The Running Thread--2024

I know I'm really behind on March! How is it the 7th already?!

March Totals

Running

Distance: 71.3 miles
Time: 12:13:32
Avg HR: 141
Avg Pace: 10:22

I continue to not train for anything, so I'm happy with this. Probably going to half-@$$ attempt a 10k PR at the beginning of April. Need to do some sprints. Been doing about one tempo run a week.

Walking
Walks: 18
Distance: 17.16
Time: 5:37:27

This is just walking our lab around the loop in our "neighborhood," so he's happy. But man, he gets demanding sometimes! My goal is four walks a week, which we have been accomplishing.

Strength Training
Sessions: 7
Time: 3:00:49

Fell off a bit, but I'm happy with where I'm at. Just in maintenance, not trying to get super muscles or anything.

Spinning
Classes: 1
Time: 51:55

There are only four classes each week - 2 daytime and 2 evening. Well, with work, the daytime ones are hard. And with kid activities, the nighttime ones are hard. I enjoy them but they're not a priority.
Do you mean, February totals? Or have you quit for the month already? :)

Gonna jump in the thread. I need somewhere to kinda of keep myself accountable. I've always wanted to do a half marathon and I made it a goal to do one this year. I used to love running but kids and life have taken me away from it. Hubby got me a treadmill for Christmas so I've been slowly getting back to it. I'll be turning 39 in October and want to do Dopey for my 40th. So we'll see how that plays out.

I have a local St Patrick's Day 5k Saturday. Hoping this annoying cold I've picked up goes away by then.

I'm joining the insanity of registering for W&D weekend and if I actually get in, I'll sign up for the Zoo Run 10k in April for POT and hopefully be able to make it.

I'm already signed up for Route 66 Half Marathon at the end of November, so I'm excited to jump into half marathon life!

Gonna jump in the thread. I need somewhere to kinda of keep myself accountable. I've always wanted to do a half marathon and I made it a goal to do one this year. I used to love running but kids and life have taken me away from it. Hubby got me a treadmill for Christmas so I've been slowly getting back to it. I'll be turning 39 in October and want to do Dopey for my 40th. So we'll see how that plays out.

I have a local St Patrick's Day 5k Saturday. Hoping this annoying cold I've picked up goes away by then.

I'm joining the insanity of registering for W&D weekend and if I actually get in, I'll sign up for the Zoo Run 10k in April for POT and hopefully be able to make it.

I'm already signed up for Route 66 Half Marathon at the end of November, so I'm excited to jump into half marathon life!
You got this!

Has anyone referenced the theme colours vs the shirt colours in recent years? I am trying to figure out the probabilities for getting green, orange, beige and blue shirt for Springtime Surprise 2024 🫣

Here is what I have so far. I ignored pre-2020 races.

YearEventDistanceThemeTheme colorShirt color
2020MW5kPlutoAqua greenAqua
2020MW10kOswaldDark blueRed
2020MWHMDonaldAqua blueNavy blue
2020MWMMickey & MiinieBlackGrey
2020MWGoofyGoofyBlueBaby blue
2020MWDopeyDopeyNavy blueOlive green
2023StS5kCarsRedRed
2023StS10kMonster IncBlueBlue
2023StS10MToy Story / BuzzLight greyLight grey
2023StSChallenge NemoAqua greenBlue
2024StS5kPeter Pan / ThinkGreen
2024StS10kUp / RusselOrange
2024StS10MLion KingBeige
2024StSChallenge StitchBlue

Welcome!

In addition to posting here, if you're looking for accountability you might consider starting a training journal. There's a decent-sized group of friendly folks who follow along with each other, providing advice and encouragement and sometimes commiseration.

I've found that to be an incredibly powerful accountability tool. I've lost count of how many times I did not want to do a scheduled run, and got up and did it anyway purely because I didn't want to have to admit my failure in my training journal. I have literally several followers! I can't let them down.

Good luck on your running journey. It'll be great to follow along on your progress, and to see you finish Dopey in January!

February Totals:

Pretty late with these, but have been traveling, sadly my step-mom passed away so I have been back in California trying to support my dad. So now that I am home I was able to add up my mileage.

Running: 84.04 miles (13 runs)
Walking: 119.47 miles (26 walks)
Calories burned: 39,867

Added some track work in for March as I am ramping up for Spring Surprise. Looking forward to challenging month!

My annoyance with Garmin's heart rate zones continues. I set it to calculate my zone using %HRR. I reset the % for each zones, and yet it's still not matching what I'm calculating. I know it really shouldn't matter, but for whatever reason it bothers.
Here's what Garmin has the top of each zone set to vs what I calculated using the same data that Garmin is using:
ZoneGarminCalculated
1​
115​
44%​
137​
60%​
2​
134​
58%​
151​
70%​
3​
153​
71%​
165​
80%​
4​
173​
86%​
179​
90%​
5​
What is your max HR and resting HR? My Garmin value and personal calculation are aligning using the following calc:

Max HR - Resting HR = HRR
175 - 50 = 125

(HRR * Desired %HRR Value) + Resting HR = Goal HR
(125 * 53%) + 50 = 116
(66) + 50 = 116

(125 * 67%) + 50 = 134

So my goal easy zone is 116-134 for a %HRR range of 53-67%.

You can just manually update the goal HR based on your own calculations regardless of what % the Garmin Connect system is spitting out if you think it's wrong.

What is your max HR and resting HR? My Garmin value and personal calculation are aligning using the following calc:

Max HR - Resting HR = HRR
175 - 50 = 125

(HRR * Desired %HRR Value) + Resting HR = Goal HR
(125 * 53%) + 50 = 116
(66) + 50 = 116

(125 * 67%) + 50 = 134

So my goal easy zone is 116-134 for a %HRR range of 53-67%.

You can just manually update the goal HR based on your own calculations regardless of what % the Garmin Connect system is spitting out if you think it's wrong.
Max HR is 193 and resting is 54. I set the zone percentages to match what I've seen online, so up to 60% for Z1, 70% for Z2, 80% for Z3, 90% for Z4. So the percentages are right, but then the numbers it shows for the zones doesn't match what I calculate using the same numbers. I'm wondering if maybe I'm just doing something wrong with how I'm setting it up.
1709932806621.png

Max HR is 193 and resting is 54. I set the zone percentages to match what I've seen online, so up to 60% for Z1, 70% for Z2, 80% for Z3, 90% for Z4. So the percentages are right, but then the numbers it shows for the zones doesn't match what I calculate using the same numbers. I'm wondering if maybe I'm just doing something wrong with how I'm setting it up.
View attachment 840240
My Garmin gives you the choice of calculating your HR zones using either %HRR or %MaxHR. Based on the numbers you've given, it looks like your watch is calculating based on %MaxHR. Can you go in and make sure that it's set to calculate based on %HRR?

View attachment 840240

-I click the watch in the upper right hand screen of the Garmin Connect window.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 3.56.13 PM.png

-Click on the desired watch.
-Click "User settings".
Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 3.57.38 PM.png

-Scroll down, and then I can manually adjust values for HR zones, or you can choose the pencil and select "% of Reserve".

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 3.59.03 PM.png

Let me know if this belongs better in another thread.

I'm feeling annoyed at myself because I may have just wasted some money on the wrong shoes for me. I bought my first new pair of running shoes in a year earlier this week. They're also my first new pair since running 4-5 days a week, which I started in December. I expect to buy another pair in June / July if I keep up my mileage.

I went to my local Asics store, talked to an associate, got reccomended some models, figured out my right size, and then ordered online becuase they didn't have the exact model/size combo I wanted in store. My first run with them my shins felt a bit uncomfortable. I also thought the shoes felt kind of flat, but thought that might just be getting used to them. I ended the run a mile early because my main goal is staying healthy and continuing to run. My second run I had knee pain after about two miles. I swapped to my old shoes and the pain got better within a mile and I finished my run. I don't think this is all in my head, but that's also possible.

How do you all test new shoes? How long do you give them feeling bad/ weird before giving up? Do you try to fix them by buying new insoles? Nike seems to have an amazing return policy, but everyone else has an (totally understandable but not good for me) "use it and you can't return" rule. When you're shopping or shoes, do you trust any particular brands or websites? How often do you just miss or get unlucky with a pair?

I'm not sure what to do here, but I know I want to keep running, and don't want to hurt myself. I've also been thinking for the last month or so that my original pair of shoes is feeling less bouncy and worn in some cusioning areas. So I feel like I "should" be looking at new shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter