The Running Thread - 2021

How about socks? What are some suggestions for socks for a marathon? I usually wear no show tab socks. But would be okay with mini crew/crew socks if they are a game changer.

I'll echo @SheHulk. For me, I have to wear "quarter" Balega socks because my back heels have a tendency to strike my mid-heel bone on the opposite foot when running. So without the sock covering that area, I tend to have bloody ankles. So if the sock is working for you, then it's the right sock for you.

I had posted semi-recently about back pain / running -- thanks again for all the feedback. I've only run twice since a 5k in early August (at suggestion from my PT as I wrapped up a couple of months with him). I'm not sure there's been any vast improvement in my remaining back pain (at this point it's sciatica pain in the morning or if I sit in a crappy chair, etc), I decided to go back to a couch-to-10k program (it put me into week 4 I think given my existing exercise). So today was day 1 since the time change makes it light in the mornings again (our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks to I'm not a fan of running in the dark, even with a reflector vest).

I'll keep a journal about how my back feels each day and see if there is any connection to running that I can discern or if there's just a downward trend of any kind. Thanks again for all the feedback. I did get that Supple Leopard book from my library. Wow! It's gigantic! Haven't spent a ton of time with it yet though.

Socks will require a bit of trial and error. I have a few I really like that are different thicknesses and also have a few merino socks for the winter. Here are some that I really like but, like shoes, just because they work for me doesn't mean they will work for you:

Saucony
Asics

I also really like the Balega and Bombas socks but I get them locally, not through Amazon.
Man, y'all wear socks when you run??? I still have so much to learn... :earboy2:

If you watch the ITU the triathletes don't wear socks. I can't imagine it would be a good feeling for me but I'm sure they get used to it.

I had posted semi-recently about back pain / running -- thanks again for all the feedback. I've only run twice since a 5k in early August (at suggestion from my PT as I wrapped up a couple of months with him). I'm not sure there's been any vast improvement in my remaining back pain (at this point it's sciatica pain in the morning or if I sit in a crappy chair, etc), I decided to go back to a couch-to-10k program (it put me into week 4 I think given my existing exercise). So today was day 1 since the time change makes it light in the mornings again (our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks to I'm not a fan of running in the dark, even with a reflector vest).

I'll keep a journal about how my back feels each day and see if there is any connection to running that I can discern or if there's just a downward trend of any kind. Thanks again for all the feedback. I did get that Supple Leopard book from my library. Wow! It's gigantic! Haven't spent a ton of time with it yet though.
I’m back to running but back pain is an on-off struggle. I really need a new mattress so I’m hoping that helps.

also, I’m just resigned that I have to do a lot of core work to keep strong enough so running hasn’t so hard on my back

If you watch the ITU the triathletes don't wear socks. I can't imagine it would be a good feeling for me but I'm sure they get used to it.

I normally do not wear socks during shorter tris like sprint or super-sprint. Anything longer than that and my tri shoes start to bother my feet on the bike.

Looking for a couple of product recommendations for my kids for possible Christmas/birthday presents:

We live in N. Michigan and winter is usually very wintery. IDK if they will be interested in running outside during the snow months (aka December- early March) but they DESPISE the treadmill. They have UA coldgear shirts/hoodies/leggings already.

Jacket or vest for outdoor running? Anything *specific* (brand/model) while keeping in mind that they are growing teenagers and I won't even spend $100 on a jacket for myself. :scared:

Anyone know of a coupon code for goodr? I'm striking out with google...

Looking for a couple of product recommendations for my kids for possible Christmas/birthday presents:

We live in N. Michigan and winter is usually very wintery. IDK if they will be interested in running outside during the snow months (aka December- early March) but they DESPISE the treadmill. They have UA coldgear shirts/hoodies/leggings already.

Jacket or vest for outdoor running? Anything *specific* (brand/model) while keeping in mind that they are growing teenagers and I won't even spend $100 on a jacket for myself. :scared:

Can't help you with jacket/vest recommendation, but can I suggest good insulating/windproof hat or headband, gloves or glove/mitten combo and neck gaiter? These are the items that make or break a run for me (in SE Michigan). I have a windproof headband that is my goto (an old Asics model--have the hat version as well), since if my ears get cold, i get headaches. I have a smartwool Merino neck gaiter that I just plain use everyday in the winter for running and walking the dog. Also, for truly cold weather, I bought a pair of combo fingerless glove/overmitt. They are windproof and are better at keeping my hands warm than just gloves. Also Asics (Hmmm, I see a trend here).

I tend to run warm, so I don't really need anything different in the sock department. I have some smartwool socks, but they make my feet feel almost too warm! and I don't wear a jacket, but I do have an older NB Winter running shirt that is heavier, windproof and brushed ever so slightly insulated. Honestly, it's almost too warm for me unless it is 0-ish F.

Good luck finding things.

I have some interesting anecdotal info to share re: footwear and back pain...

For reference, I'm a natural forefoot runner: I land on the balls of my feet, lever my heels almost to the ground, then lift and toe off. Just my natural mechanics. I do run-walk intervals, and I walk in a normal heel-toe way. Long ago, I ran in low-drop shoes and was a happy runner: Newtons, the OG Altras, Kinvaras, a Mizuno zero-drop I forget the name of... but they all changed things up and the fit didn't work for me. For the past few years, I've been running in Brooks Glycerins - first the 16s, skipped the 17s, and lately the 18s. And I've had constant lower back, hip, and high hamstring pain, plus my feet ache horrifically after anything longer than 6 miles.

Last week, I bought a pair of Altra Torin 5s. The fit is SO GOOD! My heels are anchored and nothing is squished. But they're zero-drop, and I've been running in a 10mm drop. So I used the Altras to walk the parks during W&D, but ran in the Glycerins. After each race, I was in pain. A lot of pain. Wondering how I'll ever manage Dopey pain. But then I'd go walk around in the Altras and feel the pain lift. So today I did my first real run in the Altras - and what a difference! No foot pain. No back pain. No high hamstring or hip pain. My calves actually felt BETTER and I had no issues at all with the zero drop. (To be fair, I spend my non-running time barefoot or in Birkenstocks, and I'm a ballet dancer, so a zero-drop isn't much of a stretch for me.)

My core is plenty strong, but I do have scoliosis plus an auotimmune disease that enjoys attacking soft tissue, so YMMV... but sometimes, it really is a shoe that makes or solves a problem. Now I need to figure out what to do with the Glycerins I stockpiled and get me a second pair of Altras to rotate!

I am holding off on getting inserts for now. I purchased a new pair of shoes, Asics Novablast 2. When I tried them on, loved the cushioning and the spring back on the shoe. Felt like my foot was locked in pretty good also. Hoping to get a run in tomorrow with them. Went for a decently long run over the weekend and switched back to an older shoe that was worn down a little and back pain was pretty much non existent. Looks like I will use my other pair for short quick runs. Excited for the Novablast 2. If those turn out to be a shoe that works well for me, will have to grab another pair to rotate for the Dopey.

Race report 2021 Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon

The quick read is in the W&D thread
https://www.disboards.com/posts/63517571/It was a great race and the return of in person runDisney so
here is the long read version...

Preparation:
Leading up to this was a challenge, I had an `A` marathon only 5 weeks prior simply because when things were closed I signed up for whatever was available. Before I knew it my calendar was very busy. In the 5 weeks between the 2 races I had to fit in the virtual Boston, recovery, training, and taper. I took 5 days off, ran an easy 5 miles, walk/ran a very conservative virtual, took 3 days off and went back to my usual 5 miles/day. Two weeks prior was a 15 mile long run and then taper time. That was much needed as I was feeling right on the edge of a quad/flexor problem that was clearly from overuse.
The plan was to run an easy 10K Saturday followed by a full on max effort 1/2. Training wise I do almost all my runs as continous as it seems to help my endurance but when it comes to time my best half was 8'35"/mile running but 8'20" with run/walk.
With a primary goal of 8/mile and a shoot for the moon goal of BQ pace (7'40")I plugged in some numbers and decided on a 3:00/:30 run/walk with aggressive pacing right out of the start.

The course:
First off, huge thanks to the volunteers, in typical runDisney fashion, they were amazing and nothing would happen without them. Water stops were spaced near perfectly and each had plenty of people spread out to avoid any near collisions with runners trying to grab some hydration.
The weather was near perfect, especially for Florida. About 50 and dry, there was a good breeze on occasion but not the wind in your face, slow you down kind of weather.
I was initially worried about the course through AK as I was trying for a PR and I knew Pandora to be narrow, winding, and slippery if there was any moisture but that turned out to not be an issue, and it seems like this course had more park time than any in the past. It was my favorite to date, I don't remember any long, boring stretches even between parks.

The race:
I ran my conservative 10K the day before and did overdo the parks a little but after a good dinner, hot tub, stretching, and a good 6-1/2 hour sleep (love that clock change sometimes), I was ready.
Got to the s1 corral with the first people to insure a fairly decent start that would quickly spread out.
Stuck to my plan and went out fast, funny enough as a Stitch fanatic I decided to see if I could hit a run pace of 6'26". Got it, at some points saw high 5s and decided to slow up - fast is good, too fast, not so much. My paces are a little fast as my watch tracked the race as 13.5 miles but my first 3 miles came in at 7'07", 7'07", and 7'00"
Crazy fast for me, smashing my 5K PR at the first timing point.
The next 5K was a little slower with 7'10", 7'32", and 7'13" crushing my previous 10K PR as well!
Miles 7-10 I was starting to feel just how hard I was pushing but not enough to stop - 7'16", 7'18", 7'39", 7'38"
This is where I could feel the tired quad start to say "hey dummy, I don't like to work this hard" but that's ok, my wife was at mile 10.8 to cheer me on and with a quick pump of biofreeze at the mile 11 tent as well as the adrenalin of the boardwalk and EPCOT I kept at it cosintently - miles 11-14(13.5?) were 7'46", 7'28", 7'25", 7'32"

The end result - PR by 10 minutes!
Even better, after looking up my official result, 1:39:27 (7'36") I found that not only did I crush my goals, I got 3rd/389 in my age group. Never even dreamt of that!

My conclusion:
1 - I can qualify for Boston
2 - training slow to race fast works as long as it's consistent miles
3 - my Dopey plans have changed, after hitting a PR at every distance in the last 5 weeks I'm going to enjoy the races and the experience with no pressure on myself to get a time.
4 - I may need to consult the great @DopeyBadger to help plan. I tend to plug in distances and days that make sense to me and definitely work for me, but I would like to move toward running at slower paces with less walks. My previous PR was 1:49:23 with a 2:30/30 and this was 3:00/30. I tried to go with the Galloway pacers at Princess 2020 (4:00/30) and couldn't keep up. Of course that was a while ago.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I didn't intend to post a novel but I'm super excited for what was a great return to running Disney.

Even better, after looking up my official result, 1:39:27 (7'36") I found that not only did I crush my goals, I got 3rd/389 in my age group. Never even dreamt of that!
Whoa -- CONGRATS!!!! Glad to hear you had such a great time, and such a smashing result!

I have some interesting anecdotal info to share re: footwear and back pain...

For reference, I'm a natural forefoot runner: I land on the balls of my feet, lever my heels almost to the ground, then lift and toe off. Just my natural mechanics. I do run-walk intervals, and I walk in a normal heel-toe way. Long ago, I ran in low-drop shoes and was a happy runner: Newtons, the OG Altras, Kinvaras, a Mizuno zero-drop I forget the name of... but they all changed things up and the fit didn't work for me. For the past few years, I've been running in Brooks Glycerins - first the 16s, skipped the 17s, and lately the 18s. And I've had constant lower back, hip, and high hamstring pain, plus my feet ache horrifically after anything longer than 6 miles.

Last week, I bought a pair of Altra Torin 5s. The fit is SO GOOD! My heels are anchored and nothing is squished. But they're zero-drop, and I've been running in a 10mm drop. So I used the Altras to walk the parks during W&D, but ran in the Glycerins. After each race, I was in pain. A lot of pain. Wondering how I'll ever manage Dopey pain. But then I'd go walk around in the Altras and feel the pain lift. So today I did my first real run in the Altras - and what a difference! No foot pain. No back pain. No high hamstring or hip pain. My calves actually felt BETTER and I had no issues at all with the zero drop. (To be fair, I spend my non-running time barefoot or in Birkenstocks, and I'm a ballet dancer, so a zero-drop isn't much of a stretch for me.)

My core is plenty strong, but I do have scoliosis plus an auotimmune disease that enjoys attacking soft tissue, so YMMV... but sometimes, it really is a shoe that makes or solves a problem. Now I need to figure out what to do with the Glycerins I stockpiled and get me a second pair of Altras to rotate!

I am intrigued by this! I road run in Asics Cumulus, but I trail run in Altra Lone Peaks. I'm curious if I switch it up if it will help my issues...but then again, I never know when is the right time to switch things up, especially coming off an injury.

I hate to say it but all the good winter running gear I have isn't cheap but it is worth it. I've been out below zero with no real problems but the gear that keeps me warm while still being breathable is an investment. Here are some staples of my collection but I also run hot so it has to be pretty cold before I'm in a jacket. I took a look at my log from last winter and on a day it was 29 with a wind chill of 21 I was just in my Tracksmith waffle layer (linked below). It had to be in the teens before I was in a jacket.

Smartwool 250 Base Layer Quarter Zip
Smartwool 250 Reversible Headband
Arc'Teryx Venta Gloves
Tracksmith Fells Waffle Layer
Helly Hansen Lifa Merino Midweight
UA ColdGear Compression Mock This one is the least expensive and is quite warm but I prefer merino wool. The added bonus with this one is you can get bright colors for winter running.

I also wear tights for winter running but I've had most of them for a while. One is Hind, one New balance, and lastly a pair of CWX tights. When the time comes for new tights I'm going with a few from Tracksmith or Arc'Teryx but for now I'm good.

I am intrigued by this! I road run in Asics Cumulus, but I trail run in Altra Lone Peaks. I'm curious if I switch it up if it will help my issues...but then again, I never know when is the right time to switch things up, especially coming off an injury.
I totally get that - I kept telling myself to suck it up and just get through Dopey before fiddling with a different shoe... but I was in such agony after my 16-miler, I thought there was no way I'll get through the rest of training, let alone the races: nothing could be worse than the pain I was already in. We'll see how I feel after pulling a 9-miler in the Altras, though lol!

4 - I may need to consult the great @DopeyBadger to help plan. I tend to plug in distances and days that make sense to me and definitely work for me, but I would like to move toward running at slower paces with less walks. My previous PR was 1:49:23 with a 2:30/30 and this was 3:00/30. I tried to go with the Galloway pacers at Princess 2020 (4:00/30) and couldn't keep up. Of course that was a while ago.

Awesome job on the race! What a wonderful feeling to pull off what you did and a testament to what you've been doing.

Based on the HM of 1:39, I would put your marathon probabilities at the following (based on this):

6% of runners run a marathon in 3:27 or less
10% of runners run a marathon in 3:29 or less
25% of runners run a marathon in 3:33 or less
50% or runners run a marathon in 3:41 or less

Continuous training paces:
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 2.01.10 PM.png

80% of training at 8:37 min/mile or slower

Run/Walk pacing:
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 2.01.05 PM.png

If doing an 18 min/mile walk pace, then my calculator suggests a marathon ratio of 4 min/30 sec at 7:24/18:00 or 90/30 at 6:37/18:00.

Race report 2021 Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon

The quick read is in the W&D thread
https://www.disboards.com/posts/63517571/It was a great race and the return of in person runDisney so
here is the long read version...

Preparation:
Leading up to this was a challenge, I had an `A` marathon only 5 weeks prior simply because when things were closed I signed up for whatever was available. Before I knew it my calendar was very busy. In the 5 weeks between the 2 races I had to fit in the virtual Boston, recovery, training, and taper. I took 5 days off, ran an easy 5 miles, walk/ran a very conservative virtual, took 3 days off and went back to my usual 5 miles/day. Two weeks prior was a 15 mile long run and then taper time. That was much needed as I was feeling right on the edge of a quad/flexor problem that was clearly from overuse.
The plan was to run an easy 10K Saturday followed by a full on max effort 1/2. Training wise I do almost all my runs as continous as it seems to help my endurance but when it comes to time my best half was 8'35"/mile running but 8'20" with run/walk.
With a primary goal of 8/mile and a shoot for the moon goal of BQ pace (7'40")I plugged in some numbers and decided on a 3:00/:30 run/walk with aggressive pacing right out of the start.

The course:
First off, huge thanks to the volunteers, in typical runDisney fashion, they were amazing and nothing would happen without them. Water stops were spaced near perfectly and each had plenty of people spread out to avoid any near collisions with runners trying to grab some hydration.
The weather was near perfect, especially for Florida. About 50 and dry, there was a good breeze on occasion but not the wind in your face, slow you down kind of weather.
I was initially worried about the course through AK as I was trying for a PR and I knew Pandora to be narrow, winding, and slippery if there was any moisture but that turned out to not be an issue, and it seems like this course had more park time than any in the past. It was my favorite to date, I don't remember any long, boring stretches even between parks.

The race:
I ran my conservative 10K the day before and did overdo the parks a little but after a good dinner, hot tub, stretching, and a good 6-1/2 hour sleep (love that clock change sometimes), I was ready.
Got to the s1 corral with the first people to insure a fairly decent start that would quickly spread out.
Stuck to my plan and went out fast, funny enough as a Stitch fanatic I decided to see if I could hit a run pace of 6'26". Got it, at some points saw high 5s and decided to slow up - fast is good, too fast, not so much. My paces are a little fast as my watch tracked the race as 13.5 miles but my first 3 miles came in at 7'07", 7'07", and 7'00"
Crazy fast for me, smashing my 5K PR at the first timing point.
The next 5K was a little slower with 7'10", 7'32", and 7'13" crushing my previous 10K PR as well!
Miles 7-10 I was starting to feel just how hard I was pushing but not enough to stop - 7'16", 7'18", 7'39", 7'38"
This is where I could feel the tired quad start to say "hey dummy, I don't like to work this hard" but that's ok, my wife was at mile 10.8 to cheer me on and with a quick pump of biofreeze at the mile 11 tent as well as the adrenalin of the boardwalk and EPCOT I kept at it cosintently - miles 11-14(13.5?) were 7'46", 7'28", 7'25", 7'32"

My conclusion:
1 - I can qualify for Boston
2 - training slow to race fast works as long as it's consistent miles
3 - my Dopey plans have changed, after hitting a PR at every distance in the last 5 weeks I'm going to enjoy the races and the experience with no pressure on myself to get a time.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I didn't intend to post a novel but I'm super excited for what was a great return to running Disney.

Wow, huge congratulations! That's fantastic new PR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter