The Silver Dollar City/Dollywood dis

And I don't put much into the rankings. To me these rankings mean nothing. They really shouldn't mean much to anyone.
Merely dismissing the rankings doesn't really bring anything useful into this discussion. These rankings are based off of actual people visiting the parks and rating them highly. You can personally disagree with spots in the rankings but you can find plenty of other rankings and awards that tell you that yes these are at least few great parks not named Disney or Universal.
Lists can be a good starting point for someone to find out about a park they didn't know much about. I saw Dollywood on one of the few years ago and made a trip to form my own opinion about it and now I very much agree after multiple visits is one of the best parks in the country. I would encourage any member of the Dis team to do the same.

I've been to Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, Disney, and Universal. Silver Dollar City and Dollywood are on par with the major theme park players. There are great rides, great shows, good food, and lots to do. I was actually debating on a trip to Dollywood this year, but I put it off until next year due to the global situation.

The best thing about Silver Dollar City and Dollywood is there is something to do for every member of the family. From the little ones to the thrill seekers to the grandpas and grandmas, there's something for all ages to do. Usually, there is a family play area near the big rides so the little ones have something to do while the big ones ride the big rides.

I don't think it was a lack of respect. You have to realize local parks like Silver Dollar City or Dollywood are not in the same league as Disney or Universal. People don't typically plan big vacations to go to those. People instead go to those for a day or weekend trip.

The Trip Advisor list doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Like Craig mentioned on the podcast people don't really go and review full theme parks. Its also the internet and like Rotten Tomatoes you're going to have varying levels of reviews.

I don't think anyone doubts those smaller local parks are fun, have good food, and good attractions but like I said its hard to compare the two.

I’d call it ignorance.

It’s not just TripAdvisor, Silver Dollar City and Dollywood have been getting national recognition from the likes of USA Today, Amusement Today, American Coaster Enthusiasts and The Golden Ticket Awards for being really good theme parks. They’re often in the top 10 parks in the USA and it’s for good reason. They’re beautiful parks with some great entertainment, good food and great rollercoasters at a very reasonable price.

They’re not simply local parks, they are vacation destinations for plenty of families. They provide an excellent value for families who have been priced out by the likes of Disney World. I love Disney World, but I also love Silver Dollar City and Dollywood. It’s sad when people just attack something that they have no knowledge about for no reason. To me they came off as rather snotty.

I will say that Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City is vastly superior to Slinky Dog Dash. They’re using the exact same ride system and Time Traveler is just a whole lot more fun and impressive. (Time Traveler’s cars spin and it goes upside down)

Bay Beach in Green Bay (#11) and Dutch Wonderland in PA (#16) beat out both Busch Gardens parks and Cedar Point? :magnify:

Clearly that is a reason to take a look at other rankings and awards for reference when making major vacation decisions but people really love those places for what they are

Bay Beach is a cute, quaint little local amusement park, I used to go as a kid growing up in WI...but I wouldn't say it's better than Busch Gardens.

I used to work in travel and Trip Advisor is the number one thing that could make or break your business. It’s likely that smaller parks solicited reviews to push their rankings higher, whereas larger parks didn’t because people are aware of them already.

I think demographics are also in play. It’s a very specific group of people that regularly writes unsolicited reviews on TA. They are mostly white and mostly 50+. That audience might have more nostalgia for Disney or for an older, local park. They aren’t riding roller coasters at Cedar Point.

This is also why TA is garbage for places to eat. The top restaurants for major US cities are overwhelmingly wineries, fancy French/Italian, and American diner type places. It’s very homogenous.

But I’ve veered too far from the original post. The point is that the attitude on the podcast was a bummer because it wasn‘t based on the same level of expertise we usually know and love from the panel.

I usually travel across the US in summer visiting multiple theme parks for vacation. I will fully admit it did bother me a bit and it felt liked they looked down on the parks that aren't Disney. The US has some of the best parks in the world and wish more people would give these parks a chance.

One last thing to add is good thing they didn't look at USA today amusement park poll. There was not a single Disney or Universal park on it. The top 3 were Silver Dollar City, Cedar Point and Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

I don't think it was a lack of respect. You have to realize local parks like Silver Dollar City or Dollywood are not in the same league as Disney or Universal. People don't typically plan big vacations to go to those. People instead go to those for a day or weekend trip.

The Trip Advisor list doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Like Craig mentioned on the podcast people don't really go and review full theme parks. Its also the internet and like Rotten Tomatoes you're going to have varying levels of reviews.

I don't think anyone doubts those smaller local parks are fun, have good food, and good attractions but like I said its hard to compare the two.

If you go ONE on ONE....let's say Silver Dollar City vs Epcot in its current incarnation, I'll take Silver Dollar City any day of the week.

I've done Disney and SDC at Christmas and SDC has them beat if you are looking only at park vs park and eliminate the extraordinarily high cost of MVMCP.

Silver Dollar City is an amazing place steeped in history and the celebration of the American craftsman. Their Christmas shows are PHENOMENAL. Definitely on par with anything Disney produces...I might even give the edge to SDC there.

Thematically, SDC beats both DHS and Epcot. I mean, we call DHS "hollywood studios" but we all know it's really PIXAR/Star Wars that keeps that place open. The original elements are all but gone. It ties both MK and AK.

Disney does win in the nighttime shows/fireworks arena and their parades are better.

Food? As in general park food not things like California Grill, etc...SDC hands down again.

Staff? Pretty equal in terms of guest service.

Location? Um, I'll give it to SDC. I only go to Florida for Disney. The Ozarks are beautiful.

I'd also choose SDC over IOA or US simply because I can't muster any interest in those whatsoever.

I usually travel across the US in summer visiting multiple theme parks for vacation. I will fully admit it did bother me a bit and it felt liked they looked down on the parks that aren't Disney. The US has some of the best parks in the world and wish more people would give these parks a chance.

One last thing to add is good thing they didn't look at USA today amusement park poll. There was not a single Disney or Universal park on it. The top 3 were Silver Dollar City, Cedar Point and Busch Gardens Williamsburg.
Well, promoting other theme parks takes away from the business model.

If you go ONE on ONE....let's say Silver Dollar City vs Epcot in its current incarnation, I'll take Silver Dollar City any day of the week.

I've done Disney and SDC at Christmas and SDC has them beat if you are looking only at park vs park and eliminate the extraordinarily high cost of MVMCP.

Silver Dollar City is an amazing place steeped in history and the celebration of the American craftsman. Their Christmas shows are PHENOMENAL. Definitely on par with anything Disney produces...I might even give the edge to SDC there.

Thematically, SDC beats both DHS and Epcot. I mean, we call DHS "hollywood studios" but we all know it's really PIXAR/Star Wars that keeps that place open. The original elements are all but gone. It ties both MK and AK.

Disney does win in the nighttime shows/fireworks arena and their parades are better.

Food? As in general park food not things like California Grill, etc...SDC hands down again.

Staff? Pretty equal in terms of guest service.

Location? Um, I'll give it to SDC. I only go to Florida for Disney. The Ozarks are beautiful.

I'd also choose SDC over IOA or US simply because I can't muster any interest in those whatsoever.
To each their own. Those smaller more regional parks don’t draw me like Disney and Universal.

I think a major disparity between the regional/local amusement parks to Disney/Universal is the IP themed lands/attractions. I don't know of a single amusement park that has spawned an attraction into a major film (let alone multiple). The global recognition of the Disney/Universal brand is orders of magnitude stronger than others; and to some, that is what further drives a consumer perception distance.

hey i wouldnt complain to much here in new england we dont have many theme parks or amusement parks that people talk about

Yeah I wouldn't consider any of our theme parks "destinations" - but I do love Canobie Lake for a day trip!

I think a major disparity between the regional/local amusement parks to Disney/Universal is the IP themed lands/attractions. I don't know of a single amusement park that has spawned an attraction into a major film (let alone multiple). The global recognition of the Disney/Universal brand is orders of magnitude stronger than others; and to some, that is what further drives a consumer perception distance.
IP based lands aren't a draw for me. IMO Epcot was much better without all the IP that's being added. A great attraction is a great attraction regardless of IP attached to it. Disney's best coaster, Everest, isn't IP based. IMO some of the regional parks have some the best atmosphere. For me what makes a park is hearing the screams of people on all the rides.

IP based lands aren't a draw for me. IMO Epcot was much better without all the IP that's being added. A great attraction is a great attraction regardless of IP attached to it. Disney's best coaster, Everest, isn't IP based. IMO some of the regional parks have some the best atmosphere. For me what makes a park is hearing the screams of people on all the rides.
That makes an amusement park IMO. A theme park is about immersion and being lost in different worlds IP or not. Disney parks from the start were all about separation of the outside world and even inside separation of areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter