The Running Thread - 2019

Happy Thanksgiving week to everyone. Hope it's a great one.

Got another question that I could use some help with:
How long do you typically wait to fly after running? I've got a marathon coming up that I should complete by 11:30 AM. Giving serious consideration to catching a 4:00 pm flight from Arizona back to Virginia later that day. Any health or safety issues with this plan?
Was interested in the response to this as I just booked my flights after Disney for 5:30 pm Sunday night. I'm not looking forward to it.

My husband said that I also need to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy movies because I love the ride so much. No thanks. Just give me the riiiiide.
I agree with others that Guardians really works well as a stand alone movie(s) but also plays a huge role in the Infinity Saga. I tell everyone who is not into Marvel to at least watch Guardians. It is really not a "Super Hero" movie and the humor alone makes it a great movie.

I think my second favorite Marvel movie is Ant-Man which is also laugh out loud funny and Paul Rudd is just awesome.

I was hesitant to get into the MCU because I am not a huge Super Hero fan and frankly, they are all basically the same. And the Marvel movies do have alot of those elements I hate -- like 5 guys with guns run at Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow) who is only armed with her martial arts expertise as she one by one knocks them out with punches and roundhouse kicks. Hello! You don't have to run at her. Just shoot her. lol.

But there are a few reasons why Marvel - at least the Infinity Saga is really amazing and great to get into:

1) The stories and back stories. Marvel is pulling from a near endless catalog of comics with so many great characters. I think this is where they separate from the recent Star Wars sequels. Disney does a great job with production, technology and effects (huge budgets), but for me the story telling on the last two Star Wars movies - especially Last Jedi have been mehh. Marvel gets all the advantages of the huge budgets but also has the stories already built in.

2) A-List talent. The Marvel movies are a who's who of Hollywood. Try to find an A list actor NOT in a Marvel movie. lol. I mean from Chis Pratt to Anthony Hopkins and everyone in between.

3) The one liners. There are so many and it really keeps the whole idea of a Super Hero universe in perspective (It really is funny if you think about it).

4) The tie ins - This is probably the best part. Yeah, it is way hard to get into 23 movies. And I have seen most but not all. But it is very cool how they somewhat subtlety tied them all together. Since I kinda watched them all over the place, I would love to watch them all in order - either by release or chronological. I can't tell you how many times I would be watching one movie and said "Ahhh now that part in (another Marvel movie) makes sense now!!

My husband said that I also need to watch the Guardians of the Galaxy movies because I love the ride so much. No thanks. Just give me the riiiiide.

My hubby & kids are huge into the Marvel movies. I too was skeptical of the GOG movies, but I ended up loving them. The music is awesome and the humor is great, especially Groot. I enjoyed them more than the other Marvel movies.

And admittedly, I have crushes on Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, & Chris Hemsworth, so that helps too. :laughing: My husband's name is Chris as well and he jokes that he is "4th Chris". :rotfl:

Hubby and I were debating what order to watch the marvel movies (we've only seen a handful) and we've decided on going in order of cinematic release instead of timeline. Our reasoning was that all the fun "nods" to the other movies in the prequels would be missed by us. And that the intention of the people making the movies would be lost. Like any "A-HA" moments about origin stories wouldn't be as powerful. Also we like time jumping more than just one steady "and this happened, and then this happened" storytelling.
But it was a debate.
That's actually what changed my mind on viewing order. Episode III especially almost requires that you know where the story is going in order for the ending to work. Without giving anything away, the emotional power of the ending to III (and I don't mean the big duel at the end) hinges on knowing what is coming. For new viewers, I like the flashback order (IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, VIII, and soon IX) because it still allows for those origin nods to work without telling the entire story before you see the origin.
I am just going to actively admit that the only "super hero" movies I have seen are the Batman movies (up to The Dark Knight Rises) and The Punisher. Hahahaha. Comic based movies just aren't my jam so I am good not watching them.
Okay, this might be a wildly unpopular opinion around these parts, but I will watch any of the 3 Dark Knight trilogy movies over the best of the Marvel movies every day. And I truly enjoy the Marvel films.

As for whether you should watch Guardians of the Galaxy because you love Mission Breakout? I think that depends on why you love the ride. If the story elements of the ride increase your enjoyment, then give the movie a try. If you just love the drop elements, then I don't know that the movie will enhance your feelings about the ride.

I say this as someone who never watched Pocahantas until well after I had seen World of Color. I thought the Colors of the Wind segment from World of Color was great. Well, after watching Pocahantas (which I did not like for a variety of reasons), I found that my enjoyment of that segment from World of Color had lessened.

Was interested in the response to this as I just booked my flights after Disney for 5:30 pm Sunday night. I'm not looking forward to it.

I have always heard not to fly the same day as a marathon because it can cause blood clots. I don't know if there is any truth to it but since the only time I flew for a marathon was for Disney so I was looking for an excuse to stay extra days.

It has been a crazy month. I was sick with a cold for a week. My hot water heater gave way one day so I lost part of the floor in my finished basement, and had my head lamp die on me mid run one night so I had to walk walk home in the dark. I just can't keep up on this thread as much as I wish I could, but I wanted to stop in and say Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

My hubby & kids are huge into the Marvel movies. I too was skeptical of the GOG movies, but I ended up loving them. The music is awesome and the humor is great, especially Groot. I enjoyed them more than the other Marvel movies.

And admittedly, I have crushes on Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, & Chris Hemsworth, so that helps too. :laughing: My husband's name is Chris as well and he jokes that he is "4th Chris". :rotfl:
I thought the fourth Chris was Chris Pine.

Totally understand about the not looking forward to same day flying. Since you are doing yours before me, I look forward to any tips and suggestions you have to make the experience tolerable.

@waitingtogoback....I heard something similiar which is why I asked the question. My plan is to get up as much as possible and walk to back of plane to keep legs moving.

At least you don’t have to worry about shouting out the wrong name at an, um, delicate moment :rotfl:

I am just going to actively admit that the only "super hero" movies I have seen are the Batman movies (up to The Dark Knight Rises) and The Punisher. Hahahaha. Comic based movies just aren't my jam so I am good not watching them.

I’m with you on comic/super hero movies. I’ve tried to watch a couple of the marvel ones, get about 10 minutes in to what is inevitably a visual onslaught with little else, and switch off.

Work update - just heard today I’m on a team implementing a new computer system for the NZ division of our US parent. That means some trips north next year, I think to Chicago! Family not overly enthused and will be even less so once I figure out a way of sneaking a solo Disney weekend!

I have always heard not to fly the same day as a marathon because it can cause blood clots. I don't know if there is any truth to it but since the only time I flew for a marathon was for Disney so I was looking for an excuse to stay extra days.
I've heard that too. Fortunately for us the flight is pretty short.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I'd heard that too. I'm doing a 10k/Half Challenge in Dallas in 2 weeks and am flying to Disney World after the half. My sister's a pediatrician and I asked her about the blood clot. She said to walk around between the race and the flight and made me order compression leg sleeves, but said otherwise it's not ideal but should be ok. She said if there have been other health issues before, that's a different story, but if you've otherwise been healthy, it should be ok.

Sporadic poster here. Mostly a lurker at least here lately (I’m doing well to get on once a week to catch up on reading).

So I was excited for a total of two hours today. :hyper: I mentioned to DH that I’d love to run W&D 2020 and he didn’t shoot it down immediately. He was open to me flying down alone and flying back no later than Sunday. We have friends whose house backs up to MK. HE also runs W&D. So, ideally, I would stay with them, run the same race he does, and have one of them take me back to the airport. Well...I’m not the type to invite myself over, much less to sleep there a couple of nights.

So excitement over :sad:

Race recap: Fountain Hills Turkey Trot 5k

We were worried all week that we were going to get drenched at this race. Forecast was for rain all day. And...the rain got delayed a bit.

The four of us (myself, my wife @AnotherCrazyMom, my daughter, and my younger son) got up early to go run; my in-laws would meet us afterwards with milk and donuts, and we'd watch the Thanksgiving parade together.

I haven't been training much for the past month or so - my knee gave me a serious "back off" notice, then as I was ready to start running again our air quality tanked. I was hoping for under 40 minutes at this point.

Lots of people there - the race is usually about 1400 people, plus a bunch more doing the 1 mile walk, plus assorted others who are just there for the community. Unfortunately, they don't really segment the launch, so everybody goes at the same time, including the casual walkers. Makes for an awkward first quarter-mile or so.

The course is the same as last year; I'm not a fan of the change. The new course is, basically, uphill for half a mile, downhill for a mile and a half, and then uphill for a mile to the finish line. Elevation change top to bottom is about 120 feet.

Younger son separated himself and started out on his own; the other three of us started out roughly together. I thought my daughter was in front of me and wife and son were behind me.

The uphill wasn't so bad, and then the downhill is good at suckering you into a false sense of security. Then the uphill starts again.

On a flat part with about half a mile to go, my daughter passed me. I told her I thought she'd been in front of me. "So did I." "Well, you are now." She crossed the line shortly ahead of me; my wife crossed under a minute behind me, and younger son came in about 3 minutes later. I think he might have set a PR at 43:02.

Final result, 38:41, a pace of 12:26/mi. Better than I expected. I came in 77th out of 100 in my age group, 909th of 1319 overall.

And then, walking back to the car to get jackets for the parade, it started to rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter