The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I wear custom inserts from a prosthetic company. They are EXPENSIVE. However i have been wearing custom inserts for the 30 years. I started at 15 when i was playing high school sports. I even have custom dress orthotics for dressier shoes. I can only not wear my orthotics for about 2 days at most and i will have excruciating foot pain to the point that i will walk on the sides of my feet. I went for a period where i had worn them out. i was a good year past due for a new pair. I thought about trying to go without orthotics since it felt like i had been doing that for the last 6 months. The issue was I was hurting, my running was hurting. I got new orthotics. I will say I wish i did not have them, but at this point I have relied on them for so long, i won't go back to not wearing them. I have a pretty casual office so i get away with wearing big shoes that will hold my orthotics. My feet have not hurt because of it. i know when i don't wear them.

ATTQOTD shoes’ inserts: Because nobody knows for sure what caused my Achiles tendon pain last November (heel of the shoe rubbing or not enough incline?) the podiastrist sold me 1/4in (4mm) heel inserts. I have put them in my running shoes and, with taping for the long runs, it seems to have helped. I might try another brand of shoes in the future to see if it makes a difference but as a temporary solution to use my many pairs of Nimbus, the inserts will do.

Last edited:
I use Superfeet. Blue for training and trail running shoes, and Carbon for the racing shoes. I had a few muscle issues with my foot when I started running and adding the insoles helped. At this point it very well may be placebo effect but if it isn't broken...

How is it to wear different inserts for training and races?

I’m with you about the placebo! I don’t really know differently, so I’m not sure if it helps. I know it doesn’t hurt!

QOTD: Lets discuss running inserts for your shoes today! Do you have any sort of insert for your shoes and if so why?
I was prescribed custom orthotics by my podiatrist following a bad case of PF in 2015. I wore them religiously for over two years. Then, last June I stopped at the Hoka booth at the RnR expo to try on some Machs. I was fitted by a man who owns a local running store and he asked why I was wearing the orthotics. I told him I had PF. He said, “you HAD PF. Why are you still wearing them?” It was like a lightbulb went off! He had some concerns about the small lift in the heel, the rigidity of the arch and what they were doing to the mechanics of my foot. Everything he said made sense! He fitted me in the Gaviota, a stability shoe, and I have been running in them sans orthotics ever since.

ATTQOTD shoes’ inserts: Because nobody knows for sure what caused my Achiles tendon pain last November (heel of the shoe rubbing or not enough incline?) the podiastrist sold me 1/4in (4mm) heel inserts. I have put them in my running shoes and, with taping for the long runs, it seems to have helped. I might try another brand of shoes in the future to see if it makes a difference but as a temporary solution to used my many pairs of Nimbus, the inserts will do.

You mentioning the Nimbus reminded me of something. I went to the Asics outlet Saturday. My daughter needs new sneakers. I figured while she's looking, I might as well, right? :sad2: I tired on the Nimbus, didn't like them. I tried on the Cummulus, which is my secondary model, didn't like them. Panic began to set in. I tried on 3 other models I don't normally wear and didn't like any of those either. Thankfully I have two brand new pair ready to go in my closet while I try and figure out how I am going to survive this unwelcomed development. She didn't like any either. Has me wondering if Asics has changed something because we can both normally find at least one pair we love. We were at an outlet mall so I tried on another brand as we were shopping and the only thing that remotely felt OK was a pair of Saucony, but I'm not sure they were any better than the Asics. The problem is, I had my old Asics Nimbus 17's on, which I LOVE so nothing felt good in comparison. Why do these companies need to change anything.

You mentioning the Nimbus reminded me of something. I went to the Asics outlet Saturday. My daughter needs new sneakers. I figured while she's looking, I might as well, right? :sad2: I tired on the Nimbus, didn't like them. I tried on the Cummulus, which is my secondary model, didn't like them. Panic began to set in. I tried on 3 other models I don't normally wear and didn't like any of those either. Thankfully I have two brand new pair ready to go in my closet while I try and figure out how I am going to survive this unwelcomed development. She didn't like any either. Has me wondering if Asics has changed something because we can both normally find at least one pair we love. We were at an outlet mall so I tried on another brand as we were shopping and the only thing that remotely felt OK was a pair of Saucony, but I'm not sure they were any better than the Asics. The problem is, I had my old Asics Nimbus 17's on, which I LOVE so nothing felt good in comparison. Why do these companies need to change anything.
ASICS changed their Nimbus models, mostly the toebox, starting with the 19. If you end up buying them, they have to be at least a half size bigger. I had Saucony a long long time ago so I cannot say anything about them. I might endup in a running store for a fitting one of these days, maybe that is also your best bet... They definitely should know about the Nimbus evolution!

All shoe companies do this now. It drives me crazy and sometimes takes me a while to find new shoes that work.

When I find shoes that work for me, I buy a bunch of them and put them away until needed. Look online for your older shoe model that works for you. Maybe you will get lucky and find some.

All shoe companies do this now. It drives me crazy and sometimes takes me a while to find new shoes that work.

When I find shoes that work for me, I buy a bunch of them and put them away until needed. Look online for your older shoe model that works for you. Maybe you will get lucky and find some.

This is me too. I stock up at expos & online sales. I'm down to my last pair of Kayano-22. Sure hope the new 25 model works for me.

ASICS changed their Nimbus models, mostly the toebox, starting with the 19. If you end up buying them, they have to be at least a half size bigger. I had Saucony a long long time ago so I cannot say anything about them. I might endup in a running store for a fitting one of these days, maybe that is also your best bet... They definitely should know about the Nimbus evolution!
+1. I have been a long time Asics shoe wearer and for the Nimbus 19 I had to go up one half size and I was fine. I bought 6 pairs of them on clearance and I love them. They are definitely different than the 17's. I just bought a pair of the 20's as they are now on clearance and they are almost identical to the 19's. The 21's are out and they seem to be a different shoe so I will probably stock up on the 20's before they are gone and then take my chances on the 21's and beyond...

How is it to wear different inserts for training and races?

I’m with you about the placebo! I don’t really know differently, so I’m not sure if it helps. I know it doesn’t hurt!

I don't notice the difference really. The carbon were a little thinner for the racing shoes so they fit better..

Same here. I liked the first two versions of the Adidas Energy boost, but v3 was a pretty drastic change and wound up hurting my foot. I'm in nike odyssey reacts now which I can get pretty cheap.

I am torn because I am intrigued by new shoe tech like the zoom fly and zoom fly 4%, but at the same time I feel like most of the changes are change for change sake and don't actually improve the shoe.

QOTD: What are some topics that yall would like to see discussed? PM me or reply here with the ideas please!

ATTQOTD: I'm running low on ideas and time. Unfortunately that situation is about 4-6 weeks from improving as I work on what will be the largest lump sum bid our company will propose. Intense times, risk is high, but the reward could be massive!

QOTD: What are some topics that yall would like to see discussed? PM me or reply here with the ideas please!

ATTQOTD: I'm running low on ideas and time. Unfortunately that situation is about 4-6 weeks from improving as I work on what will be the largest lump sum bid our company will propose. Intense times, risk is high, but the reward could be massive!
I need more coffee before pondering ideas - I'll be back... IDK how you've come up with a new one every day for so long!

Some thoughts not sure if these have been asked before:
What do you do to help with running on sunny days. Do you wear a hat, visor, or sunglasses. If so what type and why?
Do your family members run and do you run with them?
Outside of Disney have you ever done a running centric vacation?
What's the worst environment that you've run in?
Do you have any tricks that make you more likely to wind up with a runners high?
Have you ever gone to spectate a competitive running event? High School, College, Olympic?

Good luck on the bid.

ATTQOTD: Some random QOTD ideas, pulled from what I've seen posed in various other places - some are probably repeats here, but we always have new people who may have missed them...

Summer (hot) weather tips
Costuming - best practices for running
What to do with kids when racing? sitters, leave 'em home, etc.?
Strength training - do you? how often? what kind?
Favorite spots for medal pics at WDW?
Favorite food and/or drink available for purchase during a Disney race?

ATTQOTD: I don't know why this came to me - Running shorts liners. Do you cut them out? And if you keep them, do you wear them with or without underwear?

Costuming - best practices for running
This is a good one. I would love to get ideas for keeping running gear running gear but with the ability to overlay costumes.

ATTQOTD: Bucket list race, Dream running partner and why, If you could be any Disney character for a day who would you be, Create your own Disney course (I think we did one like this before) and I love the favorite medal picture spots question above

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter