The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: The only place I’ve run at Disney outside the races has been Coronado Springs. It was a very pretty, relaxing loop around its central lake. Of course, that was pre-construction CSR.

I haven’t run it, but I enjoy walking the marathon path from DHS to Epcot. I’m at the point that I actually prefer walking the path to get from one park to the other rather than taking the boat or a bus. It’s a nice, scenic calm place to decompress from the chaos of the parks.

QOTD: What is your favorite resort to go for a run while staying at WDW? Would the time of year change your answer? You do not have to have experience actually staying or running at these resorts to answer the questions.

ATTQOTD: Out of the ones I've run, my favorite it the OKW-Disney Springs-SS loop. It has a nice mix of calm serenity and wildlife along the golf course and the bustle and sounds of Disney Springs. Plus, it's easy to make a pit stop for food along the route!

I would love to try Fort Wilderness at some point, though.

ATTQOTD: last summer I ran the lath between WL and FW. Gorgeous. Pretty sure that's not going to happen now with Disneys new resort in between there. Hopefully when that's done some part of the path will be reopened but I'm not optimistic.
When we stayed at BW I regretted not bringing my running gear. It looked like a fun place for a run.

March totals: 0
April totals: 0

I had hoped to return to running in mid April, but between throwing my back out and getting sick near the end of April that did not happen.

But the good news is that May already has more miles than February, March, and April combined.

@LSUlakes I have a race to add.

June 01- SleeplessKnight MHKite 5K (Pace my 8 year old nephew so he doesn't discover the hard way that he isn't Dash from The Incredibles).

Add one more race for my weekend....

05 - @Wendy98 - Flying Pig Marathon (NG / N/A)

No official goal, but probably would try for sub 3:25. Can I just add that I am a sucker for marketing? I got an email this past week saying I had 9 Flying Pig Marathons on record. One more and I become a "Squadron Member".

In case you are wondering, this is what it gets you:

You're Invited to Fly With Us and Become a Flying Pig Marathon Squadron Member!

You're Invited to Fly With Us and Receive a Flying Pig Marathon Squadron Reward! We have so many loyal Flying Pig Marathon participants that we want to reward your loyalty by expanding our Flying Pig Squadron. Our records indicate that you have completed nine Flying Pig marathons and are close to becoming a 10-Year Squadron member!Squadron members will receive special recognition, plus a commemorative medal add-on for each five-marathon milestone. In addition, 10-Year Squadron members receive their own bib number to be used each year!

Here's how it works: During Flying Pig weekend, after participants pick up their marathon packets at the expo, they will proceed to the Squadron Booth. Here the Squadron members will receive a wristband to wear until race morning. After completing the marathon, participants will need to go to the Squadron
booth located in the post-race party at Smale Riverfront Park where the Squadron medal add-ons will be distributed.

Remember, you need to be registered for and complete the 2019 Flying Pig full marathon to qualify for the Squadron status. So if you're not already registered for the 2019 marathon, register today!

I'm sure I will be hating this decision around mile 21.

ATTQOTD: I’ve ran at the CR, GF/Poly, & the boardwalk-HS path.

CR was ok. I did like running in the back along Bay Lake.

GF/Poly was also ok. Again, the best part of it was running along Seven Seas Lagoon.

The boardwalk-HS was my favorite. I enjoy the whole route.

28 - Smilelea - BHM 26.2 Half Marathon (3:10:00 / N/A)

BHM 26.2 Half Marathon

April 28, 2019

Race started at 7am. Our email told us to be there by 6am. I arrived about 6:15am. The walk to the start line took about 10 minutes from where I had to park. I went ahead and found an empty porta potty and then went to find a seat on a bench. I ended up sharing one with a lady that drove up from Pensacola. She walks half-marathons. I was very impressed. I asked why she chose one so far away and she said she has to be very selective because there are races with strict time limits. She chooses those that give you the full marathon time of 6 hours to do the half. She is registered to do the Wine & Dine Half this fall. So I told her about my Disney experience in January. Then it was time to head to the start line. There was only one corral so I moved towards the back. I ended up very close to some 3 hour pacers. I observed a moment to see if they were doing the half or the full. I heard one tell another runner they were doing the half so I decided I’d try to hang with them as long as I could.

So off we went. I, having not done any math on it, didn’t realize what kind of pace that would have to mean. Quickly I realized we were running my long run pace. I was excited. There were two pacers, me and older gentleman named David. I decided immediately that I would set my app and music to run but I would leave my earbuds out until I had to break away. We quickly struck up a conversation and just chatted right along for the first couple of miles. Then we hit a hill, which seemed more like a mountain. The entire 3rd mile was up hill. It was brutal even at the slower pace. Thankfully what goes up, must go down. Everything was going pretty good again until about mile 8 when we hit some more hills. I had to take some walk breaks. Again, we got a nice downhill trek and I caught back up. The pacers did take the occasional walk breaks but there were no set intervals. We walked water stops and fuel stops and then were off again.

I kept up fairly well until mile 10. At that point, the back of my legs tightened up. I’ve never had this happen. I soon discovered that it hurt more to walk than to run. But I was really starting to drag at this point. Then we hit another hill and it was all over for me as far as keeping up with them. I put my earbuds in and did what I could. I had set my app to do 60/30 intervals just in case I needed them. So I started trying to do those. I quickly realized I needed to run 30 and walk 60. I stuck to that as best as I could and neared the finish line. As I got closer, I realized I still had a chance to beat my original goal. So I ran.

I crossed the finish line at 3:04:33 (chip time). Not only did I beat my goal of 3:10:00 but I also PR’d by more than 28 minutes!!!!!

This race takes you all over downtown Birmingham. There were times that I had no idea where we were and then we would come out somewhere and I knew exactly where we were. My husband calls me geographically challenged so I don’t dare try to tell where all we went. Best I can do is say look at the race map.

bhm half - Copy.jpg

bhm half drink.jpg
Our race entry came with free BBQ and a free drink. I only took a few sips and then had to toss this. After I tossed it, I realized I should have tried stirring it first. Oh well, the food was good and I went back for a 2nd cup of coca cola on ice. The after party was hopping but I just wanted to go home and shower. So I did. Will I do this race again. I'm leaning towards not, but I'm glad I tried it.

BHM 26.2 Half Marathon

April 28, 2019

Race started at 7am. Our email told us to be there by 6am. I arrived about 6:15am. The walk to the start line took about 10 minutes from where I had to park. I went ahead and found an empty porta potty and then went to find a seat on a bench. I ended up sharing one with a lady that drove up from Pensacola. She walks half-marathons. I was very impressed. I asked why she chose one so far away and she said she has to be very selective because there are races with strict time limits. She chooses those that give you the full marathon time of 6 hours to do the half. She is registered to do the Wine & Dine Half this fall. So I told her about my Disney experience in January. Then it was time to head to the start line. There was only one corral so I moved towards the back. I ended up very close to some 3 hour pacers. I observed a moment to see if they were doing the half or the full. I heard one tell another runner they were doing the half so I decided I’d try to hang with them as long as I could.

So off we went. I, having not done any math on it, didn’t realize what kind of pace that would have to mean. Quickly I realized we were running my long run pace. I was excited. There were two pacers, me and older gentleman named David. I decided immediately that I would set my app and music to run but I would leave my earbuds out until I had to break away. We quickly struck up a conversation and just chatted right along for the first couple of miles. Then we hit a hill, which seemed more like a mountain. The entire 3rd mile was up hill. It was brutal even at the slower pace. Thankfully what goes up, must go down. Everything was going pretty good again until about mile 8 when we hit some more hills. I had to take some walk breaks. Again, we got a nice downhill trek and I caught back up. The pacers did take the occasional walk breaks but there were no set intervals. We walked water stops and fuel stops and then were off again.

I kept up fairly well until mile 10. At that point, the back of my legs tightened up. I’ve never had this happen. I soon discovered that it hurt more to walk than to run. But I was really starting to drag at this point. Then we hit another hill and it was all over for me as far as keeping up with them. I put my earbuds in and did what I could. I had set my app to do 60/30 intervals just in case I needed them. So I started trying to do those. I quickly realized I needed to run 30 and walk 60. I stuck to that as best as I could and neared the finish line. As I got closer, I realized I still had a chance to beat my original goal. So I ran.

I crossed the finish line at 3:04:33 (chip time). Not only did I beat my goal of 3:10:00 but I also PR’d by more than 28 minutes!!!!!

This race takes you all over downtown Birmingham. There were times that I had no idea where we were and then we would come out somewhere and I knew exactly where we were. My husband calls me geographically challenged so I don’t dare try to tell where all we went. Best I can do is say look at the race map.

View attachment 398798

View attachment 398797
Our race entry came with free BBQ and a free drink. I only took a few sips and then had to toss this. After I tossed it, I realized I should have tried stirring it first. Oh well, the food was good and I went back for a 2nd cup of coca cola on ice. The after party was hopping but I just wanted to go home and shower. So I did. Will I do this race again. I'm leaning towards not, but I'm glad I tried it.
Huzzah!

ATTQOTD: I really like running in a thin Danskin no show sock with a heel tab. I have about 14 pairs, and they seem pretty durable since I’ve had them about a year and a half. Of course I can’t find them anywhere anymore, so I’ve tried Swiftwick(love) and Injinji(jury is still out). I have to wrap the fourth toe on each foot with a band aid, but this has totally eliminated any blister issues.

Earlier ATTQOTD: Shoes- I love Brooks Ghost 10! The 11’s are okay too, but I’m hoping I love the 12’s! I have wide feet with a high arch, wide fore foot and narrow heel. Not the nightmare fitting some here have, but a challenge none the less! No inserts yet! Lol

Also, we almost always stay at Fort Wilderness in our travel trailer. Nothing makes me happier than running in the campground, through all the loops, to Wilderness Lodge(when that was possible, trail closed indefinitely)! I love the peacefulness of the resort, seeing the wildlife, the shade and all the different combinations of routes I can take. We also stayed at Hilton Bonnet Creek this spring, and I ran between it and the Waldorf and out to the main entrance all on the sidewalk. It was okay, but I got a late start and it was HOT!!

@LSUlakes, last minute addition to the race calendar:

5/4 - @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Backpack Love 5K (23:59 / NA)

It's going to be stinking hot (62 degrees at 5AM as I type this) with rolling hills.

Goal for this race is not to PR, but run hard and assess the damage done by a winter and spring of at least a couple of the deadly sins. (Gluttony, sloth, I'm looking at you!)

I was inspired by a post in @KSellers88's training journal to get out and race!

April Miles: 78.7
2019 Miles: 334.4

April began with my annual trip to Arizona! A week and a half of running outside (I stick to my treadmill at home) in the desert. The sunshine and warmth felt amazing! As always, we kept busy and I enjoyed my time practicing retirement. Honestly, I have been in a major funk since returning to work. If anyone has any tips on retiring early, send them my way!

I ran one race in April, the Tenacious Ten. I PR-ed the 10k and the race photographers captured this moment when I was passed by the badass Lauren Fleshman :worship: (who was running the 10 miler).

upload_2019-5-4_7-39-36.jpeg

I may look like I see her, but it never actually registered until I saw this photo. :rotfl2: I blame a case of runner brain.

The month of May is just about maintaining my base before training for my August half begins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter