The Running Thread - 2018

An overall pace of 15:00 is...well, something I hesitate to brag about on social media, but really, it's a very good pace for me!
Just remember that however slow you think your pace is, it's a substantially faster pace than those who say "I'd love to run a race some day, but I can't possibly do it" so they don't even attempt it.

I don't think I've yet posted in this thread though I used to post on and off in last year's thread!

Anyway, it's been a bit of a rough year for running for me - went from doing half marathons last year to barely running in the first half of this year (lots of reasons including change in job scope and all). Then got back into running over the last couple of months and decided to try to up my speed, and am running my fastest ever 2.4km (1.5 mile) runs, but not being able to run anywhere near as far as I used to last year.

And to top it all off - over the last couple of weeks I've started getting a niggling ache in my shin - first right, and now both shins. The ache is really obvious over the first few minutes of a run and then it goes away. Hoping it's not shin splints (never had it before so not sure what to expect)...

Though I guess on the upside, at least I'm running fairly regularly now, which is a marked improvement from the first half of the year for me!

I don't think I've yet posted in this thread though I used to post on and off in last year's thread!

Anyway, it's been a bit of a rough year for running for me - went from doing half marathons last year to barely running in the first half of this year (lots of reasons including change in job scope and all). Then got back into running over the last couple of months and decided to try to up my speed, and am running my fastest ever 2.4km (1.5 mile) runs, but not being able to run anywhere near as far as I used to last year.

And to top it all off - over the last couple of weeks I've started getting a niggling ache in my shin - first right, and now both shins. The ache is really obvious over the first few minutes of a run and then it goes away. Hoping it's not shin splints (never had it before so not sure what to expect)...

Though I guess on the upside, at least I'm running fairly regularly now, which is a marked improvement from the first half of the year for me!
Welcome back! Haven’t dealt with shin splints myself but they totally sidelined a running friend for weeks. How old are your shoes? Some PT exercises might ward off further pain.

Welcome back! Haven’t dealt with shin splints myself but they totally sidelined a running friend for weeks. How old are your shoes? Some PT exercises might ward off further pain.
I used to have a bad problem with shin splints before I knew much about running. Best suggestion I ever had was to go to the local running store (Trak Shak BHM - shout out) and have my gait analyzed. They put me in a moderate stability shoe (Saucony Guides) and I haven't had shin splints in over 6 years (knock on wood...)

Consider a stretching exercise. One good one is to kneel on the floor and then sit back on your heels. It stretches out the top of your feet, too. And if you lean back on your hands, you can get the quads. It's one of my post-run go-to's.

Houston Half recap - The plan was to run this as a supported long tempo run. Mission accomplished.

The weather the previous two mornings had been in the low 50s, and they were forcasting upper 50s for SUnday morning....uhmmm, they missed...it was probably around 65 and dewpoint in the low 60s. yuck. Not what I was wishing for. Oh well, that was the hand dealt, so lets play.

The race starts with a 2 mile loop through the SW portion of downtown, and then a nice little 11 mile out and back along Allen Parkway and Memorial drive. I was hoping to run with the 1:45 pace group at the start of the race, but the folks running the race decided to try and keep everyone in Sam Houston park until close to the race, and than walk us to the start line. This did not allow folks to try and place themselves according to expected pace. They did this last year as well, and I think many folks just decided not to go in the park, and stayed out by the start line. So being near the front at the exit of the park, the starting corral was very crowded when we finally walked into the corral. Somehow, I was between the 1:40 group and the 1:45.

For some reason, the 1:40 pace leaders were running very slowly for a 1:40 and I passed them before mile 3 (while running just under 8 minute miles). Since the GPS has major issues in downtown Houston (watch had me at 13.29 miles), I went with the race provided splits for the race (every 3 miles).

Start to mile 3 - 23:33
3-6 - 23:45
6-9 - 23:21
9-12 - 23:04
12-13.1 - 8:32

Around mile 7.5, we hit the u-turn back towards downtown, and this means running right into the rising sun, which was brutal this morning. Kinda blinded for periods of time, while weaving to shade from trees.

Overall, I finished at 1:42:15. Legs felt kinda heavy for most the race, which was not surprising, since I did not taper at all for today. Overall, I am happy with the results.

Today, the race was also RRCA state half championship event, so their were some speedy people running today. The leaders were about 3 miles in front of me when I was at mile 6....

Overall 357 of 3981, Age group 25 of 169, Male, 292 of 2936. It looks like there was a lot of attrition during the race, thanks to the temps. My place at each checkpoint - mile 3 - 483, 6 - 441, 9 - 403, 12 - 362, finish - 357, so even though I was fairly steady during the race, I was passing folks most of the race....and being passed by others as well....

Fantastic time! Way to go!
I'm guessing buggered = tired.
Yep

My Kiwi friend explained bugger to me with this video...

Classic ad, and perfectly sums it up

And it has a WHOLE different meaning if you are from the UK.
I’m aware of this alternate meaning

ETA, a bit more on the backstory of the use of the phrase in NZ below:
“In 1956 All Black Peter Jones earned himself a place in history, not just for his rugby playing, but for words uttered after a test match win over South Africa's Springboks. Straight after the game, Jones told a radio journalist – in true Kiwi bloke form – 'I'm absolutely buggered.' Jones didn't realise that his words were being broadcast live to the nation, in an era when 'buggered' was not a word to be used in such a public setting. The All Black's victory shielded him from criticism, though it did cause a flap in the halls of the New Zealand Broadcasting Service.”

Last edited:
Quick Half Marathon report from the Hot Cuder Hustle in Green Bay, WI.

Weather was atrocious. It was 42 degrees, raining, NW wind about 10-15 mph at the start.

Course winds along the Fox River trail along Green Bay. It is an out and back and pretty flat, and would have been a gorgeous run on a nicer day.

Run out was not too bad as it was downwind. At the turnaround I was about 8 mins behind my PR pace, so I decided to kick it in and see if I could make it up. Rain picked up and running into the wind it was really tough. Couldn’t quite make it up:finished 2 minutes off my PR at 2:26:54.

Glad it is done! Last race of the year, so now I will be in maintain mode for the rest of the year: 3 mi Tues/Thurs with 5 or so on the weekend.

Race Report - Auckland Marathon

Executive Summary (for those who don't want to read my waffle)
  • A goal 3:40:00
  • B goal 3:30:00 (should have changed my A goal to this in hindsight. Trust the Training)
  • Net time 3:30:09

Waffle
This is my first marathon in 10 years, after 3 consecutive years of the AKL Marathon ('06, '07 & '08). PB came in 2007 with a 3:20:54. Secon kiddo arrived in 2009 ending my marathon running for a few years. Cue forward to 2006 and I had my worst running year for a long time with only 385km under the belt. The start of 2017 I decided to get serious again and this coincided with me discovering this awesome community of people who are as nutty about running as they are about Disney! 2017 saw me run 1760km incuding a half marathon. 2018 goal became 2018km in 2018, I did a half in May and had been contemplating another full, when a work colleague said he had entered. I completed my registration that nught.

For training, I decided to try a Garmin training plan. The advantage of this is it was heart rate based (I live in a hilly area making pace based training challenging) and had the added benefit of being able to send the training plan automatically to my watch. This made it super easy to follow the plan without me having to remember and manage laps during the run, or manually create each workout. The plan was also a good mix of workouts and easy running, and importantly for me had the longer runs on the weekend.

Training went well and I felt good coming in to the weekend. I was pretty sure based on pacing during training 3:30 would be achievable, so that's what I targeted when planning my race execution. I had a "what if" scenario in my head as I knew I could run faster but simply didn't know for how long. The forecast was not looking good for the weekend with rain falling at various points, and rain is my kryptonite... Fortunately the worst of the rain had cleared come Sunday morning, with some light drizzle just before the start. Temps were good at around 15C/60F. Though the rain had stopped the roads were still wet, and in some parts annoyingly slippery. I swear each shoe had picked up 2 gallons of water by the time I got to the end (felt like it anyway...)

I managed a reasonable starting position in the corrals, and it only took 20 seconds to get across the timing mat. The first 5km were solid, taking 24:43 mins (4:57 pace). It was pretty crowded trough but starting to spread out. I wasn't far from the 3:30 pace group so had a bit of a push to catch up. I stayed with them for the next 25km, though should have used them more strategically than I did. First error was deciding they were a bit slow so I ran past them only to discover a bit of a headwind they were sheltering me from. I fell back in to the pack and took the wind shelter where I could. Drink stations were plentiful (about every 4km) and I was following my gel fuelling plan, taking one every 45 mins (where drink stations allowed).

Everything was going well up until the 34km mark. 5km splits were 24:43, 24:04, 24:53, 23:45, 23:57, 24:48. I started going slower than my planned 5 minute KM pace from 34 onwards, though managed to pull it back a bit for kms 36 & 37. I had forgotten how hard marathons were, and really struggled through 38, 39 & 40 with my slowest taking 5:21. There was an evil headwind at this point. There was a drink station around 39km that had flat Coke - I had been holding out for this one - and had a big gulp of that sugary caffeinated goodness. It did the trick an I was able to start pushing for the last 2km, with a 4:58 followed by a 4:24 heading home. I crossed the line relieved it was over.

The body held up well, I had prepared well for potential wet weather chafing but clearly not enough, as I found out in the shower!
The usual bits were well prepared but turns out I can get chafing in my butt crack!

I was really pleased with the result, I left nothing on the course, though I am now curious as to how I can get faster, as I know there is more pace in my legs just not sure how it will translate to endurance. Might need to do some reading or perhaps splash on a @DopeyBadger plan! His website had me coming in at 3:30 based on my May half at the lower end of his plan and a 3:20 for the higher end, so I know it's there somewhere!

No photos yet sorry, phone was double bagged for the run so didn't take any during, and haven't got the event ones yet.

Now to think of my next race!

Ugh, wake up this morning to a stuffy nose and scratchy throat. NOT what I want the week before my first HM. Although I am hopeful it is a minor illness, as I ran yesterday (my last longish run before the race next weekend) and did fine, normally my first sign of illness is a crummy run with no energy.

Congrats to all those who raced this weekend!

Race Report - Auckland Marathon

Executive Summary (for those who don't want to read my waffle)
  • A goal 3:40:00
  • B goal 3:30:00 (should have changed my A goal to this in hindsight. Trust the Training)
  • Net time 3:30:09

Waffle
This is my first marathon in 10 years, after 3 consecutive years of the AKL Marathon ('06, '07 & '08). PB came in 2007 with a 3:20:54. Secon kiddo arrived in 2009 ending my marathon running for a few years. Cue forward to 2006 and I had my worst running year for a long time with only 385km under the belt. The start of 2017 I decided to get serious again and this coincided with me discovering this awesome community of people who are as nutty about running as they are about Disney! 2017 saw me run 1760km incuding a half marathon. 2018 goal became 2018km in 2018, I did a half in May and had been contemplating another full, when a work colleague said he had entered. I completed my registration that nught.

For training, I decided to try a Garmin training plan. The advantage of this is it was heart rate based (I live in a hilly area making pace based training challenging) and had the added benefit of being able to send the training plan automatically to my watch. This made it super easy to follow the plan without me having to remember and manage laps during the run, or manually create each workout. The plan was also a good mix of workouts and easy running, and importantly for me had the longer runs on the weekend.

Training went well and I felt good coming in to the weekend. I was pretty sure based on pacing during training 3:30 would be achievable, so that's what I targeted when planning my race execution. I had a "what if" scenario in my head as I knew I could run faster but simply didn't know for how long. The forecast was not looking good for the weekend with rain falling at various points, and rain is my kryptonite... Fortunately the worst of the rain had cleared come Sunday morning, with some light drizzle just before the start. Temps were good at around 15C/60F. Though the rain had stopped the roads were still wet, and in some parts annoyingly slippery. I swear each shoe had picked up 2 gallons of water by the time I got to the end (felt like it anyway...)

I managed a reasonable starting position in the corrals, and it only took 20 seconds to get across the timing mat. The first 5km were solid, taking 24:43 mins (4:57 pace). It was pretty crowded trough but starting to spread out. I wasn't far from the 3:30 pace group so had a bit of a push to catch up. I stayed with them for the next 25km, though should have used them more strategically than I did. First error was deciding they were a bit slow so I ran past them only to discover a bit of a headwind they were sheltering me from. I fell back in to the pack and took the wind shelter where I could. Drink stations were plentiful (about every 4km) and I was following my gel fuelling plan, taking one every 45 mins (where drink stations allowed).

Everything was going well up until the 34km mark. 5km splits were 24:43, 24:04, 24:53, 23:45, 23:57, 24:48. I started going slower than my planned 5 minute KM pace from 34 onwards, though managed to pull it back a bit for kms 36 & 37. I had forgotten how hard marathons were, and really struggled through 38, 39 & 40 with my slowest taking 5:21. There was an evil headwind at this point. There was a drink station around 39km that had flat Coke - I had been holding out for this one - and had a big gulp of that sugary caffeinated goodness. It did the trick an I was able to start pushing for the last 2km, with a 4:58 followed by a 4:24 heading home. I crossed the line relieved it was over.

The body held up well, I had prepared well for potential wet weather chafing but clearly not enough, as I found out in the shower!
The usual bits were well prepared but turns out I can get chafing in my butt crack!

I was really pleased with the result, I left nothing on the course, though I am now curious as to how I can get faster, as I know there is more pace in my legs just not sure how it will translate to endurance. Might need to do some reading or perhaps splash on a @DopeyBadger plan! His website had me coming in at 3:30 based on my May half at the lower end of his plan and a 3:20 for the higher end, so I know it's there somewhere!

No photos yet sorry, phone was double bagged for the run so didn't take any during, and haven't got the event ones yet.

Now to think of my next race!

Great race and great recap! Flat Coke is somehow the greatest thing ever come the last few miles of a race, it is magical stuff.

Ugh, wake up this morning to a stuffy nose and scratchy throat. NOT what I want the week before my first HM. Although I am hopeful it is a minor illness, as I ran yesterday (my last longish run before the race next weekend) and did fine, normally my first sign of illness is a crummy run with no energy.

Congrats to all those who raced this weekend!

Personally, I would start downing Zicam and Emergen-C. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter