The Running Thread - 2019

@LSUlakes, last minute addition to the race calendar:

5/4 - @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Backpack Love 5K (23:59 / NA)

Results and mini-race report:

5/4 @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Backpack Love 5K (23:59 / 25:24)

1/3 Age Group, 9/64 Overall, 8:09 pace.

I didn't hit my goal, but I'm still happy with the results. It was a fairly tough course and hot and humid, T+D of approximately 140 at the start.

This is a small local race supporting a charity that sends backpacks of food home for the weekend for food-insecure kids.

The race started about 10 minutes late which almost caused an issue: I got cooled off and stiff after my warm-up, but didn't realize it. When the gun went off, both hamstrings refused to cooperate. I momentarily panicked, as my legs completely forgot how to run. Wow, this is going to be great: step to the curb and call it a day after 2 steps. Luckily, things smoothed out quickly.

The race is a loop with the first half being mostly uphill and the second half being mostly downhill. There was absolutely nothing of interest along the course, but that's OK, I don't need entertainment for a 5K. My splits were 8:21, 8:10, 7:52.

The finish line festivities were the usual small race variety: water, sports drink, coffee, bananas, apples, and Chick-fil-A minis (which seem to have a problem with the chicken to bread ratio). They had a Star Wars-themed costume contest in keeping with the 'May the Fourth Be With You' theme. Awards went quickly, as they only gave out 2 deep, rather than the usual 3.

upload_2019-5-4_16-14-27.png

upload_2019-5-4_16-16-26.png

And yes, there is my age group for the whole world to see. How did that happen?

For the post race celebration, it was too early for pizza (not for me, but nothing was open.) I knew about a local taco joint that I've been wanting to try. Luckily, they open early on Saturday. If you're ever in Oakwood, GA (why would you be?) give them a try:

upload_2019-5-4_16-18-33.png

I went for 3 tacos: steak, marinated pork, and tripe (YOLO. If I live twice, I'll try the cabeza), with an order of corn. The corn has mayonnaise, chili power, cheese, and lemon in it. Everything was great. The only downside to this place is they don't serve beer. Let's just say it pays to be self-sufficient.

Celebratory lunch:

upload_2019-5-4_16-26-47.png

Overall, it was a successful day: AG award, a new food experience, and a big nap when I got home!

Results and mini-race report:

5/4 @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Backpack Love 5K (23:59 / 25:24)

1/3 Age Group, 9/64 Overall, 8:09 pace.

I didn't hit my goal, but I'm still happy with the results. It was a fairly tough course and hot and humid, T+D of approximately 140 at the start.

This is a small local race supporting a charity that sends backpacks of food home for the weekend for food-insecure kids.

The race started about 10 minutes late which almost caused an issue: I got cooled off and stiff after my warm-up, but didn't realize it. When the gun went off, both hamstrings refused to cooperate. I momentarily panicked, as my legs completely forgot how to run. Wow, this is going to be great: step to the curb and call it a day after 2 steps. Luckily, things smoothed out quickly.

The race is a loop with the first half being mostly uphill and the second half being mostly downhill. There was absolutely nothing of interest along the course, but that's OK, I don't need entertainment for a 5K. My splits were 8:21, 8:10, 7:52.

The finish line festivities were the usual small race variety: water, sports drink, coffee, bananas, apples, and Chick-fil-A minis (which seem to have a problem with the chicken to bread ratio). They had a Star Wars-themed costume contest in keeping with the 'May the Fourth Be With You' theme. Awards went quickly, as they only gave out 2 deep, rather than the usual 3.

View attachment 398893

View attachment 398894

And yes, there is my age group for the whole world to see. How did that happen?

For the post race celebration, it was too early for pizza (not for me, but nothing was open.) I knew about a local taco joint that I've been wanting to try. Luckily, they open early on Saturday. If you're ever in Oakwood, GA (why would you be?) give them a try:

View attachment 398895

I went for 3 tacos: steak, marinated pork, and tripe (YOLO. If I live twice, I'll try the cabeza), with an order of corn. The corn has mayonnaise, chili power, cheese, and lemon in it. Everything was great. The only downside to this place is they don't serve beer. Let's just say it pays to be self-sufficient.

Celebratory lunch:

View attachment 398898

Overall, it was a successful day: AG award, a new food experience, and a big nap when I got home!
Cachete/cabeza/lengua/tripe tacos are life.

Race report:
41st Lake Hartwell Dam Run 10k May 4, 2019

This was my PR race two years ago with a flat 59:00, and the only 10k that I had run under an hour. I have been using it for my POT for everything up until this years Peachtree Road Race in July, but that one has expired for Wine and Dine, so my next best time was last year's 1:02:48. I had hoped to at least get under that time, but two years ago it was in the low 50's with a breeze, and yesterday was about 66* with around 90% humidity at start time with fog early on and full sun on the dam during the second half (and I am two years older)!

So @LSUlakes My time was 1:03:12.6 and 2nd in AG. I am fine with that, and just grateful that I can run.

Thunderstorms were possible on Saturday morning, but the day turned out to be beautiful, despite being warm. In the 5k and 10k together there were around 650-700 runners. This is a beautiful 10k that runs down Hwy 29 from Georgia's Big Oaks Recreation area, across the Savannah River Bridge, into SC, around a cone and up onto the Lake Hartwell Dam to cross back over into GA, so, one big loop. The 5k'ers get bussed into SC and run straight across the dam. Both races start at the same time and into the same finish line. Since 9/11, the concrete part of the dam has been closed off with gates on each side, but the Army Corps of Engineers opens it up each year for this race, so it's the only time to run all the way across. The lake is beautiful and you can actually see the mountains far away in the distance. (I did not stop for a selfie.) And since it was May the fourth, I wore my Darth Vader outfit from Rival Runs! And, as I have mentioned before, DH is race director.

QOTD: Did you partake in any Cinco de Mayo events yesterday?

ATTQOTD: I may have had a few margaritas while watching LSU baseball (BTW we lost after a exciting comeback to go into extra innings, just to lose). Other than that, it was just a normal Sunday at home.

04 - TheHamm - Burns Park Run (1:11:55/ 1:12:54)
Summary: I am a little disappointed, but I had a lot of fun. It is a race put on by our PTO and I will likely run it every year we are in town. My hope is that next year (1) I get more sleep (2) I leave enough time to get there (3) I do not underestimate the hill on the far side of the neighborhood that I never run. As I figured at the start line it was not going to be my day, I wasn't too concerned to make it my day. I am fine with that choice, it was a fun run chatting with kids along the course and people watching. Regarding lessons learned (a) I do not want to be the parent angry encouraging my kid up a hill (b) I have little interest in 2 laps around a 10k course
Question: I would like to know when people thought it was appropriate to take kids on a 5k run and when it was successful without tears.

Long winded version:
I left home late and had decided to bike as there was insufficient time to walk to the start. In my rush to get the bike out of the garage I caught myself on the kids lawn rake that no one put away properly and realized half way to the start line that I was bleeding. I spent some time trying to find some sort of medical area to clean it up, but never saw that until after the race. While irritating, I do not think it resulted in any time lost. I went out too fast and didn't know it until my watch buzzed the distance and I saw I had done one of my fastest ever miles. This was great, but not the target. I forgot the big hill existed, and spent first lap on it being irritated at a parent yelling at their 4th grader who was crying because she did not think she could make it up the hill. I walked next to her and handed her tissues, vowing to never do that to my kids. The 5K is walked by lots of people with strollers and dogs, and plenty of parents who run use this as a first race for their kids. There were 3 kids I recognized from the kindergarten crew, two of whom were crying. I wondered if the parents had anticipated this and I am not sure I would attempt it with my kids. Just before the 3 mile marker I heard the call of 10K leader on your left, which was a bit demoralizing. This was the first time I had done a 10K where it was 2 5K laps, and I am not sure I would do it again. Hey look, there is the finish line in 100 meters, but I have to turn right instead?! Blech. Somewhere along mile 5 I saw my husband walking my kids to the playground/finish area and they wanted to hug, chat about their morning, and ask if the bouncy house was up at the finish (apparently this is the only reason one kid would leave the house). I'm not sure I would have saved the 59 seconds here, but maybe.

Somewhere along the way to the start, my husband lost his wallet (and found it in our mailbox, yippie for nice neighbors) so as soon as I finished he left me with the kids to go look for it. That meant I then got to put in an extra half a mile on the kids race course, which was total chaos. There was one skinned knee, for which I did finally find the band aid station- it was not much more than that. At the end, the kids got a ribbon not a medal, and my kid is MAD about that. She had planned on taking her medal for show and tell at the end of the month, but feels a ribbon is not worth it. It has been suggested that I need to find a Disney kids medal and stage a race on our vacation in a couple of weeks so she has one. This is not the most ridiculous plan ever, but I am going to spend the next week trying to convince her we can just take pictures of her stuffed Marie around the world showcase instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter