• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2020

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine? Are you getting in more runs or less?
I'm still working FT, albeit from home, so I don't have a bunch more time on my hands. But without the need to drive to and from work, or style my hair or put on makeup, I have maybe an extra hour a day for whatever. At first, I was sticking to my usual exercise schedule of working out after work, but that winds up being too early, now that FL is posting summer-like temps. So I'm experimenting... yesterday, I ran at sunrise and started/finished work later than I normally would, and today I started work early and took an hour break to do a speed workout on the treadmill, followed by a shower, before going back to work. With no races to train for, I'm just doing my usual off-season base mileage, so no more or less running, just running at different times.

This week is more frustrating for me than I expected. We should be leaving tomorrow for WDW for Star Wars Weekend. We’d arranged to have our 20 month old fur baby fixed while we were gone and thankfully it’s still being done. However instead of being boarded, his rescue sister has become super needy without him.

On the bright side, I ordered a RoadID Wednesday and it arrived Saturday and Running is going great!

@happ I reviewed my notes from my Galloway seminar and the 3 things he listed as causing pain/injury were too long of stride, running too fast for your fitness level or trying for too long of distance. Hope you’ve worked the kinks out and are doing some enjoyable runs!

In more sad news about sports not happening as planned, the Tour de France has been postponed. This could be a death knell for the sport given how financially stapled most teams are. :(

https://www.espn.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/29033546/tour-de-france-postponed-no-new-dates-set

I'm hopeful they can stage this later in the year, even if the Vuelta takes the hit. The TdF is such a large portion of most pro revenue streams.

It looks like officially it is just postponed instead of cancelled for now which is better.

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine? Are you getting in more runs or less?

So far, I've been getting less runs in.

I'm lucky enough to still have my job, and for a variety of reasons it made more sense to shelter in place with my mother for the remainder of this crisis. As a result, my 1.5 hour a day commute has now been bumped up to nearly 4 hours a day.

Needless to say, I've been cranking through my audiobook backlog, but my midweek long runs have gone out the window.

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine? Are you getting in more runs or less? So far I've gotten in a lot more runs and also multiple walks a day with the family. My wife and I have both been working from home and while the work isn't a challenge getting it done while entertaining a 3 year old has been a "fun' exercise in patience. It has been hard for us both to work without one being on kid duty. If day cares were open it would really not be all the bad.

Well. Sometimes I think it depends on what day it is LOL! Right now I am still basically stuck in Orlando, staying with a trusted friend of course, but made the commitment to stay until April 30 because I felt like it was the right thing to do since there’s a stay at home order in place until then. I was in the process of getting ready to go back to work at Disney and moving back before the virus hit. And to top it all off all of my college classes were switch to online classes and let me tell you anatomy and physiology two is not a good time online!!!

But it is what it is isn’t it? I have just been doing a ton of virtual runs, basically whatever ones I can find, to keep me motivated. I committed to doing a 5K every other day until I can build up the endurance to run again in this heat. In between I do yoga and try to do workouts. And trying to stay positive!!

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine? Are you getting in more runs or less? So far I've gotten in a lot more runs and also multiple walks a day with the family. My wife and I have both been working from home and while the work isn't a challenge getting it done while entertaining a 3 year old has been a "fun' exercise in patience. It has been hard for us both to work without one being on kid duty. If day cares were open it would really not be all the bad.

I am doing better than I feel like I am. We are healthy, warm, and fed. We have the option of both adults working from home and the school has done a great job with on-line schooling- maybe too good as it is a lot of work for the grown ups. I had a moment of channeling Mr. Incredible when trying to work through the kids math yesterday.

My commute was rather short before, so the trade off of working from home and having to keep the children from destroying the house (and each other) while accomplishing any school work results in less time to fit in a run. Between that and the fickle weather (I am not going out in today's 20mph winds), it feels like I am doing significantly less running than I am. I am glad the runs get tracked so I can pull it up and show myself it is basically the same as last month, and better than the 4 before that.

I make it a point to get the kids out nearly every day, and they are now too fast for me to chase on their bikes. They have separately asked to go running with me, and are faster over short distances than I. One kiddo offered to coach me, and then proceeded to tell me 'my secret to being fast is to look fast' and demonstrated in slow-mo her running, arms swinging wildly and suggesting 'you have to alternate a chopping hand and a fist as you swing them back and forth." I'm going to take her up on the coaching and see what other gems she has to dole out.

We are doing fine here as well, although having a little bit of cabin fever. DH and I both can work form home and are currently on week 5 of this. We are lucky as we are still both full-time and our companies are both committed to no layoffs so at least we have that to be thankful for. We do try and get out as much as we can. I try and run four to five days a week (depending on whether) and walk the other days. Spring in New England has lots of rain so the weather has been iffy.

I am happy to still have a job and being designated “essential” is job security, for that I am thankful. There are 5 other people at the University in my role so they split us in half with 3 on campus and 3 at home each week so that has been really nice. On my remote week I get a little extra time to run in the morning on my office weeks I have to shift to running in the evening and a little less milage. I think it averages out. Stay safe and healthy all!

I make it a point to get the kids out nearly every day, and they are now too fast for me to chase on their bikes. They have separately asked to go running with me, and are faster over short distances than I. One kiddo offered to coach me, and then proceeded to tell me 'my secret to being fast is to look fast' and demonstrated in slow-mo her running, arms swinging wildly and suggesting 'you have to alternate a chopping hand and a fist as you swing them back and forth." I'm going to take her up on the coaching and see what other gems she has to dole out.

@DopeyBadger has some competition!

I'm doing better than expected. Work has shown me the briefest glimmers of hope with flattening the curve and community outreach is touching.

Running-wise, I'm doing what I can when I can. In general, I've given wide berth to anyone I see (including bikers), often crossing or running in the middle of the street, but all the slipstream talk has made a lot of people wary of runners and my city may start mandating face masks soon anyways, so I think I may have to wear a mask if I want to run outdoors.

Last edited:
I work from home 100% now with my new job so that’s no different for me. The big difference is trying to educate 7 kids while trying to work. That is getting exhausting. Exercise wise, I had a plan for this month of 90 miles running and 200 miles on the bike. As long as the weather allows the bike rides i’ll hit that I believe. We had a bad wind/rain storm Monday so I missed that run and I missed another one last week. I may not quite make 90 miles running. I have pretty consistently been doing my planks that I wanted to start. I wanted to do them every day but may have missed 4-5 (I have been keeping track but my calendar is downstairs.)

The bike has dramatically increased my fitness just in a few short weeks. My runs are getting easier again and my times have been dropping for no extra effort. The core work from the planks seems to be helping too as my back hurts less so far.

I wanted to fit in more consistent weight training but haven’t figured that part out yet. Overall I’m happy with the progress given the situation.

:offtopic::offtopic:
Anyone work, or have a partner/spouse, in HVAC who might be willing to help me trouble shoot reinstalling ceiling vents? If so, please pm. Thanks.

Per the website registration opens May 12th...
For any Brooks Ghost aficionados out there, Fit2Run has the Ghost 11s on sale for $69.95 with free delivery right now. Add a few more to the closet!
Looks like the site is worth checking in general--they had Hoka Arahi 3's for $89.95 (buuut not in my size). And man I am out of the loop, apparently we're up to Arahi 4 now? I feel like I just went in and got fit for my first pair of 3's.

I got busy setting up the cold smoker this morning and got out to run later than usual. The number of folks out running/walking was ABSURD. In three years of running this route I have never seen so many people. And almost all were social distancing. Which is great.

Now part of the reason is the weather is ideal. It's cool enough to go run almost any time you want. I'm very curious how many are still going to be doing this in a few months when the heat and humidity arrive. I expect I'll have the streets to myself again running at 5:30 a.m. to catch the day low of 80 degrees.

So while I was out on my run today, I spent some time considering whether I’d ever attempt a longer distance race (I’ve only done 10k to now). It seems like the next logical progression, but I’m not sure I want to...

Perhaps a QOTD? Likely one that’s been asked before, but: For those of you who have done a half or marathon, what was your inspiration or motivation? Or did you always just assume you’d do it? How did you decide to “go the distance”?

Perhaps a QOTD? Likely one that’s been asked before, but: For those of you who have done a half or marathon, what was your inspiration or motivation? Or did you always just assume you’d do it? How did you decide to “go the distance”?

I never thought I would be a distance runner. I dabbled in 5K's here & there, but I didn't really consider myself a runner even after running tons of 5K's. When two of my best friends said they wanted to go to Disney to run a marathon, I thought they were completely nuts. My motivation? I didn't want to miss out on a girl's trip with my besties, so I signed up! There may have been some beer involved with that decision...

Honestly though, when I signed up for that first marathon, my 40th birthday was looming, so I was already thinking I wanted to do something crazy anyway. There was a moment of "oh crap, what have I done", but once I came up with a plan to work up to that distance, I became determined to make it happen. I was already in 5K shape, so over 7 months, I gradually added miles, running my first 10K, 10 Miler, and Half during that time. Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with long runs and haven't stopped since.

So like you, at first I wasn't sure I wanted to, but I guess you won't know unless you try it out? If there's one thing that running has taught me, it's this: You are capable of much more than you think you are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter