The Running Thread - 2019

This includes 17 miles hiking the AT approach and some slow miles nursing a sore leg, so it is actually almost 2 mpm slower than usual. Training slower to run faster!

We hiked the entire AT in Georgia last year. For our fall vacation we are hiking the AT in GSMNP and where ever else we can get to. We are planning the approach trail from Amicola on the Friday after Thanksgiving!

Thanks for all the congrats everyone.

Unfortunaety my thoughts towards Berlin's handling of me seemed to keep getting worse. In hindsight there was stuff I've seen/heard about that makes there 'You're cane is a weapon' statement either really hilarious or really strange. And definitely really infuriating. Sure you're security won't let me through with a cane. But the same security will choose to allow an ironing board and a runner with a royal staff through? And a wheelchair duo?

The more I think about it the more it feels like I got screwed for trying to cross my ts and dot my is essentially with Berlin.

I'm just in a really weird place right now where I'm over the moon about Boston and at the same time angry with Berlin. Its a weird emotional place to be.

Last edited:
We hiked the entire AT in Georgia last year. For our fall vacation we are hiking the AT in GSMNP and where ever else we can get to. We are planning the approach trail from Amicola on the Friday after Thanksgiving!
Sept. 2 was our 40th anniversary, so to celebrate, we stayed at Amicalola Lodge, hiked up and down all the trails/steps around the falls the first day, then hiked up AT approach and down Lenfoot Hike Inn trail back to the Lodge. Hoping to hike more of the trail in the future. Much research is needed though.

Guys -- Alberto Salazar banned for 4 years for orchestrating doping violations

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a29312870/alberto-salazar-doping-ban/
Anybody have opinions on this?
This...
It’s about damn time.
Exactly. As someone who battles exercise-induced asthma and must use an inhaler in order to run, and HAS to take medications for hypothyroidism to avoid actual, you know, death, it's long burned me up that Salazar was clearly pushing the limits, if not completely in the wrong.

What does this mean for the athletes, like Rupp & Hasay, that still run for him?
IDK - I have the same question and it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Last I saw, Nike's still got his back, which is kind of amazing, and not in a good way.

As someone who battles exercise-induced asthma and must use an inhaler in order to run, and HAS to take medications for hypothyroidism to avoid actual, you know, death, ...
OMG twinsies!

My exercise-induced asthma only comes on when I get emotional during a race though. Hubby surprised me on the course in a half I was about to PR in and I almost drowned, my airways just closed up with emotion. The soaring music in WS at the end of the marathon is going to kill me one of these days. The human body is very, very weird.

September totals
107.5km (67 miles) run
Average run 5.65km (3.5 miles) at 7 minutes/km (11:12/mile)

Although I hit my goal of 100km/month, my pace slowed down and I ran less in September.

I blame the haze which limited most outdoor activity for a couple of weeks, and which also meant that my grand plan of building up my run distances got derailed as I just didn't want to spend that much time outdoors doing physical activity when the air quality wasn't great. Thankfully it seems that the haze is mostly gone - for now - so hopefully I can build up my run distances a bit more this month before Wine and Dine half!

Also - I did an 18.45km race on Sunday. Had signed up for it as part of my buildup towards Wine and Dine half, but due to the haze I didn't manage to train as much or as well for it as I'd hoped. On the upside, I finished it in 2:27 (approx pace of 8 minutes/km or 12:50/mile) which was faster than when I did the same race (same distance but different route) two years ago (2:34). On the downside, I only managed to run about the first 12km, then fast walked for 3km, before running the last 3km, whereas two years ago I managed to jog the entire distance!

What I'm finding rather nice right now is that I had zero feelings of muscle soreness after the race, and managed to walk a reasonable distance after the race in search of breakfast. In fact I was raring to go running again on Monday and had to stop myself from running (rest day, went for a 5km walk instead), and went out for a 5km run today! Whereas in the past I would have done the race, then taken the entire week (or entire month!) off from running...

I'm also feeling more confident about Wine and Dine half now... Both for finishing the half within pacing requirements, and also for the ability to wander around the parks after!

September:
Running: 42 miles
Walking: 35 miles

Nothing too exciting to report for the month, just thankful to be still running! I ran or went on a walk every day again in September, which has kept me feeling good.

I am having some serious "fomo" with everyone's fall races!
Baby is due in mid-December, do we think a May half is too ambitious? Would love to hear from anyone with experience with this, knowing that everyone is obviously different and recovers at her own pace.

September:
Running: 42 miles
Walking: 35 miles

Nothing too exciting to report for the month, just thankful to be still running! I ran or went on a walk every day again in September, which has kept me feeling good.

Baby is due in mid-December, do we think a May half is too ambitious? Would love to hear from anyone with experience with this, knowing that everyone is obviously different and recovers at her own pace.

Hmm, I'd say a tad ambitious. You won't be able to run until February then (after you are cleared at 6 weeks, assuming everything goes well with no complications). Then you have to build up your mileage while also taking care of a new life and whatever that looks like for you re: feeding, care schedule, working, etc. and worrying about peeing yourself while running those first few weeks/months...

I didn't build back up to a half until my oldest was 11 months old (she was born in June and I did a half the next May), but everyone is different.

I would encourage you to take a wait and see approach. FOMO is a real thing, but so is sleep deprivation, ppd, and exhaustion.
Regardless if May finds you running a half, walking a mile, or doing your best to stay awake until lunch, the races will be there when you are ready.

I'll add my vote for take it as it comes and follow your body's lead. I wasn't racing at all back when I was pregnant, but I was anxious to get back to some daily exercise, so I started run-walking on the treadmill at 4 weeks post-partum. It was too soon. Much too soon. And my body was very clear in telling me so. Honestly, I didn't feel "normal" for nearly a year, and getting a mile in was a big accomplishment most days. No way could I have trained for a half in those first 5 months!

That said, every woman is different - the key point I hope to make is that you just won't know how you will feel until you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter