• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

September Totals
52 miles
12:40 minutes/mile

It is still shorter and slower than I had hoped (I was targeting 60 miles and less than 12m/m), but better than last month! I thought I would add two new states run in, but I am not sure the treadmill counts so maybe only one. My RHR has fallen which I think is as much exercise as figuring out how to get an appropriate for me quantity of sleep, so I am hopeful October continues a positive trend. I am a bit apprehensive as there is an increasing need to travel for work and that makes everything more complicated. Regardless, I think I am still on track for a Disney PR at Wine & Dine, even if it is not a distance PR.

Last edited:
September Totals

Running: 114.9 miles
average pace: 11:34 min/mi
total time: 22.16 h

This is almost twice as many miles as I ran in both August and July, due to a vacation and a taper then a ramp-up. I am in full swing of marathon training for Dec. 1 now.

Tennis: 14 h

This is twice my tennis in August, as well, since I didn't have vacations and our fall leagues are starting up.

September has come and gone. Alas, the heat of summer has not passed quietly along with it. We set new record highs several days last week and are forecast to potentially set more in the coming week. I know it won't be long before I'm complaining about how cold it is, but this summer has been miserable! Despite all that, I completed all but one of my training runs for the month, with Dorian washing out the outlier. One of the downsides of running 5 days/week is that it isn't easy to reshuffle the schedule to make up runs when one is unexpectedly missed on short notice. Ah, well, onto the September numbers:

September Totals
Running: 145.23 miles (2nd highest monthly total in 2019)
Average Pace: 0:10:32/mile
Average HR: 153 bpm
Total Time: 25:34:56

So far I have to say that I'm pleased with how well my legs have recovered from the increased pacing on the current plan. I'm about halfway through Space Coast training and next month is scheduled to be a staggering, volume record-shattering 185 miles. I've never been anywhere near that volume in a month, so it will be very interesting to see if these old(er) legs continue to hold up to the pounding. Fingers crossed!

September totals:
Mileage: 69.7
Avg pace: 12:05

So over the heat. A sick kid and a kid having some behavior issues at school equaled a few set backs but I’m finally back into the groove. Super excited for W&D and just signed up for a 5k at the kids’ school the weekend before it. Let’s just hope the heat has broken by then.

September Training Summary

Running duration = 17:45 hours
Running mileage = 131 miles
Average Pace = 8:08 min/mile (about 19% slower than estimated LT pace)
Average HR = 138 (70.6% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 29:22 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 473.5 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 170 watts (66% FTP)
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 187 watts (73% FTP)
80 Day Obsession = 10:42 hours
Total Training Time = 57:50 hours

Lots of training PRs this month.
-Most training in a week (17:47 hours)
-Most TSS in a week (875 TSS)
-Most TSS in a single training day (249 TSS). To put that in perspective, my marathon races TSS have been 280, 269, 243, and 239 with reliable HR data.
-Most time spent working out in a single day (4.75 hr indoor cycle ride + 40 min run).
-Longest indoor cycling ride (4.75 hr)
-Second fastest official HM (1:34:57). I do have a HM split in a M that came in at 1:33.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with how September went. I just wrapped up the Base Phase (first 12 weeks + 1 week run-in) of my High Volume Ironman TrainerRoad training plan. I was able to complete all 137 workouts in that 13-week timeframe without missing or skipping a single one. It took some 3am wake-up calls and some workouts that had only a small amount of time between them, but I got it done. I also had my Ramp Test (FTP Cycling assessment) last week and improved my FTP from 238 to 257 during this 12 week period (an increase of roughly 7-10% based on evaluation method). Now I'm moving into the Build phase where the focus shifts from indoor cycling to running performance. So I'm excited to see what I can do now that the T+D is dropping and I'm actually doing run focused workouts. Based on my current Garmin VO2max (57), I'm about 6-7 weeks ahead of where I was in running ability compared to Dopey 2018, and my absolute VO2max (4.42) is tied for the highest I've ever personally recorded. Still working hard for that sub-3 and hopeful BQ.

Well Berlin was a cold freezing mess. And I'm not particularly happy with their race relations. After the whole fiasco with the cane/sticks guess what I saw 31k in? A runner with a cane. Apparently security didn't say a peep to him. And it left me wondering if I should have just kept my mouth shut and tried to bring it in the morning of since I honestly don't think security cared it was just runners relations being a pain and not actually talking with their security people it feels like. I'm probably less happy since I had an episode start around the 30k mark and by the 41k I knew if the race had been longer then it was not having my support would probably have screwed me over. I'm not even sure what I'll do for Tokyo at this point. Part of me is pretty sure they won't clear me either which leaves me back with option B the medical corral bump.

I did finish at least. The rain sapped most of my energy leading to a 7 hour finish but I finished. And got my medal.

Anyways enough me complaining about Berlin. I got other news...

I've spent the last week chewing my lip as I saw more and more runners get their Boston confirmations. While Boston took its sweet time with the AWD applications (I understand why for the record but it doesn't help the nerves).

After I got back from dinner I recieved a message from another AWD (a wheelie) who had similar paperwork to mine even with us being different divisions of AWD. She had just gotten her confirmation of acceptance from Boston. Which lead me to straight start digging, couldn't find it at first. And then I switched to my junk mail and started scanning a bit past the first two emails and there it was: B.A.A. Registration 2020 Boston Marathon Confirmation of Acceptance.

I've spent the past hour alternating between heavy crying and shaking. Despite knowing there was a chance and my trainer thinking in spite of some wording on the paperwork that had me chewing on my lip in worry that I would get in I hadn't been so confident for the past 5 1/2 months. The amount of times I've said to my parents the words 'I am in if my paperwork doesn't have any problems' has been uttered so many times I lost track.

I am still in shock. I have to find a way to calm down so I can do some classwork but I don't think I'm coming down for another couple of hours. I'm going to Boston. This is actually happening.

Years ago I had a small running Tumblr that I ended up deactivating because I never posted to the darn thing. I bring this up since my subheader for it was basically 'The Unlikey Road to Boston'. Back when I first made the blog at either 24 or 25 if you had told me just how unlikely the road to Boston would be (because this sure wasn't what I meant by that, it was more pertaining to my weight loss) I wouldn't have believed you. And yet here I am.

Different note Mom's not answering her phone again (more then likey she just doesn't want to go grab it, this happens on occasion) and Dad's still at work and I'm just a bit disappointed since I wanted to share my excitement while it was still fresh.

And just like that September is over! The month flew by!!! I only missed one run this month, but I’m giving myself a break on that. I have had A LOT on my plate - renovating our new house with issues popping up left and right, prepping my current house for sale and finally getting it on the market as of last Thursday, being sick with a stomach bug, dealing with some other health issues, part-time home schooling, sports, horses and some family drama. Our anniversary was on the 14th and we still have not had a free moment to go out for a celebration dinner!!!

September 2019
125.7 miles
10:57 average pace

Other accomplishments this month are deadlifting 170lbs for 1 set of 5 reps and squatting 135lbs for 1 set of 5 reps. It’s a personal best for the deadlift and I haven’t squatted 135lbs since 2015.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter