The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I can't stand to think about eating or drinking anything other than water or my race fuel during a race--if I'm racing hard. I suppose if treating it like an easy training run, I would be open to things. I'm thinking chocolate ganache, maybe chocolate chip cookie dough, or salted caramel brownie bites.

Post-race: I would like chocolate milk, or the ability to get a chocolate shake. Maybe beer, but at Disney races it is so early, except for the marathon, that the thought of drinking a whole beer is off-putting. As for food....pizza would be nice.

ATTQOTD: I can't stand to think about eating or drinking anything other than water or my race fuel during a race--if I'm racing hard. I suppose if treating it like an easy training run, I would be open to things. I'm thinking chocolate ganache, maybe chocolate chip cookie dough, or salted caramel brownie bites.

Post-race: I would like chocolate milk, or the ability to get a chocolate shake. Maybe beer, but at Disney races it is so early, except for the marathon, that the thought of drinking a whole beer is off-putting. As for food....pizza would be nice.

I did consider the PB& J shake might be fantastic at the end of a race, but I am not sure my stomach could do dairy at that point.

@LSUlakes Please add these races for me; Thanks!

5/5 - Great Western HM - St. Charles, IL, (2:36:29/NA)
6/2 - North Shore Classic HM - Highland Park, IL (2:36:29/NA)

This would be a PR by only a few seconds, but would hopefully put me into Corral E for the Disney Marathon. Based on @DopeyBadger estimates, it looks like my current runDisney POT of 2:36:37 puts me into the huge Corral F for the Marathon. I'm not too worried if I don't make my time goal on this trail course, since I'll have another chance 4 weeks later on a faster street course where I ran my current PR.

I am jumping in with a Fun (ish?) Friday Question of the Day:

If you were to chose what snack/drink would be handed to you along a race course (Disney or not), what would it be, and where would you be?

I'd like a large fries and a McFlurry handed to me on Osceola so I don't have to make the detour like McFlurry John (@John VN ). It's no trouble to get beer and margaritas along the way, but heading down the ramp to McDonald's is a bit more effort.

ATTQOTD: I think a salted bagel (no cream cheese!) might be the way to go. Drink-wise I probably would go with a margarita. The problem is by the time I hit the last few miles of the marathon, I can’t stomach anything....which is why I have never managed to finish the race with a drink in hand.

ATTQOTD: Mid race, maybe a large tea half and half for a caffeine boost. Post race, I'd love a mixed drink as opposed to a beer. I'm not a beer drinker but a fun mojito would be nice.

I was a little surprised that they mentioned that the Texas and Arizona cities were all at the bottom of the list. Dallas has a lot of running trails and parks, a big running community and a lot of running events. I would think Austin and Houston would be similar, but to me this list is like those AFI film rankings. Not everyone will agree with them.

I'm not that surprised. Are you in Dallas? I live in Plano and I think the fact that there's not a ton of green space probably contributes to the low ranking. It's not a walk-able city. Plus it's HOT a lot of the year. But I do run outdoors in my suburban neighborhood and I make it work.

ATTQOTD food: I do not know what will work for me as I increase the distance to a full. I plan to stop by a convenience store on one of my very long run and see what temps me, try to eat it and keep running.

During a half, I am usually happy with some gel or jellies. I had chicken broth once: It tasted great but I burped chicken flavour for a while after. Bananas are no, orange are great.

Right after a half, I am not hungry. Powerade or diluted juice are my first intake. Oreo were great at Disney. I think they would be good on course as well. Bagels too early haven’t been a success. I never had alcohol too close to finish... I will try at my next race to see how I react.

So short answer is I have no clue what I can stomach while running and not sure about after... Keep your answers coming!

Last edited:
I'd like a large fries and a McFlurry handed to me on Osceola so I don't have to make the detour like McFlurry John (@John VN ). It's no trouble to get beer and margaritas along the way, but heading down the ramp to McDonald's is a bit more effort.

Your LIKE could come true since my knees are doing some serious trash talking to me. Hurting when simply walking my bicycles out the garage to get on for my 100 mile rides. No marathon means I might be available for a "McFlurry hand off" not a :duck: at mile 15.

maybe Retired McFlurry John :crutches:

ATTQOY: Usually Gu/water/ and some sort of electrolyte beverage are enough for me during a race. One of the trail races I run used to have salted potatoes and soda at the water stops. I'm not a big soda person but a small glass of mountain dew after pushing up a mile long hill at mile 20 ish of a tough trail marathon is absolutely amazing.

ATTQOTD: Mid race, maybe a large tea half and half for a caffeine boost. Post race, I'd love a mixed drink as opposed to a beer. I'm not a beer drinker but a fun mojito would be nice.

I'm not that surprised. Are you in Dallas? I live in Plano and I think the fact that there's not a ton of green space probably contributes to the low ranking. It's not a walk-able city. Plus it's HOT a lot of the year. But I do run outdoors in my suburban neighborhood and I make it work.

The green spaces are definitely shrinking. I used to live in The Colony and it was a lot of neighborhood running. Sometimes I would drive to Arbor Hills and run through their trails. I moved to Uptown last year and so I have the Katy Trail close by.

Tenacious Ten 10k - Race Recap

Yesterday, I ran the 3rd annual Tenacious Ten 10k. In 2017 and 2018 I ran the 10 mile course. But, I really didn’t like the extra out and back portion and grew increasingly jealous of the 10k runners. So, I stuck with the 10k this year.

The course begins and ends at Gas Works park and consists of a loop around Lake Union. Gas Works park is on the site of the former Seattle Gas Light Company that closed in 1956. The park opened to the public the year I was born and I have memories of climbing and playing on the remnants of the gasification plant as a kid.

I first ran this “race” in 2014 when it was called the Emerald City Run 10k/15k and had a Wizard of Oz theme. It was a fun little race but you knew it was in trouble when they spelled “Seattel” wrong on the medal! The race was purchased by the Snohomish Running Company and sponsored by Brooks (because their flagship store is near Gas Works park). A couple of years later Oiselle took over sponsorship and the race became the Tenacious Ten. This is also the site of Seattle’s former See Jane Run, of which I ran the half marathon in 2015.

My favorite thing about the Tenacious Ten as compared to its predecessors, is the course runs clockwise around Lake Union as compared to counterclockwise. This means you get the small hills out of the way in the beginning, enjoy a gradual downhill in the middle with the remainder of the course being relatively flat. This has made for a fast course all three years.

My goal was a 10k PR or <1:03:17. I ran hard, from the beginning, taking my usual walk break at each mile marker (except mile 6) but shortening them to 45 seconds. Just enough time to catch my breath and drink some water before I was off again. You know you’re running hard when you feel nauseous as you close in on the finish line. I finished in 1:02:15! They had glazed Top Pot doughnuts with green sprinkles at the finish line. Despite never eating doughnuts, it was delicious!

I should mention, this race is a weekend long event for Oiselle Volèe (Oiselle’s running team). The weekend begins with Thursday Night Flight Club (a group run from Oiselle’s flagship store) and includes free seminars with Lauren Fleshman and Oiselle Sally, a post race spandos (popular Oiselle printed leggings) dance party on Saturday night, concluding with a team photoshoot this afternoon. I have been Volèe since the beginning and have participated many of these events in the past. But, this year I decided just to stick to the race.

For those of you who celebrate, Happy Easter!

4/20 - CDKG - Tenacious Ten 10k (1:03:17 / 1:02:15)

ATTQOTD: I am not big on eating or drinking while running. Frankly, I don't get the drinking alcohol mid race. Not judging. It is just not me and it would really mess with me if I did it. Honestly, I am pretty happy to just have water, Powerade and the occasional sport bean handed to me along the race course.

Now if we are talking about stuff handed out after the finish line, that is a different story. I have done a few races that provided a voucher for a free beer post race and would love for all races to do that.

The Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach that I did last month gave vouchers for FOUR free beers at the post-race party. I don't drink. Wonder how much of my race registration money went toward that? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter