The Running Thread - 2021

Newbie here! I’m currently training for my first half marathon (Disney Princess Half) and I’ve realized I need a better solution to my phone holding situation. I have been running with it shoved in my shirt but it’s not working now that my distances are getting longer. Do people use the things that strap on to your arm? Thanks for any advice!
My running skirts have large pockets that I keep my phone in. Also, I have several capris and shorts with pockets also.
A hydration pack can also have front pockets large enough for phones.
Or a FlipBelt (or whatever they are called now) or SpiBelt are good options.

Wow this is great news for you Boston Qualifiers! No added time to BQ times this year!
BQ "cutoff" is 0 min 0 sec
That is a wow. Never seen all entries accepted before.

Only 24,000 entries were received. Seems really low, but they are requiring all runners to have received a COVID vaccine in order to participate. Don’t know why they went with this. What they had in place this year with either vaccine card or negative test had worked well.

Newbie here! I’m currently training for my first half marathon (Disney Princess Half) and I’ve realized I need a better solution to my phone holding situation. I have been running with it shoved in my shirt but it’s not working now that my distances are getting longer. Do people use the things that strap on to your arm? Thanks for any advice!
I've always used a belt clip holster at all times even when not running and also use that when running to hold my phone. It's the access to my phone that I'm used to normally.

Only 24,000 entries were received. Seems really low

Looks like they normally get about 25,000-28,000 time qualifier submissions based on this (link). So that would make sense why they could accept everyone if they received less applications this year.

Currently, I usually run phoneless but when I have it, I have running shorts and pants with a pocket big enough for a phone. If you just need a place to put your phone but don't need to access it while running, I find those to be the options with the least bounce and rubbing. The spibelt or flipbelt work great for some people but I found them annoying. If you need to access your phone to track runs or use a training app, there are arm bands with an open front that allow your touch screen to be accessible. My husband used one for a while before he got his watch and liked it. If the upper arm band is annoying, I have this band made out of athletic material that is sized to fit on your forearm (Sprigs). I found that to be the best option for me because I sweat a lot and the upper arm bands would slip and twist unless I had them super tight and that was uncomfortable.

So is it a “normal running thing” to have one of your feet feel like the bottom is bruised? That’s the best description I can give for my left foot right now. It’s been a thing for awhile, but it’s gotten a little more irritating this week. It’s in front of my heel, but not to the middle of my arch. I have not googled.

and no, I haven’t stepped on any legos recently.

So is it a “normal running thing” to have one of your feet feel like the bottom is bruised? That’s the best description I can give for my left foot right now. It’s been a thing for awhile, but it’s gotten a little more irritating this week. It’s in front of my heel, but not to the middle of my arch. I have not googled.

and no, I haven’t stepped on any legos recently.
That sounds like plantar fasciitis. Your plantar fascia inserts at the anterior portion of your calcaneus (the big heel bone). Try NSAIDS and rolling with a cold water bottle. They also make specific rollers with little nubs on them for rolling out your plantar fascia that feel great once the inflammation is better. Not saying you have to stop running, but you should put some serious thought towards an extra day or two of rest and try to get the acute inflammation in check before it gets worse. Don't stretch it like crazy. Gentle rolling and anti-inflammatories.

I use the flipbelt for my phone, I like that it fits snugly and doesn’t bounce. I use the one with a zipper. I also use the water bottle that fits in it, I like that it’s the shape of your waist.

I tried armbands and belts in the past and did not find them comfortable. I now purchase capri and pants with phone pockets and that works fine. For mid length runs, I put a small flask of water in the other pocket.

ETA: If you go the pants pockets route, test them with your phone to be sure they are deep enough to keep it in and that it doesn’t interfere with your movements.

Last edited:
My #1 requirement for running bottoms is that they have a pocket big enough for my phone. I have a zippered running belt, and it doesn’t annoy me to run with my phone in it, until I want to access my phone for some reason, then it’s a major hassle.

I have a weirdly specific question, but hey - you never know who may have experience with things!

I finally have an appointment to see someone about my hyper-reactive immune system. They want to start by doing allergy testing, and I cannot take my daily Zyrtec for a week ahead of said testing... that will mean doing a Dopey b2b2b2b sim minus the medication that enables me to breathe, as well as exercise without breaking out in hives. Has anyone gone through something like this? I'm wondering just how awful or impossible it might be? They did say if it's really bad, I should go ahead and take the Zyrtec, but they're prefer that I don't.
I just went through some allergy testing this week. If you take any antihistamines or even Tylenol PM, which is just rebranded Benadryl, the testing may not work.
Fortunately for me, I don’t take anything daily so it wasn’t an issue. If you do take your Zyrtec, you may not get anything out of your doctor’s appointment.
Is running inside any better for you? My only thought is that maybe it’s environmental and you wouldn’t need the Zyrtec on an indoor track or treadmill.

I set up a few workouts on the VA3 but find doing it in Connect and then pushing it out to the watch is much easier. I think of intervals as repeats of efforts and recovery which isn't all that different than run/walk when you break it down.

As an example, below is the workout I am about to leave the house to do. It was created in Garmin Connect and then pushed to the watch. Any Garmin watch that supports workouts should handle it.

View attachment 623898

So that sure looks like "intervals" to me. So is the comparison of the Garmin 245 vs Vivoactive 4s really just saying:

-yes, the Vivoactive 4 can do run/walk.
-yes, the Vivoactive 4 can do "intervals" (or custom workouts) when made using Garmin Connect.
-no, the Vivoactive 4 can not make an "intervals" (or custom workout) on the watch itself. Whereas you can write "intervals" workouts on a Garmin 245 watch.

If this is the case, then to me, it's irrelevant. It's infinitely easier to write custom workouts on Garmin Connect than it is to try and replicate that writing on the watch. So if I've got it right, then this particular difference between the Garmin 245 vs Vivoactive 4 would mostly be irrelevant. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'm also in the camp of no running bottoms without pockets. I tried an armband, but it was not comfortable at all and too hard to access the phone. Try the Baleaf brand.

I just went through some allergy testing this week. If you take any antihistamines or even Tylenol PM, which is just rebranded Benadryl, the testing may not work.
Fortunately for me, I don’t take anything daily so it wasn’t an issue. If you do take your Zyrtec, you may not get anything out of your doctor’s appointment.
Is running inside any better for you? My only thought is that maybe it’s environmental and you wouldn’t need the Zyrtec on an indoor track or treadmill.
Treadmill or indoor track isn't an option, but wouldn't matter: even indoors, I break out in hives when I take a shower, exercise, look at something the wrong way... :rotfl:Zyrtec literally changed my life! I'm thinking about postponing it all until the new year, TBH. The last thing I need right now is to create more issues.

Only 24,000 entries were received. Seems really low, but they are requiring all runners to have received a COVID vaccine in order to participate. Don’t know why they went with this. What they had in place this year with either vaccine card or negative test had worked well.

My guess is to preempt any issues with the city. With a new mayor in place and Boston keeping much stricter covid policies than other places, the race probably figured it was better to require this at the start. Could potentially change as we head into the new year, but that would be my assumption.

Race report—Philadelphia Marathon, Sunday, November 21, 2021

Goals: sub 5 hour or bust.
I didn’t care if I finished at all, if I didn’t reach 5 hours. It’s been a marathon goal of mine since I ran my first marathon in January 2014.

Time: 4:46:37

Weather was perfect: T+D = 40+36=76 at the start; 51+39=90 at the finish. No rain.

Start went pretty smoothly. I got there later than they suggested, so it was my own fault I was in a long security line to get to the start area. Even so, I got on a porta potty line and was in my corral with about 5 min to spare, which is perfect for me. Meb Keflezighi was there for the weekend, and so was Aliphine Tuliamuk, and they really were present! They spoke at the expo and were at the start & finish line at each of the 3 races that weekend. They also did some Q&As online regarding the race in the weeks prior. They earned their fees! Mayor of Running Bart Yasso was there too, and I saw Bill Rodgers at the Expo and maybe at the start. Singing of the National Anthem, a few words from each of the dignitaries and we were off. As much as I make fun of the Rocky theme at every single race in this city, I was disappointed they didn’t play it today.

I worked out a strategy with Billy, given that it was sooooo important to me to get that sub-5, that I should set a range of paces that are acceptable for each mile. So I printed out a list to wear on my wrist: for each mile, what is the slowest I could run, and still make my time (most miles were 11:00 but some were hills or I planned to take nutrition, so those were a little slower) Then the fastest acceptable time for the mile would be like 0:30 faster. I added a 3rd column, with the total time I can be at, at that point in the race, and still be on track. This was a strategy so that I don’t mentally lose it when I’m tired and start catastrophizing, thinking I won’t make it because I was tired and doing stupid math in my head. Each mile marker, I could check my pace for that mile, but also check and make sure I was on track to hit my goal, no matter how that particular mile went. It was a good strategy and I might do it again in future races where I have a time goal.

I’ve said it before but I just love city races. The city really came out, especially in my neighborhood in the beginning miles, and also on the famous Main St of Manayunk about miles 19-21. It was so moving to see everybody out cheering after the past year and a half. I had a great time. The course was pretty flat except for 3 significant hills. But spectators stationed themselves at the bottom and top of the hills and there was so much crazy cheerleading that it didn’t seem so bad! Also I had a pace plan for the hills, as I said, which helped a lot.

It’s blasphemy here, but I think I’m starting to like Philly races more than Disney races even. Our City Hall is absolutely spectacular, and we have the real Independence Hall & Liberty Bell. The start & finish at the Art Museum is not too shabby either. Lots of other beautiful landmarks too. Maybe I’ll change my mind back when I get to Marathon Weekend!

I have a really weird asthma trigger during distance races: It’s not exercise-induced asthma exactly, it only comes on when I get really emotional, but only during a race or a long run, when I’ve been running a long time. And it’s bad, I feel like my airways close right up. I was thinking of brining an inhaler just in case I did in fact make my time, and I got too happy at the finish. But I forgot to bring it. There were already a few times during the race when I knew I was pretty on track to finally make my sub-5, and so many people were cheering on the course, that I did start to gasp a little. I crossed the finish, and I was in a little asthma trouble to begin with just with the thrill of making my goal. Then I go to pick up my medal, not paying attention, thinking it’s a bunch of volunteers, and Aliphine is right in front of me handing out medals! Bart Yasso was next to her, so I went to him to get the medal because, what does an Olympian want to give me a medal for. And Bart just feels more like a regular person. He lives near me and I see him on my trail all the time. He gives me my medal and says a few words, then he gestures to Aliphine who was somehow not mobbed by people and was like in our conversation! The next minute or two is a bit of a blur because I was so emotional. She held her arms out to hug me and I was just like, “Really?” and she said Yes. All I know is that when I hugged her, first, I blurted out “I love you!” Which wasn’t a lie, I follow all her social media and look up to her, but how embarrassing. Now I’m starting to feel my asthma come on. She tells me what a great job I did, congratulations, etc. And now I blurt out, “I just broke 5 hours for the first time!!!!” Now again, what a stupid thing to say to a woman who runs marathons at literally twice the pace I just did. But I am telling you, she was so genuinely warm and generous with her excitement for me over it. It was just a thrill. Also I think my nose was running like crazy while I was talking to her :crazy:

I stumbled away and my asthma *really* kicked in. I was like a fish out of water, gasping for air. Thankfully my DH found me right away and I was able to calm down over my excitement of finally reaching my goal, and having such a nice moment WITH AN OLYMPIAN.A sub-5 hour marathon is not a big deal to most people but it was everything to me. And I’ve been training for marathons for 8 years, and running for 30 years recreationally.

Of course, I have to thank Billy for making me plans over the past few years. My first marathon I ran with one of his plans knocked my previous marathon PR down 35 minutes, and I just knocked it down again. I want all us over-50-clubbers to know I just knocked THIRTY MINUTES off my previous PR at the age of FIFTY! It’s possible! The key is to have been slow to begin with, so there is a lot of room for improvement haha!

I sure do. I've gone through probably a half-dozen. The salt/sweat from my long runs usually gums up the zipper. (I hope that doesn't gross you out! haha)
I say that only to explain that my purchasing experience with arm bands...which leads to my recommendation that if you live near a running store, I would advise you to stop in and try them out on your arm and with the phone. Keep in mind that if it is even *slightly* uncomfortable for a few minutes while trying in the store, that will be multiplied 10-fold on a 2 hour run! Spend the extra few bucks on one that feels good! Also, after a few longer runs, if you still really like it go ahead and buy one or two for replacements. YMMV but mine last about 3 months during the summer months and maybe 4-5 months each during the rest of the year.
I have an arm band holder, but I find that it gets uncomfortable for anything but a short run, especially with the weight of my latest cell phone. I've opted for a belt, and tried several to find one comfortable enough for the long runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter