The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD: Do you run from home or have to travel somewhere to go run? Do you have a lot of options for mileage at home or end up having to run a loop multiple times?

For midweek runs, I run after work. My road is busy enough that it's a pain in the butt getting back out of my driveway after work, so I preferentially run somethings from home midweek. When it's dark out (like this time of year), I run a nearby loop around the neighborhood that honestly bores me to death. When it's light out, I walk/run to nearby multi-use trails in county parks.

But, for the speedwork runs that are mid-week, I go to the HS track. I leave work about 30 min early on these days specifically to deal with aforementioned traffic getting to/from the HS.

For weekend runs, I will generally do these during daylight. I either walk/run to the nearby multi-use trails or drive to one that's a bit farther away. Less than a 10-min drive with the easy weekend traffic.

ATTQOTD: I live in a neighborhood, so easy/long runs are all from home. I can do any length with no issues, in any weather. The thought of having to drive anywhere to run annoys me. It's more of a time sink and an unnecessary use of the car (maybe this explains why I've had my current lease car for 8 months and have only put 2200 miles on it!) My speedwork/tempo runs I generally do at the gym. Fortunately it is less than .5 miles away, so I walk.

QOTD: Do you run from home or have to travel somewhere to go run? Do you have a lot of options for mileage at home or end up having to run a loop multiple times?
I almost never drive to a running spot.

Weekends when it is not icy (so not lately!) I can step out my front door and run in my town. Weekdays I could run the same loop before work, but until it gets hot I will run at work on my lunch break. In my neighborhood have a preferred 3 mile loop as I do not have to wait at any stop lights and the sidewalks are well plowed, and I have a longer 6 or 9 mile loop which does involve waiting for the lights to change and residential sidewalks that are not shoveled or deiced so not a good winter option. For other runs I have a 0.25 mile walk through a parking lot to get to a closed 2km loop. I have been told I could go half a mile to reach some lovely trails, but the half a mile includes sharing the road with cars and I haven't done it yet.
One of my favorite places to run is the only place I have driven to run. It is a trail on my way to work. I am thrilled if I can trade kid drop off and leave early, get in 4 miles, and then just continue in to the office. I have only run to the trail from home once, it adds 6 miles to whatever I do in the wooded park loops.

ATTQOTD:

Dogs - I’ve taken Luna on a few runs but we didn’t work with her very well when it came to leash training so it’s usually a disaster. She’s too interested in the smells and gets very jumpy at other dogs, etc.

Today’s - Before the fall this answer would have been I run more in the neighborhood. I can easily get 3 miles in but I have to run one way until it ends then turn around and run the other way until I hit railroad tracks The. Turn around. However, since the fall (and due to hip issues), the majority of my runs are at the local park (About a 10 min drive). One lap is a little over a mile and you can run one full lap or a figure 8 to change it up. Running on our street is not level. There are no sidewalks and there are lots of uneven road parts. My hips can’t handle the running at an angle anymore. Plus, one house I have to pass on our street has 3 chihuahuas that chase after me and one bit me. I use to shoo them out of the street because I was afraid they’d get hit by cars. Now, well.... it’s best if I just avoid running by there.

ATTQOTD: I live in a fairly small neighborhood at the edge of the greater Lansing area. So I can do one mile loops in my own neighborhood or stretch it out into connecting neighborhoods and towns in the area. This gives me tons of options and I am able to run any distance I need. All of it can be on sidewalk and urban park trails. But if I want to do trail (ie dirt) running I have to drive about 10 minutes to a park for a 5 mile loop course or about 45 minutes to get to a great long distance trail (18-50 miles).

ATTQOTD: I usually run in my *hilly* neighborhood for any runs 7 miles or less. On weekends I will venture out on the busy 4 lane road that our neighborhood is on because traffic isn't bad then. If I want to avoid traffic and hills, I hit the greenway that is about a 15 minute drive away (but it floods regularly so its not always an option - @GuinnessRunner do you live in Forsyth county, GA by any chance??)

Super jealous of those of you in NYC and DC - such great places to run! Yes Central Park is hilly but it is such a cool place to run.

I normally run from home. The Marina Walk is about 5.5 miles around with plenty of bridges to make shorter loops or longer figure 8s. There’s also a nice bouncy running trail next to where we have our weekly sea swims if I feel like running on a softer surface.
Although I loved walking on the Marina Walk, I found running to be a bit of a challenge due to the various brick/stone surfaces. I also seemed to stumble occasionally on the short bridges. The surface is, however, not near as bad as the corniche in Kuwait City where I seemed to stumble on the mislaid brick with some frequency.

QOTD: Those who run with their pets. Does your pet run in front, to your side, or just all over the place? Tips for running with your pets?

Barkley runs next to me, but only because he went to doggy school and learned how to behave properly. LOL. There are times where I can tell he wants to go faster, but he generally stays right next to me. I highly recommend a waist leash, we use Stunt Puppy. The tip about having a bag available is SO important too.

We are currently building a house and I don't have a lot of options from our housing right now. Once we move, I will have more options. Right now I am running on my lunch break or after work. I cannot wait to be able to walk out my door and run again!

Barkley runs next to me, but only because he went to doggy school and learned how to behave properly. LOL. There are times where I can tell he wants to go faster, but he generally stays right next to me. I highly recommend a waist leash, we use Stunt Puppy. The tip about having a bag available is SO important too.
I also highly recommend a waist leash. Bucky is a very excited runner and doesn't understand how to pace herself. The waist makes it easier for me to dictate the speed. Like many of your dogs, she wears out so it's really only important for the first half mile or so but I still find it critical.

I'm highly convinced that not having a waist leash is what lead to me being injured most of last year.

QOTD: Which do you think would do you better during a stressful time? A adult beverage or a run?

I would probably want a adult beverage, but a run would actually make me feel better.

I asked this question because it's been a roller coaster of a ride the last day. At first DD was not accepted into a school (1st grade not higher ed lol) which was a bummer and put all of our other plans on hold. We were told that registration was just part of the process and we were in... So we were shocked when we got that piece of bad news. Then mid-morning... another phone call and all of a sudden a spot has opened up. I dont think we have ever been so happy to spend what will equal a weeks stay and park tickets for a family of 4 at the GF lol.
Looking forward to my run this evening... and then maybe a beer lol.

ATTQOTD: It depends. I have multiple routes from my house, ranging from 3 to 16 miles. I don't do loops. I also run with area run groups (I'm in downtown Atlanta) 3 times a week. If I'm doing speedwork, I go to the track near Turner Field (it was the 1996 Olympic training track and was recently refurbished by the Atlanta track club) or the active oval at Piedmont park. For tempo runs I prefer the beltline as its flat(ish) and the surface is smooth (as opposed to Atlanta's busted sidewalks) and there are very few traffic light stops.

QOTD: Which do you think would do you better during a stressful time? A adult beverage or a run?

I don't drink much but a run always makes me feel better. Running, especially in or near the woods, is my most powerful stress reducer. I have a highly stressful job, am currently in school for my MBA, and have a toddler. If I didn't run I'd go crazy.

ATTQOTD: A run 100% of the time. I find getting out in the fresh air and running a very effective stress reliever. Plus DATW is literally the only day of the year that I drink adult beverages, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to be relaxed that day already between being at Disney and being done with the race weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter