• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2020

I was lucky enough to find a Jeff Galloway seminar in January, 20 minutes away from where I live. It was a smallish group so there were lots of specific to individual questions. There has been a change in the walk break length to no more than 30 seconds that I wasn’t aware of. There are also new run/walk ratios for specific paces he gave us and I think are also listed on his website.

I also found out I was running long runs too fast, apparently a common problem. :rolleyes1 Since you can’t run a long run too slow, he recommended adjusting my walk/run ratios to slow down. I made his suggested changes with my new marathon training.

Today began week 3 and I’m actually starting to enjoy it. Since my maintenance runs are so short (warm up, 30 minute run, cool down), I’ve started treating the second mile as a “Magic Mile” and really pushing for speed. I’ve dropped a minute off my 1 mile pace so far! My heart rate is 90% in the “build fitness” instead of the “intense workout” zone.

I take my fastest 1 mile time for the week and run it through the “Magic Mile” calculations to get my long run pace. I’ll match that pace to Jeff’s new recommendations for run/walk times and I have my long run interval times. I normally use 30/30 seconds but for the long run I dropped to 10 sec run/ 30 sec walk. So far I’ve finished each run feeling great. I just hope when those long run miles increase I still fee the same!

Sorry for being long winded and hope everyone is healthy and getting some socially distant outside time!
I tried the Galloway method with my recent half-marathon training, but it didn't go so well. I was doing 90/30. I felt great on my 11 mile training run, but the 12.5 run was awful. I did a virtual race for the half and started off with 90/30 and felt fine, but my hips and quads were hurting after mile 7. It was more painful to keep changing from walking to running, so I just ran with the discomfort until the end. I'm trying to build up some strength to see if that helps. I don't know if that's the problem or if I was doing something weird with my posture with the run/walk changes. I was hoping to do my first full next year, but now I'm not so sure.

I tried the Galloway method with my recent half-marathon training, but it didn't go so well. I was doing 90/30. I felt great on my 11 mile training run, but the 12.5 run was awful. I did a virtual race for the half and started off with 90/30 and felt fine, but my hips and quads were hurting after mile 7. It was more painful to keep changing from walking to running, so I just ran with the discomfort until the end. I'm trying to build up some strength to see if that helps. I don't know if that's the problem or if I was doing something weird with my posture with the run/walk changes. I was hoping to do my first full next year, but now I'm not so sure.

I can try and help if you'd like, but I'd need more information.

1) What training plan did you follow? Was it the Galloway HM found on runDisney, or something else?
2) Within the last 3 months, what has been your best Magic Mile, 5k and/or 10k time?
3) On a normal weekday, what was your average pace? Did you use 90/30 during that as well?
4) For the 11 mile training run and 12.5 mile training run, what was your average pace? Can you provide the mile by mile splits for each run and tell be about the route you run (is it very hilly)?
5) If I were to tell you to go for a comfortable walk, at what pace would you be walking?
6) What were the splits of your virtual HM and finish time?
7) What was the temperature and dew point of the virtual HM? How does that compare to the 11 and 12.5 mile training runs? How does that compare to the bulk majority of your training?
8) How was the route of the virtual HM compared to the 11 and 12.5 mile training run? Was it a similar hilliness or different?

If you'd prefer, you can also reply to these questions in private via PM.

The hardest part for me was shortening my stride, which stopped a lot of my pains (knees and hips). Hubby was just complaining of knee pain on his last runs and dropped his ratio from 90/30 to 30/30 and was fine for his Thursday run. I can say that the body adapts to whatever you do repetitively. My first 10/30 long run was only 3 miles but it felt like a half after I was done! If @DopeyBadger can’t help, I’d try a 60/30 or even 30/30 intervals and shorten your stride as much as possible. I’m not a running expert nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night though! ;)

I can try and help if you'd like, but I'd need more information.

1) What training plan did you follow? Was it the Galloway HM found on runDisney, or something else?
2) Within the last 3 months, what has been your best Magic Mile, 5k and/or 10k time?
3) On a normal weekday, what was your average pace? Did you use 90/30 during that as well?
4) For the 11 mile training run and 12.5 mile training run, what was your average pace? Can you provide the mile by mile splits for each run and tell be about the route you run (is it very hilly)?
5) If I were to tell you to go for a comfortable walk, at what pace would you be walking?
6) What were the splits of your virtual HM and finish time?
7) What was the temperature and dew point of the virtual HM? How does that compare to the 11 and 12.5 mile training runs? How does that compare to the bulk majority of your training?
8) How was the route of the virtual HM compared to the 11 and 12.5 mile training run? Was it a similar hilliness or different?

If you'd prefer, you can also reply to these questions in private via PM.
Thanks! I'll check my Garmin app to see if I have answers to these questions and send you a PM.

The hardest part for me was shortening my stride, which stopped a lot of my pains (knees and hips). Hubby was just complaining of knee pain on his last runs and dropped his ratio from 90/30 to 30/30 and was fine for his Thursday run. I can say that the body adapts to whatever you do repetitively. My first 10/30 long run was only 3 miles but it felt like a half after I was done! If @DopeyBadger can’t help, I’d try a 60/30 or even 30/30 intervals and shorten your stride as much as possible. I’m not a running expert nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night though! ;)
Thanks. I will try that. Sometimes I get a little excited for the running parts, especially if a great song is playing, and I probably start off with a longer stride.

Today was supposed to be the Milwaukee Marathon, Half and 5K. I signed up for the half just a week before the decision was made to turn it virtual. I didn’t think I’d have the motivation to finish on my own, but this morning I did it! 13.1 virtual miles and I earned my half marathon medal! It wasn’t what I envisioned, and I hope next year we can go back to running this race in person, but each medal has a story, and this one will be unique!

Today was supposed to be the Milwaukee Marathon, Half and 5K. I signed up for the half just a week before the decision was made to turn it virtual. I didn’t think I’d have the motivation to finish on my own, but this morning I did it! 13.1 virtual miles and I earned my half marathon medal! It wasn’t what I envisioned, and I hope next year we can go back to running this race in person, but each medal has a story, and this one will be unique!

Congrats on your virtual race! I was so close to signing up for the 5K - the plan was to use is at my last long run before the Star Wars Half. I'm definitely planning on signing up for it next year and hoping right along with you that we can have a traditional race for it next year.

Interesting video on aerosol and droplet dispersion that will have you considering taking up Nurmi breathing!

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/b...alk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

This item is a good example of why it's important to be careful in selecting one's sources for information right now. This was not a study in any scientific sense. The simulation they used has no validation and there is zero evidence for the findings they claim. This article outlines the problems pretty well.

Pretty much every reputable source for medical information says exercise outdoors poses no additional threat provided one takes precautions. The main one being keeping a six-foot distance from others. This is a minimum. Personally, I try to give folks an even wider berth than this just to be cautious and polite.

Now I am very much keeping an eye out for any information regarding my safety and the safety of others while exercising outdoors. And I certainly appreciate you sharing information with the group regarding this. But bottom line, if the "source" for information is a medium article... take it with a huge grain of salt.

On a related note, social distancing wasn't a problem on the run this morning. The streets were so empty I even braved going into downtown.
20200412_093527.jpg

ATTQOTD - A couple of things:

Fried green tomatoes - yes, it is a real thing and it is AMAZING!
Dill pickle sandwich on white bread with miracle whip (or substitute red tomatoes for the dill pickles)
White rice with milk, butter and sugar - heated, and eaten like soup
Molasses on biscuits (turns out much of America has never eaten molasses and prefers honey) 🤷‍♂️

We could have grown up in the same house! Lol! About the same but before I saw this post of yours I was going to say:

SARDINES! Lol! Omg I ate them out of the cans like they were going out of style when I was little. Still eat them now and most people are revolted by them. Lol.

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine? Are you getting in more runs or less? So far I've gotten in a lot more runs and also multiple walks a day with the family. My wife and I have both been working from home and while the work isn't a challenge getting it done while entertaining a 3 year old has been a "fun' exercise in patience. It has been hard for us both to work without one being on kid duty. If day cares were open it would really not be all the bad.

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine? Are you getting in more runs or less? So far I've gotten in a lot more runs and also multiple walks a day with the family. My wife and I have both been working from home and while the work isn't a challenge getting it done while entertaining a 3 year old has been a "fun' exercise in patience. It has been hard for us both to work without one being on kid duty. If day cares were open it would really not be all the bad.

I've been the same - I think there have maybe been five days over the course of our Stay at Home order where I haven't gone out because the weather just wouldn't cooperate. Every other day I have been running, going on walks with my sister, or sometimes both. Getting out for some exercise (especially running) has become a huge source of stress relief for me - when I get overwhelmed with my work for school and remote teaching, I just take a break and go run and come back feeling so much better.

I’m doing well. Working from home, so that fills up the workdays. Weekends can get a bit boring. I started out running a bit more than usual, but now it’s back to about the normal amount, mainly because all of last week I was just low energy and walked a lot because I didn’t feel up to runs.

I'm doing alright--been going through one of those withdrawing periods (thus disappearing from this thread for ten pages), but we've been working on routines to ensure sleep actually happens at night, and having my work routine helps (much as I'd love to have a break from work, I think it would be harder in some ways). Been keeping up the same runs I'd planned before all this happened. Saturday morning it snowed here, but wasn't too cold--good because it wasn't so bitter outside, bad because that meant the snow was slushy and there was no way my feet would stay dry in running shoes. So I put on my hiking shoes, bundled up, and slogged through the snow for 4 miles at a walk instead, which felt like as hard of a workout as I would have expected from a 4 mile run/walk in nice weather. Nice thing about walking is I can listen to funny podcasts; I'm slowly catching up on several years' backlog of The Adventure Zone. Can't do that when I run because I don't have the lung power to run and laugh at the same time (plus it's just too distracting).

ATTQOTD: Venison! Specifically elk, but some deer as well. Growing up with family members who hunted, that was totally normal; I was surprised when I took a homemade pizza with elk sausage to a school event and no one would touch it once they knew what it was. Got spoiled by elk bratwurst as a kid; I've never liked beef bratwurst half as much.

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine? Are you getting in more runs or less?

Still healthy, and so is DH who is an essential worker. No runs, or walks, since the first weekend of March. Which might be one reason why I am struggling mentally. We are moving 3 weeks from today and that isn’t helping my stress levels.

Congratulations!! @mateojr and I were out running the virtual Hot Chocolate 5K that morning and we were wondering who else was "racing" along lake drive. :)

How is everyone doing so far this quarantine?
I am in week 5 of house arrest (working from home) and I have not left my house for anything besides walking my dog and going running. Because it is the only time I get out, I have been going running just about every day and doing some pretty long mid week and even longer weekend runs. Also, now that I am not commuting in the AM, I have stretched my morning strength training workout from 45 mins to 90 minutes. Between all the running and all the lifting I have been doing I am in incredible shape right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter