The Running Thread - 2020

Perhaps a QOTD? Likely one that’s been asked before, but: For those of you who have done a half or marathon, what was your inspiration or motivation? Or did you always just assume you’d do it? How did you decide to “go the distance”?
Jumping into running was a much bigger change point than deciding to increase distance to half marathon. I had done a few 5Ks (I hate them), and some10Ks (which I thoroughly enjoy). As I was surprised I enjoyed the 10Ks, I wanted to see if I could do and enjoy the longer distance. I picked the half a marathon weekend because (1) who doesn't want to go to disney? (2) if I wasn't going to finish, this was a good spot to enjoy being swept (3) the time limit was long enough I thought I could run the 10K at my normal pace, really only run 2 additional miles, and walk the rest- so it seemed doable without too much challenge, but the opportunity to push myself a bit was also there.
I have zero interest in running a 5K or a full marathon at this point (I suppose I would do a 5K with my kids or someone else but for company, not time). I can keep my weekly mileage up enough to do a 10K distance, but finding a way to get in 7-10 mile runs on the ramp up to a half is a bit more challenging on the time management side than physically, so I am a bit more picky about committing to another half.

Thanks for the tip; unfortunately they did not have my size. My last pair of 11s only have a few miles left. No choice but to step up to the more expensive 12s.
If it helps, I thought the 11s were the best Ghost made... until I tried the 12s! I still prefer the Glycerin for long runs, but Ghost 12 has become my short run choice.

I'm very curious how many are still going to be doing this in a few months when the heat and humidity arrive. I expect I'll have the streets to myself again running at 5:30 a.m. to catch the day low of 80 degrees.
I am counting on the fair weather runners/walker/cyclists bagging it soon as it heats up, lol!

Perhaps a QOTD? Likely one that’s been asked before, but: For those of you who have done a half or marathon, what was your inspiration or motivation? Or did you always just assume you’d do it? How did you decide to “go the distance”?
ATTQOTD: Like @Baloo in MI said, I first trained for a 5K and then knew I could do a 10K. After a 10K I knew a half was possible. And after doing a half, I was reasonably sure I could do a marathon, but I also wasn't super hung up on it: I went into my first full with the thought that if it sucked, or hurt too much, or just wasn't enjoyable, I could quit and wouldn't have any regrets. At mile 25 I felt like I could totally take on Dopey, so I moved up to that the next year! As it turns out, I don't especially love racing, but I really, really love training. I'm aware that I could still train and skip the race part, but that hasn't happened yet, lol! But it might: I'm eyeing a solo 50K sometime next winter.

I know all my running nuts will appreciate this running fun. First yeah it’s a depressing weekend a lot of races should be happening and I think I am going to have a hard day tomorrow 😢 but postponing races is the right thing to do, well I was supposed to do a 9 mile run today and the weather was crap. Rain with lightning and thunder. Definitely not a time to go outside. I live in a condo so no space for exercise equipment and who would need it we have a gym downstairs, but it’s closed like all gyms. I ran up and down the parking garage. It’s 4 levels. It was up, flat, up, flat, up, and flat. Then it was flat, down, flat, down, flat and down. i had no idea how far or how much gain I would have. My goal was to run for 60 minutes, turned into 11 laps. Wow it was wow. I did it.

thought You would all appreciate it. Definitely not 9 miles but I did something.

Wow, that sounds like 11 laps of torture! Good for you!

I've thought that doing some stair-running might be helpful for my fitness, but I'm pretty convinced that within a few steps, I'd catch my toe and fall on my face and break some teeth. lol :)

If it helps, I thought the 11s were the best Ghost made... until I tried the 12s!
I've never been disappointed in the 'next' Ghost. I've had some adjustment issues, but they've always worked out.

I emailed the local running store today. Ordered 2 pair of the 12s, sight unseen.

Unusual times call for unusual actions: I ordered white (I'm a grey guy):

My thinking is that they'll be lighter/cooler in the coming heat.

10k JustMove Marathon Boston - Virtual race recap

I am testing the Beta version of the JustMove app and they had free virtual races in honor of the postponed Boston Marathon. The races were all in real time, starting at 8AM this morning. I choose the 10k because I had a meeting at 9AM.

I put my alarm for the first time in over a month and woke up before it at 6:30AM. Just that was making it special! I had a light version of my usual race day breakfast then slowly got ready. I started running 5 minutes before 8AM with the app already launched, it just started by itself at the right time.

The sun was gorgeous, the temperature perfect, no wind. What was truly impressive is that it felt like the roads had been closed for the race. Surreal to be almost alone for a full hour during what would normally be rush hour. I had forgotten how great it feels to run early. I finished this enjoyable race in 55:41. Not a training PR but I know that if this had been a real race, I would have crushed my race PR. So, I am happy to have gone out and proud of the shape I am currently in.

I came home, threw my tissues, washed my hands, water bottle and phone and got on my call dripping and stretching. Fortunately, it only lasted 10 minute and the shower was my reward.

I highly recommend setting up a trial run, a challenge with friends running remotely by themselves or a virtual run, even with no medals. The race morning ritual and the commitment to a certain date and time make for an interesting and different experience these days. Good luck to all!

If it helps, I thought the 11s were the best Ghost made... until I tried the 12s! I still prefer the Glycerin for long runs, but Ghost 12 has become my short run choice.

I've never been disappointed in the 'next' Ghost. I've had some adjustment issues, but they've always worked out.

I emailed the local running store today. Ordered 2 pair of the 12s, sight unseen.

Unusual times call for unusual actions: I ordered white (I'm a grey guy):

View attachment 489599

My thinking is that they'll be lighter/cooler in the coming heat.

I went from the Glycerins to Ghost when Brooks “broke” the Glycerins for my feet with the 14s. Right now I’m running in a combination of Ghost 10s and 11s. With last weekend’s sale I’ve got enough in the closet for 1600-1700 more miles. I will be looking for a pair of Ghost 12s to audition as soon as they release the 13s and start to clear them out. My shoe master plan is to stay a generation behind to save some $$$ by always buying clearance.

For a very long time, the half marathon distance was plenty for me. Several times I proclaimed I would never do a full. It wasn't until I completed my first challenge (10K and half) that I realized I thought I could do it. Having done a few disney races at that point, I knew I would be entertained throughout so it was scary to take it on but I'm glad I did.

Looks like it says it will have to be cancelled because all major events >5000 people are banned until October 24th.

This bodes poorly for a September Boston.

Speaking of which, I did a very slow 13.1 mile easy run yesterday wearing my ridiculous top, was hoping to get a real one there.

View attachment 489685

I don't think Boston is happening this year unless they go the Tokyo route and allow only elites. Smaller local races maybe but I don't think Boston, Chicago, NYC, etc are happening though I hope I'm wrong. I also don't think MLB has a 2020 season at all.

Some of these states that are opening early (looking at you Georgia) will give us an idea. Maybe all will be fine but I wouldn't put any chips on that bet.

Negative thoughts: I only have until April 30 to decide whether I'm willing to gamble $60 on the half marathon in Billings actually happening in September. After that date it's $75, and I'm of half a mind to wait and pay the extra $15 for the sake of being able to make my judgment call on that signup closer to the event. That one's non-refundable, non-deferable, and they don't have any info on their website to indicate a change in that policy if they have to cancel.

Positive thoughts: the weather is beautiful today, and I did my little weekday run on my lunch break already instead of waiting until I'd finished work for the day. I've been really struggling so far this year, even more than I'd expected considering my major lapse in training--I end up huffing and puffing and struggling to catch my breath on every run, no matter how short, which is a big part of why I've been doing long runs as walks instead. But then today...today I went for my half hour run and felt fantastic the whole way, never once got out of breath. I realized while I was out there that almost every run this year up to today has been when it was cold outside, and it made me realize that cold weather impacts my respiration a lot more than I thought it did. That's good news for the summer, since it means I am not in as rough of shape as I thought I was, bad news for future winters since it means I need to get a much better face cover and/or lower my winter run expectations a lot. That'll be rough in the final lead-up to the marathon in January, but my plan has always been to do the long runs as walks whenever it would be unsafe to actually run them, and hopefully that'll work out.

I knew I was a better hot weather runner than cold weather, but this just seals it. I'd always rather be sweating up a storm out there than feeling stiff and struggling to breathe.

Negative thoughts: I only have until April 30 to decide whether I'm willing to gamble $60 on the half marathon in Billings actually happening in September. After that date it's $75, and I'm of half a mind to wait and pay the extra $15 for the sake of being able to make my judgment call on that signup closer to the event. That one's non-refundable, non-deferable, and they don't have any info on their website to indicate a change in that policy if they have to cancel.

I would personally wait and pay the extra $15. So many races have been canceled this year that it would be a gamble. I had one race outright canceled and another that they are trying to move, but may end up canceled as well. None were able to issue a refund or deferral so just out the money. At this pint, I am waiting on any other races.

I would personally wait and pay the extra $15. So many races have been canceled this year that it would be a gamble. I had one race outright canceled and another that they are trying to move, but may end up canceled as well. None were able to issue a refund or deferral so just out the money. At this pint, I am waiting on any other races.
Yeah, that's where I'm leaning right now. I could eat that cost, but why do that if I don't have to? I want to keep a positive outlook and it helps to at least pretend to believe races are going to go on for the sake of training motivation, but this seems a little too chancey this far out.

Also ask yourself, do you think you would feel safe both traveling to and participating in these races?

The Rock n Roll San Diego Marathon I registered for has been postponed until fall. But, honestly, I'm not sure I would attend even if it were being held. The likelihood of a vaccine being available by then is low. In lieu of that, the only thing that would ensure participant safety is robust testing, which is also looking doubtful by that time.

I ran The Cowtown Half-Marathon in Fort Worth on March 1. At that time I was aware of the virus but still didn't feel enough of an immediate danger to skip it. Still, that race was more uncomfortable than I expected. I tried to stay out of bunches of people and avoided anyone coughing. Concern about spectators giving high-fives to runners really stuck with me.

Given what we know now, my personal comfort level to participate in another race this year is a lot higher.

Hey!! I found you all again!

I had unintentionally marked @LSUlakes as “ignore” and I had to search old notifications to find the thread! I have no idea how I managed to put @LSUlakes on “ignore” status as I didn’t even know “ignore” was a thing!!

Happily, I took the time today to explore my settings and discovered the issue! No more scrolling thru notifications to find my favorite online running party!

I am enjoying the spring weather...low humidity and warm temps!

Also ask yourself, do you think you would feel safe both traveling to and participating in these races?
I consider that all part of the same gamble, tbh. And like I said, it helps to at least pretend that I'm going to get to run a race or two this year.

Hey!! I found you all again!

I had unintentionally marked @LSUlakes as “ignore” and I had to search old notifications to find the thread! I have no idea how I managed to put @LSUlakes on “ignore” status as I didn’t even know “ignore” was a thing!!

Happily, I took the time today to explore my settings and discovered the issue! No more scrolling thru notifications to find my favorite online running party!

I am enjoying the spring weather...low humidity and warm temps!

Thanks for mentioning this!! I had done the same, inadvertently to @FFigawi!! I’ve been so confused about where the 2020 and 2021 marathon weekend threads went!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter