The Running Thread - 2019

Hi everyone - I have a quick question.

For context, I began running last year, but took a couple months off due to bronchitis. When I started last year, I registered for the 2019 Star Wars 10k. I am at a 14:25 mile and my longest mileage has been about 7 miles (though I feel like I could go longer if needed) so I'm not SUPER worried about the race other than the heat. (This is saying a lot for me because when I started, I was doing couch to 5k and thought I was going to DIE on week1)

All this to say that I'm new to running and admittedly don't know nearly enough about it. I'm an interval runner. I currently do 3.5 min run to 2 min walk. However, lately when I read about interval running, it's in seconds usually - ex. 30sec/30 sec.

Is it bad to be doing longer interval runs like I'm doing? Does it matter? Eventually, I'd like to increase my running and decrease my walking and do a half marathon and then a full. I'm just trying to figure out if I train or run "wrong."

I have a lot to learn still and thought this would be a good first spot to ask.

Congratulations on the progress you have made! I am not a run/walker, so I am not in any position to intelligently comment--but that won't stop me! ;)

I wouldn't say what you're doing is wrong. It has worked for you so far, and assuming all the other things that contribute to successful training (gear, fuel, sleep, mileage progression, etc) are working, then I echo the comment not to mess with it for your upcoming race.

If your future goal is to remain a run/walker (as opposed to all running), then I guess Galloway, et al are good references. Just don't feel compelled to follow a plan just because it's supposed to be "right". Follow one that works for your body, your fitness level, your goals, etc. Modify as needed.

Good luck

For context, I began running last year, but took a couple months off due to bronchitis. When I started last year, I registered for the 2019 Star Wars 10k. I am at a 14:25 mile and my longest mileage has been about 7 miles (though I feel like I could go longer if needed) so I'm not SUPER worried about the race other than the heat. (This is saying a lot for me because when I started, I was doing couch to 5k and thought I was going to DIE on week1)

All this to say that I'm new to running and admittedly don't know nearly enough about it. I'm an interval runner. I currently do 3.5 min run to 2 min walk. However, lately when I read about interval running, it's in seconds usually - ex. 30sec/30 sec.

Is it bad to be doing longer interval runs like I'm doing? Does it matter? Eventually, I'd like to increase my running and decrease my walking and do a half marathon and then a full. I'm just trying to figure out if I train or run "wrong."

From my personal experience, having tried many different intervals since my serious injuries started piling up a few years ago - walk breaks exceeding 1 minute are not necessary. And even when recovering from major abdominal surgery, with over 3 months off from any physical activity, I could handle walk breaks not exceeding one minute.

I do agree with those who have said that 30 seconds is not always enough, but 2 minutes allows for an almost complete recovery, and that is counter-productive. I have done extended run intervals, like 1 or 2 miles, with a one minute walk break. Even with run intervals that long a 2 minute break was too much. I found that if I got tired toward the end of those runs it was more helpful for me to shorten my run interval than lengthen my walk interval. I stayed stronger and my pace did not suffer as much. When I lengthened my walk interval much past one minute, restarting the next run interval was more difficult, as was getting back into my normal running pace/rhythm.

The last 2 years I have run 3 minutes, walked a minute. That worked great, but I found it hard to improve my time and fitness. This season I dropped my recovery interval to 30-45 seconds on my "workout" days and it makes a difference, but I still like 45-60 second walk breaks on my longer runs.

At some point I may eliminate the intervals again, but they have really helped me continue running while facing physical challenges.

I think you are getting good and consistent advice here. I would only add that I have experimented with several ratios and found the one that works for me which is 2.5 minutes / 30 seconds.

For you, why not try something like 2 minutes run / 1 minute walk for a few runs and see if you like it? Everyone responds a bit differently and just keep playing with the ratios until you find one you like. The ratios are also not permanent...you will find you can run more and walk less as your fitness improves over time.

When I went from a 1 minute walk to a 30 second walk last year, it was a bit of an adjustment that I liked after a few runs. Although I could not believe at first how fast 30 seconds flew by, my mind and body adjusted pretty quickly. After 30 seconds my heart rate drops as much as it will in 60 seconds so I think Galloway has some merit.

Thank you every one for all your ideas/information. I'm definitely going to experiment to see what works better for me AFTER this upcoming April race. I don't want to mess what I'm currently comfortable with, but also know that I could probably feel and do better.

Eventually I would like to do very few walk breaks overall, but that seems so far away. Then again, completing a 10k seemed unattainable just last year considering I was getting all of 0 miles in a week when I started.

Thanks again!!!

ATTQOTD: Pop up Thunderstorm with heavy soaking rain, hail, and winds at a 5k a few years ago. Could see the storm coming but couldn't outrun it. Finish line was sunny and dry.

Hey @LSUlakes....if you are swamped with work and family obligations, do you want to assign a few people to take turns running the QOTD for a few weeks? Maybe one person does it for a week, then someone else takes a turn. With all that you've done for us, I'm sure it won't be hard to get 4-5 volunteers.

I appreciate the offer and will reach out to you to start things off if I can't at least get questions started. Thanks!

It was a lightning storm. I kept a close eye on it to see how close it was getting but I could see nothing but lightning the whole 5 mile run.

I ran for the first time today since 12/7/18. It was rough. I only did 3 miles. I’m sure the biking I have been doing helped but I am nowhere near running shape. I’m sore. :teeth: The bad news, my ankles hurt for portions of the run so the 3 months off didn’t help at all. The good news is, the ankle braces I bought are very comfortable while running, as much as a brace can be that is.

The weather is supposed to be good here Saturday so I plan to do another 3 on Saturday and as long as the weather stays good I will keep running outside.

The chance to run outside came at a good time. My grandmother died on Tuesday. She was 101 so it wasn’t a “surprise” but she had been healthy up until Sunday. She went into a coma Monday and she died on Tuesday.

While I always expected it at any minute it still stressed me out this week so having the ability to finally run today really helped relax me. It just felt so good to be out there breathing the fresh air and working up a sweat. When I first started my body was so tight from head to toe. By the end I felt great.

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

I’m not running any longer. Stupid broken hip.

Whats recovery time on this? If you have any other races before that time frame I can remove them so you dont have to see the tags on upcoming races. You dont have to, but it would make me sad to be reminded about a race I cant run.

I don’t think you can really do it wrong. I’m an interval runner and generally do 2:1 or 1:1 when coming back from injury. I will say I gave 30:30 a try after hearing Jeff Galloway talk at Tink and I walked away with a nice PR! He does say that you don’t need a walking interval of any longer than 30 seconds to gain the benefits of the walk break. Since I don’t necessarily enjoy running 30:30s, I’m probably going to try 1:30 or 2:30. Just find what works best for you. It does take some experimenting.

I lived one winter in Yellowstone. Awesome!
My sister and I hiked the Highline Trail over Swiftcurrent Pass to Many Glacier in Glacier last summer. Definitely recommend either of those trails or the through hike if you can work out transportation. Beautiful!

Definitely aware of the traffic, and we plan to be out on the trails early. We’re actually staying at Swiftcurrent for 5 nights, so that’ll make things easy on that side of the park (Iceberg, Grinnell). We also have two nights at Apgar and two in East Glacier to see that part of the park.

As long as Highline is open, we will be at Logan Pass bright and early to start that hike.

Good morning everyone. Yesterday we had to say goodbye to Dixie. It may not have been the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it's definitely in the top 3. While that decision was not easy, and I wish I had more time with her, it was the right thing to do. On Friday she are some McDonald's french fries on our drive home. We hung out Friday evening BBQ'ing and playing. She had a ribeye and watermelon for dinner. She slept in our bed Friday night and got bacon for breakfast. Plenty of love from us all. I miss her so much already and the house just seems so different without her here.

IMG_1965.JPG 17353_510730941991_2440043_n.jpg IMG_1927.jpg IMG_1955.jpg IMG_1949.jpg

I appreciate the offer and will reach out to you to start things off if I can't at least get questions started. Thanks!

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Whats recovery time on this? If you have any other races before that time frame I can remove them so you dont have to see the tags on upcoming races. You dont have to, but it would make me sad to be reminded about a race I cant run.

As little as six weeks, but that seems too short to be fully healed. My stress fracture is in the compression side of the femoral neck which doesn’t require surgery. I have had zero pain in the last few days so things seem to be progressing nicely. I’ve been pool running, but wow is it so freaking boring. I think I’m going to add in exercise bike time at the gym this week.

Race Report - Badwater Cape Fear 51.4m

Badwater Cape Fear is run on Bald Head Island, a barrier island at the mouth of the Cape Fear River just south of Wilmington, NC. The southern portion of the island is accessible only by ferry and there are no cars on it, just golf carts. Lots and lots of golf carts.

My training for this race was a bit of a train wreck, so I didn’t expect to do much more than survive. I didn’t know I was running it when I finished my 50 miler in February, so I took a couple of weeks off to recuperate and then had oral surgery which set me back a couple more days. A friend came through with a bed in their rental house on the island around that time, though, so all of a sudden it was a scramble. I got one solid week of training in and then hurt my foot the next week so I shut it down under the “better undertrained than injured” clause of the runner’s manual.

The race itself starts with 12 miles on paved road and a section of maritime trail before heading out onto the beach for a double out and back totaling 39 miles. One of the appeals to this race was that it had a 50k option and after the first out and back you could bail (or if you missed the time cutoff) and still be classified as an official 50k finisher. Little did I know that changing conditions on the open beach would make each leg essentially its own course, so with the initial portion it was like running 6 different courses, all requiring their own strategies.

The race started promptly at 7:45 in the shadow of Old Baldy Lighthouse and immediately ran onto a boardwalk over the salt marshes before hitting the paved golf cart roads. Beautiful. Not much to note on this section of the race other than it was pretty with lie rolling hills and I was cranking out easy 11:30 miles. At the end we hit the maritime trail section and things changed abruptly. This was the worst single track I’ve ever run on. You had to follow pink ribbons at eye level while simultaneously not tripping over roots or cracking your head on low hanging trees. It wasn’t fun and I fell in behind 4 other runner and we just walked it.

After checking in at the Bald Head Island Conservancy (Race HQ), it was out on the beach. The tide was low and starting to rise, leaving wide sections of hard pack sand to run on. It would have been ideal if not for a 10-15mph headwind gusting at 25-35mph making headway tough and miserable. The wind was picking up loose sand from up the beach and sandblasting us with it. I was pretty windburned by the time I hit the turnaround at Fort Fisher.

On the return leg, the wind was a nice boosting tailwind, but the tide had risen to the point that it was eating a lot of the runnable sand. The leg became a continuous game of chicken as you ran the remaining good sand on the edge of the water while watching the waves washing up to avoid getting your feet soaked. I didn’t always dodge in time, but stayed “dry enough”.

A lot of that out and back was spent asking myself what the heck I was doing and did I really want to go back out after finishing the 50k. The (relative) ease of the inbound leg convinced me to go for it. I finished the leg and the 50k in 7:10 (cutoff was 8:00 for 51.4m runners).

I was having a bit of trouble with my nutrition strategy at this point, too, as the drying effect of the wind along with a little stomach discomfort made my Uncrustables unpalatable. I knew I was in trouble if I couldn’t get calories in, so I had the aid stations start filling my pack bladder with Tailwind and subsisted on Tailwind, Coke, orange slices and bananas from that point on.

Heading back outbound again after changing shoes and socks. I knew I could almost walk out the race given the 14:00 time limit. Little did I know... The tide had completely eaten the runnable sand at that point and was starting to fall. The wind had slackened a bit, but was still a significant headwind. I couldn’t find anywhere to run. Every time I tried I ended up slipping and sliding and sinking in, spending far too much energy. After 2-3 miles of trying I just gave up and walked and watched my time bleed away. By the time I got to Fort Fisher again, sand accumulation in my shoes had blistered the bottom of my left foot, making it hard to walk. I did as much as I could for it, mole skinning and double socking, but it wasn’t going to be a pretty return trip. Hard-learned tip: gaiters are your friend on sand!

Fortunately, the time walking the third leg along with the repair work at the aid station had bought some time for the tide to recede and the sand to dry and harden. I was reenergized from the rest and was able to get back to run/walking in the mid-13:00s on the way back. The wind had largely calmed and the sunset was gorgeous as I made my way back down the beach. It was interesting running the beach in total darkness trying to locate the route markers to the finish. Another tip, check the batteries in your headlamp before the race. It doesn’t help when it dies on you in the darkness.

I ended up rolling in to the finish with an unofficial 12:48:54 finish. I’m very happy with that, given the conditions faced. This was by far the most beautiful course I’ve run and would not hesitate to do it again. And I got my first belt buckle! Woohoo!!

As always, thanks for bearing with me through another long winded race report. It was a great, fulfilling weekend, but I am looking forward to a little rest after a lot of long races the past 6 months.

CA3C8C82-3D79-4D18-A96E-3BC624AAB9E4.jpeg

The starting line at Old Baldy Lighthouse.

E06D9755-7E56-4536-8051-8C500B7CEA05.jpeg

Time to hit the beach!

50D9E8FC-5004-4B80-BB9E-1A6E394A5B5A.jpeg

This is what I saw all day Saturday. Except half the time the water was on the left.

972AEA79-A7AE-4ECE-AE0C-99FF1A4F86C5.png

The route.

B09D59EE-B9B7-4DD1-9852-813AE2A578A2.jpeg

All for my first belt buckle!

Good morning everyone. Yesterday we had to say goodbye to Dixie. It may not have been the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it's definitely in the top 3. While that decision was not easy, and I wish I had more time with her, it was the right thing to do. On Friday she are some McDonald's french fries on our drive home. We hung out Friday evening BBQ'ing and playing. She had a ribeye and watermelon for dinner. She slept in our bed Friday night and got bacon for breakfast. Plenty of love from us all. I miss her so much already and the house just seems so different without her here.

View attachment 388793 View attachment 388794 View attachment 388795 View attachment 388796 View attachment 388797
This just breaks my heart. I’m wishing you and your family the best as you go through this difficult time. paw:

Definitely aware of the traffic, and we plan to be out on the trails early. We’re actually staying at Swiftcurrent for 5 nights, so that’ll make things easy on that side of the park (Iceberg, Grinnell). We also have two nights at Apgar and two in East Glacier to see that part of the park.

As long as Highline is open, we will be at Logan Pass bright and early to start that hike.
We were lucky to have someone able to drop us off at Logan Pass for the Highline Trail and then pick us up at Swiftcurrent. It made for a great long day hike. Also, we were there a little after the fire last year, and the west entrance was closed. Thankfully our hike day, the smoke was down and it was a pretty clear day. We made a base camp at St. Mary’s and were able to make good day trips to all the different areas from the east side and up to Waterton.

Hope you have fun!

@LSUlakes beautiful tribute to Dixie. She is precious.

@camaker fantastic job finishing that beach! Omg you are amazing. Give yourself some recovery time. I am just starting to get back into the swing of things. I have a pain in my butt so not pushing anything yet but hope to work some speed when it recovers.

Here's something I wrote a while back explaining some of the possible science/physiology explanations to run/walk ratios:

Some science for run/walk methodology

Hope it helps!

@LSUlakes ...sorry to hear about Dixie...it’s difficult to say goodbye to a loyal friend.
—————-

Had a great 8 mile run today...the was out! It was 32 but felt warmer!! Spring may show up here after all!!

From my personal experience, having tried many different intervals since my serious injuries started piling up a few years ago - walk breaks exceeding 1 minute are not necessary. And even when recovering from major abdominal surgery, with over 3 months off from any physical activity, I could handle walk breaks not exceeding one minute.

I do agree with those who have said that 30 seconds is not always enough, but 2 minutes allows for an almost complete recovery, and that is counter-productive. I have done extended run intervals, like 1 or 2 miles, with a one minute walk break. Even with run intervals that long a 2 minute break was too much. I found that if I got tired toward the end of those runs it was more helpful for me to shorten my run interval than lengthen my walk interval. I stayed stronger and my pace did not suffer as much. When I lengthened my walk interval much past one minute, restarting the next run interval was more difficult, as was getting back into my normal running pace/rhythm.

The last 2 years I have run 3 minutes, walked a minute. That worked great, but I found it hard to improve my time and fitness. This season I dropped my recovery interval to 30-45 seconds on my "workout" days and it makes a difference, but I still like 45-60 second walk breaks on my longer runs.

At some point I may eliminate the intervals again, but they have really helped me continue running while facing physical challenges.

My experience is similar. I started interval running by doing a couch to 5K program. I got to the point where I was doing 5:00/1:00, and I was hating it. Then I found Galloway and realized I could set whatever intervals I wanted. I kept lowering the run until I got to 1:00/1:00. I heard him say that more than 30 seconds of walking wasn’t necessary, so I wanted to give it a try. It was not enough for me if I was running for a minute, but I just kept trying different intervals until I found what felt good. I settled on either :30/:30 or :15/:15 until recently. I wanted to see if I could change my intervals to improve my pace, but I just don’t feel good running more than :30 at a time. I lowered my walk to :15 and I am loving this combination. I am getting faster all the time, without doing any speed work, and I’m feeling great.

For @StacyStrong all of this was to say...if your intervals are working for you, great. I just think it’s worth tinkering with a little just to experiment and see what happens. You May find that you can walk less if you run less, and you may like it...or you may not! That’s the great thing about running. It’s your race, your pace.

View attachment 388793 View attachment 388794 View attachment 388795 View attachment 388796 View attachment 388797

I’m so sorry. She was a beauty. It seems like you gave her a really good life. This was definitely one of the hardest things I ever had to do as well. I am here to tell you that you’ll get through it though. You’ll always remember her, but it will get easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter