The Running Thread--2024

@SarahDisney Welcome back! I had already taken notice that you were here!šŸ„°

@nancipants DH and I generally build in races during training: Lake Hartwell Dam Run 5k or 10k in May, PTRR 10k in July, ATL10 miler in Oct., W&D 5k and Challenge to get in back to back practice in November, as well as ATL Thanksgiving half. We also have a few local 5ks in our hometown. These races keep me looking forward to a race on the calendar so I have a ā€œreasonā€ to keep going until January!

And to keep things interesting, I usually spend time in June at Ponce Inlet, FL and do runs on the beach at sunrise. And for the last few years, we have been traveling to Chattanooga just before Christmas to do our last long training run on the Tennessee Riverwalk as a change of pace and a reward for completing the tough part just before the taper!
Your own dam race at Lake Hartwell and then another dam race in Chattanooga.
Soooo: just one dam thing after another...

;-)

Does anyone else run in Sparkle Skirts/Bolder Athletic Skirts? I just saw on their Facebook page that they're going to close after Princess Half Marathon Expo... Really sad as I've been running in them for the last few years and I'm so used to running in them now (comfortable plus I can stuff so much into the pockets). Plus I love running in skirts, they cover up my problem areas so I look nicer in them than I do in shorts!

I've ordered a couple more skirts from them but looks like I might have to start looking into alternatives for running now...

I briefly used a Flipbelt a few years ago which I remember was OK for keys and cards and one phone and a Flipbelt branded water bottle, but don't think it will fit quite as much as what I sometimes bring out with me on runs these days (2 phones, keys, cards, some cash, foldable shopping bag in case I stop by the supermarket on my way home, poncho in case it rains, tissues, occasionally a tiny water bottle, occasionally my airpods case).

So asking for suggestions... Wondering what do you guys use to carry all your stuff with you when running? And are there any other brands of running skirts I should take a look at?

Does anyone else run in Sparkle Skirts/Bolder Athletic Skirts? I just saw on their Facebook page that they're going to close after Princess Half Marathon Expo... Really sad as I've been running in them for the last few years and I'm so used to running in them now (comfortable plus I can stuff so much into the pockets). Plus I love running in skirts, they cover up my problem areas so I look nicer in them than I do in shorts!

I've ordered a couple more skirts from them but looks like I might have to start looking into alternatives for running now...

I briefly used a Flipbelt a few years ago which I remember was OK for keys and cards and one phone and a Flipbelt branded water bottle, but don't think it will fit quite as much as what I sometimes bring out with me on runs these days (2 phones, keys, cards, some cash, foldable shopping bag in case I stop by the supermarket on my way home, poncho in case it rains, tissues, occasionally a tiny water bottle, occasionally my airpods case).

So asking for suggestions... Wondering what do you guys use to carry all your stuff with you when running? And are there any other brands of running skirts I should take a look at?

I have run in their skirts since I started doing Disney races. I'm super sad to see them go, but I think they overextended themselves with custom orders and too many products outside the skirts.

For costumes where their skirts don't work, I found the Brooks Method shorts (5" inseam) are the closest thing to what is under the Bolder skirts. Two huge thigh pockets and one in the waistband that hold everything, and they don't move. The 5" are short enough not to show under most skirts and tutus, but they also make longer lengths and capris if you prefer those. The only drawback is the waist pocket doesn't zip and you can't turn the pocket front or back (it's always in back). I use the Bolder skirts or those shorts under costumes interchangeably.

Yes. Iā€™ve been wearing them for 9 years - pretty much my entire running life. So sad. I do have a lot, so they will probably last a while. But Iā€™m not sure what I will do when I eventually need new stuff.

For costumes where their skirts don't work, I found the Brooks Method shorts (5" inseam) are the closest thing to what is under the Bolder skirts. Two huge thigh pockets and one in the waistband that hold everything, and they don't move. The 5" are short enough not to show under most skirts and tutus, but they also make longer lengths and capris if you prefer those. The only drawback is the waist pocket doesn't zip and you can't turn the pocket front or back (it's always in back). I use the Bolder skirts or those shorts under costumes interchangeably.
Soooo....these (Brooks) are on sale right now (not that I need any new shorts!) and I'm wondering if they have a non-slip thing on the inside of the leg? It doesn't say on the website that they do, and I know this is something that some brands are just starting to add....any bike shorts I wear ride up my thighs unless they have that grip-band and that massively limits my options.

Yes. Iā€™ve been wearing them for 9 years - pretty much my entire running life. So sad. I do have a lot, so they will probably last a while. But Iā€™m not sure what I will do when I eventually need new stuff.
there are some other individual makers that can sew almost exactly the same thing. They pop up in some of the weekend-specific fabric orders through DGF (I think? something like that?) that you can order the fabric from the pre-order and have it shipped to a sewist to make it into something for you, and I've seen a lots of pics of skirts that look exactly like a bolder skirt in those fb posts. I think that iglowrunning also makes skirts that are pretty similar.

Soooo....these (Brooks) are on sale right now (not that I need any new shorts!) and I'm wondering if they have a non-slip thing on the inside of the leg? It doesn't say on the website that they do, and I know this is something that some brands are just starting to add....any bike shorts I wear ride up my thighs unless they have that grip-band and that massively limits my options.
I just happened to have a pair nearby, doing laundry from race weekends. They do NOT have the silicone grip band. For the record, I have not personally had any issues with them riding up, but ymmv.

I have some but rarely wear them anymore: I never loved them, but somehow got sucked into the cult lol! I keep meaning to list most of them for sale on the FB resale groups but never get around to it. Might be the right time now!

For a while, I ran in Skirt Sports skorts and still have a pile of those. They fit me better and had the leg and back pockets I wanted. Most of them have stretched to the point of not fitting well anymore after many years of use. And they went of out of business, too.

Lately, Iā€™ve been wearing Athleta bike-type shorts (but minus the padding - these are meant for non-biking) that have leg pockets and a back pocket. Theyā€™re pricey, but I bought them when there was a sale. Ditto for capris and tights - all Athleta, some Iā€™ve been using weekly for over a decade. Iā€™m much happier without the extra fabric of skirts these days, and just do not care anymore how I might look in them.

Recently I discovered a brand called CRZ YOGA on Amazon and WOW! High quality, great prices, and easily the most comfortable shorts and capris Iā€™ve ever had. They have leg pockets, but no back pocket: I donā€™t need the extra pocket for most runs, but can add a little Fitletic waist belt with a pouch if needed - thatā€™s my go-to t hold ID and a car key in races. Anyway, I havenā€™t looked but wouldnā€˜t be surprised if they make skirts, too.

Beyond clothing, I carry a handheld bottle that has a little pouch perfect for holding lip balm and an inhaler. Thatā€™s all I need: gels go in a leg pocket, phone in the other, keys/ID into a back zip pocket or waist pouch, lip balm and inhaler in bottle pouch.

Aw, this is a bummer. I'm not buying new clothing at the moment but I've always loved their stuff and I figured I'd probably buy my next new skirt from them.

Most of my skirts are from Runningskirts but I find that their shorts chafe a bit (I always wear capris/leggings underneath so not a big deal for me but the one time I wore one without capris it was not a fun experience). But I'm also weirdly between sizes so YMMV.

Lately, Iā€™ve been wearing Athleta bike-type shorts (but minus the padding - these are meant for non-biking) that have leg pockets and a back pocket. Theyā€™re pricey, but I bought them when there was a sale. Ditto for capris and tights - all Athleta, some Iā€™ve been using weekly for over a decade. Iā€™m much happier without the extra fabric of skirts these days, and just do not care anymore how I might look in them.

Recently I discovered a brand called CRZ YOGA on Amazon and WOW! High quality, great prices, and easily the most comfortable shorts and capris Iā€™ve ever had. They have leg pockets, but no back pocket: I donā€™t need the extra pocket for most runs, but can add a little Fitletic waist belt with a pouch if needed - thatā€™s my go-to t hold ID and a car key in races. Anyway, I havenā€™t looked but wouldnā€˜t be surprised if they make skirts, too.
I'm also a fan of Athleta, so I'll have to check CRZ YOGA out!

OMGā€”SO MANY COLORS! And yes, they do make skirts too. They even have thermal leggings! Good thing I can get Amazon GCs from my health insurance rewards program šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

CRZ makes some decent Lululemon dupes. I have a couple of their tank tops.

I forgot to quote the poster, butā€¦ā€¦.

I have a few Bolder skirts, but I always found it to be too much material and kind of thick for FL running. I prefer my Lululemon skirts for the lightweight fabric and drawstring waist. I can usually stuff quite a bit in the leg pockets. If I am not wearing a skirt, I tend to run in biker type shorts with pockets or capris/leggings with pockets.

I used a Flipbelt with the zipper pocket for the WDW marathon and was able to stuff 9 Huma gels, an uncrustable sandwich, a king sized PayDay bar, body glide, chapstick, Tums, hand warmers and a travel tube of Tylenol in there. I put my phone in the leg pocket of my capris. I used the on course water/powerade, but I could have stuffed the flipbelt water bottle in there too.

@sky13 i have several Dona Jo skirts. Similar to Boulder, but no silicone grip. Several lengths/styles. Good quality.
I love Dona Jo skirts. A little too much. They are expensive by my standards but I love them and would buy more if I could find reasons to wear them outside of running. Athleta is my other major go-to, those "bike" shorts with the pockets that @PrincessV mentioned.

I used a Flipbelt with the zipper pocket for the WDW marathon and was able to stuff 9 Huma gels, an uncrustable sandwich, a king sized PayDay bar, body glide, chapstick, Tums, hand warmers and a travel tube of Tylenol in there. I put my phone in the leg pocket of my capris. I used the on course water/powerade, but I could have stuffed the flipbelt water bottle in there too.
The belts from Naked hold tons of stuff too

https://nakedsportsinnovations.com/products/naked-running-band?variant=40776613167284

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter