The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: No kids, so I usually make an easter candy run the day or two later when it goes on clearance. Unless I spot nerds jelly beans before.

At Easter dinner, I got lectured by my parents and older brother about how crazy I am to be doing 4 races in 4 days in January. And how at my age, I am going to do permanent damage to my body. My father, who has been a runner his entire adult life but has never run a race, not even a 5K, looked me straight in the eye and asked me what I was trying to prove by doing this.

It goes to show you that even when you are 50+ years old, your parents will still treat you like you are in Junior High School :(
Very true. During training for every race or shortly before the race, I will get the "human body is not meant to run" lecture from my mom. I ignore it and run anyways.

As for what are we trying to prove? That answer is unique to each person. And if someone doesn't want to understand why we want to test ourselves, that's their loss.

ATTQOTD: This was the first year we did not do candy for our kids who are both in college. They each got a Starbucks gift card instead.

At Easter dinner, I got lectured by my parents and older brother about how crazy I am to be doing 4 races in 4 days in January. And how at my age, I am going to do permanent damage to my body. My father, who has been a runner his entire adult life but has never run a race, not even a 5K, looked me straight in the eye and asked me what I was trying to prove by doing this.

It goes to show you that even when you are 50+ years old, your parents will still treat you like you are in Junior High School :(

Amazing how they can't just be supportive. They could just say we think you're nuts but good luck.

Sorry you had to hear that. I got a similar thing last week from one of my sisters prior to running Boston (slightly injured). I cut her off before she got half the sentence out. Non-runners just don't get it (not always, anyway).

ATTQOTD: well let's see. The Reese's eggs never made it into the basket :rolleyes1 the kit kats are disappearing faster than the Arctic ice is melting, and the Hershey's eggs are also rapidly decreasing in number. The sour patch kids are safe. I hate those things.

Also, today is Dyngus Day, which is celebrated in Cleveland because we will use whatever excuse to drink. So pierogies and chocolate and beer are what's for dinner. My poor metabolism cant take anymore chocolate or carbs...

My parents are on the other end of the Spectrum. My dad is in his 70s. He played football and baseball in college and has a Masters in Physical Education (and in computer science) I think he's thrilled that with running I've found a sport that I like and am consistent with. He just really wants to run a race with my son and I. For his birthday this weekend I got him fitted for running shoes. :)

Easter candy - We have a local chocolate place around here - Gardner's Candy - and their peanut butter meltaways are to die for.

At Christmas, I may have bought my kids PB Santas from there. About two weeks after Christmas, my four-year-old asked where her Santa was. Ya, sorry kid, that thing didn't last 2 days in the house with Mom. :P

So that's what I go for. Also Sour Patch Kids.

If I have to go with lesser candy, I go for Twix.

My parents are pretty supportive of my running (my mom has been to every Disney marathon weekend with me). My DH - eh. He tries to get me to not go for marathons and instead do halfs because of the training time difference. I can see his point there, which is why I just did the half this year instead of the full. Still undecided on 2020 marathon weekend race.

ATTQOTD: No kids, so I usually make an easter candy run the day or two later when it goes on clearance. Unless I spot nerds jelly beans before.

Very true. During training for every race or shortly before the race, I will get the "human body is not meant to run" lecture from my mom. I ignore it and run anyways.

As for what are we trying to prove? That answer is unique to each person. And if someone doesn't want to understand why we want to test ourselves, that's their loss.
There’s a meme for that.

33844622-5FF1-4FE8-8479-EFFD456AAB4C.jpeg

Also, speaking of THC, one of my snowboard buddies quit smoking weed and started running in December. Now he wants to become a personal trainer, which is great, but he is giving me all sorts of unsolicited diet advice, which is not great.

If I had to compare us, I am closer to Ron Swanson and he is closer to Ron Dunn. Not ex-ac-itally, by any stretch, but I still think the comparison is apt.

Enough with the hippie stuff, brah.

There’s a meme for that.
I think that meme covered just about every single conversation I've ever had in one way or another with non runner friends and family.

To be fair, I have some family members that are very supportive without feeling the need to insert running commentary on my sanity.

At this point, I can tell the difference between supportive friends/family who don't understand, but genuinely want to be supportive and those who have somehow decided that I should not do something that they don't want to participate in.

When I did my 50 mile race, my mom told me she asked her Sunday school class to pray for her son because he may have something wrong in his head. I never figured out if she was kidding or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter