The Running Thread--2024

ATTQOTD: I listen to podcasts and music as a means to distract my brain a little. For a race I usually start with no music/podcasts and once I am settled in I will start a podcast I am excited to hear (pick it out and set it to play pre-race). Then late in a race I switch to music that will get me excited .

But for training runs that I know will be rough based on paces or distances I simply focus down on the immediate interval or current mile that I am in and try not to think about the whole work out. This makes me feel stronger. I also talk to myself a bit - “oh, that hurt, but I got this” or use my mantra “the longer I go the stronger I get”! I repeat that over and over in my head and say it out loud sometimes. This all really helps me.

Lastly things like weather, temperature and location can really make a difference for me. A cool crisp morning run on a forested trail and I am flying; well at least my version of flying anyway…

ATTQOTD: for easy runs, I find my brain just turns off, which makes the run feel effortless. I don't think you can make hard runs feel effortless, but if I'm struggling, I'll break up the run into chunks. I also do something similar to @SheHulk , but I go off of how much running I have left. At 3 miles left, I imagine running into HS, at 2, running past Boardwalk, at 1 I'm reaching Mexico.

ATTQOTD: it used to be just, you know… running. Lately, not so much.

But running in the dark always feels MUCH faster than I’m actually going, which can actually be kind of a let down - nothing like feeling like you hit top speed, then seeing Runkeeper tell you it was your 1092nd fastest lol!
This is true! Strange but true.

Ooh! Do they shrink? I bought a pair a while back that are just a little bit too big, so maybe this would help.

The material got weird and they got mishapen. I can't explain it. The ones I got a few years ago I threw away because they got so bad. I thought they were just crappy socks until a rep at one of the expos told me to wash them inside out and line dry.

Can't say that anything makes running feel easy. My only "trick" to make it through a rough run/workout is to give myself (in advance) permission to bail at a certain point. That takes off the pressure, and I don't think I've ever actually bailed. It just makes starting--getting over that initial friction/inertia -- a touch easier.
I did this the other day on my long run. I said to myself, "Just go out and see how you feel during your warm up and if you have to drop, you drop." And then I settled into it and felt good the rest of the way. There's also something about knowing on an out and back that if you go out 7 miles, you gotta come back 7 miles, and at that point you ran 14. Similarly, one I hit the turn around and am finally heading back to my car, I suddenly pick up the pace a little bit. Maybe the excitement of being halfway there or being closer to done than started?

Also similar to this - a friend of my was listening to a podcast and shared this tidbit (I'm still testing it): but basically you give yourself permission to take a break. So you say to yourself, "Okay, just get to the top of the hill and you can walk" and then you get to the top of the hill and now it's a downhill or flat so you think, "Well, actually I can run this" and you just keep going. Rinse and repeat.

ATTQOTD:

The biggest thing I do to make a run feel easier is to do it outside. No matter the pace, my runs on treadmills feel 100% harder, I assume because of less to distract me (even if I have a movie or show on) and the constant glance at the clock.
This 100%. Doesn't matter if I have music, a movie, or a full concert experience in front of me the treadmill sucks. I will pick running outside 999 times out of 1,000.

But running in the dark always feels MUCH faster than I’m actually going, which can actually be kind of a let down - nothing like feeling like you hit top speed, then seeing Runkeeper tell you it was your 1092nd fastest lol!
I feel this, too. Something about running after dark, particularly when I'm alone, makes a 12 minute mile feel like a sprint, but not always in a bad way. Just in a - time is an illusion and nothing makes sense sort of way.

Doesn't matter if I have music, a movie, or a full concert experience in front of me the treadmill sucks. I will pick running outside 999 times out of 1,000.
I signed up for a gym membership a few summers ago so I would keep running despite the heat, and learned that I would rather run in the heat than run on a treadmill. Eventually* I cancelled the gym membership altogether.

Now I'll run when it's 85* and humid, or 25 degrees and sleeting. Just give me real life!

*Many songs will be sung, and tales written, of the trials of Caleb the Foolish and his escape from the clutches of LA Fitness. Long did he strive against his dark foe, ere he was victorious.

Since I’m not currently training for anything, I’ve decided to give something new a try and use a running plan from Stryd that uses their “running power” metric to guide various workout intensities. I’ve had their footpod for awhile (I love gadgets) but have only used their “modeling” to compare it to what I expect for race times. I’ve found it to be pretty good so figured I would give their plans a try as some new variety. Starts with two weeks of “testing” (running in various zones and some fitness testing) to help make sure the zones it has calculated for me already are accurate, then I will move to one of their base-building plans. I understand calculation of running power is pretty subjective at this point between various platforms using it, but the theory behind the plans, which are developed by Steve Palladino (who I admit I have never heard of and know nothing about) is consistent with many others (e.g. run most volume at an easy pace with remainder at “hard” paces). The running power is supposed to help make sure those easy runs are easy and hard ones are the right degree of hard without over/under doing it. So sounds similar to HR training (or other plans like those done by @DopeyBadger) but based on lower-leg feedback instead of HR. Volumes feel low compared to what I would otherwise plan to do, but will see how it goes.

Curious if anyone on here has used one of their training plans before and your feedback.

Since I’m not currently training for anything, I’ve decided to give something new a try and use a running plan from Stryd that uses their “running power” metric to guide various workout intensities. I’ve had their footpod for awhile (I love gadgets) but have only used their “modeling” to compare it to what I expect for race times. I’ve found it to be pretty good so figured I would give their plans a try as some new variety. Starts with two weeks of “testing” (running in various zones and some fitness testing) to help make sure the zones it has calculated for me already are accurate, then I will move to one of their base-building plans. I understand calculation of running power is pretty subjective at this point between various platforms using it, but the theory behind the plans, which are developed by Steve Palladino (who I admit I have never heard of and know nothing about) is consistent with many others (e.g. run most volume at an easy pace with remainder at “hard” paces). The running power is supposed to help make sure those easy runs are easy and hard ones are the right degree of hard without over/under doing it. So sounds similar to HR training (or other plans like those done by @DopeyBadger) but based on lower-leg feedback instead of HR. Volumes feel low compared to what I would otherwise plan to do, but will see how it goes.

Curious if anyone on here has used one of their training plans before and your feedback.
I have used their plans, and in general really like the power based training plans. I liked the plans better that they had before they switched to using Steve Palladino - mainly because I liked the higher volume - more at easy pace with a little less ‘hard’ runs. I used them for a few years and had good results. The Palladino plans did take getting used to the significantly less volume from before. You can’t start plans in the middle like you used to, and since I run multiple marathons a year, it is really hard to use those plans now. I think (like @DopeyBadger says), if you follow their guidelines it should be a good training plan. I used a Palladino plan once then switched to the paid subscription so I could recreate an old plan for one marathon. I kind of feel like his plans are meant more for faster people (not that I’m slow, but not super speedy - 1:55-2:00 half, and generally don’t run marathons at full speed so usually 4:30-5:00). I am now using a Garmin HR plan - because I really like that it automatically sends workouts to my watch (like Stryd) and I don’t have to set up every workout. I keep debating paying for a power based plan from Training Peaks or something like that.

I like power based plans because unlike HR plans it doesn’t lag much from what you are currently doing. Your HR tends to lag behind a switch in pace or climbing a hill. Power does lag a little when starting to climb a hill, but that was because I had it set on 3 second averaging so it wouldn’t jump around so much. I really like how Stryd gives good estimates of what I could run races in - instead of just guessing that I could probably run something in a certain time.

I hope you like the plan.

ATTQOTD: Podcasts and Audiobooks! I'll do music for short runs on occasion, but music tends to take me out of it with the beat changes in between songs.

I've been listening to a back catalogue of Podcast: The Ride which is a fantastic theme park history podcast in the vein of Doughboys where it's a mix between a trip report, an oral history, and a comedy show.

I have used their plans, and in general really like the power based training plans.
Great feedback. Thank you. I'm around the same paces as you so this is really helpful. I've tried HR plans before but because we live in a hilly area, it's almost impossible for me to adjust them for the constant up/down and I don't want to go to the flat greenway trail for every run. I wanted to try and get a feel for them now rather than waiting for a race to use them when I would care about the result.

I've gotten it to upload the workouts from Stryd to my Garmin. Took some searching on their support pages and having to disconnect and re-connect to my Garmin account, but at least for today, the workout is there on my watch.

Heart Rate Training Question:
I'm coming off the Disneyland Half Marathon with no other races planned, so as I transfer my focus to strength training I wanted to do some easy running. I decided to give Heart Rate Training a try. I'm doing about two 3 mile easy runs per week and one longer with some intervals.

Specifically during the 3 mile easy runs.....I like to have a pretty good cadence, or "quick turnover". I figure if I'm meant to be going slow I should at least have good form. But sometimes this gets me going a little too fast or if it's very cold and I maybe didn't get warmed up properly, my heart rate gets a bit too high and I need to take a walk break to get it back down into the prescribed zone.
If I try to just slow down my running or transition into a "jog" my speed slows down a bit, my cadence gets worse, the run isn't very fun, and even still I need some walk breaks.

So what do you think is best when it comes to heart rate training for an easy run.....going as slow as needed (despite form) in order to maintain a constant speed and HR in the Easy Zone - OR - keep great form, somewhat higher speed, but then needing to walk sometimes to reduce the HR?

Secondary question.....regardless of which method above I use I'm probably going to need a walk break at some point to return my HR to the correct zone, so do you find it better to walk just long enough to get a few points back into the correct zone, or walk long enough to get to the very bottom of the correct zone before I return to running or jogging?
*I'm using a Garmin Venu watch to see my heart rate zones during the run.

ATTQOTD: Music and Peloton. If I'm on the treadmill, it looks like Mission Control. I'll have Peloton going on my phone for the coaching and encouragement aspect, plus music, and then I'll watch youtube videos of the races, or pop in a movie. If it's a long run and I'm struggling, I'll restart the treadmill after intervals. Sometimes it's after each mile, or certain times. I did 4 20-minute Peloton classes last weekend and reset the treadmill after each class. If I'm outside, it's just music and I don't need as many distractions.

At slower speeds, I listen to audiobooks and podcasts at 2x speed. It gives my mind something to chew on, and the time just flies by.

So all your audiobooks sound like they are narrated by Alvin and the Chipmunks, eh? 🤣

Wow. If anything, I'm trying to figure out how to get more length out of my audiobooks instead of less! I already bounce back and forth between Audible's 12 and 24 credits/year plan. I can't imagine how much I'd need if I were listening to them twice as fast!

Wow. If anything, I'm trying to figure out how to get more length out of my audiobooks instead of less! I already bounce back and forth between Audible's 12 and 24 credits/year plan. I can't imagine how much I'd need if I were listening to them twice as fast!
Don't forget you can get ebooks/audiobooks for download at most public libraries.

There’s something about the slow, careful over-enunciation of audiobooks that drives me crazy if I listen at normal speed. I used to hate them and found that upping the speed makes them sound more conversational and takes away the annoying factor for me. i Need to listen to them at about 1.5 x (give or take depending on the narrator) to enjoy them.
Don't forget you can get ebooks/audiobooks for download at most public libraries.

Some libraries also use multiple services. Mine has both Libby and Hoopla and I’ve found they have very different catalogues and availability. Between the two I can generally get almost anything I want and only purchase on rare occasion. Audiobooks are generally the only thing that can get me through my long runs!

What techniques or things do you do (either physical or mental) that makes running seem effortless, easier, more tolerable, like you're gliding, flying, etc....
Only once did I feel like I was flying. And that was around mile 25 of my first marathon so the price to get that feeling is intense. And I have not experienced that feeling since that first marathon.

What are my tricks to having a better experience?

1. Start slow, even at races. Know yourself and how you feel that day. If that day isn't going the way you want, you might have a better experience if you accept what that day is and simply do what you are capable of. I have always experienced much better races when I start slow and let my body adjust instead of going for broke right from the start.

2. In training, I like having something to listen to, be it audiobooks, podcasts, or a family member to talk to in the rare occasions I'm not running alone. Keeps my mind focused on something else so it cannot complain about running. Recently, in Disney races I just soak up the experience and don't listen to anything. But this one can definitely change person to person.
A mental trick I use on long runs when I'm struggling, is to imagine where I will be when I'm at that mile in the race. This usually only works for me when I'm training for the WDW Marathon where I know the course really well.
3. I have used this strategy or a variation thereof many times for Disney races. I usually train after work so when I leave the office and don't want to go for a run because I'm tired after a long day of work, I tell myself that I'm actually at mile 10 of the half marathon or mile 22 or 23 of the marathon. And I can't quit then so I keep going. This has the added benefit on race day of reaching the actual mile 10 or 22 and I then tell myself "I've practiced these next 3-4 miles countless times over the past few months. I've done this many times before." It's a similar idea to reaching mile 20 of the marathon during Dopey and telling myself, "time for the 10K. I know how to do this because I did this two days ago."

4. Another one can be envisioning the medal and how I will feel once I've earned it. When training for Disney races, this also involves thinking about the assorted photos I'm going to take in the parks with my medal(s) after the race.

5. I always credit @OldSlowGoofyGuy for this one. He taught me that when you start to feel fatigue, just trick your mind by focusing on just about anything else. "Oh that mile came quicker than I expected" or "mile x already?!?" regardless of the number of minutes it took you to run that mile or those miles.

During this year's marathon, I felt like some of the final miles after mile 20 were going on forever and ever. At one point, I pulled my phone out and started playing my college fight song. Lifted my spirits and I kept going.

2016 U.S. Olympic Marathoner Jared Ward once shared that your body is ready to quit first, but your mind is more powerful than your body, so you want to learn to train your mind to endure longer. So long as the brain is telling the body that it's in charge here, the body will follow suit. He shared instances of many elite runners going much longer in incredibly difficult conditions simply because their brains were telling their body to keep going. Likewise, as Jared shared, once the mind decides that you're finished, the body will immediately follow suit. Once the mind has given up, it's extremely difficult if not possible to "come back" from that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter