The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I strength train 3x/week. I do a bit of everything, from core to body-weight to free-weights. I do it twice a week on my own and meet with a trainer once a week. I also try to make it to yoga twice a week, but thta can be pretty hit or miss. I think I've made it once in the last three weeks.

@LSUlakes I have a bunch of races coming up. Getting ready for Dopey 2020; doing a mini 4 races in 4 days (including 2 in 1 day) thing at the end of April. Please add:

6 - April - KevM - Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K (NG/NA)
13 - April - KevM - Cherry Blossom 10K (finish under 1hr/NA)
20 - April - KevM - Philly Rabbit Run 5K (NG/NA)
25 - April - KevM - Fort Washington Rush Hour Run 5 Miler (46:15/NA)
27 - April - KevM - Sandy Sprint 10K (NG/NA)
27 - April - KevM - Conshy 5K (NG/NA)
28 - April - KevM - Valley Forge Revolutionary 5 Miler (NG/NA)

5 - May - KevM - Broad Street Run (1:29:59/NA)
11 - May - KevM - Gino's Jog 10K (NG/NA)

Question - maybe for @DopeyBadger - and I am truly asking for a friend lol. My friend is signing up for the 2020 Disney marathon. It is his first marathon ever. He is strictly a walker. However, he is a bit unique because he walks at just under a 12 minute per mile pace. It is really insane as I went out walking with him once and had to jog to keep up with him. He also said he can't run at all due to his bad back. And that he has to walk at least 3-4 miles every day. If he doesn't, his back stiffens up later in the day. So, I want to give him advice about training but I am not sure if the same principles of run training apply to walking. His longest walk to date has been about 7 miles. So he knows he has to train to be ready for 26. Any advice how to approach training? Is it the same as running?

Hal Higdon has a walking plan for half marathons. I've (mostly) used it -- lots of same principles apply as far as gradually increasing mileage. I don't know if he has a walking marathon plan, but might be worth looking into.

In personal news, I may have found a triathlon to sign up for...now, just to find the guts (and $$$) to pull the trigger on registering...

ATTQOTD strength training: I used to go to the gym but when I started really running I stopped just because I preferred being outside. Then, I stopped the gym membership to save money to pay for Dopey 2020. Well, I haven’t been consistent with my strength training and flex routines at home and I can see that it has a negative impact on my running so...

Resolution:
- Balance training while brushing my teeth
- Montly massage therapy coupled with 10 minutes of stretching daily
- Squeeze the core everytime I think of it
- Do one Nike Training Club routine twice or three times a week, preferably after short DD training run.

I like @run.minnie.miles answer about it being like Kale...

March:
51 miles, farther than I have been since October, so while I think I could have squeezed in a few more I am quite happy
It was the first time my average pace has been less than 12 minutes so I was pretty happy about that.
April is starting slow due to business travel, but since I am near the happiest place on earth, I am ditching conference talks to go out for a run tomorrow, and may go for shorter distance at OKW vs longer at my hotel. Some miles are better than zero miles, but some miles at WDW are even better!

ATTQOTD:
I was doing a bit of strength training mid-winter when I would go to the Y to use the treadmill. I can't bring myself to do much with the free weights at home so it has been lacking now that it is pleasant to run outside again. I am pretty geeked by @flav 's idea of balance work while brushing teeth!

ATTQOTD: No strength training, but this summer I plan on working that in, especially as my mileage drops with the heat. Probably primarily body weight exercise.

@dis_or_dat Way to go! I have similar aspirations when I run my first marathon (BQ), and for similar reasons! Will definitely be using your story as an inspiration!

I am happy to report that I took 5 minutes off my BQ gap today, and all I had to do is wake up! Too bad it will be 5 more years before I get to do this again!

March Totals - a bit late, we were at universal this weekend.

Distance: 179.8 miles - New PR by 70 miles! (will probably remain my PR for a while, at least until I start marathon training)
Pace: 8:00 /mi average - Slower, but thats ok, between mileage increase, and running with my daughter, it was worth it.

@LSUlakes can you please add a race to the schedule for me?

14 - April - camaker - Raleigh Half Marathon (<2:00/NA)

I need a new proof of time for next year's Marathon Weekend, or I'll drop back a corral. Unfortunately, I haven't really "raced" a race since the Chicago Marathon last year and all my training has been focused on long, slow running to be ready to complete the ultras that I ran. I highly doubt I'll be able to hit the sub-2:00 goal for this race as a result, but I'll throw that out there anyway. Really, I'm looking at this race to benchmark where I'm at speed-wise right now and give me an idea of how much improvement I need to get that PoT in a fall half marathon.

On another note, I just came across another race at the end of April that sounds like fun and I'm considering. It's called the Cary du Classic and it consists of a 5k run followed by a 30k bike ride followed by another 5k run to finish. Seems like it'd be an interesting change of pace. Almost like a triathlon without that pesky risk of drowning.

QOTD: What to do with kids when racing? sitters, leave 'em home, etc.?

ATTQOTD: It really all depends for us. If its a big race for me like a marathon or a PR effort, then they will come out to support me. If its a training race or for fun race, then it will depend on whats going on that particular day... Things like weather, other activities for the kids, ect are all considered.

QOTD: What to do with kids when racing? sitters, leave 'em home, etc.?
ATTQOTD: My teen has zero interest in my races so he stays home. He's coming along with me for SW race weekend, only because we want a little visit to WDW and I can't afford two separate trips, but he'll be sleeping at our resort while I race. When he was a pre-teen, he ran a few 5Ks with me and stayed home when I did races alone. Prior to that, I wasn't doing any races.

ATTQOTD: My husband and I were just having this discussion this morning with a local 5k that we are running Saturday morning! Bay is only 7, so we can't leave her at home yet, so we are trying to find a sitter for her for this one. Unless she is running with us, she usually doesn't come with. IDK why no one wants to come wait around at the race with her while we run. LOL.

On that note, @LSUlakes can you add the race I am doing on Saturday, please?

6 - jennamfeo - Impact 5k (NG/N/A)

ATTQOTD: I mostly run alone so the kids 13 and 11 y.o. stay home with DH... That stopped working when I ranDisney solo in 2017... The youngest said, never again and started running. So, we do 5ks together and she is coming to MW 2020. Since I will do Dopey, I need someone to take care of her the mornings of the Half and Full. So my mom is coming. And then my uncle is joining too. And DH probably as well which means that oldest DD might also make the trip... Who knows which other cousins might jump in... Right now, there are more sitters and supporters than runners:rotfl2:

ATTQOTD: Whether it’s a local race or not, my kids usually just stay at home with my husband. To us, it’s not worth the stress of dealing with the logistics and crowds just to see me run by once and/or see me finish. I would love to see them all at the finish but I recognize that’s it’s just not that easy to accomplish right now.

Yesterday’s QOTD: No I don’t but I really need to.

March miles: 70
I was sick for a week and wasn’t able to do my last back to back long runs for Star Wars this weekend but looking forward to the races!

ATTQOTD: My child has 4 legs. As much as I would love to take him to spectate or run when allowed, he hates people (yes, I socialized him but he’s extremely introverted and anxious) and he hates running over a mile. If we’re going to be gone all day, my sister will drop by to let him out and play with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter