The Running Thread - 2019

@garneska I had never really minded wearing men's shoes before I started running and didn't really get why people said they were different...and now I know. It's been a real pain and I honestly don't expect to see women's size 14 shoes become commonly available in my lifetime. It's better than what it was when my mom was my age, but it's still just not great.

ATTQOTD: I was recommended Feetures when I first got fitted for running shoes and they worked well, so when I replaced those socks I replaced them with Feetures Elite ultralights. I need a thicker sock with the Hokas to keep them from sliding, so now I'm using the version of Feetures Elites with heavy cushioning. I liked the feel of the ultralight better but I'm used to the cushioning now; haven't gotten any blisters or anything so I haven't seen a reason to branch out and try anything else--not with how much running socks cost.

ATTQOTDs:
Long runs on Saturday; church day on Sunday, except for Sunday races

Shoes: ASICS, started with Gel 1000’s, then got fitted into Kayanos - no special inserts or lacing

Socks: UA, ASICS, or Thorlo in winter. Luckily no blister problems.

April totals
Miles: 106.6
Time: 20:15
Pace: 11:18.6

Also, I may as well add my May running miles today: 0 , as I went to the doc and I have a possible stress fracture in my hip. Going for the bone scan Monday. If it's not that, then it's very strained TFL, at least. So I expect May to be a month where I get off my *** to do some light, non-inflammatory cross training.

Bummer. Hoping for the best and speedy healing. :hug:

QOTD: Long runs on the weekend. Do you prefer to run them on Saturday or Sunday? Why?

ATTQOTD: I prefer Saturday mornings for a few reasons. Saturdays are usually a night we stay up a little later or have some function going on so its easier to just get the run in be able to not worry about a Sunday run. Also, Sunday morning we go to church and if I went out for a long run I would be cutting in close on getting there on time and well theres also leg cramps while kneeling that could be a issue.

I’m not picky, I tend to go with whatever fits my schedule best.

QOTD: We've had a few questions related to shoes lately so I figured today would be a good day to make a topic about them. What works for you and what has not worked for you? Do you add inserts or do something different with the laces? Explain if you can?

ATTQOTD: Nearly every show I have tried has worked for me, but it seems after about 3 times with the same shoe it's a time for change or things start to feel weird for me. The only negative shoe experience I had was with Hookas. It was such a different shoe than what I was running in. I eased into them with short runs of 2-4 miles for the first 2 weeks. They felt like running on clouds... the problem was once I hit around 200 miles on them they started to cause additional problems. Went back to the shoe style I was in and everything worked out. So they worked for what I needed, but found they did not hold up to the miles my other shoes did. I also had this thing on the top of my foot for a while where it hurt. Tried a few different lacing options and found one that did not push down on the pain area. After a few weeks the pain was gone and I was able to go back to the standard lacing method.

I have been an Asics Nimbus guy since I started running. I have never used an insert but my ankle doctor suggested it but when I asked the sales rep at the store next to the doctor’s office she didn’t know how well they would hold up to running so I didn’t spend the $120.

Zwift is my favorite way to survive the trainer.

I run predominately on Asics Kayanos. They've worked great for me ever since I gave up on Brooks Adrenalines after getting shin splints. The only downside is that they change each new model slightly and sometimes the changes don't work for me. I ended up buying 7 pairs of the Kayano-20 because the 21s were so awful. I'm on my last pair of 22s and hope like hell the 25s are ok. I also run short distances in NB Minimus to help keep my heel striking under control.

#humblebrag

I am so disappointed in Asics lately. Their shoes just aren’t comfortable to me anymore. Maybe they will fix it by the time I start running again.

QOTD: Lets continue to talk about our feet today, with todays being socks! We discussed this before, but its worth talking about again for maybe new posters or someone looking to make a change. What has worked and does not work for you?

ATTQOTD: When I first started running I bought so socks from Walmart. This was also when I would run in basketball shorts and cotton shirts. As I learned with the shorts and shirts, I learned there are better options for socks as well. Balega was recommended to me and I purchased a few pair to give them a go. Love them and rarely have any issues with blisters or the socks moving around while I run. I purchase a new pair with every pair of shoes I buy to make sure I keep a rotation going. They last a extremely long time as well!

I have tried a few different brands of running socks and I still find my good old Champion cotton socks to be the most comfortable and I have no blister issues so I stick with them.

I have been an Asics Nimbus guy since I started running. I am so disappointed in Asics lately. Their shoes just aren’t comfortable to me anymore. Maybe they will fix it by the time I start running again.
Have you tried the Nimbus 21's yet? Curious how they compare to the 20's.

I'm curious too! I still have 18's and a couple 17's I bought on Ebay so don't need shoes for awhile. I have one 19 in waiting too, but it's so much more narrow I haven't worn them. Wondering how they are compared to 19's and 20's.

QOTD: What is your favorite resort to go for a run while staying at WDW? Would the time of year change your answer? You do not have to have experience actually staying or running at these resorts to answer the questions.

ATTQOTD: I like the run from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness, and this would also be my summer answer. Plenty of shade in the warmer months and a lot of wildlife to see! During cooler months I would think running along the Boardwalk area resorts would be awesome as well.

I'm curious too! I still have 18's and a couple 17's I bought on Ebay so don't need shoes for awhile. I have one 19 in waiting too, but it's so much more narrow I haven't worn them. Wondering how they are compared to 19's and 20's.
The narrow 19's is a common complaint. From what I have read, the 20's are suppose to be a bit wider, especially in the toebox than the 19's. You may want to give them a test drive, too. The 21's are like a whole new shoe. I have so many pairs of the 19's / 20's I won't be looking at new shoes until next year but I curious what folks will say about the 21's.

I haven't had any luck with the even year models. I LOOOOOOVED the 17's, hated the 18's, I like the 19's, hated the 20's. So I stock up on the odd number models until to skip the even years. Well, I went and tried on the 21's and they were so tight and hard I started trying on other models I never had any luck in. I found nothing at the Asics outlet I could tolerate. I have 2 brand new pairs currently, and can't run for a while, so once I can run again I am set for a bit. But I may have to change brands.

I tried Hoka's (i forgot to say this in my previous answer) and they were great at first. 100 miles into that pair I had awful Achilles pain in the same ankle I had surgery on. I was worried it was the ankle but it turned out to be the shoe. Haven't run in them since. They were great for my park touring shoes on my trip but no more running. I have no idea where I will turn to next, maybe Altra, they look wide.

QOTD: What is your favorite resort to go for a run while staying at WDW? Would the time of year change your answer? You do not have to have experience actually staying or running at these resorts to answer the questions.

ATTQOTD: I like the run from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness, and this would also be my summer answer. Plenty of shade in the warmer months and a lot of wildlife to see! During cooler months I would think running along the Boardwalk area resorts would be awesome as well.

I have never run at WDW for no runDisney events. I allow myself to make it time off for my body and my brain.

Shockingly, I have never run while on vacation at Disney World, besides the races!

I absolutely love running on the Boardwalk during the marathon though, so I'm going to pick that, plus the trail from DHS to Epcot. It's my favorite part of the marathon and I'd like to run it more than once every few years!

I’ve never run while on vacation at WDW. Too much else to do! Lol. I think the larger resorts would be best for such. I’m back at Saratoga Springs in July and I would definitely run there. The Beach Club area and running around the Boardwalk would be great as well. Obviously middle of the summer would not be fun.

ATTQOTD: I have only run at Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Saratoga had a nice 1.5 mile loop that included a stretch along the water facing Disney Springs. I also did the Derby Dash race there which was lots of fun.

On the other side of the coin, Animal Kingdom Lodge has nowhere to run unless you want to go back and forth between Jambo and Kidani or run in the parking lot. It is only about a half mile between them so pretty boring and redundant.

However, on my recent visit for Star Wars Rival Run, I found a route just past the recreation area where the tennis courts are. It is a road where I am guessing workers use to get backstage for the animals (check out a satellite image for reference). When you get to the end of the tennis courts, there is a sign that says authorized vehicles only but nothing about no guest access. From Jambo, it is about 2.5 miles out and back. So I gave it a shot. It was a nice quiet run until on the second loop, a security van followed me down the path past the tennis courts and told me I was not allowed back there. Oh well, I told him I was gonna finish my run and he followed me out. It’s too bad because it would have made a nice running trail if they wanted to make it one.

Fort Wilderness is great for longer runs. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge for Star Wars Rival Runs and the path from there to Wilderness Lodge was closed due to building of the new resort on Bay Lake between the two. We planned to run three miles on Tuesday after the half, and instead ran around and around Wilderness Lodge/Villas to get it in. SO disappointing.

I also can get in a few miles at All Stars, running not only the 1 mi sidewalk that is marked, but also in and out of all the paths around the many buildings and parking lots. It's fun to see all the decor on the outside of each building. I have also crossed the road and run past McDonald's to Coronado Springs, but the traffic lights are LONG and road construction and traffic can be a hindrance.

EPCOT resorts are a good place. You can run the Boardwalk, to Hollywood Studios, and then out on the sidewalk in front of the resorts. Again, now the construction of the new Swolphin tower and at the front of HS can shorten the miles you do there.

Marathon weekend we stayed at Shades of Green and ran to Poly, to Grand Floridian and back. (We weren't looking for long distance two days after the marathon!) And if you don't mind doing loops, you can get in a few miles doing Riverside/Port Orleans and Pop/AoA.

I want to run Old Key West some day. We stayed there for Marathon Weekend 2018, but actually got sick and didn't try to run after the marathon that time.

I’ve never run while on vacation at WDW. Too much else to do! Lol. I think the larger resorts would be best for such. I’m back at Saratoga Springs in July and I would definitely run there. The Beach Club area and running around the Boardwalk would be great as well. Obviously middle of the summer would not be fun.
If you get up early enough, there's not too much to do. Get up and run at 6:00 and you get back, shower, eat breakfast, and still make rope drop! LOL

ATTQOTD: I have only run at the All Stars and, while it is pretty boring, we ended a run at McDonalds for pancakes so that was fun, lol! I think I would like running at the Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge. We love walking around both of those areas. :)

Shoes: I have been wearing Brooks Ghost since I was fitted with them at Track Shack (I did try a pair of NB 880's for one cycle since those were a similar fit, but thought they were a little stiffer). 2 pairs of Ghost 9 (I liked those the best), 2 Ghost 10, 2 Ghost 11's right now. Strangely, the 9's seemed the most consistent between the 2 pairs, but the 10's felt radically different, and the 11's which i have been switching off consistently do not fit quite the same. We shall see how the 12's are later this year.

Socks: Swiftwick moisture wicking.

April Miles: 50:45.
Slowed down a bit after SWRR weekend, and summer temps have arrived here in Orlando lessening the motivation to go out in the evening. Still have done my longer Saturday runs since I go pretty early in the morning.

ATTQOTD: Ft Wilderness. I have a camper i stay there a lot and for a long time, usually two weeks, i can work remotely. I run at Ft Wilderness and the trail to wilderness lodge. if you do all the loops, the parking lot, and i think it was out to wilderness lodge and back it is 12 miles. I am concerned with the new Reflections resort between WL and Ft Wilderness you may not be able to run or walk between the two :(.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter