The Running Thread--2024

I was also thinking of writing mile splits on my arm so I can see how I'm doing as I pass each mile marker.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to utilize/setup my Garmin
Depending on which Garmin model you have, you might be able to turn on the Virtual Pacer. It’s a handy way to have a quick glance at how you’re doing against your goal time without having to calculate in your head.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-80AA39BE-7DDD-4CEE-B7DA-7F679286EA1A.html

My March running has suffered greatly due to personal life stuff and then getting sick. Plus the time change completely threw me off since I don't like running in the dark. I only got 41 miles, which I would be fine with, except I'm doing Springtime Surprise in less than three weeks, so I need to get back to it or that race will suck.

I have been walking more thanks to my new dog. She's finally getting the hang of walking on the leash.

I also need to find some more strength training and yoga to incorporate into my training.

March running:

Total Distance: 71.8mi
Average Pace: 11:06/mi

I planned to take a whole 2 weeks off after Princess, but I made it 10 days before getting too antsy. Next race is the Broad Street Run May 5. I really feel the need to change things up, I have run 3 half marathons over the winter and my finish times have totally fallen off. Maybe it's the lack of a break.
I rarely weigh myself, but the 3rd disappointing finish time finally had me stepping on the scale, and, unsurprisingly, I had put on about 5-7 lbs. So I rejoined WW to see if that can help clean up my diet and put me on the right path again, nutrition-wise. I know a lot of people hate on WW and "diet culture" these days, but I eat a lot more healthfully when I am tracking what I eat.
And the other leg of the stool is the dreaded (for me) strength training. Age and solely running distance for exercise have made me worryingly weak. I feel like I have no fast-twitch muscle at all. So right now I am committed to some light weight/body weight training. Knocked one running day off my schedule to replace with strength, so I know I will have the time.
I'll only have been on this kick for about 7 weeks prior to Broad Street, so I don't know if I will see any benefit that quickly, but we will find out!

March 2024 Totals
Running Distance: 78.87 miles
Running Time: 13:57:45
Traditional Strength Training Time: 7:03:05
Core Training: 2:42:16
Pilates/Yoga: 1:19:00 (Wow! Exactly the same time as February to the minute)
Plyometrics: 1:51:56

I was somewhat hoping to reach 100 miles this month, but I'm actually proud of what I have done following my "A" half marathon race. My plan was to conservatively build back utilizing a time-based approach which is what I did. I started out with three runs of only 30 minutes following an entire week of no running at all. I didn't actually think that would be as difficult as it was, but I underestimated my desire to continue running even though I knew that it was the best thing for my body. After that, I increased my runs to five times for 30 minutes for two weeks and then bringing it up to 45 minutes until I am now back to 60 minutes with Strides twice a week. I'm actually excited about this base building period to see what I can do next to improve.

March Total: 61.47
Running: 33.66
Indoor Cycling: 25.66
Walking: 2.15

I continue to have issues with motivation. I’m probably not going to die at Springtime Surprise, but it may not be my best weekend ever. My 10K last weekend went fine. It was far from my worst time, but also not very close to my best time. I have a 10 miler this coming weekend, we’ll see how that goes.

March Miles
Week 1: 28.25
Week 2: 27.94
Week 3: 29.20
Week 4: 19.58
=

This would have been higher but my cutback week in early March ended up being a norovirus weekend and my 10 mile long run turned into a walk on Sunday in an attempt to get fresh air and improve my mental health. Still more than last month and over 100 miles! Pretty cool.

Taper time!

This was a very good month for running. I feel like my pacing is getting back to where it should be, even if it's not as fast as it once was, and I was able to reestablish a PoT for MW in a half marathon mid-month. I was planning another half this month, but it looks like that has been preempted for an 80th birthday celebration for my mother. One day I'll get out to that race! In the meantime, I'm pushing on to the New River Marathon in mid-May.

March Training Summary
Running Miles: 135.42
Running Time: 23:50:02
Average Pace: 0:10:32/mi (down from 12:00/mi in January)
Average HR: 144/min
YTD Mileage: 374.49 mi

Other
Walking Miles: 37.81
Rolling 12mo Miles: 1,357.89 mi

March running- 19 miles :-(

Not what I had hoped for but that's the way it goes sometimes. My 7yo had his tonsils/adenoids out on March 8 so his recovery took a lot away from my running time. Thankfully he's all better now and I'm getting back into my routine.

I have a 5K coming up on Sunday so I'll use that to reset my training paces and start training for the NYS Park Summer Series which I registered for today and starts in June.

There's now a small chance I'll be at MW for "just" the half and doing the 5K at Princess with my 11yo son. Things are changing day to day on this front though so I won't really know what I'm doing until registration starts next week!

March Miles = 111

Pulled a hamstring playing basketball mid March then reinjured it 3 times trying to play thru the injury. Playoffs are this week so hoop season will be ending soon. Running was much slower and thus shorter distance this month. Hope to get back on track in April.

January Miles = 116
February Miles = 105

2024 Total = 332

Last edited:
March 2024
Running Miles 0.0
Walking Miles - 32

I could have walked more, but laziness won. That and I still had a barn and garage full of stuff in the house we sold that had to be taken care of. My mom was also here for the month of March and I had not seen her in 5 years so…….yeah…..

I started back at the gym today and did lower body stuff using machines since I’m still on 5lb lifting restrictions. I was pleasantly surprised that I had not lost much strength over the last 9.5 weeks 👍

March 2024 running:
Miles: 84.3
Time: 15:06:37

What with taper+race+time off, Garmin can't figure out what's going on 😆. March has cycled through maintaining, recovery, maintaining, productive, detraining, recovery, and unproductive. 🤷🏻‍♀️
One great thing about taking a week and a half off, was getting that coveted "productive" status from Garmin for a good number of days when I came back.

I am not sure i should post this, but i had my A2M shots today in my knee. It is still PRP (plasma rich platelettes) but goes through a different filter. Honestly not sure the actual difference but I received two injections. One in the top of knee where i had gotten the 3 hyralonic acid shots to help the arthritis and then second went into the meniscus. The point of the second is to try to hold the meniscus together to stop the extruding. I had done a few short runs but my knee started to bother me in the meniscus area (a lot since i could not walk without a limp) so i shut down the running till i had this injection. Right now the running is shut down for another week for sure.

I am not sure if anyone is considering this procedure so maybe i will be kind with my words. The first thing is I know this is less painful than surgery and recovery. The second is I also know the worst that can happen with this procedure is I don't get any relief, unlike surgery which has the potential to make it worse. However the dr said it would be uncomfortable and sore for a few days. I had it done this morning. I will say during the procedure I started to get sick. I started sweating and turned white. I also completely stopped squeezing Bert's hand because i was feeling too sick. Thankfully the dr finished before i passed out. I did have to sit there a little bit to recover. The good thing is it means my body is having a reaction so hopefully it will do it good. Then i went to see my PT who did a few exercises, she said this helps and she does it with her elite athletes. The shot itself was painful but you do get lidocaine. However it hurts pretty good now. I will leave it at that. If you all want more details will go into it.

Hopefully i can start running again. I did sign up for the W&D Half and plan to sign up for MW Half.

I am not sure i should post this, but i had my A2M shots today in my knee. It is still PRP (plasma rich platelettes) but goes through a different filter. Honestly not sure the actual difference but I received two injections. One in the top of knee where i had gotten the 3 hyralonic acid shots to help the arthritis and then second went into the meniscus. The point of the second is to try to hold the meniscus together to stop the extruding. I had done a few short runs but my knee started to bother me in the meniscus area (a lot since i could not walk without a limp) so i shut down the running till i had this injection. Right now the running is shut down for another week for sure.

I am not sure if anyone is considering this procedure so maybe i will be kind with my words. The first thing is I know this is less painful than surgery and recovery. The second is I also know the worst that can happen with this procedure is I don't get any relief, unlike surgery which has the potential to make it worse. However the dr said it would be uncomfortable and sore for a few days. I had it done this morning. I will say during the procedure I started to get sick. I started sweating and turned white. I also completely stopped squeezing Bert's hand because i was feeling too sick. Thankfully the dr finished before i passed out. I did have to sit there a little bit to recover. The good thing is it means my body is having a reaction so hopefully it will do it good. Then i went to see my PT who did a few exercises, she said this helps and she does it with her elite athletes. The shot itself was painful but you do get lidocaine. However it hurts pretty good now. I will leave it at that. If you all want more details will go into it.

Hopefully i can start running again. I did sign up for the W&D Half and plan to sign up for MW Half.
Ouch! Reminds me of when my dad at surgery to remove loose cartilage in his knee, and he needed to have his knee drained after a week of healing to take out fluid. They said it would feel like a bee sting, and he said that must've been the biggest fluffin' bee that ever existed.

Where is a Care reaction option when you need it, Disboards?! (HUGS) This sounds awful and I know you’re trying to hold back, so it must have been pretty bad. I so hope the pain tapers off quickly and the procedure brings positive change for you! I really appreciate your honest review, though.Hang in there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter