• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

The last 24 hours of baseball have been crazy for LSU. Losing a 17 inning game that ended at 3:00 AM and then having to play today at 1:00 PM and winning the way did has to be the strangest low and high ever lol. I've never seen anything like it before and to see both things in a short time frame is crazy. I am also crazy tired now. I may be asleep before the baby tonight.

My reaction to that ending...
200w.webp

:rotfl:

ATTQOTD-longest sporting event I've watched on tv was already painfully brought up by @Dis5150 and @huskies90 as my teams (Nationals and Capitals) were on the losing end of both of those playoff games. I've been fortunate that most games I've attended in person haven't lasted quite as long. I remember attending a baseball doubleheader at Memorial Stadium many years ago that had a rain delay during the 2nd game. We were at the ballpark cheering for Cal Ripken for over 12 hours straight!

Hey @huskies90....I follow college baseball too. Glad that UVA came through a couple of years ago after losing to Vandy the year before.

Anyone at WDW this weekend and know of any on campus 5ks Monday? They haven’t been advertising it here at the fort probably due to construction

Long time reader and infrequent poster in the group. I am looking for some thoughts/advice. I am about to begin my training plan for Chicago on 6/10 and trying to figure out my goal pace to train for.

I have run 2 fulls in the past in 2016 and have not run the distance since. My times were WDW (5:10) and NYC (4:55). I feel like I am in a place to have a really good improvement over those times but I don’t want to push it too much as my main goals are to finish and enjoy the experience.

I am currently running about 110 miles a month at about a 9:00 pace however most of this is on a treadmill. I recently ran a 15k with around a 9:20 pace which was comfortable. I have run quite a few halves in the past but none real recent with usual times around 2:00.

I feel like I need to figure out a ballpark goal to train to prior to starting and know there is a ton of experience in the group so I figured I would ask here

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Long time reader and infrequent poster in the group. I am looking for some thoughts/advice. I am about to begin my training plan for Chicago on 6/10 and trying to figure out my goal pace to train for.

I have run 2 fulls in the past in 2016 and have not run the distance since. My times were WDW (5:10) and NYC (4:55). I feel like I am in a place to have a really good improvement over those times but I don’t want to push it too much as my main goals are to finish and enjoy the experience.

I am currently running about 110 miles a month at about a 9:00 pace however most of this is on a treadmill. I recently ran a 15k with around a 9:20 pace which was comfortable. I have run quite a few halves in the past but none real recent with usual times around 2:00.

I feel like I need to figure out a ballpark goal to train to prior to starting and know there is a ton of experience in the group so I figured I would ask here

One good option is to get in touch with @DopeyBadger and ask him to help you with a training plan. He's a regular contributor to these boards and has provided training plans to dozens of people, most of whom see excellent improvement and results.

One good option is to get in touch with @DopeyBadger and ask him to help you with a training plan. He's a regular contributor to these boards and has provided training plans to dozens of people, most of whom see excellent improvement and results.

Will definitely consider. I was planning to use the higdon intermediate as it’s what I have used in the past and seems manageable.

I would use one of your most recent race results as the benchmark to train. A race from 2016 is unlikely to have any use for a race in 2019 to predict times and training. Theres a site out there for race time predictions. Google it and put in your most recent race result and it will give you potential results at other common distances. You can then use that data to back into training paces.

1) Start with where you are now. 2) Be realistic and know your expectations for the race, i.e. do you want it to be an all-out race? hard-but-comfortable? etc. (I see you say finish, but you also feel like a big improvement is possible)

If the 15k is your most recent race, then I would go with that. You say you ran "comfortable". Based on that single datum, your projected marathon time is around 4:20. That right there is a huge improvement. I would use that and calculate the training paces off that.

Here's a link to a site I've used, which will let you play around with all of that.

https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php

You've done marathons before, so you know what you're getting into. Slow is your friend, when it comes to training. Good luck!

1) Start with where you are now. 2) Be realistic and know your expectations for the race, i.e. do you want it to be an all-out race? hard-but-comfortable? etc. (I see you say finish, but you also feel like a big improvement is possible)

If the 15k is your most recent race, then I would go with that. You say you ran "comfortable". Based on that single datum, your projected marathon time is around 4:20. That right there is a huge improvement. I would use that and calculate the training paces off that.

Here's a link to a site I've used, which will let you play around with all of that.

https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php

You've done marathons before, so you know what you're getting into. Slow is your friend, when it comes to training. Good luck!

Cool site. I’m leaning towards a 4:30 goal which would be like a minute per mile reduction. I’m thinking if I do this and feel good I can increase a bit. Also hoping that from what I have read that Chicago is flatter than NY to get a lift from that.

Agree with others. Train where you are with current fitness and pace adjustments due to Temp+Dew in mind. Based on the 15k of 1:27:20 (9:20 pace), I come up with the following:

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.03.44 PM.png

Do you reasonably believe you could beat a 5k of 27:15 under similar conditions to the 15k?

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.03.51 PM.png

Based on the 15k, this is what I would predict as your marathon performance window. A good training plan under similar conditions to the 15k would yield a marathon between 4:24-4:32 as a very hard effort marathon. An average training plan would yield a 4:46. Anything less than 4:46 suggests a non-ideal training cycle/plan. Although, you are welcome to train hard and then race at your leisure. It's your victory lap and you can approach it however you wish. I support all types of goals for the victory lap!

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.09.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.09.12 PM.png

This is the Higdon Intermediate 1 Marathon training plan. It's 5 days per week, one rest day, and one cross training day. There is no speed work in this plan. It contains Saturday runs at "race pace". All other days are "easy" or "long". Based on a long run pace of 10:52 (see below) your 20 mile training runs will take 3:37 hours under ideal conditions. It's my personal recommendation not to exceed 150 min in a training run. But there are arguments to be made for both sides. In peak week you will run for an estimated 43 miles and 7:48 hours.

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.03.58 PM.png

Based on the 15k, I would say the above is your current fitness pacing chart. So the "race pace days" on Saturdays would be done at 9:58 min/mile pace (your fastest training run per week), your long runs should be around 10:52 min/mile, and your easy days between 11:10-11:58 min/mile. You stated you currently train at a 9:00 min/mile. That's roughly 10k pace. So if you're able to maintain that pace for more than 6.22 miles, then we'd need to reassess your current fitness based on that data rather than the 15k results. A person training at an average 9:00 min/mile based should have the following fitness profile based on an 80/20 split of easy/hard running.

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.14.17 PM.png

If these times all look too aggressive from a racing standpoint, then it reinforces that a 9:00 min/mile average training pace is likely too aggressive to yield good training results for you at the moment.

Lastly, this is a chart that provides non-ideal Temp+Dew training paces based on the 15k time.

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.04.12 PM.png

This may seem slow as adjustments, but it's a great starting point to keep the same effort levels as the environmental conditions change.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Agree with others. Train where you are with current fitness and pace adjustments due to Temp+Dew in mind. Based on the 15k of 1:27:20 (9:20 pace), I come up with the following:

View attachment 403089

Do you reasonably believe you could beat a 5k of 27:15 under similar conditions to the 15k?

View attachment 403088

Based on the 15k, this is what I would predict as your marathon performance window. A good training plan under similar conditions to the 15k would yield a marathon between 4:24-4:32 as a very hard effort marathon. An average training plan would yield a 4:46. Anything less than 4:46 suggests a non-ideal training cycle/plan. Although, you are welcome to train hard and then race at your leisure. It's your victory lap and you can approach it however you wish. I support all types of goals for the victory lap!

View attachment 403091
View attachment 403090

This is the Higdon Intermediate 1 Marathon training plan. It's 5 days per week, one rest day, and one cross training day. There is no speed work in this plan. It contains Saturday runs at "race pace". All other days are "easy" or "long". Based on a long run pace of 10:52 (see below) your 20 mile training runs will take 3:37 hours under ideal conditions. It's my personal recommendation not to exceed 150 min in a training run. But there are arguments to be made for both sides. In peak week you will run for an estimated 43 miles and 7:48 hours.

View attachment 403087

Based on the 15k, I would say the above is your current fitness pacing chart. So the "race pace days" on Saturdays would be done at 9:58 min/mile pace (your fastest training run per week), your long runs should be around 10:52 min/mile, and your easy days between 11:10-11:58 min/mile. You stated you currently train at a 9:00 min/mile. That's roughly 10k pace. So if you're able to maintain that pace for more than 6.22 miles, then we'd need to reassess your current fitness based on that data rather than the 15k results. A person training at an average 9:00 min/mile based should have the following fitness profile based on an 80/20 split of easy/hard running.

View attachment 403094

If these times all look too aggressive from a racing standpoint, then it reinforces that a 9:00 min/mile average training pace is likely too aggressive to yield good training results for you at the moment.

Lastly, this is a chart that provides non-ideal Temp+Dew training paces based on the 15k time.

View attachment 403086

This may seem slow as adjustments, but it's a great starting point to keep the same effort levels as the environmental conditions change.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Totally Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I have an 8k on Monday but probably not a great reference as it insanely hot her this weekend in TN and the race has some pretty big hills.

Totally Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I have an 8k on Monday but probably not a great reference as it insanely hot her this weekend in TN and the race has some pretty big hills.

You let me know what the results are and I can make some mathematical adjustments for Temp+Dew and elevation gain to put it back at a roughly equivalent ideal race performance.

I'm super proud of myself so I'm just going to stick this in here. I'm doing the Galloway half marathon training program for beginner runners (well, loosely following it. I don't do well with walk/run because I get lazy, I'm doing better just doing straight running). I was dreading my 5 miles today, but I ran them all in only 56:35. For many of you that is turtle pace, but as someone who was recently a "I'm just going to run to the next telephone pole, then I can walk" kind of person, it's a big accomplishment.:yay:

25 - steph0808 - Path of the Flood Half Marathon (1:53:29 / 1:53:56)

Race recap (mainly for @DopeyBadger since he wrote my training plan!)

1:53:56!

I came d*mn close to my goal! But I have absolutely no regrets about my race - it went very, very well. I had no mental blocks (why am I doing this? I'll never be able to run fast, etc.). I didn't finish hating myself. I felt like I could keep going (for a while). It made me want to run more halfs and more marathons. Sometimes, I finish hating them.

Plus, the 1:53:30 isn't a guaranteed WDW Marathon Corral B cut-off, maybe I'll make it in with my time. Maybe I wouldn't make it in with a 1:52, so it was an arbitrary goal anyway. (And maybe I'll have a better POT come the cut-off date anyway 😉)

What I could have done better:
1. I could have taken better advantage of the downhills.
2. I should have focused on drinking from my water bottle instead of slowing down at two water stops.
3. Remembered goal paces better. I had the A goal pace correct (8:22/mile), but goal pace B was 8:40, not 8:44 like I thought. I probably would have ran a little quicker had I realized that earlier in the race (it's hard to race and do math - I can do math on training runs no problem, but not so much during races).

What I learned:
1. Wear my regular blue shorts for races - I had some chafing with the black ones (which I wear for training all the time, so not sure how that happened). And buy some body glide. And lose 5 pounds.
2. My quads seem built for downhill races. No issues there.

Miles 1-3 were on the open road, miles 3-10 were on a rails-to-trail, miles 10-13.1 were on the open road

Mile 1: 8:19
Mile 2: 7:44 - big downhill!!
Mile 3: 8:30
Mile 4: 8:34
Mile 5: 8:30
Mile 6: 8:41
Mile 7: 8:58 - uphill + water
Mile 8: 8:51
Mile 9: 9:48 - tunnel + big uphill
Mile 10: 8:43
Mile 11: 8:54
Mile 12: 9:00
Mile 13: 9:07

Mile 13.1: 7:11

I'm super proud of myself so I'm just going to stick this in here. I'm doing the Galloway half marathon training program for beginner runners (well, loosely following it. I don't do well with walk/run because I get lazy, I'm doing better just doing straight running). I was dreading my 5 miles today, but I ran them all in only 56:35. For many of you that is turtle pace, but as someone who was recently a "I'm just going to run to the next telephone pole, then I can walk" kind of person, it's a big accomplishment.:yay:

Celebrate each accomplishment. It makes it easier to keep working towards the next one. If you are a 🐢, you are a speedy one. Many of us here are even slower that that, I know that I am!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter