The Running Thread - 2019

A late start to the thread today! Getting back to real life is not a fun adjustment after Disney! QOTD: How often do you run races just for fun?

This is a relevant question for me as one of my primary goals this year is to have a more positive attitude - more enjoyment and less competitive outlook.

But the question is: "What is fun?" I guess it is different for everyone. To me, it seems to be more fun to test training and physical capabilities (despite the pain.) With that said, I have enjoyed the few times that I have run/walked with my wife and I also understand that every race cannot be an A race. Last week I ran the WDW half at a more leisurely pace and it wasn't very fun (though I enjoyed the entire race atmosphere.)

ATTQOTD: I’ve decided that 2019 was to be the year of fun when it comes to running. I want to make gains, but I want to balance that out with making lots of fun memories. I have my A race coming up in March, but it’s sandwiched between two fun runs. I’m running with the neighborhood ladies (aka the Golden Girls) where some of us are running the 10K and some are running or walking the 5K. We are all celebrating together with the post race food and drinks. The weekend after my A race I’m running just for the pretty peacock medal that’s given out every year.

@LSUlakes can you add my races?

March 2019
2 - Bree - Best Damn Race Orlando 10K (NG/NA)
17 - Bree - Excalibur 10 Miler (1:34:59/NA)
23 - Bree - Winter Park Road Race 10K (NG/NA)

QOTD: How often do you run races just for fun?
This feels a bit like a trick question. While I always go out wanting to have fun, there is usually a time goal attached. The only recent race where I completely threw out all time goals was the WDW marathon. I am so glad I did! I stopped for photos when I wanted to and took extra long walk breaks when I needed to (I’m looking at you last 7 miles when the sun was beating down on me!) I may have not hit my C time goal... but I finished my first marathon and achieved my goal of having fun! Now I think I may have to run for fun more often!

QOTD: How often do you run races just for fun?
ATTQOTD: They are all just for fun for me. I don't see myself winning or qualifying for anything in the near future. That being said, I will most like run hard with time goals for any race I do in 2019 outside of the Disney races which will be more laid back.

"It will be fun...!!"

Last edited:
A late start to the thread today! Getting back to real life is not a fun adjustment after Disney! QOTD: How often do you run races just for fun?

All my races are for fun. And they are fun ... when I sign up for them and after I finish them.:rotfl2: I rarely set a time goal and just go into it as "I will do the best I can do today." Of course, I don't have a competitive bone in my body, didn't start running until I was 58, and did my first Disney marathon at 60. I didn't start running so that I could "win" but just because I needed a hobby and needed to keep healthy after retirement.

Finally, caught up with reading this thread after I got home! Whew!

ATTQOTD: Every race I run I plan to have fun. I only do about 8-10 races a year but I set a time goal they I try to hit. A lot of times it is a new PR (if I don't get a PR no big deal at all though). I've done two Disney challenges that I treated as long training/semi-tempo runs since they've occurred right before one of my goal races.

ATTQOTD: All of my races so far have had a time goal, which I take to mean was not for "FUN". That being said, I still have fun, or I wouldn't be doing them. However, I may have to move my race in February to the official fun category, as after waking up sore after an easy 5 mile run yesterday, setting a new half PR in three weeks doesn't seem likely.

did my first-ever (indoor) triathlon this weekend :) I'm rather pleased with how I did -- swimming was both above expectations (satisfied with the distance I made in the 10 minutes, especially on my back) and a bit disheartening (was sucking wind *hard* and very quickly, possibly because I haven't properly done laps since h.s., hence doing the laps on my back); bike, I crushed my goal (not having trained on it, I looked at previous years' results and tried to gauge comparisons based on the bottom of the rankings); treadmill was right on target. I'm sore today, but quite proud of myself. Looking into more to see how much I can improve, especially if I can get back into the pool/actually train on the bike.

questions!
- fun at races: given that they cost me money, I kind of have to justify that I'm enjoying it somehow...
- medals: my sentimental favorite is probably the first one I ever earned (Baltimore 10 miler, 2016) -- it was my first "long" distance as well as first medal, and I really felt accomplished for finishing the race.
13315668_10100872054293008_1396963853862659365_n.jpg

Overall, though, my new favorite is probably the one I got for the Space Coast half a few months ago -- not only was it a great experience and I felt really great afterward, since I'm a super space nerd, I just love it.
46914919_10101763505757128_6160271133091299328_n.jpg

ATTQOTD: Like many other DISers, I would label all of my races as fun runs. I have two A races that I tentatively pencil in per year to try and improve my POT for Disney, but I never push myself to my absolute limits and if I'm not feeling it that particular day I have no issues taking it slow and steady. Different strokes for different folks, but I don't earn any money from running so I see no point in pushing myself to the point of pain/heat exhaustion/injury just to set a PR. :confused3

ATTQOTD: Honestly I just want to run a race, it has been a year now. Given the injury and the amount of time away I know that the worst thing I can do is go into my races this spring and summer with time goals that are not reasonable. I will not be able to match what I ran before for awhile, if ever. So I am just going to run to finish the distance, take in the moment and and relish the privledge of pushing my body again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter