The Running Thread - 2019

They make pedialyte pops which contain electrolytes, they are not bad until someone pukes red dye all over the house.

Adding to shark tank notes: make them neutral in color.

I did a marathon where they had red Gatorade/Powerade. I spilled most of a cup on my white running shirt. I looked like I'd been shot.

Luckily :), the marathon was run in a monsoon, so it didn't take long to get rinsed out.

Based on the elevation map, how bad would this half marathon actually be? Course is all pavement, but the temperature could be as low as 40 and as high as 80. I have done 4 other half marathons (including WDW), but all of them have been pretty flat.

View attachment 407164

I'm moving to an area where races are no where near as plentiful as the Chicago area, so my choice for a distance race in October within 50 miles of the new house is this or a 10 k.
Really, really bad.
I mean, I wouldn’t shoot for a PR vs a flat course, but it’s not bad. But then again, I am a really poor judge of that sort of thing these days.

ATTQOTD: I was going to write that all I want is some cold (or frozen) liquid after a hot run/race but I probably should be more specific and say Power/Gatorade, juice, milk or water... We will see how that wine settles tomorrow at my Half in the vineyards.:crazy2:

ETA: An hour later, I’d like a burger with chips, please!

I mean, I wouldn’t shoot for a PR vs a flat course, but it’s not bad. But then again, I am a really poor judge of that sort of thing these days.
You are right - I thought that the elevation changes were in meters, not feet. The elevation chart makes it look worse than it really is. Strava might even classify this route as "Flat" given the long but gradual elevation changes.

Governor's Cup 10K race report

Long time no post...May was crazy; I was away from home and from work for a solid two weeks (mostly work travel). My training regimen took a hit, but it was sort of expected. I was very glad that I'd downgraded this weekend's run at the Governor's Cup from half marathon to 10K, since I'd not managed to get over 5.5 miles in training up to now.

I wasn't confident going in, and my plan was to walk at least the first half mile, if not a full mile. That plan lasted for a quarter of a mile before I couldn't stand it and started in on easy intervals. Helena is a very hilly course (there are basically no real flat stretches), but this morning we were blessed with weather in the 40s and 50s (and the rain held off until after the races). I started out with the walking folks and didn't fully break away from them until around mile 3, shortly before the 10K course merged with the Half Marathon/Marathon course at the base of Cardiac Hill. It was kind of inspiring to see a bunch of people who'd already run more than either 10 or 20 miles go chugging along past me at a steady pace right up that thing. It's something to aspire to.

I'm glad I had a chance to run Cardiac Hill in a lower mileage race, since I'd still like to run one of the longer races at the GC someday. It's very deceptive; it goes on for most of a mile but it has enough dips and plateaus on the way up that it appears you've seen the top of it three or four times before the real peak comes into sight. Afterward it was mostly downhill for a good while, but I made the mistake of thinking it'd be a gentle downgrade for the last half mile after we dropped down into Last Chance Gulch--forgetting, of course, that we were dropping down into the low end and running up that gentle grade instead. I pushed too hard as we came to the drop into the gulch as a result, and by the last quarter mile I was in rough shape; I'd never felt nauseous during a run before that. I don't think I was the only one; someone had collapsed just a couple blocks from the finish line and was being taken away on a stretcher--I'm guessing one of the longer distance runners. :(

A local friend of mine waited for me at the finish line after he finished (forty minutes ahead of me) and we walked back to our cars together. The cool weather had felt great during the race, but today was also my first time experiencing a post-race temperature drop, and that mile walk back was a bit miserable apart from good conversation. I'd managed to find a hotel with late checkout, so I had plenty of time to shower before meeting some local friends for lunch and making the drive back...and then passed out all afternoon when I tried to take a 30 minute lie-down. :rolleyes2

Time: 1:38:22
Automatic PR (my first 10K!)

Last edited:

You are right - I thought that the elevation changes were in meters, not feet. The elevation chart makes it look worse than it really is. Strava might even classify this route as "Flat" given the long but gradual elevation changes.
Speaking of elevation profiles, i really need y’all to come to an agreement please. 407539407540407541

@LSUlakes final time 2:40:25

I am feeling pretty rough right now, I took it easy on myself with the running, but I tripped twice in the last 1.5 miles and hit the ground. Finished bruised and bleeding from an elbow, a knee, and both hands.

Good times! Great aid station, because trail run. Coca-Cola, sour gummi worms, chips ahoy cookies, potato chips.407542
Start temp was 40 or so, finish temp was 49. Snow was in the forecast for last night but did not come to fruition.

I ran our local church 5k yesterday and had a field of maybe 100 people. It was all on pea-gravel and trails in a forest preserve so I’d say this could be considered a kinda trail race. I had been sick AGAIN earlier last week and still wasn’t feeling totally back to normal but I just didn’t want another DNS. No chips, all gun time with a guy with a stopwatch at the end. Lots of hills. Field spread out pretty early and I knew I was like at least in the top 10-15 women with at least 6-7 near my age in my sights (pack of teenagers shot off like rockets at the beginning). Just “run my race” is tough when I can smell a possible age group award. I pac manned a few gals and played back and forth with one at the end. She ultimately got me on a hill. Luckily she was one age group younger. But no one ever passed me that was not in the initial group I was near so that felt good. It was super sunny and I’m not used to hills but now I have a good place to go train on hills!
I don’t have official time yet as I wait to see if they post it or not. But maybe 29 something? I didn’t hit my watch til about .5 miles (duh)
Received 2nd place in 36-45 (was worried about that age range...ladies over 40 tend to be fast) and 1st was so far ahead. Really happy with that. Won a giant basket of gin and vodka.
All in all I still feel like I’m not back to normal roxy running levels but proud I gutted it out. Good motivation to get healthy and re-focus :)

Side note:my dad signed up (bc it was for charity) and said to the organizer that he was gonna walk a little, turn around and come back but not to count him as the winner. He walked 5 min with his cane, turned around and came back and they jokingly gave him the sirens and winners treatment. Then gave him his DQ which he happily accepted :)

@Professor_Cookie You are one tough MF to run a race like that. My whole body feels strain just looking at that elevation chart.
My next race is a 16 miler starting at 7000 feet in the Park City Mountain parking lot, with the half way point at 10000 if ya wanna join me. I’m gonna take that a little slower so I don’t trip in another rock garden. The right side of my body from knee to shoulder to hand is in really bad shape.

Really, really bad.

After seeing that elevation graph you posted mine might just be a minor training run for you.

Going to keep thinking about this. Might just do it for the experience and see how my training is going and plan to drive north for a PR attempt in March.

Demi-Marathon des Vignobles Race Recap

I have never been so relax pre-race. This Half-Marathon in the vineyards came less than two weeks after Ottawa Half-Marathon and was for enjoyment purpose.

I did not carb-load and even had a glass of wine with my steak the night before. I think that I wanted to test how I react in less optimal conditions... or I just really wanted to honour the theme of the weekend.

The course was on country roads (partially open roads with cones in the middle) around mount Yamaska. I found it pretty flat but not everyone would agree. It was no less than gorgeous. The sun was there but it was not too hot, the orchards and vineyards were green and the smell, it depends, a mix of flowers, forests and horses.

The wine and bites tasting were all in the first two kilometres to serve those doing the 5km. The first station, after less than a km, started with olives. At 8AM, I decided that eating them would be crossing the line between wanting to have fun and looking for trouble. So I took a glass of grey wine from Coteau St-Paul instead. At the second station, there were a lot of different options but I easily choose ice wine from Les Petits Cailloux with a mini-waffle. At the third station, I tried a red wine from Les Grands St-Charles with some cheese straws. And I happily continued running for the next 19km. Did I mention that it was a gorgeous day?

I crossed the finish line and my mom was there cheering and taking pictures of me! She was glad that I had sent her a selfie before the race so she knew what I was wearing. We spent the rest of the morning in the park together. Very nice.

Conclusion: I can stomach pretty much anything before and during a relax race. And, surprise, my time was not that slow 2:03:26 including all the wine tasting and goofing off! Maybe I am ready to tackle another Half-Marathon right after? Oh, wait, that is what I am registered for in September: My first Full-Marathon.
E784250F-897C-4953-913C-6C038D42578A.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally caught up! Woo-hoo. Survived the Baltimore 10 Miler last week (MUCH better experience than last year!). Actually felt pretty good at the end (and in response to the donut picture someone posted: Dunkin sets up a table each year around 8.5 miles in; this year we got to it just as they were breaking down and giving out full boxes of munchkins. Not the small ones, either, the like, 50-count ones. So that was schlepped home after the race...). Pace isn't really improving much, but I'm also not particularly consistent at the moment, so to be expected.

I wrote out answers to all the QOTDs I remembered, but it's super-long! So behind the cut if anyone is interested in my longwinded ramblings.

Do-over: Bird-in-Hand half. Something was off, affected my gait, and I had a BAD time of it. Had to short course myself to make sure I'd still be functional for work the following day. Really bummed, as it was a lovely race put on by some of the nicest folks I've met.

Balance: Hah! I can barely get work-life balance, let alone anything else. Hopefully that'll stabilize starting August...

Longest sports: Participating in: swim meets. Man, those went on forever. Watching in person: 2017 NLDS Game 5 (Cubs at Nationals). Or some doubleheaders? But the NLDS went only 9 innings, took over 5 hours. Mostly because of the crazy 5th inning (you know how there are over half a dozen ways to get on first without a hit? The Cubs hit seemingly all of those that half inning. It was amazing.) But at least I got to see my cubbies clinch a postseason series :D Watching on TV: I'm sure there have been crazy long baseball games...otherwise, the Olympics (woo-hoo for 2 weeks straight of watching the games!)

New gear: Not for a while...had enough bottoms, get new tops with new races all the time. May need to get some new leggings soon, as I think I've officially dropped a pants size !

New board: eh, I'm on a laptop, it's a bit of a wash for me.

Summer vs. Winter: am more likely to go outside when it's warmer out...otherwise, not much discernible difference.

Galaxy's Edge: not in the foreseeable future. I owe my sister a Disney trip, but it's not going to happen until I'm back into full time work instead of juggling a million different little things. Although we're totally going to hit HKDL when we're in Hong Kong next month, so that's something?

Global running day: I wasn't going to do the Philly 8k again this year (the one that's held during marathon weekend) -- not that I minded it at all, it was a nice race, it was just COLD. But they had a discount and I could get it super cheap and...yeah. Almost did the same thing for RnR NOLA, but their "convenience fees" were exorbitant (and would have put the weekend at close to $100 for just the 5k and 10k, let alone travel, etc.). And there are two other big ticket things I've got my eyes on (The Who branded Doc Martens! The Apollo 11 LM Lego set! Curse my current financial state).

Race distance: Probably 10k. Enough that it feels somewhat substantial (hey, I'm a slow walker!) but not a killer like the longer distances.

Post-race snack: hell yes to some watermelon. They still had plenty left after the 10miler, it was awesome. I'm sure it looked like something else, I know I was just dripping all down my front, but didn't care one bit...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter