The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD:: I like that you can see the first post content of a thread if you hover over the title (like some other sites which shall not/cannot be named). Took me a little to discover where a person's post count went (useful when you're on the Rent/Trade Board and are trying to judge whether someone is legit.)

ATTQOTD: It’s a mixed bag from me. There are definitely things I like more about the upgrade (the layout is nice, there are parts that seem better on mobile than before), and some things I like less (having to open the sidebar first to navigate, not having the easy navigation at the top of mobile pages on vertical, not hiding the watched threads, less variation with the color themes). But nothing that I dislike is egregious enough to make me stop coming here.

ATTQOTD: I like the added like-is buttons, I like the preview function, and while I am in the 'but I don't do landscape on my phone' group, most of my DISing is done on a computer so I do not see it being a major impact. I dislike the revamp of the 'watched threads' feature as it now seems to show all of the threads, not just those that have been modified since reading. As I am a quick glance at the screen while multitasking user, the bold is not as much of a call out as I would like- I liked the blue dot, I liked that I had to click the drop down to see all the watched threads, I would prefer if they were doing away with those that the unread thread font was a different color all together. But basically bring back the dot.

Running Question/whine: I forgot how I dislike humidity. I had wanted to get in my last long run this weekend (not that I haven't skipped the last two....) but at 99% RH, it was steamy and I could feel my feet squishing in wet socks. When at mile 8 I felt a hot spot where I know I get blisters I cut the run short thinking it was better to cut it short than try to run this weekend with a blister. My shoes felt very wet, but also overly tight whereas they were fine when I started off. I went out this afternoon for a short run, and it is again humid. When I took off my shoes I could see the imprint from my sock spelling out Feetures in my skin. I have not relaced my shoes lately, but I am wondering if my feet are just swelling while I run and I should retie mid run, or if there is something else I should be doing. Ideas?

This weekend we went to see the "puppies". It was only a hour drive this Saturday and we made a day out of it. We got to play with all of the available dogs and see the mom and dad. We spent nearly two hours over there with the owner and his pups and had a hard time picking one out. That was until I was holding this one and DD walked up to it, put her head next to it and said this one is Bella and I love her! Shes a sweet little pup! We will be able to pick her up on June 15, which cant come soon enough! In case anyone was wondering what kind of dog she is, she is a American Brittany. I couldn't be more excited!

Trophy points are a thing with the xenforo software. They really don’t mean anything.
Well poo - I was all excited about that lol!

ATTQOTD: I don't use a mobile device for DIS, so those enhancements are nada to me.
Ditto here.

Running Question/whine: I forgot how I dislike humidity. I had wanted to get in my last long run this weekend (not that I haven't skipped the last two....) but at 99% RH, it was steamy and I could feel my feet squishing in wet socks. When at mile 8 I felt a hot spot where I know I get blisters I cut the run short thinking it was better to cut it short than try to run this weekend with a blister. My shoes felt very wet, but also overly tight whereas they were fine when I started off. I went out this afternoon for a short run, and it is again humid. When I took off my shoes I could see the imprint from my sock spelling out Feetures in my skin. I have not relaced my shoes lately, but I am wondering if my feet are just swelling while I run and I should retie mid run, or if there is something else I should be doing. Ideas?
Sounds like your feet are probably swelling in the heat - maybe need a bigger shoe? I live in FL, where it's rarely below 60% humidity, even when it's chilly, and have never found humidity to be a factor or issue, but my feet are easily 1/2 a size smaller on cold days.

On a different note @DopeyBadger that is a lot of great info on the last couple pages. I’m starting to question if I should slow down my training runs. Since I started with no knowledge and the Galloway plan was the first I ever followed I never changed, but I really only use it is a guideline on how far to run and when. I can run/walk my way to a 2 hour half but the most I’ve ever run continuous is 12 miles and that was a difficult 2:10. I just did 8 miles at 9:30/mile and generally run 9:30-10 min miles until I need a break or run/walk on longer runs. Should I be going slower for longer distances? It seems just as hard to go slow as it does to speed up, like it’s not natural to go less than my usual pace.

I want to point out the bookmarks feature too which is brand new. You can bookmark a post for use in the future. On the top of each post there is a little ribbon of sorts and then when you click on your profile next to your account it says bookmarks and thats where it saves your bookmarked posts.

I hope everyone is well. Back home last night after 17 days in Italy for our 25th anniversary trip. We had a great time and I held up my end of the marital deal by not working out at all. In retrospect, I probably needed the time off. I do hate that I missed the last month of racing season until September.

QOTD: What is your next big running goal to accomplish?

I haven't had the chance to catch up on the thread but this question has been on my mind. The next major goal is the Wilmington Ironman 70.3 in October. I would like to follow up in November with the Malibu Half Marathon when in Los Angeles for the Breeder's Cup. I haven't told anyone yet (I get to tell all of you without repercussions!) as I don't think it will go over well.

It seems just as hard to go slow as it does to speed up, like it’s not natural to go less than my usual pace.

I've worked with around 150 different runners to date. Vets, beginners, run/walk, continuous, and every conceivable combination thus far, and there have only been a very very small handful that have immediately found the slow pacing to be agreeable. It's very very common for it to take a few weeks (maybe even a few months) before it starts to feel natural. And in all those runners, I might have had only 1 or 2 where it just wasn't going to work on slowing down to the paces I suggested. But we found other ways to manipulate the training to make it work. So I'd say it's completely natural to have that feeling that it feels unnatural to go that slow.

I can run/walk my way to a 2 hour half but the most I’ve ever run continuous is 12 miles and that was a difficult 2:10.

So this is a slightly different topic to pacing, but related tangentially to the idea of specificity. You get better at what you train. Training continuously and training using run/walk (or speed intervals) are different. They work the body physiologically differently in that run/walk is primarily working the VO2max/LT end of the pacing structure when running. But the run duration is commonly kept very low compared to continuous running, whereas you aren't pushing the need for running efficiency and economy. I mean it does work it, but not to the same degree. Whereas continuous running requires the ability to hold a certain pace and to maintain the "cocktail of fatigue byproducts" at a level that doesn't force discomfort to the level of needing to slow down or stop. So it's entirely possible that you can run/walk a 2 hour HM and not continuous run a 2 HM under the same environmental conditions. How you train relates to how stylistically you can race most effectively. Some people are going to be naturally better at run/walk and others at continuous.

I just did 8 miles at 9:30/mile and generally run 9:30-10 min miles until I need a break or run/walk on longer runs. Should I be going slower for longer distances?

Let's say a 2 hour HM is a good judge of current fitness:

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 3.56.21 PM.png

This assumes that none of the race equivalents above have been beaten. So if your 5k is faster than 26:05 recently, then you'd want to use that other 5k value instead of a 2 hour HM.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 3.56.27 PM.png

These are the training paces for someone with the fitness of a 2 hour HM currently. Not necessarily someone who wants to complete a 2 hour HM, but someone who has a race equivalent suggesting current fitness. That goes back to the whole "train where you are and not where you want to be" concept and physiologically based pacing. Anyways, this would suggest that someone with 2 hour HM fitness should be doing about 80% of their training at 10:24 min/mile pace or slower. About 50% of training at 10:41 pace or slower. Only 20% of pacing should be at 9:33 or faster. And depending on the upcoming goal race would dictate where that 20% would fall on the pacing spectrum. Upcoming 5k, you'd probably be down in the 1 mile, 3k, 10k zone. Upcoming marathon, you'd probably be in the LT, HM T, M T zone. But that should all be dictated by the training plan you're following. Most (but not all) Galloway plans found on runDisney are 100% easy pacing. So he would have you doing most all training at 10:24 or slower. That's because that LR through easy pacing is nearly 100% aerobic and is the main driver to making endurance gains.

ATTQOTD Clothing: I've ran enough races now to where I have plenty of tech shirts. That said, I have learned that certain styles/brands function better at longer distances, so I save them for long runs. And if I see those styles on sale especially at a great price, I usually pick up one or two up just in case especially now that I'm doing challenge races on a yearly basis.

ATTQOTD Board Updates: Getting used to it. I rarely browse the boards from my phone, but that might be better now.

@DopeyBadger
Thank you, that is a lot to ponder, currently my best fairly recent 5K beats that by only 9 seconds so I’m thinking I can go off this chart quite nicely. Right now I have no planned races before Wine and Dine and then WDW Dopey so I am just trying to maintain and possibly improve endurance by running 4 miles Tues and Thurs and between 6 and 10 on Saturdays (depends on how the first 5 feel). My last one was 8 with the following splits: 9:56, 9: 56, 9:41, 9:36, 9:16, 9:09, 8:43, 9:03. I felt great through 7.5 miles and then started to slow, and I know had I kept going would have ran out of steam. Sub 9 on long runs is where I’d like to be but it looks like I need to work on distance first, then speed. I’ll try to hold it at 10:30 and increase the distance on the long run and see what happens

@DopeyBadger
Thank you, that is a lot to ponder, currently my best fairly recent 5K beats that by only 9 seconds so I’m thinking I can go off this chart quite nicely. Right now I have no planned races before Wine and Dine and then WDW Dopey so I am just trying to maintain and possibly improve endurance by running 4 miles Tues and Thurs and between 6 and 10 on Saturdays (depends on how the first 5 feel). My last one was 8 with the following splits: 9:56, 9: 56, 9:41, 9:36, 9:16, 9:09, 8:43, 9:03. I felt great through 7.5 miles and then started to slow, and I know had I kept going would have ran out of steam. Sub 9 on long runs is where I’d like to be but it looks like I need to work on distance first, then speed. I’ll try to hold it at 10:30 and increase the distance on the long run and see what happens

And remember, even if you're not specifically training for a race being on something structured likely gives you the highest probability of improvement. But what you choose to do needs to mesh well when your actual race specific plan starts such that you don't lead to stagnation late in the race specific training cycle. I think you'll see the biggest gains moving away from three days per week and slowly moving to 4, 5, or 6 days over several cycles. It goes back to properly manipulating the recovery cycle which in turn forces adaptation to the stimulus when done appropriately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter