The schitck at '50s Prime Time Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiasco32

Mouseketeer
Anyone know if there's a way to request the servers not do the whole "act" of telling you to get your elbows off the table/stand in the corner, etc? We love the food there and the restaurant theming, but the interaction with the server makes my wife a bit uncomfortable.

I don't know if there is a request, but I wonder if they feed off of you. The last time we went there, our waitress really teased the table next to us, and a bit with my husband because he was playing along with her, but she left me alone because I don't really like that kind of thing either and I was ignoring/not really laughing at the things going on around us and I was preoccupied with our kids.

We've been to similar "shtick" places, like Ed Debevics and Dick's Last Resort and the server definitely took notice over who was game for the shtick and who wasn't. Also I'm sure you could talk to the server and ask. But when we went to 50's Prime Time, they also adapted their "rudeness" levels depending on who they were interacting with. Some members of our family were really down for it so he was good with them and then he was nice and sweet to our daughters (age 9 and 7 at the time) and gave them just a little bit of sass. Other than maybe a little bit of "grumpiness" from "Mom" when we checked in, we didn't have any other sassy interactions.

But when we went to 50's Prime Time, they also adapted their "rudeness" levels depending on who they were interacting with. Some members of our family were really down for it so he was good with them and then he was nice and sweet to our daughters (age 9 and 7 at the time) and gave them just a little bit of sass. Other than maybe a little bit of "grumpiness" from "Mom" when we checked in, we didn't have any other sassy interactions.

Yes, I noticed this, too. She left me alone. She was a little silly with our kids but nothing any more silly than someone with a nice personality who likes kids. She picked at my husband just a little about his elbows or needing a napkin. But the table next to us was a newlywed couple in their 20s, and she was going all out to pick on this guy and he was playing along and his wife was laughing and taking pictures.

Its as big of a part as the theme and food.
My opinion is if you're not into it then eat somewhere else.
Plenty of places with great food.
I ate there once with my friend we had minimal interaction but the whole thing was just awkward and I wasn't even a fan of the food.
That's not to say I don't like interaction because I do love the punniness at Skipper's Canteen but that's much different than feeling like you're 8 years old at grandma's in the 1950's and not enjoying your meatloaf.

I'd probably go somewhere else TBH.

I def. understand not wanting a big whole affair but that is literally part of the restaurant. And I def. understand being uncomfortable there that's why I would suggest another place. I think there's a difference in not wanting to be hugely interacted with and actually being uncomfortable inside the place.

When we went there there was a table near us and a sullen teenager kept getting reminded to get his elbows off the table. He flat out ignored the waiter. TBH that made me uncomfortable. It kinda killed the mood for the teen to be like that. I don't necessarily blame him in all honesty but his traveling group was all up for it just not him. He probably just didn't have a choice in going in there or not.

The Tune In Lounge, the bar located in the waiting area next to Prime Time, offers all the same food on the menu that Prime Time does. We've taken that route on occasion where its just us and we didn't necessarily want all the interaction- we save that for when friends are in town that have never been there before. The bar area can get a little congested, but once you find a chair at the bar, you can "tune" the noise and commotion out (pun intended!). The bartenders will DEFINITELY not perform the schtick that the servers in Prime Time do, plus you still get the yummy food! :)

I disagree with everyone else. When you check in, ask if you can be seated in a quieter section. I like the theming and interaction, but I also find that the level of the 'schtick' depends almost entirely on your server. I don't think it's a big deal to be seated in the section of someone who's more focused on serving than performing.

I disagree with everyone else. When you check in, ask if you can be seated in a quieter section. I like the theming and interaction, but I also find that the level of the 'schtick' depends almost entirely on your server. I don't think it's a big deal to be seated in the section of someone who's more focused on serving than performing.
Where's the quieter section?

I agree with some of the PPs that it's part of the restaurant! I actually find the food to be mediocre (at best) and the ONLY reason to eat there is the interaction with the servers. We went once a few years ago and the server really didn't play up the antics very much (even though we REALLY wanted them!) and I wonder if many people going in requesting no antics makes some servers hesitant to try?

Anyone know if there's a way to request the servers not do the whole "act" of telling you to get your elbows off the table/stand in the corner, etc? We love the food there and the restaurant theming, but the interaction with the server makes my wife a bit uncomfortable.
I would ask to make a note on your dinner reservation just like people make notes about allergies or special needs requests.

TBH, they have toned it way down because of diners not enjoying it. We actually stopped going because for us, it’s rather boring without the antics.

I understand not everyone enjoys the "schtick" at this restaurant but then eat somewhere else. One of the biggest complaints about WDW and the parks worldwide is they are all becoming one (the homogenization of the parks Pete Werner described it as). If so many people continue asking at check-in or on their reservation notes to dial back or not do the "schtick", it will lose the appeal and uniqueness of the restaurant as originally designed.

We ate there in October. We were all for the antics and our server could tell because we were laughing when he did things to the table next to us. A young couple with their daughter (maybe 6 yo?) then came and ate next to us and you could clearly tell they wanted nothing to do with it. The little girl sat on her iPad the entire meal and the family didn’t talk the entire time. The server did a great job and didn’t do any antics with them.

I will say though that our food was really not very good. If it weren’t for our server being funny we would’ve probably hated the experience. I had the pot roast and I’ve made better roast at home (I’m terrible at cooking).

If she doesn't like the whole Mom or Uncle act then I would eat somewhere else. For us it's the best part of the dining experience. Our last visit Uncle Bob or Bill (can't remember) was our waiter and he told us to go wash our hands, eat our veggies etc. He told my girls if they didn't clean their plate then "no dessert"! It was awesome! If they ever tone it down we will eat somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter