The Running Thread -- 2022

Anybody have advice for running a half much slower than your usual/ possible pace? I'm running a half in 2 weeks with a friend where it will be her first and I agreed to stick with her. She's aiming for a 12:15-12:30 pace, but my typical running pace is around 10:00, sometimes faster (I'm in the midst of training for the full in January and my LR pace is 10:35.) Yesterday I did 9 miles at 12:00 pace and it hurt my legs far more than much longer runs and I got multiple blisters (I'm assuming from a difference in stride, foot strike, etc.). I'm confident I'll be able to finish the half and stick with her, but any tips for making it manageable & less painful for me would be appreciated!
If you are at a point in training where you can do the HM on tired legs, that might work. My husband is about your friends pace and we did princess weekend together. I did the challenge and he did the HM. I raced the 10k pretty hard so the morning of the HM hitting the slower pace for 13 miles felt more natural. We had planned to start together then I was going to leave if I needed but with the hard racing the day before and the very early wake up call, my legs weren’t going to be fast even if I wanted them to be. We also planned to walk the aid stations and those walk breaks probably helped too. When we run together at home I have found it hard to run at his pace For long periods of time. It strains my legs and feet and my gait it all wrong. I already have a pretty high cadence so it’s tough to shorten up much more.

Anybody have advice for running a half much slower than your usual/ possible pace? I'm running a half in 2 weeks with a friend where it will be her first and I agreed to stick with her. She's aiming for a 12:15-12:30 pace, but my typical running pace is around 10:00, sometimes faster (I'm in the midst of training for the full in January and my LR pace is 10:35.) Yesterday I did 9 miles at 12:00 pace and it hurt my legs far more than much longer runs and I got multiple blisters (I'm assuming from a difference in stride, foot strike, etc.). I'm confident I'll be able to finish the half and stick with her, but any tips for making it manageable & less painful for me would be appreciated!
I know that others might have much greater insight, but I would suggest that utilize run-walk in order to slow down your pace.
SAFD: My mantra is not family friendly 😆
Not family friendly...now I'm intrigued! Do tell. :stitch:

I don’t know if it’s technically a mantra, but during any difficult times I remind myself that “I get to”. I don’t have to do it. I get to. And after working to rehab my knee for months this year, it means even more now.

I have a question for the Canadians on here. Where do you buy your fuel from? The only place locally that I know carries any fuel is the running room, and their selection is really poor. I’d like to experiment with some other options, but I’m not sure the best place to look.

I don’t know if it’s technically a mantra, but during any difficult times I remind myself that “I get to”. I don’t have to do it. I get to. And after working to rehab my knee for months this year, it means even more now.

I have a question for the Canadians on here. Where do you buy your fuel from? The only place locally that I know carries any fuel is the running room, and their selection is really poor. I’d like to experiment with some other options, but I’m not sure the best place to look.
We have a few other sports store that carry good selection in Montreal but when they were all closed in 2020, I ordered from triboutique.ca and directly from Maurten.

I order from Black Toe Running in Toronto.

I've ordered from MEC, but they only carry a few brands like GU.

The only place I found for Tailwind was Amazon/The Podium Shop

To all the Pennsylvanians on the board: I'm going to Pittsburgh for a work conference next week. Any good places to run you could recommend?

Using greatruns.com, I found the Three Rivers Heritage Trail which seems really awesome. Anywhere else that would be of interest for a first-time visitor to Pittsburgh?

To all the Pennsylvanians on the board: I'm going to Pittsburgh for a work conference next week. Any good places to run you could recommend?

Using greatruns.com, I found the Three Rivers Heritage Trail which seems really awesome. Anywhere else that would be of interest for a first-time visitor to Pittsburgh?
I'm on the other side of the state -- I think that's a @Guidman question!

ATTQOTD: Not usually, but this morning it was "suck it up" when I really wanted to quit during the tempo section, and Tiana singing "almost there" during the cooldown.
One of the commentators during the New Balance Mile described Laura Muir as "willing to go into the pain cave" and that's been something sticking with me recently.

Yeah, I'd recommend the Heritage Trail. The footprint of downtown is pretty small so I'd say either crossing one the bridges toward the North Shore (the area of the stadiums) or cross over one to the South Side area, you can get a good 7-8 mile loop doing that. If you're feeling more adventurous or are looking for more miles, I'd suggest running up towards Pitt. It'd be about a 9-12 mile loop from downtown.

Been a while since I posted here. Having a one year old leaves little Dis time. But question for all treadmill users - we got a treadmill in February and noticed this week our deck has a 6 inch crack down the center. It’s under warranty so it will get replaced, but my husband and I wonder if this is a normal issue or if we got a lemon. Also wondering if we should be doing someone to avoid this. Our treadmill get heavy use (like daily use) as with said one year old, it is just easier for our schedules and I feel safer (this is a me issue, I live in a very safe area).

Adding another home fitness equipment question...

I'm ready to dump my 25yo treadmill: it's still going, amazingly, but it's LOUD and uncomfortable and I'm genuinely afraid the belt could snap at any moment while I'm using it. I don't want to replace it with another treadmill because I really don't want to take up that volume of space anymore, and I'm considering a stationary bike instead.

My questions for those who use stationary bikes:
Do you feel like you get an equivalent workout on them, as compared to running? I know it wont be identical, of course, but do you finish 30-45 minutes with that feel-good, post-run kinda vibe?!
Are there best practices for swapping a short ride for a run? Do you try to hit the same HR ranges, for instance? Mix a ride in with some other indoor exercise? Are there pace equivalencies or something?

I'm no longer doing very long distances, and will still only do my long runs outdoors. And most of my short runs, too. I just need an indoor alternative for stormy days when lightning or monsoon-like rain prevents an outdoor run.

Been a while since I posted here. Having a one year old leaves little Dis time. But question for all treadmill users - we got a treadmill in February and noticed this week our deck has a 6 inch crack down the center. It’s under warranty so it will get replaced, but my husband and I wonder if this is a normal issue or if we got a lemon. Also wondering if we should be doing someone to avoid this. Our treadmill get heavy use (like daily use) as with said one year old, it is just easier for our schedules and I feel safer (this is a me issue, I live in a very safe area).
I had a NordicTrack treadmill for over a decade and although we made some repairs on it, that certainly wasn't one of them. That treadmill passed away from age more or less. The Spirit treadmill that I've had for almost a decade now has had zero problems.

I really cannot imagine a deck cracking like that so soon. Unless your family members are all sumo wrestlers jumping on it! That really seems like a flaw in the original deck that gave way.

I agree with @avondale -- sounds like a structural issue that maybe started out small and got big. I've had my ProForm for almost two years and nothing even close to that has happened. I live in a condo building with a gym that has 20-year-old treadmills that regularly get beat up, and nothing like that has happened with them, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter