The Running Thread - 2020

Those who use Aftershokz, which ones do you like and why? Thinking of getting some....

I have used both the Titanium and the Air. I liked the Titanium just fine while I had them, but wow are the Air better in all aspects. They sound better, have the same or better battery life, are much lighter and are FAR more comfortable to wear. I would recommend the Air over the Titanium every time.

Unfortunately, I can’t directly compare the Air to the newest Aeropex model. The Aeropex have some appealing features like being more waterproof, having a different charging mechanism (proprietary magnetic vs micro USB) and most reviews say they sound better. I’d like to try them, but I like my Air so much, I haven’t found the excuse to spend the $$$ on the Aeropex yet.

Bottom line, if you’re looking at trying out Aftershokz for the first time, my advice would be to get the Air. You’re buying mid-range so you get better sound and comfort over the base Titanium’s while not spending quite so much on the top end Aeropex for a technology you’re looking to try for the first time.

Those who use Aftershokz, which ones do you like and why? Thinking of getting some....

I have the titanium ones. I bought them over their Black Friday sale where it was buy one give one so my DH could get a pair as well. I liked the price point on them which is why I went with that version. I did find they took a little getting used to like how to position them and they can be a little challenging in the winter with a hat, but I have successful worn a hat, headphones, and sunglasses even if it was a little bulky. I like that I can still hear what is going one and I love not sticking them in my ears as I previously had jaybirds and hated them. One issue I have had is there is little notice when they need to be charged. It will say please charge and then they will die shortly there after. My jaybirds would say 20% or something and say please charge, but I could usually finish my run before they died. Not a huge deal, but definitely make sure to check your battery after a few runs.

I have the titanium ones. I bought them over their Black Friday sale where it was buy one give one so my DH could get a pair as well. I liked the price point on them which is why I went with that version. I did find they took a little getting used to like how to position them and they can be a little challenging in the winter with a hat, but I have successful worn a hat, headphones, and sunglasses even if it was a little bulky. I like that I can still hear what is going one and I love not sticking them in my ears as I previously had jaybirds and hated them. One issue I have had is there is little notice when they need to be charged. It will say please charge and then they will die shortly there after. My jaybirds would say 20% or something and say please charge, but I could usually finish my run before they died. Not a huge deal, but definitely make sure to check your battery after a few runs.
I have the Air as well and I agree with the above thoughts. My plantronics would tell me how much battery life was left every time I turned them on. These don’t do that ao
I have to pay attention to the phone because it says it up top.

Sound wise, they are great on podcasts. I don’t think the sound is as good for music, it’s not bad it’s just not on the level of the Bose or Plantronics. For podcasts it sounds equal to the other two. Battery life is good. They are very light. I can’t tell they are even on. Based on my 2-3 months of use, I would buy them again for sure.

QOTD:

How many days a week are you running right now? I am currently working my way up from low 20 MPW up to 25ish MPW, and running 5 days a week. Looking ahead to when I start moving up to 30 MPW probably in the fall, I am thinking working in another day will make sense to help with that, but kinda worried about losing one of my rest days. That or I need to get faster in my slow runs so I can make time for more miles, but I figure the speed will come with more miles...

ATTQOTD:
I started a new training plan last week, but it is set up like my last few. I am running six days a week. I also do OrangeTheory twice a week, and with this plan I have added a couple bike trainer sessions. I have one complete rest day. When I first started doubling OTF (morning) with running (after work), I wondered why I was so fatigued during my run. m I finally made the connection. 🤣 Now that my body is used to it, it’s not too bad, and I barely notice any additional fatigue.

ATTQOTD: I’m aiming for 5 days a week. It’s been difficult with some medical issues, a lingering injury to my toe after being stepped on by a horse a few months ago, virtual school for two kids and opening a small business. Needless to say I’m so very tired 🤣

ATTQOTD:

Right now I'm doing 5 running days per week, 3 cycling days per week, and 3 yoga sessions per week. Doubles on five days per week, one single day, and one day off. I'm usually around 5 hrs of running per week, 5 hrs cycling per week, and 1.5 hrs of yoga. I'm doing the Daniels 60mi per week 1500/2 mi training plan with edits for cycling and my fitness level.

ATTQOTD:

Five days per week. That was the regimen @DopeyBadger set up for my marathon training plan but, obviously, the race is on hold. I've done pretty good holding to that over the past six weeks or so. I need to start adding some of the individual workouts that were in the plan before I get a testy email from the coach.

ATTQOTD:

None. I'm having a real hard time finding motivation and getting back to it. Work got VERY busy when things locked down. I already worked from home, but relied heavily on the building gym and the gym in walking distance for treadmill miles in the late afternoons and evenings. With both of those closed and afternoon temps rising, I've gotten completely out of the habit and haven't run in a couple of weeks. The real trick is I can't do mornings. I live out west and with coworkers and employees in every timezone, I usually start my day not long after my dog gets me up for her walk.

I haven't run regularly in a couple of months but would love to find a consistent time to do it.

ATTQOTD: I guess this is a good time to jump back into the questions! I have run ZERO miles since last APRIL (Like 2019) :eek: But I registered for Dopey yesterday (or @LikelyLynae registered me!)so I will be starting all over. The state park where I like to run is opening things back up (think bathrooms, lol) on Friday so I will be starting next week. I may die... we will see how it goes!

ATTQOTD: I guess this is a good time to jump back into the questions! I have run ZERO miles since last APRIL (Like 2019) :eek: But I registered for Dopey yesterday (or @LikelyLynae registered me!)so I will be starting all over. The state park where I like to run is opening things back up (think bathrooms, lol) on Friday so I will be starting next week. I may die... we will see how it goes!
Our trails and running paths have been open but with bathrooms closed and it has been a struggle!

ATTQOTD: I'm starting out with running three days per week and going to work back up to five, which was what I was running prior to getting sick last month. Once my gym opens back up/I feel comfortable enough health-wise to go to the gym, I'll also be lifting three days a week.

I have been running four days/week averaging 17-18 miles one week and then 21-23 miles the next. Usually a 3/5/3/6 week then a 3.5/6/3.5/8-10 week.

I am also doing a second round of LIIFT4, which requires 4 workouts/week, currently on week 6.

It is a good balance for me since there are no races to train for and I can't get to my usual flat running locations. Instead, I'm doing a lot of hills and single-track trails around my house (live next to a state park). I did wake up and get to my flat rails to trails last Sunday morning and ran 10 miles from 6:30-8:00 a.m. I went early because I figured people would come out in droves since it was a beautiful, warm spring day (in PA) and with no church, the trail would be more crowded than usual. I saw absolutely no one. Good for me - bad for others' fitness! :crazy:

I have been thinking about upping my mid-week mileage to support longer weekend, but I just don't want to right now. haha!

ATTQOTD runs per week: I couldn’t answer that question without looking at my stats! DH and both DDs have been getting into running. Whenever I am planning a special virtual run or a rest day, one of them asks if we can go run. And if I am planning in advance to go running with them, it happens that they choose to do something else. So I go with the flow.

I would say that I am averaging 4 to 5 days of running per week and sometimes I go twice during the day. My average weekly distance is 37km (23 miles). Individual runs vary between 3km (2 miles) and 12km (7.5 miles) which are short compared to a typical marathon training plan. Right now, I do not know if I will go on such training plan in June as the 2020 racing season looks grimmer everyday around here.

ATTQOTDs: I've been running 3-4 times a week mixed with Liift 4. Liift 4 is four days a week and I'm on the last week which is week 8. I've been running a bit slower coming back from busting my ankle up pretty bad and I think my PF may be creeping back which just sucks!

Nutrition: Love Tailwind. I know someone recommended carrying them in baggies but I heard on a podcast that using old Nuun tubes works as well if you have the room.

What will bring me back to races: I honestly don't know at this point. The race I was scheduled to do in April got moved to September and the 5k I was supposed to do next month with my oldest has moved to a virtual. I've not stopped running since everything shut down but I live in an area where I don't encounter too many people so moving a little further out of the way hasn't been difficult. I will say that I personally think I would have a hard time running in a mask. I will wear them out in public or in a corral waiting if we need to, but that just seems like it would be really hard running in one. I'm signed up for the challenge for Wine and Dine and for the marathon in January so I'm going to keep training in the hopes that the races happen!

Wow, a lot of catching up to do so I’ll try to be quick.

I’m essential and life for me is mostly normal each day other than parking at home instead of at a company location, and now masks are required in most areas. From what I see and my own research and personal risk vs reward, I would race tomorrow if they would let us.

I use honey stinger gels and water at stops for fuel during races.

Airpods are my choice running, paired with my watch so I don’t have to carry a phone, and just wipe them quickly each time

I was 4 days a week and 20-25 miles until this month, I’ve been crazy busy and with no races soon dropped to 3 days and 15 miles but I think I’ll bump it back up because I miss the weekend long run

ATTQOTD: I'm doing some running almost every day though some days it may only be like 1 mile running then 3-4 miles walking and other days more like 4 miles running.

I have been doing a lot of run/walk work but with with all my races cancelled (next one is october) I'm using this time to work more on transitioing from run/walk to more continuous running so doing a little less miles overall but "harder" miles. I'm at a 24 day streak right now.

One motivation for me (and the reason I get out and do something every day) is I'm participating in several stepbets and a runbet. So I have to get in 4 runs a week and 10,000 steps every single day or I lose money (and can make money if I do it) and a run makes the steps so much easier and quicker to get so even on a "rest" day I'll still go run a mile then walk the rest I need to get my steps in. Steps are tough to get in when you are working from home. Walking to the kitchen to bedroom to office just doesn't get the same steps as when you drive to the office and go out to lunch and so forth. But the stepbets and runbets have keep me motivated and make sure I get some steps and some runs in.

QOTD:

How many days a week are you running right now?

I’m trying to increase my mileage, so have been trying to run 4 days a week. But I’ve only been successful I think 2 weeks of the last 6. Most weeks I’m sticking to my normal 3 runs per week. I’d really like to increase that but like most of you have said it’s hard without motivation/a race to look forward to.
I am doing some cycling, yoga, and strength work though, so working out usually 6 days a week in some form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter