The Running Thread--2024

January
77 running miles
6 walking miles to complete half of a half

The bulk of those miles were Dopey to Dumbo. I took a week off after we got back from CA then had surgery on the 25th. Folks, listen to your doctors and do recovery correctly the first time around. Fixing stuff can be much more painful and recovery a lot harder.

Paging @camaker and @DopeyBadger and any one else that can talk me out of (or into) something. Looking very seriously at Blackbeard’s Revenge 100K and have some questions as for as how much running I can fit in to prepare. It’s in only about 7 weeks and I’d feel better with a 3-4 month plan. On one hand I remember how hard it was to go from a half to a full and now I’m looking at more than doubling that… oh boy. On the other I love Dopey and go for a PR in the marathon on tired legs, and go another 10 without issue after it’s done. Haven’t crunched actual numbers yet but a quick first glance was aiming for 13-14 min/mile avg with 11-12 the first half and 14-16 as I tire and spend more time at aid stations eating and recovering. Thinking of running 5 minutes/walking 1 to make it happen. While that sounds good on paper, not sure about reality. Think I need to decide real soon and push pretty hard for the next month but feel that it could happen. @BikeFan I think you were talking about this one, have you ran/are you running it?
Happy to listen to anyone’s advice, thanks
Jumped the gun on this one. Thanks for the information but I’m going to have to put this down as a destination race someday. I’m ready for the challenge but have run into a problem I’m sure happens to many -
I can’t afford it
After listing equipment I need, fuel for the 1200 mile round trip, hotels, meals, and the race itself, there was a bit of sticker shock. Add to that W&D registration next month followed by Dopey in April I’m going to go back to looking at a couple marathons much closer to home.

Remind me not to make a big move during Disney training 🤣. I’ll be fine for Princess since I’ve had a good training stretch since DL but this weekend has been the big packing push. I got my run done yesterday but I skipped yoga Saturday and strength training today. I’ll be able to get back on board next week but this hasn’t been good timing.

I’m starting to reconsider my Cherry Blossom entry and will make a decision on that after getting advice from the realtor. If she says put the house on the market this spring, then I’m even more of a crunch and something’s gotta give.

QOTD for the women in the group: What's your favorite sports bra?

I've had several of mine for a couple of years now, and for whatever reason they're starting to chafe. I wasn't that enamored of them even before this, so I might want to try something new and would love any recs. Preferably ones with actual bra sizes, as the S/M/L sizing does not work for me 😅 (though it might help someone else!).

I've had several of mine for a couple of years now, and for whatever reason they're starting to chafe. I wasn't that enamored of them even before this, so I might want to try something new and would love any recs. Preferably ones with actual bra sizes, as the S/M/L sizing does not work for me 😅 (though it might help someone else!).
I wear Puma sports bras from Costco, but they only come in S/M/L sizing. I'm the opposite and cannot do numbered sizing anymore. :D I have both racer back and strap styles (that convert to crossback, which is what I use), and prefer the latter. The racerback ones are comfortable, but they have a plastic piece on the front that can chafe, so I have to make sure I vaseline up in that spot.

They're the cheapest bras but I like them way more than the more expensive ones I got at Dick's.

Anita Air Control Delta Pad. I had been running for literally 30 years before I got these bras about 4 years ago, and they are a game changer. I will never use a different bra again. They are pricey (to me, $80-90) but nothing moves if you know what I mean.

Panache Sport (UK band/cup sizing) comes w/ or w/o underwire. They all have the option to be regular straps or hook in the back to be racer-back.

My favorite bras are Brooks but I also acknowledge that they are pricey. I like their underwire bra and their scoopback bra. I tend to favor bras that open in the back (as the whole trying to get out of a straight jacket feel while sweaty is not my vibe.... 🤣 ). Like you, @WillRunForPizza I like bras that are sized in bra sizes.....

Last edited:

Also we are told all the time that "sports bras shouldn't celebrate a birthday"... Yours might be a fine style for you, just stretched out.

You learn something new everyday!

I wear the Lululemon Energy Bra and I've had some for years but never thought of changing them. I figured they would rip or something 😁
I violate that "no birthday" rule all the time. Just propaganda for Big Bra :crazy:
But it's definitely true that when I start experiencing chafing, it's because the bra has stretched out and is now loose.

Also we are told all the time that "sports bras shouldn't celebrate a birthday"... Yours might be a fine style for you, just stretched out.
I’ll admit I don’t follow that. I’m 32A so I’m not as picky, as long as I still feel my bras have support, I keep wearing them. Funny enough I got two sports bras last year, exactl same style, and one didn’t feel as supportive. That became a yoga bra.

I mostly use Anita Women's Wire Free Sports Bra 5529 and occasionally Shock Absorber Bra.

Past 10k, they all may chafe on my back and I use tape to prevent it.

I have tricky sizing -- small band, large cup -- so I also stick to actual bra sizing. My favorite was the lululemon Enlite until they went to front closure, then I switched to the Energy. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. And if you don't care so much about the color they do sometimes show up on the We Made Too Much section.

Anita Air Control Delta Pad. I had been running for literally 30 years before I got these bras about 4 years ago, and they are a game changer. I will never use a different bra again. They are pricey (to me, $80-90) but nothing moves if you know what I mean.
Because I use the same brand but a different model, I went to check the Anita Air Control. So many colors! Now, I want one per race of the Springtime Challenge 😆

But it's definitely true that when I start experiencing chafing, it's because the bra has stretched out and is now loose.
That was my suspicion too.

I mostly use Anita Women's Wire Free Sports Bra 5529 and occasionally Shock Absorber Bra.

Past 10k, they all may chafe on my back and I use tape to prevent it.
Seems like a popular brand - I will take a look!

My favorite bras are Brooks but I also acknowledge that they are pricey. I like their underwire bra and their scoopback bra. I tend to favor bras that open in the back (as the whole trying to get out of a straight jacket feel while sweaty is not my vibe.... 🤣 ). Like you, @WillRunForPizza I like bras that are sized in bra sizes.....
I have a couple of Brooks bras that have a cell phone pocket in the back - I sometimes use them for race days because of that, but I find that they don't fit me very well because they combine cup sizes.

Panache Sport (UK band/cup sizing) comes w/ or w/o underwire. They all have the option to be regular straps or hook in the back to be racer-back.
That's what I have now - I like the flexibility but don't find them all that comfortable 😕

I have tricky sizing -- small band, large cup -- so I also stick to actual bra sizing. My favorite was the lululemon Enlite until they went to front closure, then I switched to the Energy. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. And if you don't care so much about the color they do sometimes show up on the We Made Too Much section.
I have the same sizing issue, so these might be worth checking out!

Sports bras is one area where I do not cut costs. I try and wait for sales though. I have a very small band size, but a large cup size. I have yet to find a sports bra by band/cup size that works for me. I have tried the sports bras by bra size recommended to me by the ladies at A Bra That Fits and Boob or Bust and hated all of them 😂

For short easy pace runs I usually wear Lululemon Energy Long Line. I like the thicker band for the under bust. For longer runs and horseback riding I wear Shefit Flex or Ultimate. It has an adjustable band for the underbust. The shoulder straps are also adjustable and can be worn in the traditional X pattern or switched to the H pattern. I prefer a front closure over a sports bra with clasps in the back. It’s easier for me to get out of with my bum shoulder. The ultimate isn’t for everyone. My daughter says it feels like a straight jacket, but it’s my favorite 🤷‍♀️

ETA: Amazon has Shefit as a try before you buy option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter