The Running Thread - 2019

September 2019
Miles: 183.56
Time: 33:39:14
Average Pace: 11:00

This is a record month for me as far as total miles goes. I'm proud of myself for sticking to my plan while trying to train for a marathon only 13 weeks after ankle surgery and with about 7.5 weeks of training. This Sunday, 10/6, is the Twin Cities Marathon and we'll see how it goes. As long as I don't come down with a stomach bug this week it is bound to be better than my 2017 WDW Marathon. My goal of sub 4 hours is out of the question, but I have a goal with staying out of my head and running the entire distance, something I struggle with no matter the race distance.

After I got back from dinner I recieved a message from another AWD (a wheelie) who had similar paperwork to mine even with us being different divisions of AWD. She had just gotten her confirmation of acceptance from Boston. Which lead me to straight start digging, couldn't find it at first. And then I switched to my junk mail and started scanning a bit past the first two emails and there it was: B.A.A. Registration 2020 Boston Marathon Confirmation of Acceptance.
Congratulations. That's great news.

September miles = 126.

Higdon Dopey training plan started this month. No runs missed. This year, I am following the plan more closely. Last year I ran extra miles early when the plan called for shorter runs which burned me out. I am also doing more cross training and I am continuing with the increased strength training I started earlier this summer. I changed my diet and started building muscle mainly to burn off the extra weight I added by eating so much in last years training. But shhhh...confidentially, between us, I really did it to look good in the Under Armour Captain America compression shirt I am planning to wear for the marathon. lol 😂. Of course, by time I get to those high mile long runs in December, I am sure I will have burned off all the muscle and I’ll look more like Steve Rogers pre serum than post. All kidding side, I dropped 15 pounds even after adding muscle weight and I feel like I am in the best shape I’ve been in for the last 10 years.

August = 150
July = 154
June = 138
May = 150
April = 115
March = 140
February = 122
January = 123

1,218 total miles so far in 2019.

September: 37.73 miles

Positives. PT is happy with my progress: slow, steady and while I am actually trying to live my life. Completed a 5k earlier in the month with permission of the PT. House is under contract so I am starting to pack.

Slight frustrations. Still limited to 30 minutes of active walking a day, which is resulting in self doubt regarding regarding distance training in the future. Had a nerve block injection a few weeks ago since I am still having an issue and it didn’t solve the issue it was supposed to. Have 23 days to pretty much solo pack a 3,000 sq ft house.

September Totals:
Total Miles - 163.31 miles
Total Time - 23:29:31
Average Pace - 8.37/mi
Avg HR - 142

I am still sick of the heat and humidity! I don't think summer is ever going to end. A nice increase in milage, but not sure I am ready for my races in the next month.

Guys -- Alberto Salazar banned for 4 years for orchestrating doping violations

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a29312870/alberto-salazar-doping-ban/
Anybody have opinions on this? What does this mean for the athletes, like Rupp & Hasay, that still run for him?

It’s about damn time. He and his athletes have been skirting the doping rules for years. I’m glad he is finally getting punished. For his athletes, I predict two things. One, a cloud over their heads and asterisks next to their performances, and two, a sudden and rapid decline in the number of asthma cases.

Congrats @StarGirl11 - thanks for sharing your amazing news!!!!! party:

Guys -- Alberto Salazar banned for 4 years for orchestrating doping violations

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a29312870/alberto-salazar-doping-ban/
Anybody have opinions on this? What does this mean for the athletes, like Rupp & Hasay, that still run for him?

I've heard so many rumblings about Salazar though never looked directly at all the suspicious claims - time for a propublica/bbc deep dive it seems! It's good he's being held to account.

September miles 83.5
Average pace 10’33”/mile

This month will bring triple digits, then it’s W&D and really start adding the miles on through the end of the year

Just catching up after a few days, great job on all the races, and congrats to all the Boston qualifiers!

September miles: 79.7 (highest since January!)

I had some heel tweaking early this month and was worried about plantar fasciitis. I did lots of stretching, ball rolling, arnicare gel, and feeling much better!

October is all about hydration, stretching, and strength!

Now to represent those who are slow, but still out there:

September
120.04 miles
29.35 hours
13:40 pace

This includes 17 miles hiking the AT approach and some slow miles nursing a sore leg, so it is actually almost 2 mpm slower than usual. Training slower to run faster!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter