• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: Do you have family members that run? Do you run with them or just have general running discussions with them?

ATTQOTD: Until recently I was the only runner in my family. Any talk of running with a family member resulted in a quick glazing over of the eyes. Over the last year or so, my younger daughter has started running, so I've been able to give her advice and have someone to talk running to. We've never run together, though.

ATTQOTD: My husband runs occasionally. He ran the Star Wars 10k with me on Saturday and that is probably the last race we will do together. He wasn’t trained and wanted to run a lot faster in the beginning than I wanted to or thought he should. We didn’t agree on a strategy because he didn’t decide that he was going to run until the night before. He was gassed by the the time we made it to Epcot and we still had two miles to go. Our oldest just turned 8 and has expressed some interest in running so I still might have a running partner after all!

QOTD: Do you have family members that run? Do you run with them or just have general running discussions with them?

My mom used to run laps around the high school track when I had football practice. So she used to do about 4-5 miles at about a 10-12 min/mile back in the early 2000s. When I picked up running in 2012, she got inspired to pick it back up again. She ran the Disney 5k in 2014, Disney 10k in 2015, Disney HM in 2016, Disney M in 2017, and Dopey in 2018 (age 61 I believe). She's done a smattering of races throughout the process with me as well. She plans to run the Disney HM in 2020. I don't run with her, but we have running discussions all the time. More so when she was really just getting into the longer distances. But she's SUPER stubborn. She hates the idea of "train slow to race fast" regardless of the data I show her. She likes competing on the treadmills with the local 20 somethings and "beating them". :rolleyes2 She has a hard time dropping that Type A, super competitive personality.

My younger sister picked up running slightly before I did in 2012 and ran 5k through marathon. But she's slowed down on running with hip, knee, and back issues. We've had a few conversations about running, but nothing extensive.

My wife, Steph, picked up running before I did in 2012 as well. She saw it as a means to get healthier. And she did well enough with it that it partially inspired me to try running as well in the summer of 2012 as a means to continue my weight loss. We used to "run together" because at the time we didn't have my daughter yet. I say "run together" because we would leave the house together and start running at the same time, but we ran at our own paces. We turned it into a little game where we'd both start at the same time and run for the same duration, but I'd have to go further. Whoever finished first had to add a little distance to the next run to try and even us out. Led to some epic sprints down the streets to see who would finish first. Used to do something similar back when we played 1v1 full court bball. She's done a few races, including some Disney HMs. But the running has definitely tapered off for her as G has gotten older. We used to trade off days of working out or day/evening. But eventually she decided it was too much for her. These days we do 80DO at 4:30am instead as our morning routine together (and G just sleeps). She listens to my running discussions whenever I go off on my tangents.

My daughter started run racing from the beginning with a diaper dash before she was one back in Disney 2015. She's done a few 100m races at Disney, a 400m race locally, a 1000m race locally, and we've got a few more planned throughout the year. She likes spectating and participating. We don't have in-depth conversations about running though as she's only 5. We've done one training run together and I imagine we'll do a few more once it gets warmer out.

ATTQOTD: My husband runs with me. He ran his first marathon last year, just to prove to himself he could do it. While he did that, I ran/walked the half marathon. We both felt miserable at the end. He was happy to never run again, I was fired up to do it better. So he still runs, because I like having a buddy :chat:. He's signing up for Dopey today.... again, just to prove something to himself. And so the kids can have fun medals.

Alright folks! The race list is current in the OP! Please look over the list to let me know of any errors... They are likely to have been made.

Also, I have the following that I was not able to completely tie to either a date/race name/user/ ect and would like to correct if I can. See below

3:26:14 @dis_or_dat pr

4/6/19 - @*DisneyDreamer – 2:23:47 PR

@PaDisneyCouple Mr. Indian Rock 10k NG/1:00

@JulieODC – 5k – 29:18, 10 Mi 1:40:24, half 2:09:44

My big work project should be over in another week or so, which means I will be able to keep up with the thread by then. Also I forgot this morning was registration for school for DD. Shes getting so BIG!
My race was the Milwaukee Half Marathon! I guess I never posted in this thread that I was running it so it wasn’t in the first post.

My wife and both of our boys have run with me. All have finished at least one rD half marathon with me. My oldest son may be done with running due to recurring IT band issues. He has read about ways to resolve the problem but just doesn't enjoy running enough to put in the work right now.

We are getting ready to book another cruise with Carnival. Every time I price Disney cruises and just can't bring myself to pay 2 or 2.5 times the price for an equivalent cruise.

We decided to go big and pay the disney $ since it may be our one and done only cruise. Famous last words. We all know I'm lying to myself.

ATTQOTD: My Dad ran throughout my childhood. He was part of an Indianapolis running club and also coached/was a pacer. I did many 1 mile kids runs or short walks with my mom and sister while my Dad ran. All of my pajamas were giant cotton free race shirts. My father-in-law runs a lot and he is what prompted me to start running because we would go cheer him on at the race and I wanted to stop being a bystander. My husband started running shortly after I did and then became a triathlete. I've run many races with them both, but only a handful actually running together. We tend to meet up at the finisher areas as we all have different paces.
My sister has started running and we plan to do a disney 5k or 10k sometime in the hopefully near future. My daughter has done a few kids runs and she would like to run a 5k with me "when she is 7 or 10"...her words.

No one in my family runs. I talk about running with you guys and on the Marathon Weekend thread. I'm a member of a local running club, so I talk to them at races and fun runs, when I'm able to go.

My kids will be 3 and 5 this year, so I'm hoping to get them into it more. Right now, they just do my running club's kids race in September - I think my oldest will be at the 1/4-mile distance and my youngest will be at the 100-yard distance this year.

I'd like to do more with them, but it is super rare to find anything shorter than a 5k around here.

Are people allowed to run early in the morning through the disney springs shopping area? or do they have it closed off somehow?

I'm staying at the Wyndham which connects by a bridge on a Sat and Sun before my cruise and I'd love to be able to run around outside instead of a hotel gym.

ATTQOTD: I am the last of my nuclear family to run. DH used to, but switched to cycling. DS, we made him do XC in HS, but he dropped that as soon as he was out of the house! DD is the fastest runner in the family, and the one who loves running the most. It will be a lietime thing for her, which is great.

I will talk a little running with DD--right now, it's figuring out what to wear on Monday for rainy, windy, 50's.

ATTQOTD:
Not really. My dad used to go to the track with me back in junior high to run but I think that was mainly just to appease me. I'm doing a kids one mile run with my six year old niece next month during the marathon weekend here so hopefully that's planting the seeds for a future runner.

Are people allowed to run early in the morning through the disney springs shopping area? or do they have it closed off somehow?

I'm staying at the Wyndham which connects by a bridge on a Sat and Sun before my cruise and I'd love to be able to run around outside instead of a hotel gym.

I have read--on these threads--that Disney Security will not allow you to run through DS before it opens. You could try walking over to SS and doing the path that goes through there an OKW.

Both my wife and I took up running seriously about the same time. We've done all sorts of races together since then, and she is faster than me. Always has been.

We have a daughter who plays soccer, and ran cross country and track last year. She does some running, but I think she does not like the longer distances.

My son, I suspect, is different. I trained him for a 5K last year, and he did really good. Decided to run track this year, but I think he struggles at the shorter distances. We decided to sign both kids up for the Star Wars 10K this past weekend. Other than his track training, he really had not run any type of long runs. I expected him to struggle some in the heat. Nope. We started together, and he was gone before I hit mile 1. Kid barely broke a sweat and finished in less than an hour. Before this, he had never run more than 4 miles. His first queestion to me after the race was when could he run a half marathon. I'm thinking we might try to train him for a 15K before jumping up to the half distance, but kid might have some natural ability.

ATTQOTD: DH also runs but since he injured himself at the full, he hasn’t done too much. He’s finally getting into PT to fix his knee. Luckily it’s nothing too serious but W&D this year might be just walking for him.

ATTQOTD: I've gotten my daughters to do an occasional 5k with me, but that's it. I think I can get them to do a Disney 10k eventually. The rest of my family doesn't run.

We are getting ready to book another cruise with Carnival. Every time I price Disney cruises and just can't bring myself to pay 2 or 2.5 times the price for an equivalent cruise.

For years, I would price out the Disney Cruise and then price out a vacation to Disney World and the cruise always made Disney World look like a bargain, so we'd end up going back there most of the time. I've done two Disney cruises and I love them and there's nothing like them, but they are expensive!

I was chased off last week. I have successfully parked for free at resorts having the fun runs, so if you have a car you could head over to POFQ on a Sunday. You could just do laps on your own, or do your laps and then join the fun run and eat tasty fried dough. I think in the AM you could probably sweet talk most of the not-on-the-monorail resort parking people to let you park and run.

ATTQOTD: My daughter (10) is interested in running, so I have been encouraging to her. Supposed to be running the 5k together (her first race) on saturday, but yesterday she had a fever, so now that is up in the air.

ATTQOTD: My older brother runs, but I've never run with him nor do we talk about it. Both of his kids run as well. As for my immediate family no one runs. My daughter did ask last minute to sign up for the 5k at W&D so we will see. She seems to be more interested in costume design than training at this point...:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter