The Running Thread - 2021

What did you do to do this? I'm picturing an 8.5x11 sheet of paper wrapped around your arm, but I'm sure that isn't what you did!
I mean, I did print it out on an 8.5x11 piece of paper! I made the chart in excel, but kept the columns pretty narrow. Then I just cut the printout down with scissors, "laminated" it with strips of Scotch tape, and taped it around my wrist! It did wind up being like 2.5 inches wide. I didn't mind it though.

What did you do to do this? I'm picturing an 8.5x11 sheet of paper wrapped around your arm, but I'm sure that isn't what you did!
Never tried them but I know you can get these temporary tattoo kind of things that you can fill in your paces, etc with a sharpie. They have a version for swim meets that some of the kids used when my kid was doing club swim. Must hold up pretty well if they survive a swim meet.

Never tried them but I know you can get these temporary tattoo kind of things that you can fill in your paces, etc with a sharpie. They have a version for swim meets that some of the kids used when my kid was doing club swim. Must hold up pretty well if they survive a swim meet.

If you want something more durable and comfortable, albeit less flexible, you can order silicone wristband “pace bands” that are pre-printed with target paces and times.

Race report—Philadelphia Marathon, Sunday, November 21, 2021

Goals: sub 5 hour or bust.
I didn’t care if I finished at all, if I didn’t reach 5 hours. It’s been a marathon goal of mine since I ran my first marathon in January 2014.

Time: 4:46:37

Weather was perfect: T+D = 40+36=76 at the start; 51+39=90 at the finish. No rain.

Start went pretty smoothly. I got there later than they suggested, so it was my own fault I was in a long security line to get to the start area. Even so, I got on a porta potty line and was in my corral with about 5 min to spare, which is perfect for me. Meb Keflezighi was there for the weekend, and so was Aliphine Tuliamuk, and they really were present! They spoke at the expo and were at the start & finish line at each of the 3 races that weekend. They also did some Q&As online regarding the race in the weeks prior. They earned their fees! Mayor of Running Bart Yasso was there too, and I saw Bill Rodgers at the Expo and maybe at the start. Singing of the National Anthem, a few words from each of the dignitaries and we were off. As much as I make fun of the Rocky theme at every single race in this city, I was disappointed they didn’t play it today.

I worked out a strategy with Billy, given that it was sooooo important to me to get that sub-5, that I should set a range of paces that are acceptable for each mile. So I printed out a list to wear on my wrist: for each mile, what is the slowest I could run, and still make my time (most miles were 11:00 but some were hills or I planned to take nutrition, so those were a little slower) Then the fastest acceptable time for the mile would be like 0:30 faster. I added a 3rd column, with the total time I can be at, at that point in the race, and still be on track. This was a strategy so that I don’t mentally lose it when I’m tired and start catastrophizing, thinking I won’t make it because I was tired and doing stupid math in my head. Each mile marker, I could check my pace for that mile, but also check and make sure I was on track to hit my goal, no matter how that particular mile went. It was a good strategy and I might do it again in future races where I have a time goal.

I’ve said it before but I just love city races. The city really came out, especially in my neighborhood in the beginning miles, and also on the famous Main St of Manayunk about miles 19-21. It was so moving to see everybody out cheering after the past year and a half. I had a great time. The course was pretty flat except for 3 significant hills. But spectators stationed themselves at the bottom and top of the hills and there was so much crazy cheerleading that it didn’t seem so bad! Also I had a pace plan for the hills, as I said, which helped a lot.

It’s blasphemy here, but I think I’m starting to like Philly races more than Disney races even. Our City Hall is absolutely spectacular, and we have the real Independence Hall & Liberty Bell. The start & finish at the Art Museum is not too shabby either. Lots of other beautiful landmarks too. Maybe I’ll change my mind back when I get to Marathon Weekend!

I have a really weird asthma trigger during distance races: It’s not exercise-induced asthma exactly, it only comes on when I get really emotional, but only during a race or a long run, when I’ve been running a long time. And it’s bad, I feel like my airways close right up. I was thinking of brining an inhaler just in case I did in fact make my time, and I got too happy at the finish. But I forgot to bring it. There were already a few times during the race when I knew I was pretty on track to finally make my sub-5, and so many people were cheering on the course, that I did start to gasp a little. I crossed the finish, and I was in a little asthma trouble to begin with just with the thrill of making my goal. Then I go to pick up my medal, not paying attention, thinking it’s a bunch of volunteers, and Aliphine is right in front of me handing out medals! Bart Yasso was next to her, so I went to him to get the medal because, what does an Olympian want to give me a medal for. And Bart just feels more like a regular person. He lives near me and I see him on my trail all the time. He gives me my medal and says a few words, then he gestures to Aliphine who was somehow not mobbed by people and was like in our conversation! The next minute or two is a bit of a blur because I was so emotional. She held her arms out to hug me and I was just like, “Really?” and she said Yes. All I know is that when I hugged her, first, I blurted out “I love you!” Which wasn’t a lie, I follow all her social media and look up to her, but how embarrassing. Now I’m starting to feel my asthma come on. She tells me what a great job I did, congratulations, etc. And now I blurt out, “I just broke 5 hours for the first time!!!!” Now again, what a stupid thing to say to a woman who runs marathons at literally twice the pace I just did. But I am telling you, she was so genuinely warm and generous with her excitement for me over it. It was just a thrill. Also I think my nose was running like crazy while I was talking to her :crazy:

I stumbled away and my asthma *really* kicked in. I was like a fish out of water, gasping for air. Thankfully my DH found me right away and I was able to calm down over my excitement of finally reaching my goal, and having such a nice moment WITH AN OLYMPIAN.A sub-5 hour marathon is not a big deal to most people but it was everything to me. And I’ve been training for marathons for 8 years, and running for 30 years recreationally.

Of course, I have to thank Billy for making me plans over the past few years. My first marathon I ran with one of his plans knocked my previous marathon PR down 35 minutes, and I just knocked it down again. I want all us over-50-clubbers to know I just knocked THIRTY MINUTES off my previous PR at the age of FIFTY! It’s possible! The key is to have been slow to begin with, so there is a lot of room for improvement haha!
50 <snort> a kid.... ;-)

Seriously, great story and kudos on the accomplishment. Thank you for sharing.

Congratulations @SheHulk for a well paced marathon and a successful finish!

I do configure on paceband.org , then print on a paper and use moving tape to make it impermeable. However, when I put it on my wrist, it gets humid and the color leaks so it becomes almost unreadable. I prefer pinning 🧷 my paceband upside down on my belt so I just flip it up to read it if I need to. I like the idea of a tatoo but only saw a preprinted one from Saucony given for a virtual race.

If you want something more durable and comfortable, albeit less flexible, you can order silicone wristband “pace bands” that are pre-printed with target paces and times.
I was picturing her with one of the quarterback armbands, flipping the cover up to check her data each mile.
Congratulations @SheHulk for a well paced marathon and a successful finish!

I do configure on paceband.org , then print on a paper and use moving tape to make it impermeable. However, when I put it on my wrist, it gets humid and the color leaks so it becomes almost unreadable. I prefer pinning 🧷 my paceband upside down on my belt so I just flip it up to read it if I need to. I like the idea of a tatoo but only saw a preprinted one from Saucony given for a virtual race.

Here’s a pic of what I was referring to. They’re ~1” wide for reference. No worries about them getting wet and running!

F4CDBBDA-44C8-44E7-8010-11A0C8F27827.jpeg

For those of you with a Garmin that has pace pro you can use that instead of silicone or paper. It actually uses the course profile so it will have you run hilly miles slower as opposed to every mile at the same pace. I've used it for a few training runs and one half and really like it.

Race report—Philadelphia Marathon, Sunday, November 21, 2021

Goals: sub 5 hour or bust.
I didn’t care if I finished at all, if I didn’t reach 5 hours. It’s been a marathon goal of mine since I ran my first marathon in January 2014.

Time: 4:46:37

Weather was perfect: T+D = 40+36=76 at the start; 51+39=90 at the finish. No rain.

Start went pretty smoothly. I got there later than they suggested, so it was my own fault I was in a long security line to get to the start area. Even so, I got on a porta potty line and was in my corral with about 5 min to spare, which is perfect for me. Meb Keflezighi was there for the weekend, and so was Aliphine Tuliamuk, and they really were present! They spoke at the expo and were at the start & finish line at each of the 3 races that weekend. They also did some Q&As online regarding the race in the weeks prior. They earned their fees! Mayor of Running Bart Yasso was there too, and I saw Bill Rodgers at the Expo and maybe at the start. Singing of the National Anthem, a few words from each of the dignitaries and we were off. As much as I make fun of the Rocky theme at every single race in this city, I was disappointed they didn’t play it today.

I worked out a strategy with Billy, given that it was sooooo important to me to get that sub-5, that I should set a range of paces that are acceptable for each mile. So I printed out a list to wear on my wrist: for each mile, what is the slowest I could run, and still make my time (most miles were 11:00 but some were hills or I planned to take nutrition, so those were a little slower) Then the fastest acceptable time for the mile would be like 0:30 faster. I added a 3rd column, with the total time I can be at, at that point in the race, and still be on track. This was a strategy so that I don’t mentally lose it when I’m tired and start catastrophizing, thinking I won’t make it because I was tired and doing stupid math in my head. Each mile marker, I could check my pace for that mile, but also check and make sure I was on track to hit my goal, no matter how that particular mile went. It was a good strategy and I might do it again in future races where I have a time goal.

I’ve said it before but I just love city races. The city really came out, especially in my neighborhood in the beginning miles, and also on the famous Main St of Manayunk about miles 19-21. It was so moving to see everybody out cheering after the past year and a half. I had a great time. The course was pretty flat except for 3 significant hills. But spectators stationed themselves at the bottom and top of the hills and there was so much crazy cheerleading that it didn’t seem so bad! Also I had a pace plan for the hills, as I said, which helped a lot.

It’s blasphemy here, but I think I’m starting to like Philly races more than Disney races even. Our City Hall is absolutely spectacular, and we have the real Independence Hall & Liberty Bell. The start & finish at the Art Museum is not too shabby either. Lots of other beautiful landmarks too. Maybe I’ll change my mind back when I get to Marathon Weekend!

I have a really weird asthma trigger during distance races: It’s not exercise-induced asthma exactly, it only comes on when I get really emotional, but only during a race or a long run, when I’ve been running a long time. And it’s bad, I feel like my airways close right up. I was thinking of brining an inhaler just in case I did in fact make my time, and I got too happy at the finish. But I forgot to bring it. There were already a few times during the race when I knew I was pretty on track to finally make my sub-5, and so many people were cheering on the course, that I did start to gasp a little. I crossed the finish, and I was in a little asthma trouble to begin with just with the thrill of making my goal. Then I go to pick up my medal, not paying attention, thinking it’s a bunch of volunteers, and Aliphine is right in front of me handing out medals! Bart Yasso was next to her, so I went to him to get the medal because, what does an Olympian want to give me a medal for. And Bart just feels more like a regular person. He lives near me and I see him on my trail all the time. He gives me my medal and says a few words, then he gestures to Aliphine who was somehow not mobbed by people and was like in our conversation! The next minute or two is a bit of a blur because I was so emotional. She held her arms out to hug me and I was just like, “Really?” and she said Yes. All I know is that when I hugged her, first, I blurted out “I love you!” Which wasn’t a lie, I follow all her social media and look up to her, but how embarrassing. Now I’m starting to feel my asthma come on. She tells me what a great job I did, congratulations, etc. And now I blurt out, “I just broke 5 hours for the first time!!!!” Now again, what a stupid thing to say to a woman who runs marathons at literally twice the pace I just did. But I am telling you, she was so genuinely warm and generous with her excitement for me over it. It was just a thrill. Also I think my nose was running like crazy while I was talking to her :crazy:

I stumbled away and my asthma *really* kicked in. I was like a fish out of water, gasping for air. Thankfully my DH found me right away and I was able to calm down over my excitement of finally reaching my goal, and having such a nice moment WITH AN OLYMPIAN.A sub-5 hour marathon is not a big deal to most people but it was everything to me. And I’ve been training for marathons for 8 years, and running for 30 years recreationally.

Of course, I have to thank Billy for making me plans over the past few years. My first marathon I ran with one of his plans knocked my previous marathon PR down 35 minutes, and I just knocked it down again. I want all us over-50-clubbers to know I just knocked THIRTY MINUTES off my previous PR at the age of FIFTY! It’s possible! The key is to have been slow to begin with, so there is a lot of room for improvement haha!

Huge congratulations! What an amazing race! And you had such an experience at the finish! So awesome!

You may have convinced me to run the Philly marathon sometime soon, lol.

Huge congratulations! What an amazing race! And you had such an experience at the finish! So awesome!

You may have convinced me to run the Philly marathon sometime soon, lol.
It was great. Absolutely great. Strong recommend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter