The Running Thread - 2019

Short Term: Run WDW half next week and then transition back to training for March 9 Parris Island Tri.

Long Term: Decide on a fall plan. My plan for fall 2018 fell apart due to work obligations and hurricane scares/evacuations. Two general paths. First with a focus on the Ironman 70.3 in Wilmington, NC in October. Second to focus on the Philly half marathon. I guess that both are possible so we will see.

Other goals: Continue swim improvement. Run sub 20 minute 5k. Improve my attitude - more enjoyment, less intensity.

@LSUlakes , please add:
1/11 - QueenFernando - WDW 10k (na)
1/19 - QueenFernando - Park Avenue 5k (na)
2/9 - QueenFernando - Run 4 Love 4mile (na)
2/22 - QueenFernando - Princess 5k
2/23 - QueenFernando - Princess 10k
2/24 - QueenFernando - Princess Half
3/23 - QueenFernando - Winter Park 2mi + 10k challenge (1:14 for the 10k)
4/7 - QueenFernando - Star Wars Half
4/27 - QueenFernando - Run for the Trees 5k

Short term goals: pick a good strength training workout to add to my schedule.

Long term: keep improving my running without injury. I'd like to do more half marathons outside of Disney. I absolutely love the Disney races and won't quit running them, but I generally don't run them for time. Adding some outside Disney will allow me to improve my PRs. And, get some POTs for better corral placement. :)

ATTQOTD:
Overall goal: stay healthy and consistent.
Short term goal: Survive Marathon Weekend FOMO.
I'm still thinking about other goals. I'm contemplating PRs at 3 (4 if I do a 10 miler) non-marathon distances. I haven't decided if I'm done with marathons or not. If I'm not done, the obvious next goal is a big one.
I thought about setting month/year mileage goals, but am backing off that.
Non running goals: Lose the 8 pounds I put on this year. Stick with yoga.

Long term - learn to bike better and swim better leading up to my first beginner triathlon. There are a few indoor ones for practice I'd like to tackle as well. Also I have to buy a bike.

Well, that does kind of help with the swim-bike-run thing :)

ATTQOTD:
Short Term - Complete Goofy next week and make a final determination on whether I'm going to attempt the 50 miler in February. I'm leaning towards doing it, but want to see how I feel after Goofy before committing.

Do it! You're in good shape for it, especially if you use Goofy as fully supported training runs.

Long Term - I'm struggling a little with what I want to do with 2019. Usually I have a race calendar set by this point that drives things, but not this year. I was 0/3 (Tokyo, London, Berlin) on the world major marathon lotteries and I was really hoping to have at least one of those to provide a focal point. I'm still dealing with the disappointment of not getting close to my 4:00 goal in Chicago and am debating whether to take one more shot at that goal or just drop back and run for pure enjoyment without any pacing targets. I tend to be very goal- and plan-driven, so right now I feel a bit rudderless.

I'd be happy to run a 4-hour full with you some time. :)

Last edited:
ATTQOTD:
Long Term - I'm struggling a little with what I want to do with 2019. Usually I have a race calendar set by this point that drives things, but not this year. I was 0/3 (Tokyo, London, Berlin) on the world major marathon lotteries and I was really hoping to have at least one of those to provide a focal point. I'm still dealing with the disappointment of not getting close to my 4:00 goal in Chicago and am debating whether to take one more shot at that goal or just drop back and run for pure enjoyment without any pacing targets. I tend to be very goal- and plan-driven, so right now I feel a bit rudderless.

I know how you feel. I don't race very much, BUT I always have a plan that I'm following. And running just for running, as opposed to racing, is a skill I have yet to master.

I hope you find something to keep you motivated for this year.

ATTQOTD:

Short term goals - Stay focused and committed to running, cross-training, and being healthy. If I'm lucky maybe pick up a PR or two during my spring races. More trail running.

Long term goals - I'm hoping to beat Oprah's marathon time (4:29:20) at the Chicago Marathon this fall.

@LSUlakes - Please remove my Jan 5th race - it sold out before I was able to sign up. Please add the following races:

Feb 2 - michigandergirl - Grounghog Half Marathon - NG
Mar 2 - michigandergirl - Winter Trail Fest 5 Miler - NG
Apr 5 - michigandergirl - Star Wars Rival Run 5K - NG
Apr 6 - michigandergirl - Star Wars Rival Run 10K - NG
Apr 7 - michigandergirl - Star Wars Rival Run Half - NG
Apr 14 - michigandergirl - Gazelle Girl Half Marathon - 2:04:59
Apr 27 - michigandergirl - Hurt the Dirt 1/4 marathon - NG
May 11 - michigandergirl - Amway River Bank Run 25K - 2:33:00
Aug 24 - michigandergirl - North Country Trail Half Marathon - NG
Oct 13 - michigandergirl - Bank of America Chicago Marathon - 4:29:19

Thank you!

ATTQOTD:
Short term goal- break 4 hours in the marathon (March). I feel like I’m struggling right now, so I’m not sure this will happen, but I will try my best.
Long term goal- figure out what I want to do the rest of the year; ‘easier’ training/more races for fun or more goal centered/time based training/races...
Also, I would like to pace a race at some point.

@LSUlakes
Please add thes races for me. Thank you so much!!

February
03 - MissLiss279 - Super Bowl 4-miler (35:11 / N/A)

March
24 - MissLiss279 - Chisholm Trail Marathon (3:59:59 / N/A)

April
05 - MissLiss279 - Star Wars Rival Run 5k (NG / N/A)
06 - MissLiss279 - Star Wars Rival Run 10k (NG / N/A)
07 - MissLiss279 - Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

November
24 - MissLiss279 - Route 66 Marathon (NG / N/A)

Last edited:
@LSUlakes

can you put me down for:

Jan 12 - WDW Half (2:20)
Jan 27 - Celebration Town Half (2:15)
Feb 23 - Princess 10k (NG)
Feb 24 - Princess Half (2:17)
April 6 - Star Wars Rivals 10K (NG)
April 7 - Star Wars Rivals Half (2:15)

Happy New Year friends! Thanks @LSUlakes for keeping this thread going! Always inspired by all the greatness in this group! :)

Short term goals for the year are:
1. Finish Dopey happy and healthy!
2. Plan out race schedule for 2019 (still working on that).

Long term goals for the year are:
1. Run 1000 miles in 2019
2. Achieve these PRs:
o 5k (25:59)
o 10k (59:59)
o HM (1:59:59)
o Marathon (4:29:59)
3. Do a Triathlon
4. Run more races with friends
5. Check off Half Marathons in 2 more states
6. Run two Marathons……

ATTQOTD:
Overall goal: stay healthy and consistent.
Short term goal: Survive Marathon Weekend FOMO.
I'm still thinking about other goals. I'm contemplating PRs at 3 (4 if I do a 10 miler) non-marathon distances. I haven't decided if I'm done with marathons or not. If I'm not done, the obvious next goal is a big one.
I thought about setting month/year mileage goals, but am backing off that.
Non running goals: Lose the 8 pounds I put on this year. Stick with yoga.

I know what 10 miler to do :) its a dis meet in atlanta!!

QOTD: What are your short term and long term running goals for 2019?

Short Term is to survive Marathon Weekend without an injury. I've been pushing a little harder than I probably should have after being down from my heel injury, so we'll see how this all shakes out.

Long Term? 2019 is the year of the 70.3! I'm registered for two already as part of a relay (first one - I'm just doing the swim, second one - I'm doing swim and bike) ... hopefully they will be good confidence builders and dress rehearsals for putting the whole thing together for a late fall IM 70.3!

Other than that, long-term goals just involve staying healthy, finding a competitive edge to push my training (2018 took a lot out of me mentally, emotionally and physically so working out and training was more of just going through the motions and giving myself SOMETHING to do rather than as a plan or strategy for improvement) and trying new races in fun places with friends! I bought the RnR Tour Pass and am planning a few race-cations around that to places I've either never been or really enjoy and need an excuse to go to (Vegas, I'm looking at you pal).

Short Term - Finish Goofy
Long Term - I think I know what Fall marathon I'll do and keep it local, but the time goal is all dependent on what happens at Goofy's marathon. I want to do Wine & Dine too as I haven't done it since 2016.

I totally hear you on disappointment of not getting under 4:00. I was very close in Sept. and had given up in the heat so kicking myself now and what I know I could have, but am going to give it a shot at marathon weekend. I may blow up since the half the day before, but figure might as well try and see what happens. I don't do many races though a year to keep it enjoyable for sure.

Please add:

1/5/19 Red nose Half Marathon (NG/NA)
1/27/19 Celebration Marathon (NG/NA)
2/9/19 Cloudland Canyon 50K (6:59/ NA)'
2/17/19 Hot Chocolate 15K (NG)
Princess (all races)
3/2/19 Myrtle Beach Full (4:10/NA)
3/8/19 Yeti Nightmare 5 miler night trail race (NG/NA)
3/9/19 Yeti Nightmare 10 miler night trail race (NG/NA)
3/16/19 Yuengling Shamrock 8K (NG/NA)
3/17/19 Yuengling Shamrock Marathon (NG/NA)
3/30/19 Run The Bluegrass Half (NG)
Star Wars (all races)
5/4/19 Indy Mini - my birthday weekend (NG/NA)
5/5/19 Flying Pig Marathon (NG)
5/10 - 5/11 - Ragnar Cape Cod (NG)
5/18/19 Mountain To Mainstreet (NG)
6/9/19 Hotlanta Half (NG)
6/22/19 Grandma's Marathon(4:00)

Whew. I'll add the rest of the spring later

Short term goal - Complete Goofy and have fun doing it

Long term - I don’t know yet! Shooting to keep running 1000 miles for the year but unsure of how many races I want to do or what goal I have for them yet.

@LSUlakes, here are my races I have scheduled so far and thank you for being willing to keep this thread going another year!

3/8 - Baxter24 - wrightsville marathon madness glow 5k - NG
3/9 - Baxter24 - wrightsville half marathon - 2:09 or less
4/6 - Baxter24 - Star Wars rival run 10k - NG
4/7 - Baxter24- Star Wars rival half - NG

Please add:

1/5/19 Red nose Half Marathon (NG/NA)
1/27/19 Celebration Marathon (NG/NA)
2/9/19 Cloudland Canyon 50K (6:59/ NA)'
2/17/19 Hot Chocolate 15K (NG)
Princess (all races)
3/2/19 Myrtle Beach Full (4:10/NA)
3/8/19 Yeti Nightmare 5 miler night trail race (NG/NA)
3/9/19 Yeti Nightmare 10 miler night trail race (NG/NA)
3/16/19 Yuengling Shamrock 8K (NG/NA)
3/17/19 Yuengling Shamrock Marathon (NG/NA)
3/30/19 Run The Bluegrass Half (NG)
Star Wars (all races)
5/4/19 Indy Mini - my birthday weekend (NG/NA)
5/5/19 Flying Pig Marathon (NG)
5/10 - 5/11 - Ragnar Cape Cod (NG)
5/18/19 Mountain To Mainstreet (NG)
6/9/19 Hotlanta Half (NG)
6/22/19 Grandma's Marathon(4:00)

Whew. I'll add the rest of the spring later

You'll be at Red Nose?!?!? We HAVE to meet up! I was wanting to do the Indy Mini and Flying Pig weekend too, but not sure it is going to work out. Your race schedule is goals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter