The THYROID Thread

neck.jpg

So it's been just over a month since my surgery. I'm still feeling really tired all the time but otherwise I feel just fine. My voice is fine! Such a relief! The first 2-3 days after weren't fun at all but pretty much started to feel better after that. Didn't drive for 2 weeks as I didn't feel I had the movement to turn my neck, but since I had 2 weeks off that was just fine. I spent a lot of time in bed watching shows...after the first 3 days which I mostly slept. Travel pillow was the BEST suggestion anyone gave me on fb.

View attachment 778789

So it's been just over a month since my surgery. I'm still feeling really tired all the time but otherwise I feel just fine. My voice is fine! Such a relief! The first 2-3 days after weren't fun at all but pretty much started to feel better after that. Didn't drive for 2 weeks as I didn't feel I had the movement to turn my neck, but since I had 2 weeks off that was just fine. I spent a lot of time in bed watching shows...after the first 3 days which I mostly slept. Travel pillow was the BEST suggestion anyone gave me on fb.
So very happy to hear about your voice.
And your scar looks amazing Heather (Yes, what a weird sentence!😁)

Mine did not look that good so quickly. But weirdly enough I did not even care. I kept waiting for vanity to jump on in, it just never did.

So relieved with your voice, I have to comment again. That is wonderful news.
Maybe you should go sing for the other surgeon. Insert wink.

So very happy to hear about your voice.
And your scar looks amazing Heather (Yes, what a weird sentence!😁)

Mine did not look that good so quickly. But weirdly enough I did not even care. I kept waiting for vanity to jump on in, it just never did.

So relieved with your voice, I have to comment again. That is wonderful news.
Maybe you should go sing for the other surgeon. Insert wink.
I believe I got very lucky with my incision and my scar. It's really looked good from day 8. It never swelled. I was taking as much rest as I could and lots of cold compresses. Thank you very much! <3

Thank you so much for the voice comment too! I am literally so relieved. SO RELIEVED! I'm aiming to try and get up on stage with Shania Twain at her concert in November! Best believe I'll be shouting out to "the doctor who said I'd never sing again if I let him do my surgery" ;) I'm so very glad I switched to the Cancer Care team in Winnipeg!

Heather - glad to hear your update and great news about your voice. Seeing Shania sounds great! My cousin saw her in concert too. Hoping your pathology report is good as well.
My update - the pulmonologist said the mass is still there but shrinking. Late fall I will have another ct to check on the aortic implant I have from the vascular surgeon so the pulmonologist will look at it as well.
Hope everyone is doing well. Check in when you can.

Heather - glad to hear your update and great news about your voice. Seeing Shania sounds great! My cousin saw her in concert too. Hoping your pathology report is good as well.
My update - the pulmonologist said the mass is still there but shrinking. Late fall I will have another ct to check on the aortic implant I have from the vascular surgeon so the pulmonologist will look at it as well.
Well he said right now my FreeT3 and FreeT4 are both in good range. I will have another blood test done in late October to check it again.

I'm glad your mass is shrinking!!

Wonderful to hear that it is shrinking,. luvmarypoppins.

Here's to continued improvements on all fronts.

This thread has been quiet. Hope everyone is doing well.
Check in when you can.
I had a telehealth visit with my endocrinologist today. It was not good news. I already saw my blood test results on the portal. My tg cancer marker went from 4 to 11 and the sonogram looks ok.
She feels the cancer is back for the 3rd time. Probably in the neck.
She is doing repeat blood work in about 6 weeks and I will have a coordinated ct of my aorta (a little early) and my neck so I will only have one dose of contrast.
Depending on that a pet scan and possible biopsy. It will be a busy fall but for all the wrong reasons.
I am glad I have a lot of faith. It has helped through my life and all these cancer journeys.
Say some prayers!

Check in when you can.
I had a telehealth visit with my endocrinologist today. It was not good news. I already saw my blood test results on the portal. My tg cancer marker went from 4 to 11 and the sonogram looks ok.
She is doing repeat blood work in about 6 weeks and I will have a coordinated ct of my aorta (a little early) and my neck so I will only have one dose of contrast.
Depending on that a pet scan and possible biopsy. It will be a busy fall but for all the wrong reasons.
I am glad I have a lot of faith. It has helped through my life and all these cancer journeys.
Say some prayers!
Sorry to hear you have got bad news. :( So far I'm doing good. Scar is healing really well. I have another blood test in October to check my thyroid levels and the dr will decide if I need any thyroid meds or not. And I know we will be monitoring the remaining side of my thyroid to make sure nothing pops up over there. (other than the one nodule that came back non-cancerous and it's very small)

Check in when you can.
Say some prayers!
Sorry to hear this report. So scary to go through. It sounds like your Doctor is being proactive and catching it early, so hopefully things will go well. Keeping you in my prayers.

Sorry to hear you have got bad news. :( So far I'm doing good. Scar is healing really well. I have another blood test in October to check my thyroid levels and the dr will decide if I need any thyroid meds or not. And I know we will be monitoring the remaining side of my thyroid to make sure nothing pops up over there. (other than the one nodule that came back non-cancerous and it's very small)
Glad to hear things are going well Heather. So important that we remember to keep monitoring our health. I ended up with an extra Ultrasound last year due to swollen nodes (products of a bad cold) but even that was a little stressful. I have my next follow-up scheduled for January.

I came across some YouTube videos of a doctor explaining Thyroid issues this past week. I watched a few of them. It was good reminders of things to watch for and do. He had a lot of focus on people who still have their thyroids, which I do not, but it was good to refresh myself on things like when/how to take my medicine and remembering the difference between T3 and T4. There are several more he has done, and some day I will find the inclination and time to watch them as well.

Check in when you can.
Say some prayers!
Hello! I haven't been to this forum in a while. I keep forgetting about it. Sorry to hear about the potential recurrence. Hope they can locate it and take care of it. Keeping you in my thoughts!

I tried an experiment of using a T3/T4 combination. I don't know why. I've been on T4 for SO long and my numbers are always good but I wonder if I could feel better some day? My doctor was really open to it and using whatever formulation I wanted. I went with synthetic T3 added to T4. Lowered T4 added T3. Honestly, I didn't feel great. I couldn't sleep a few nights even though I took the T3 earlier in the day. I gave up the experiment!

I tried an experiment of using a T3/T4 combination. I don't know why. I've been on T4 for SO long and my numbers are always good but I wonder if I could feel better some day? My doctor was really open to it and using whatever formulation I wanted. I went with synthetic T3 added to T4. Lowered T4 added T3. Honestly, I didn't feel great. I couldn't sleep a few nights even though I took the T3 earlier in the day. I gave up the experiment!
How frustrating.

Hello and Thanksgiving Blessings to you.
My update - I am in a rehab center after fracturing my femur. The biopsy showed lung cancer cells in my lesion. Also had a brain mri.
The oncologist had me do the pet scan. I didn’t ligh up much. One vertebrae in my spine and something questionable in my spleen.
He thinks it could be thyroid cancer that has morphed into something else. Because thyroid cancer doesn’t light up much on pet scans.
He wants to use the biopsy if it’s good enough for genetic testing.
He hasn’t figured me out yet and wants me to see the radiation oncologist and back to pulmonologist.
Monday going to surgeon. My knee is sore because of the rod and screws.
What an adventure. I am thankful to God and for my faith.
Check in when you can.

Hello and Thanksgiving Blessings to you.
My update - I am in a rehab center after fracturing my femur. The biopsy showed lung cancer cells in my lesion. Also had a brain mri.
The oncologist had me do the pet scan. I didn’t ligh up much. One vertebrae in my spine and something questionable in my spleen.
He thinks it could be thyroid cancer that has morphed into something else. Because thyroid cancer doesn’t light up much on pet scans.
He wants to use the biopsy if it’s good enough for genetic testing.
He hasn’t figured me out yet and wants me to see the radiation oncologist and back to pulmonologist.
Monday going to surgeon. My knee is sore because of the rod and screws.
What an adventure. I am thankful to God and for my faith.
Check in when you can.

Hi LMP, just now seeing this many days after you posted. Sorry to hear of all these complications. I am so confused (as are you I'm sure). If it's lung cancer cells in the femur/lesion then it's a lung cancer correct? I realize that thyroid cancer can metastize to other places but then it would still show up as thyroid cancer even in another body part. And how can thyroid cancer "turn into" something else? I know it can get more and more poorly differentiated but it's still thyroid cancer, right? I don't expect you to know the answer--these are just questions that I am pondering in my head.

I hope they figure it all out soon so you can get on a path to treating it. I hope by now you are out of the rehab.

Merry almost Christmas everyone!
I am finally home! What an answer to prayers!
I had to have another surgery on 12/12. The screw almost was out so they removed it. I think 4 remain.
I will be having home pt twice a week.
The radiation oncologist said I can do 10 sessions over 2 week. 10 minutes leg one week and 10 minutes spine 2nd week or a week combined 25 minutes for both.
The first half of the genetic testing is back and oncologist said it’s thyroid cancer.
Check in when you can.

Merry almost Christmas everyone!
I am finally home! What an answer to prayers!
I had to have another surgery on 12/12. The screw almost was out so they removed it. I think 4 remain.
I will be having home pt twice a week.
The radiation oncologist said I can do 10 sessions over 2 week. 10 minutes leg one week and 10 minutes spine 2nd week or a week combined 25 minutes for both.
The first half of the genetic testing is back and oncologist said it’s thyroid cancer.
Check in when you can.
Hey, lmp, good to hear from you. I need to set this thread for notifications as I am always late getting back to it.

So glad to hear your are home. Now that they know they are dealing with thyroid cancer, how will they treat it? Is it papillary thyroid cancer or some other type?

Happy New Year everyone . Hope you are all doing well.
I am starting radiation Thursday. It will be 5 sessions of 25 min. The positions are terrible so they are giving me some oxy to take the edge off.
Next week I have a telehealth with the endo. Just saw my blood test results. The tsh is 2.04. In Sept. it was .44. I don’t know if she will change the synthroid dose.
Still doing home pt. Don’t like the new guy I have.
Saw the orthopedic oncology surgeon. He was kind of doomy and gloomy. Said the cancer made a humongous (his word) hole in my leg. Then the regular oncologist said I’m doing well and it’s slow growing. Hmm, two different opinions. I will see them both again in February and have a ct too.
Check in when you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter