The Running Thread - 2019

Wow. Whoever named that drink needs a history lesson.

First, obviously, never ever order it in Ireland.

The history behind the drink is a bit interesting It was created in Connecticut in the late ‘70s. It was first just a shot of Baileys, Jamison & Kahlua called IRA. Then when Guinness was added it was renamed. The creator claims it comes from the “explosion” that happens when the shot glass hits the beer. He has though admitted that in retrospect he should have named it something else. There had been a movement recently to rename it the Irish Slammer but it hasn’t really caught on.

Holy moly @Wendy98 - I’d rent a regular scooter for the parks and a knee scooter for the cruise. That should give you a break from the crutches!

Happy Birthday @rteetz

ATTQOTD: Extended family thought I was crazy for running Dopey and have blamed that for the reason I got a hip stress fracture. According to my doctors, I probably would have developed the stress fracture even without running Dopey. Now they think I’m crazy and stupid for signing up for Goofy because I’ve already run a marathon so why would I want to do it again and tell me that I’m going to end up with a hip replacement. I just answer that hopefully I get a bionic hip that makes me run faster.

ATTQOTD: As some others have mentioned, I don't think some of the things we do for running are crazier than things other people do for their sports/hobbies. For example, my husband and I went golfing (I only golf to go with him) and it started pouring rain. I picked up and stayed in the covered golf court, while he proceeded to play the last eight holes in a complete downpour. Now who's crazy? :)

Looking at it in another light, when I tell people that I've done something like race a marathon and they say, "I could never do that"...well that's what all the "crazy" training was for. Going from nothing to marathon is crazy. Following a training plan that makes you work appropriately hard is what gets you to that seemingly crazy goal.

ATTQOTD: Yes, I am absolutely crazy.
Comments include:
"You're running on vacation?!" (That one came from my husband literally last week, you think he would be used to this by now.)
"You ran how far??"
"Wait, you just ran *here*?!"
"Isn't it too hot to run??"

I used to get these questions from my mother when I visited her out of state. Now she's finally figured and out, and she'll say something like, "You're doing a run tomorrow morning, right? When do you think you'll be back?" It only took like 4 years. :)

ATTQOTD: I've really enjoyed running and while I think I'm perfectly sane, I'm sure my wife and most of my friends think I'm somewhere between nuts and a bada$$ for running.

The craziest thing I've done running-wise so far is to get up and go running two mornings in a row during my own bachelors party weekend, probably still hung over both times, and after staying up drinking way late both nights prior. My buddies could not fathom how I could do that. Amazingly, it made me feel better despite logic and science telling me this was a terrible idea....

And happy birthday @rteetz!

@Wendy98
wow.

In 2016, DW was diagnosed with a stress fracture in her foot the day before we left for WDW and the Lumiere's 2-course challenge. She did the 10k, but felt it the next morning and had some swelling, so the half was out. We rented a wheelchair at Guest Relations for our park days, and I pushed her. Is someone pushing you an option?

Best and Worst? Doesn't matter to me. I am usually middle of the pack and I just run for myself. I don't even keep a spreadsheet. (I know, blasphemy!) I can say that I have placed 1-3 in my age group in smaller races several times, but it gets easier the older I get simply through attrition. And next year I move up again -- to the old, old ladies division. LOL

Called Crazy? Always. DH and I are headed to the beach for vacation in June and most people think we are crazy to get up and run before sunrise and that we found a 10k to run in Port Orange while we are on vacation. But I have the most beautiful pictures of the sunrise over the Atlantic and it is so calm and peaceful on the beach before everybody gets out there. And as for the 10k, we get to eat breakfast at Aunt Catfish's Sunday brunch afterward. Hmmmmm!

@Bree and @Wendy98 I can't believe you were still running with such injuries. You are definitely strong, determined women.

@rteetz Happy Birthday. I hope your day was magical!

@GuinnessRunner Hope to see you on Memorial Day, and @OldSlowGoofyGuy you, too, if you decide to run it. Maybe we should all wear Disney shirts! Of course, you may be finished with the race and gone for a shower before I cross the finish line. LOL

:bday: @rteetz

ATTQOTD: Many people at work run or bike or do sports so I don’t get any strange look for that. Once someone ask if I was crazy to go run in « that » weather... And I wondered if he was right until I went for it and saw two buddies coming back from their run. People do think (rightly) that I am obsessed with Disney though. Overall, I get more support, encouragements and congratulations than anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter