The Running Thread - 2019

Be right over for dinner!
{still mourning the loss of our local distillery10 years later}
Distilleries are really picking up here, including the one we paired with, which is fun, because Utah. Fun fact-the first person to import whiskey to Utah was Brigham Young.

Happy New Year to all! Thanks again to @LSUlakes for keeping this thread going.

My 2019 races (so far):

March
17 - BikeFan - Shamrock Marathon (3:24:59/NA)

April
15 - BikeFan - Boston Marathon (NG/NA)

September
19 - BikeFan - Berlin Marathon (NG/NA)

November
16 - BikeFan - Richmond Marathon (3:24:59/NA)

Short term goals are to BQ for 2020 and 2021 this year, and hopefully get a PR for annual mileage (2500+). I'd also like to run a qualifying half marathon time (sub-1:32) for the NYC Marathon and hopefully get in for 2020. I may go for a marathon PR in Richmond in November, but we'll have to see how motivated I am do do that.

Long term goals are the same as always - keep running, stay healthy, and have fun along the way!

Thanks for running this thread again this year! My short term goal is to hit 70 runs out of 100 in the Slowtwitch 100 in 100 challenge. I'm a bit behind thanks to too many good meals over the holidays. Long term goal this year is to get a late fall marathon in, probably Richmond or Space Coast, along with a 70.3 or full IM and prep for Dopey 2020.

Run Richmond! It's the obvious choice! :D

ATTQOTD:
Short Term - Complete Goofy next week and make a final determination on whether I'm going to attempt the 50 miler in February.

Which 50 miler are you considering? I want to do another, but it's got to be an interesting course. My last one had too much looping/backtracking for my tastes. If I'm going to be out there THAT long, I need new scenery every few miles!

Which 50 miler are you considering? I want to do another, but it's got to be an interesting course. My last one had too much looping/backtracking for my tastes. If I'm going to be out there THAT long, I need new scenery every few miles!

I'm looking at the Light 2 Light 50 Miler on February 2nd on the Outer Banks of NC. The course runs from the Currituck Beach Lighthouse in Corolla down to the Bodie Island Lighthouse south of Nags Head and then heads back into Nags Head to finish at Jennette's Pier. The course is pancake flat, running between 0 and 13 feet above sea level, and should be pretty scenic running down the island. The time limit is also a very generous 15 hours (18 min/mile). One of the additional things that attracted me to it is the fact that it's a road course vs most of the ultras I've run across that have been trails.

Is anyone going to try and Hang with Meb's pace group at Shamrock. I've heard he's pacing the 1:30 pace group. I'm tempted to sign up and just see how long I can hang with that group.

I'm looking at the Light 2 Light 50 Miler on February 2nd on the Outer Banks of NC. The course runs from the Currituck Beach Lighthouse in Corolla down to the Bodie Island Lighthouse south of Nags Head and then heads back into Nags Head to finish at Jennette's Pier. The course is pancake flat, running between 0 and 13 feet above sea level, and should be pretty scenic running down the island. The time limit is also a very generous 15 hours (18 min/mile). One of the additional things that attracted me to it is the fact that it's a road course vs most of the ultras I've run across that have been trails.

That sounds intriguing. I liked the OBX full.

QOTD: When you started running, how did you plan our your running routes at first? Did that method change as your runs got longer?

ATTQOTD: At first I just ran my little neighborhood loop which turned out to be 1.75 miles and my sister showed me the basic 4 and 5 mile loops around the LSU lakes. Once I started having midweek runs over 7 and weekend long runs over 10 I ran with a group or created a route on mapmyrun.com. I would also reference existing routes to get ideas of places to run.

Is anyone going to try and Hang with Meb's pace group at Shamrock. I've heard he's pacing the 1:30 pace group. I'm tempted to sign up and just see how long I can hang with that group.

I'm going to Shamrock, but no way I can hang anywhere close to that group. My goal is under 4:15 (full).

QOTD: When you started running, how did you plan our your running routes at first? Did that method change as your runs got longer?
I didn’t plan them.

No, not really.

I’ve always run in and around my neighborhood no matter what type of run. It’s what works for me as a sense of security and in case I need things like a bathroom or fuel.

ATTQOTD: I also do neighborhood loops which get interesting once I’m doing really long runs. When I started running though, it was all treadmill because I needed the childcare.

It was pretty easy for me as I started running at work on my lunch hour and we have a track. 2km loop. 2km loop x2. 2km loop x3. 2km loop x3 + hop the fence when my time is up.
As it got too hot for me to run at lunch, I had to find a place to run before work, which limited me to near my house or on the way to work.
Longer runs are a harder thing for me as I am not at all comfortable just winging it and taking a turn into a new, unknown path. I tended to run from city park with a drinking fountain to the next, where I was familiar with the area, and am limited to the 5-6 mile range.

ATTQOTD: Didn't really plan them at first. Did the neighborhood loops and saw what distance they were. Starting adding on to them to add distance, and now have a pretty set route, based on how many miles I want/need to do. I have used mapmyrun when traveling to other places to see how I can get mileage. I also have used Strava Heatmaps to find areas that are highly used if I don't know the area very well that I am traveling to.

ATTQOTD: When I first moved to my current neighborhood, my son was an infant and we went for long walks with the jogging stroller, so I got to know the area well and started by running around it when I first started distance training. Beyond that, I just started exploring on the fly, trying new-to-me roads and parks. I still do that, though there are a lot fewer roads I don't know nowadays! There are spots from which I know the distance home - 2 miles from park entrance A, 1.5 miles from park entrance B, 5 miles to the Gulf of MX, etc. - so I can circle around, try new roads and trails, and usually manage to be where I need to be to get home within a half mile of my planned distance.

No planning at all. I went out and ran, ususally an out-and-back to make sure I got my time or mileage right. Since then, I use my daily runs as ways to explore my surrounding area, though I will plan long runs to make sure there are adequate water stops along the way.

ATTQOTD: If my run is 5 miles or shorter, I run on a path by my house. If it is 6-9 miles, I drive down to our local park and run from the park, across our bridge, to the island path we have and then back again. Anything longer than that requires me to map out a route that starts at my house and usually ends at a place with food and booze. I hate doing loops, it gets so boring.

And in other news, the Navy Air Force Half Marathon that I was going to do last fall but I deferred it due to the hurricane got cancelled indefinitely. I should have just done it last year because I REALLY liked that medal. Dang it. So I guess I need to plan a new fall Half or Full for 2019. Looks like Wine and Dine is becoming more and more a yes. Haha.

Accidentally posted in 2018 thread. So cross posting here.

I don't want to be accused of enabling, so I will just share my joy with you that my shoes are on sale today for $65 (Brooks Launch on the Brooks site.) And right when I needed my next pair!

ATTQOTD: When I first started C25k my town had just finished up a 5k and the course was marked by ribbons on the trees. I basically kept running that route until the ribbons were gone and I had it memorized. Now I am more exploratory. Helps that my area is like one big grid where each major street is a mile from the next major street. And the blocks are basically uniform.

I don't want to be accused of enabling, so I will just share my joy with you that my shoes are on sale today for $65 (Brooks Launch on the Brooks site.) And right when I needed my next pair!
My husband bought me a pair of Launch 6's for Christmas and I bought a third pair of the tie dyed ones in November. BUT HOW DO I EVEN STOP MYSELF RIGHT NOW ROXY. HOW.

ATTQOTD: My routes have normally been around my neighborhood. For longer runs I'd map out a route on Garmin. I usually just do loops around the neighborhood. I have a creative one that logs in around 3.35 miles for one loop. One loop around the main road of my neighborhood is exactly 1 mile so sometimes I'll just do that. I get bored doing the neighborhood loops and sometimes it makes the run drag on forever, but it's what I have to work with when DH is traveling for work. When DH isn't traveling I'll leave the neighborhood and venture out around town. I have my routes saved in Garmin Connect for certain distances. I finally checked out our county's bike/walking/running path. Not sure why I waited so long. They are gorgeous. There's an entrance to the path two miles from my house so I'll use that more for long runs.

ATTQOTD: When I started I just ran the neighborhoods around me, which I Depending on the route can get to a 5 mile run. So if my runs are going to be that distance or less it’s still what I run. When I started needing to go on further runs I took the short drive down to the Schuylkill River Trail.

I don’t really map out neither does my husband - we just go around the streets by our home which are a bunch of dead end mile long branches off of a main road

There is also a large county park about 3 or 4 miles down the road that my husband uses for his really long runs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter