The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD:
I really like my Orange Mud HydraQuivers. I have both a single bottle version and a two (double) bottle version. I usually use the single bottle version for halves or fulls, because I want to make sure I have water when I want it. It usually supplements aid stations. If I were trying to go self supported without stopping, I would probably go with the double. If it were hot, two bottles (22oz ea) would not be enough for me though.
Also, for the past when I have had group training runs, I would use the single bottle for any distance because I would have opportunities to refill. Anything longer than 90 minutes where I need to self support on training runs, I go with the double.
I also recently got Orange Mud’s Gear Vest Pro for a 50k I ran this spring. It came with a 1L bladder and then I added on a 600mL soft flask for a front pocket. I thought I may need to carry a few extra supplies than either of my HydraQuivers could hold. I like this one as well.
There are lots of good options out there!

On another note, I have one race that I run that does not allow over the shoulder packs. I hate this! I get it, but my HydraQuiver does not hold anything more than a waist pack can hold so it drives me crazy. I have bought a cheap waist belt off Amazon that holds one of my insulated water bottles. So maybe check with some races to see what they have allowed and haven’t allowed. Maybe it will change to allow more options due to the current situation???
Heyyy, HydraQuiver twins! I bought the two bottle version fairly recently so I'd have the same flexibility--it's also nice to have on long walks with my dog since that way I can put electrolyte mix in one for me and plain water in the other for the dog. On the whole I really like the Hydraquivers because it keeps everything contained very neatly and I don't really feel the weight of the water. I've used my single bottle HydraQuiver to supplement aid stations in races, too.

But...I'm also keeping an eye on the answers here because the costume I've planned for the WDW Marathon won't work with an over-the-shoulder pack and I'm concerned about whether I'll want to carry my own water or if the aid stations will be enough (as I get closer I'm going to find out the aid station points and try training to only take water at those points in the run--but I've always been the type to get quite thirsty on a run). Once again, the issue arises that I'm just plain large; when I was shopping for belts before I hit on the HydraQuiver solution I repeatedly ran into the issue that a lot of models just plain don't come in my size. I'm heavy and pear-shaped, not a good combo for belts.

ATYQOTD: Time! I might run a small laid back local race now, if there was plenty of room to roam about before the start. For something large like a Disney race, though, just some more time. The family is all signed up for Wine and Dine, and my Mom is set to walk the 5k. (She's 73.) No idea what the situation is going to be in November, though. I'm not as concerned about the outside as I am the expo.

ATTQOTD: Can't do the belt. When I have to carry, I'll use a pack, and my old Nathan air something still works great. I'm very intrigued by USWE's running packs, though. They make a big deal about not bouncing, but who knows how steady they really are.

Last edited:
Heyyy, HydraQuiver twins! I bought the two bottle version fairly recently so I'd have the same flexibility--it's also nice to have on long walks with my dog since that way I can put electrolyte mix in one for me and plain water in the other for the dog. On the whole I really like the Hydraquivers because it keeps everything contained very neatly and I don't really feel the weight of the water. I've used my single bottle HydraQuiver to supplement aid stations in races, too.

But...I'm also keeping an eye on the answers here because the costume I've planned for the WDW Marathon won't work with an over-the-shoulder pack and I'm concerned about whether I'll want to carry my own water or if the aid stations will be enough (as I get closer I'm going to find out the aid station points and try training to only take water at those points in the run--but I've always been the type to get quite thirsty on a run). Once again, the issue arises that I'm just plain large; when I was shopping for belts before I hit on the HydraQuiver solution I repeatedly ran into the issue that a lot of models just plain don't come in my size. I'm heavy and pear-shaped, not a good combo for belts.
RunDisney usually has a lot of aid stations and is usually fine for most people. However, if it is really hot - like this past January - they may not be often enough. You never know what January weather in Florida will give you. :) For Star Wars weekends, I think they usually have more aid stations than the Marathon Weekend Half, because they know it will be hot.

I usually take nutrition based on time, and I don't want to have to wait until I get close to an aid station to take my fuel - hence, why I always bring my own water. Plus, I think I usually drink more water than most people. :)

RunDisney usually has a lot of aid stations and is usually fine for most people. However, if it is really hot - like this past January - they may not be often enough. You never know what January weather in Florida will give you. :) For Star Wars weekends, I think they usually have more aid stations than the Marathon Weekend Half, because they know it will be hot.

I usually take nutrition based on time, and I don't want to have to wait until I get close to an aid station to take my fuel - hence, why I always bring my own water. Plus, I think I usually drink more water than most people. :)
On a casual google search I'm seeing people say there's an aid station about every 1.5 miles--I think I might be able to make that work without carrying my own. Just for curiosity's sake I paced myself to only drink once per mile on today's run and it worked alright. I get the concern about fuel, though...I'm still working out what works for me in that arena.

I've also got to take into account the need for electrolytes since my corn intolerance means I can't drink the Powerade they offer at some of the aid stations; I've been hoping I can get my electrolytes from my fuel but that's a whole can of research worms all its own.

On a casual google search I'm seeing people say there's an aid station about every 1.5 miles--I think I might be able to make that work without carrying my own. Just for curiosity's sake I paced myself to only drink once per mile on today's run and it worked alright. I get the concern about fuel, though...I'm still working out what works for me in that arena.

I've also got to take into account the need for electrolytes since my corn intolerance means I can't drink the Powerade they offer at some of the aid stations; I've been hoping I can get my electrolytes from my fuel but that's a whole can of research worms all its own.
Save the electrolyte question for another QOTD. 😁

Have you tried Huma gels? They have a plus version that has electrolytes in it.

Have you tried Huma gels? They have a plus version that has electrolytes in it.
I haven't. I just bought a bulk pack of Gu because I can get it relatively cheap on Amazon and I need to play around with fuel and figure out what works. Realized after I bought it that their Roctane or whatever they call it might be the better one for loading up on electrolytes.

Think I really will make this a QOTD! :p

Answer to the Soon-to-Be Question of the Day: Tailwind is a great source of fuel containing both calories, electrolytes, salt, etc. It comes as a powder which you mix into your water bottles, allowing you to set the strength of your mix based on how far you're going or how much liquid you can carry. If you want something that's not liquid based, Clif Bloks are a good option too. They're not as complete as Tailwind, and when I use them, I carry BASE Salt along too.

https://www.tailwindnutrition.com/https://www.clifbar.com/products/clif/bloks-energy-chews/bloks-mountain-berryhttps://www.baseperformance.com/products/base-electrolyte-salt-4-vials

RunDisney usually has a lot of aid stations and is usually fine for most people. However, if it is really hot - like this past January - they may not be often enough.
On a casual google search I'm seeing people say there's an aid station about every 1.5 miles--I think I might be able to make that work without carrying my own.

I ran the marathon in January and they definitely ramped up the number of aid stations from what they normally have due to the weather. They were also pouring water and electrolytes at every first aid tent. But I've also done Star Wars a few times in hot weather and they didn't really do much more, so you never know. Better to be prepared with your own if you think you may need it.

Heck, let's do it. QotD: How do you get your electrolytes on long runs and in races?

As I mentioned above, I have a corn intolerance. Fortunately most gels and blocks on the market are not made with high fructose corn syrup (for once in my life something sweet is not automatically full of corn!!). Unfortunately, HFCS is a primary ingredient in Powerade, which is what runDisney supplies at aid stations, so in the WDW marathon I won't be able to rely on that. I'm already planning to carry my own fuel but am hoping not to carry my own hydration. Right now I'm using Gu mostly because I can get it in bulk from Amazon, but I don't have any particular brand loyalty.

Answer to the Soon-to-Be Question of the Day: Tailwind is a great source of fuel containing both calories, electrolytes, salt, etc. It comes as a powder which you mix into your water bottles, allowing you to set the strength of your mix based on how far you're going or how much liquid you can carry. If you want something that's not liquid based, Clif Bloks are a good option too. They're not as complete as Tailwind, and when I use them, I carry BASE Salt along too.

https://www.tailwindnutrition.com/https://www.clifbar.com/products/clif/bloks-energy-chews/bloks-mountain-berryhttps://www.baseperformance.com/products/base-electrolyte-salt-4-vials
Thank you! Unfortunately I'd rather avoid carrying fluids on the marathon if I can...though that's part of the internal debate already happening here. I'm considering a small handheld bottle...if I went the Tailwind route I might mix it pretty strong and use it just as a way to get my electrolytes and wet my mouth between aid stations instead of relying on it for full hydration. I've tried the Clif Bloks and liked them pretty well but found them a little harder to eat on the go; do they have more electrolytes than you'd get from gels?

ATTQOTD:
I use salt pills. In the past I have used Hammer Endurolyte Extremes. Those have seemed to work well for me. I have had no issues. Sometimes I wonder if they really do anything, but I don’t think I have ever had any issues where I thought I was low on salt, so I guess they work and are doing their job?? The ‘Extreme’ version of the Endurolytes I would take one every hour. If I couldn’t get the Extremes it would be two per hour.
My local running store doesn’t carry the Extremes anymore (maybe not even the regulars either) or at least not consistently, so at the end of last year I got a bottle SaltStick Caps. I haven’t used them through the heat of a summer yet, so I will see how this summer goes with them. This variety says to take one every 30-60 minutes - so not too hot I would probably take one an hour and really hot two per hour.
I also have a lot of friends who use Base Salt. (I’m not too keen on licking my thumb with all the germs that are out there, but maybe there is a different way to get the Base Salt than that?? And I do realize that I eat my Gu Chews with my hands, but in my head that’s different. 🤣 )

(I’m not too keen on licking my thumb with all the germs that are out there, but maybe there is a different way to get the Base Salt than that?? And I do realize that I eat my Gu Chews with my hands, but in my head that’s different. 🤣 )
I was thinking about this after @FFigawi linked it and I read about how it works...any reason you couldn't use the back of a hand for the salt lick instead of a thumb pad? You're at least less likely to have touched public surfaces with that part of your hand. Might be a little more awkward but it seems like it should be doable, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

ATTQOTD Electrolytes: I do drink at the stations alternating water and Powerade. I also use Gu Gel and Clif Chews (Margarita has more salt, I have trouble finding it online these days). Bananas are a good source too. During my first Marathon, family members were handing me some of my fuel and drinks along the course. That helped, less to carry. I am definitely curious about others’ answers as I might need to become self-sufficient in that respect.

ETA: Didn’t someone mention pretzels in the past?

ATTQOTD: My suggestion is to try out fuels that incorporate electrolytes. Multi-purpose items cut down on the number of things you have to carry and worry about during the race. My favorite for marathon and shorter distances with aid stations is the Huma gels with electrolytes. They are extremely easy on the stomach. If I need to carry my own water, then Tailwind is fantastic.

QOTD: What type of hydration belt do you recommend? We talked about races where someone might need to carry their own fluids, how would you adjust your training to be able to run with a limited amount of fluids?

ATTQOTD: I almost never use the hydration options offered by the races I run because I don't like navigating the crowds around the tables, trying to actually drink the liquid, getting out of my running rhythm. For races up to 10Ks, I don't need hydration and don't carry it.

For longer races and training runs, I use a hydration vest. Not a hydration belt as you mentioned, but you might consider it. Over the years, I've acquired two different sizes: a 1.5-L and 2-L. Both are Camelbak. For a HM, I use the 1.5-L vest with Tailwind. Through practice, I know about how frequently I need to drink to drink it all over the course of the race.

For marathons, I use the 2-L with Tailwind and also usually carry a disposable 20-oz bottle with Tailwind in one of the vest pockets. I drink it first and get rid of it.

The vest I got many years ago with the 1.5-L reservoir fits great and really I hardly notice that it's on me and the pockets are useful. As it's gotten older and worn, there are a few places that I know will chafe, so I BodyGlide those spots. If it's going to be a hot day, you can freeze your liquid and then you've got a nice ice block on your back until it all melts.

I've used the 2-L vest in a few races and long runs, but honestly I don't like it nearly as much. In order to go up to the 2-L reservoir size, the vest itself is really beefed up and more intended for trail running or ultras where you need to bring more stuff with you. And even though it was supposed to be OK for women, I find it slightly too large and can't get the straps adjusted quite right. So it's annoying, but I don't use it nearly as much and can't yet justify to myself buying a different one.

Heck, let's do it. QotD: How do you get your electrolytes on long runs and in races?

As I mentioned above, I have a corn intolerance. Fortunately most gels and blocks on the market are not made with high fructose corn syrup (for once in my life something sweet is not automatically full of corn!!). Unfortunately, HFCS is a primary ingredient in Powerade, which is what runDisney supplies at aid stations, so in the WDW marathon I won't be able to rely on that. I'm already planning to carry my own fuel but am hoping not to carry my own hydration. Right now I'm using Gu mostly because I can get it in bulk from Amazon, but I don't have any particular brand loyalty.

Thank you! Unfortunately I'd rather avoid carrying fluids on the marathon if I can...though that's part of the internal debate already happening here. I'm considering a small handheld bottle...if I went the Tailwind route I might mix it pretty strong and use it just as a way to get my electrolytes and wet my mouth between aid stations instead of relying on it for full hydration. I've tried the Clif Bloks and liked them pretty well but found them a little harder to eat on the go; do they have more electrolytes than you'd get from gels?

ATTQOTD: You want to avoid carrying fluids, and I prefer carrying all my fluids!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I usually carry Tailwind in a hydration vest for races. I can only compare this to Gatorade powder, which my husband uses for his activities and so I started out with it as well. I prefer the more subtle taste of Tailwind (I use the orange). Also, the Tailwind dissolves into water so much more easily than Gatorade powder!

I will also carry some SportBeans during a race, depending on the length. I generally am not "in the mood" to eat much solids during a race.

That’s exactly the idea. Your bottle is for fuel, the aid stations are for hydration.

ATTQOTD: I am a big fan of Tailwind, I used to use it a lot when I was doing trail races. For most street races I just go with what is offered at hydration stations. But as has been shared you can carry a hand held, belt or hydration vest with the powder and add water at the hydration station. This does work, but it has slowed me down some coordinating the powder and getting a volunteer to pour warmer into my bottle. This does work great in trail races though where the aid stations are set up for this need.

I do carry Clif Shot Bloks for Half Marathon and up. They are easy on my stomach, not too sweet have great flavor choices and have options for extra sodium and caffeine. Besides fighting the wrappers sometimes they work out very well for me.

I do carry Clif Shot Bloks for Half Marathon and up. They are easy on my stomach, not too sweet have great flavor choices and have options for extra sodium and caffeine. Besides fighting the wrappers sometimes they work out very well for me.

One of my friends takes them out of the packaging and carries them in a small ziploc baggie for just this reason. He also finds that makes it easier to follow his routine of eating one every 20 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter