The Running Thread--2024

I have a few Bolder skirts, but I always found it to be too much material and kind of thick for FL running.
Yes, this! There are maybe 5 days a year when it’s a little too cool for my hot weather running clothes, but a little too warm for capris - that’s the weird sweet spot for a Sparkle/Bolder skirt lol!

Assuming I get in to the marathon next year, I’m already trying to figure out if I should incorporate some races to do during training as part of long runs. I’d wait until after registration to decide, but Wine and Dine registration happens first. 🤪 I’m also considering the Space Coast half. I have no idea planning wise what I should be considering so any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
I just did that with the Disneyland half. It actually just happened to fall on the same day my training plan for the LA marathon (Higdon advanced 1) called for a half marathon. I’ve also done that with other half marathons to replace some of the long weekend runs. It definitely helps break up the training and make it more fun. I just had to change expectations and realize that I wouldn’t be running those half marathons for time, but at my long run pace. I picked out some races with beautiful courses and had a great time just taking it easy to get the miles in. And one time, when my training plan called for 18, I just kept running after the race was over to get the full mileage in 😂

It's been cold in DFW, but with highs in the 20s it hasn't been too bad for running outdoors. I've definitely shifted my schedule around a bit to run in the afternoons rather than early morning, when it's in the low teens!

It's been snowy all week here in Maryland with temps below freezing 7 out of 8 days. It's treadmill time for me :sad1:

It's been cold in DFW, but with highs in the 20s it hasn't been too bad for running outdoors. I've definitely shifted my schedule around a bit to run in the afternoons rather than early morning, when it's in the low teens!

Let me know when you have 7 out of 8 days below zero and I may start having some sympathy for you. :P
This is why I spend winters with my parents in Florida...

Below zero and snowy here but I've been layering up and hitting the roads. I loath the treadmill so it takes more than some cold and snow to force me onto it. Usually it is being the only one home so I have to stay in while my son is asleep upstairs.

How do you flatten out your race bib? My Goofy bib took a beating between the races and the rain. I just ordered a bib holder so I can display my bibs but that one is really rough.

Let me know when you have 7 out of 8 days below zero and I may start having some sympathy for you. :P
It's been below zero Celsius. Does that count? 🤣 We haven't been above freezing now in about 10 days. Which, I know, it's winter, but I live in Maryland! Also, it's really hard to go out when it's not consistently cold. One week will be summer, another winter, then fall. If it's above 20F I'll normally run outside, but the snow just makes it yucky (and slippery).

I am so fighting every urge to keep myself form making a post on the rD subreddit that will definitely get me banned considering the last conversation went about wheelchairs and safety. After finding out another wheels had to be admitted to the hospital because of injuries she incurred during Dopey because of a runner cutting her off and her having to bail.

This is exactly why we need people to pay attention to our warnings. Because sure we’ll often crash ourselves before injuring someone else because we know how our devices move.

And thank every deity that the worst injury I’ve gotten is a scrapped heel from Springtime. But we’re not asking people to give us room because we want too. We’re asking so no one gets injured.

But we wouldn’t even need to do that if people would give us the 5 seconds to realize that we know what’s safest for us. So yes moving when we ask to move is the better option. Your two feet of inconvenience to take a sidestep makes more of a difference for both of our safety.

Whilst sitting here watching TV, I jotted down my guide to the Dopey based on my experience and pasted it into my training journal.
Not sure if anyone will find it helpful, but hopefully someone can glean something from it that will help them in completing a Dopey (or even a Goofy) or to decide to do one.
Note that I'm in no danger of being a top finisher in the Dopey challenge, or even for any of the races, so IMHO, if I can do it, most anyone else should be able to as well (yes, barring ailments or physical issues). As Ted Lasso would say, you need to believe...

I just did that with the Disneyland half. It actually just happened to fall on the same day my training plan for the LA marathon (Higdon advanced 1) called for a half marathon. I’ve also done that with other half marathons to replace some of the long weekend runs. It definitely helps break up the training and make it more fun. I just had to change expectations and realize that I wouldn’t be running those half marathons for time, but at my long run pace. I picked out some races with beautiful courses and had a great time just taking it easy to get the miles in. And one time, when my training plan called for 18, I just kept running after the race was over to get the full mileage in 😂
Also doing LA marathon! (and using this wknd's Rose Bowl half as catered long run). Have you run it before?

CRZ makes some decent Lululemon dupes. I have a couple of their tank tops.

I forgot to quote the poster, but…….

I have a few Bolder skirts, but I always found it to be too much material and kind of thick for FL running. I prefer my Lululemon skirts for the lightweight fabric and drawstring waist. I can usually stuff quite a bit in the leg pockets. If I am not wearing a skirt, I tend to run in biker type shorts with pockets or capris/leggings with pockets.

I used a Flipbelt with the zipper pocket for the WDW marathon and was able to stuff 9 Huma gels, an uncrustable sandwich, a king sized PayDay bar, body glide, chapstick, Tums, hand warmers and a travel tube of Tylenol in there. I put my phone in the leg pocket of my capris. I used the on course water/powerade, but I could have stuffed the flipbelt water bottle in there too.
I have an old non-zippered flipbelt that I’ve used for years and is great for phone/water but I always struggle stuffing a bunch of pouches in there too. I just recently bought a new zippered one and was surprised how much more it holds! Not sure if it’s the zipper design or just a newer model, but I’m very happy with it so far. It definitely seems wider.
Also doing LA marathon! (and using this wknd's Rose Bowl half as catered long run). Have you run it before?
i have watched it as a spectator but this will be my first time running it. I’m worried about the out and back and hills at the end! Have you ran it before?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions for running skirts/shorts/belts! At least I now have some ideas for where to look next and it's nice to know that there are alternatives that look fairly similar out there!

Though the frustrating thing for me though is that I know my exact size with the Sparkle/Bolder skirts but will now have to figure out what size fits me with other brands especially if I can't try before buying them...

I have run in their skirts since I started doing Disney races. I'm super sad to see them go, but I think they overextended themselves with custom orders and too many products outside the skirts.
I actually got really confused when the product line expanded and they added custom orders! Was nice that they had lots of styles but all I really needed was the swing style skirts...

there are some other individual makers that can sew almost exactly the same thing. They pop up in some of the weekend-specific fabric orders through DGF (I think? something like that?) that you can order the fabric from the pre-order and have it shipped to a sewist to make it into something for you, and I've seen a lots of pics of skirts that look exactly like a bolder skirt in those fb posts. I think that iglowrunning also makes skirts that are pretty similar.
Oh that's great! Not sure if I can figure out how to do this but will look out for this if I happen to see them pop up...

I have some but rarely wear them anymore: I never loved them, but somehow got sucked into the cult lol! I keep meaning to list most of them for sale on the FB resale groups but never get around to it. Might be the right time now!

For a while, I ran in Skirt Sports skorts and still have a pile of those. They fit me better and had the leg and back pockets I wanted. Most of them have stretched to the point of not fitting well anymore after many years of use. And they went of out of business, too.

Lately, I’ve been wearing Athleta bike-type shorts (but minus the padding - these are meant for non-biking) that have leg pockets and a back pocket. They’re pricey, but I bought them when there was a sale. Ditto for capris and tights - all Athleta, some I’ve been using weekly for over a decade. I’m much happier without the extra fabric of skirts these days, and just do not care anymore how I might look in them.

Recently I discovered a brand called CRZ YOGA on Amazon and WOW! High quality, great prices, and easily the most comfortable shorts and capris I’ve ever had. They have leg pockets, but no back pocket: I don’t need the extra pocket for most runs, but can add a little Fitletic waist belt with a pouch if needed - that’s my go-to t hold ID and a car key in races. Anyway, I haven’t looked but wouldn‘t be surprised if they make skirts, too.

Beyond clothing, I carry a handheld bottle that has a little pouch perfect for holding lip balm and an inhaler. That’s all I need: gels go in a leg pocket, phone in the other, keys/ID into a back zip pocket or waist pouch, lip balm and inhaler in bottle pouch.
Just checked out CRZ YOGA and they have a couple of skirts with pockets! Not as large as the sparkle skirts it seems but at least they look large enough for a phone...

Looks like Athleta has skorts with pockets so that might be an option too!

Aw, this is a bummer. I'm not buying new clothing at the moment but I've always loved their stuff and I figured I'd probably buy my next new skirt from them.

Most of my skirts are from Runningskirts but I find that their shorts chafe a bit (I always wear capris/leggings underneath so not a big deal for me but the one time I wore one without capris it was not a fun experience). But I'm also weirdly between sizes so YMMV.
Oh not heard of them before, just had a look and they are cute! How large are the pockets - the website just says "2 roomy velcro closure pockets at the hips" but can't seem to find a photo showing the pockets...

@sky13 i have several Dona Jo skirts. Similar to Boulder, but no silicone grip. Several lengths/styles. Good quality.
I love Dona Jo skirts. A little too much. They are expensive by my standards but I love them and would buy more if I could find reasons to wear them outside of running. Athleta is my other major go-to, those "bike" shorts with the pockets that @PrincessV mentioned.
Also looked at the Dona Jo website and they really do have nice skirts and definitely have stuff that I can see myself wearing!

CRZ makes some decent Lululemon dupes. I have a couple of their tank tops.

I forgot to quote the poster, but…….

I have a few Bolder skirts, but I always found it to be too much material and kind of thick for FL running. I prefer my Lululemon skirts for the lightweight fabric and drawstring waist. I can usually stuff quite a bit in the leg pockets. If I am not wearing a skirt, I tend to run in biker type shorts with pockets or capris/leggings with pockets.

I used a Flipbelt with the zipper pocket for the WDW marathon and was able to stuff 9 Huma gels, an uncrustable sandwich, a king sized PayDay bar, body glide, chapstick, Tums, hand warmers and a travel tube of Tylenol in there. I put my phone in the leg pocket of my capris. I used the on course water/powerade, but I could have stuffed the flipbelt water bottle in there too.
Yes, this! There are maybe 5 days a year when it’s a little too cool for my hot weather running clothes, but a little too warm for capris - that’s the weird sweet spot for a Sparkle/Bolder skirt lol!
It won’t hold water, but for my phone and extras, I really love my koala clip. For really long runs, I’ve done my koala clip and flip belt. A flip belt holds a remarkable amount- it’s like a Mary Poppins bag.
I have an old non-zippered flipbelt that I’ve used for years and is great for phone/water but I always struggle stuffing a bunch of pouches in there too. I just recently bought a new zippered one and was surprised how much more it holds! Not sure if it’s the zipper design or just a newer model, but I’m very happy with it so far. It definitely seems wider.
I live somewhere that is mostly as hot and humid as FL year round but I think I've just gotten too used to running in the Sparkle/Bolder skirts over the years!

I went into a couple of Lululemon stores where I am but couldn't find anything that really suited me sadly, but it might just be that they don't carry the skirts with pockets here. I know there was a Lululemon store opening in Disney Springs so might try to have a look there when I'm at WDW next month...

Thanks for the tips about the koala clips and flip belts! I remember that I couldn't stuff a lot into my flip belt but the last time I used one was around 2017 so I might not have the best recollection of it! There is a local retailer here that sells flip belts so I might have to wander in and have a look at them again...

Though the frustrating thing for me though is that I know my exact size with the Sparkle/Bolder skirts but will now have to figure out what size fits me with other brands especially if I can't try before buying them...
If it helps, I’m exactly the same size in Athleta and CRZ as I was in Bolder/Sparkle. I find that most Athleta bottoms feel a touch tight on the first wearing and then settle to a perfect fit by the 2nd or 3rd and then stay perfect a long, long time. My 12yo Be Free Athleta capris are only just starting to feel a bit stretched out in the waist and I don’t baby my running clothes: they get washed in warm water and dried on low heat after every wear. So far, CRZ is holding up the same, but I’ve only had them about 6 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter