The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

::yes:: But a lot of great food along the way.
The scenery may not be as dramatic down this way as it is in other places…
But we do excel in the realm of grub.

Well, they always look forward to dinner because it's not PB&J.
And being kids (with access to electronics and rubik's cubes),
they are quite adept at ignoring random adults.

I would think I'd need to cut the guy out of the left side of the photo as well.
Well that might farther improve the image somewhat, but only to a very limited degree.

I need to find my copy of that book again.
Do believe you’re credited for authoring a couple of chapters…
I think you can wing it from here.

How is one supposed to eat that thing??
With a Pro Bono porter and “floppy” chips on the side.

I can never get my wife to dress like that, either.
So far as we know…

Wow, thanks! I'll try and remember to do so.
You’d do the same and you know it.
(just get me a shipping adder and we’ll correct the oversight)

Yes, absolutely! Now that this year's trip is over I'll be researching next year in earnest. I'd been planning on seeing Hurricane Ridge, Ruby Beach, and the Hoh Rain Forest.
I’ll come back to this one in a separate post…
(or to your inbox if you’d rather I not be unduly cluttering up your current masterpiece)

Be careful what you ask for.
Thankyou sir, may I have another!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
One can rarely err when quoting Adam Savage.

Miss those guys.

Nice. Well, it might have been longer if we hadn't had to stop for PB&J.

This is right and just.... to be expected with the Oblivious family.

I'm sure a lot of it is psychological. At the end you have nothing to look forward to.

Yep.
And in my case.... Saskatchewan is much less interesting than North Dakota.

She let me have a bite. No way she was eating all of that.

No single human can possibly eat all of that.

That's the plan! Now I just need the cash.

<sigh> Yeah....... it always comes down to that, doesn't it?

We really had a fun week! And traveling with extended family made me really appreciate my own family even more. :rotfl:

:laughing:

The scenery may not be as dramatic down this way as it is in other places…
But we do excel in the realm of grub.

Truth. ::yes::

And being kids (with access to electronics and rubik's cubes),
they are quite adept at ignoring random adults.

They ignore familiar adults too!

Well that might farther improve the image somewhat, but only to a very limited degree.

I feel comfortable saying my appearance has never improved any image.

Do believe you’re credited for authoring a couple of chapters…
I think you can wing it from here.

Always remember the first rule of parenting: I have no idea what I'm doing.

With a Pro Bono porter and “floppy” chips on the side.

I could live with that.

So far as we know…

No, it's true.

You’d do the same and you know it.
(just get me a shipping adder and we’ll correct the oversight)

Thank you, sir!

I’ll come back to this one in a separate post…
(or to your inbox if you’d rather I not be unduly cluttering up your current masterpiece)

Either way works for me!

Thankyou sir, may I have another!

Why would you do that to yourself?

One can rarely err when quoting Adam Savage.

Miss those guys.

Yeah, me too. I watched the new version with different hosts. It was fun, but it was missing something.

This is right and just.... to be expected with the Oblivious family.

For the first time ever, we brought the PB&J tradition to Disney World this year.

Yep.
And in my case.... Saskatchewan is much less interesting than North Dakota.

Now you've reached a description that is beyond anything I can imagine.

No single human can possibly eat all of that.

Very true.

<sigh> Yeah....... it always comes down to that, doesn't it?

:sad1:

For the first time ever, we brought the PB&J tradition to Disney World this year.

Woot! Another world milestone!

Now you've reached a description that is beyond anything I can imagine.

My eyes are still glazed over.
You have to be really careful there... The dullness rubs off.

And now you have to ask me about the "Banjo Bowl".

Yes, absolutely! Now that this year's trip is over I'll be researching next year in earnest. I'd been planning on seeing Hurricane Ridge, Ruby Beach, and the Hoh Rain Forest.
Good plan as that’s the bulk of the highlights

A few questions first…
About when do you think you’ll be out that way?

Which direction do you think you’ll be traveling; from the Sound over toward the coast, or the other way round heading from the ocean toward Seattle?

Are y’all planning to spend any time in Seattle itself?
I can offer a few observations about that.

I figure that you’re also planning to hit Mt Rainier NP as well.
That one is our agenda the next time we go out, so I don’t have any advice from experience just yet.
I do, however, have a lot of research on that park if you’re interested.

Now, as for Olympic NP…

And I’ll make the rest of this post easy for your readers to ignore
(after all, they don’t come here to listen to me)

The crux of our trip out there this time (and most times) was to spend a goodly portion of the time I’m allotted to be with family, so we’re limited on how much extracurricular stuff we can get into per trip. As such, we haven’t gotten down to the rain forest area of the park yet, so Hoh will have to wait for another expedition. I’ll be looking forward to hearing about your experiences there.

We did drive US-101 around the peninsula and out to the coast, and that is one very nice drive.

Rather than Ruby Beach though, we went to Realto Beach which is also in the park but not as far south (because we had some back tracking to do). The two beaches are similar as far as encountering pebble laden shores, vast driftwood logs and haunting sea stacks. Ruby Beach is easier to access directly off of US-101 though and being as y’all are headed on to or from Hoh it will likely make a better stop for you. Here’s a bit of what we saw at Realto…

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG
DSC_0152.JPG

One warning…
We encountered some road construction on US-101 along the way. Hopefully, they’ll be done with the project be the time you get there, but if not be sure to add time into you schedule for that. We got stopped only once each way, but it was about a half hour lost each time as we waited on a pilot truck to take a line of cars several miles down one side of the road or the other.

Also keep in mind US-101 is vastly more crowded on the weekends so you’ll need to add more time if you have to travel the road on a Saturday or Sunday.

Now then, back to the park…

We did the climb up to Hurricane ridge twice; once in the dark (and I’ll get back to that), and once with the normal folk to actually see the vistas. It’s a gorgeous area offering great views across the entire Olympic range. Unlike the grand volcanos that dominate the Cascades to the east, most of the peaks in the Olympic range are similar in height. This gives a perception is that they’re not quite as dramatic as what a travel posters would have you focus on, but there are so many peaks all being forced up by the subduction of the Pacific plate that it’s still pretty mind boggling…

DSC_0256.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG
DSC_0312.JPG

The main hiking trails are paved and for the most part easy to traverse. There is one that heads up a right steep grade to the highest point on that part of the ridge. We looked at it and considered the condition of our joint (along with the fact that we’re old and seriously out of shape) and said… naaaa. That said, Y’all are still pups and I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t pull that bit of it off. There are also a number of rougher trails heading down into the valleys but I imagine you’ll be a mite pressed for overall time. There is an unpaved road (that also adds to the entertainment by lacking guard-rails as well) which heads several miles farther along the ridge to a couple of far more adventurous trail heads. You could dive it for the sport of it, but I believe you’ll need park hiking passes to continue on from there.

Second warning…
We encountered more road construction on the access road to the ridge. Again, may they be done before next summer but if not you’ll be waiting on a pilot truck to lead you up and down part of this trek as well.

Now, as for us being up on the ridge in the middle of the night…
My young’en made only one specific request for something he wanted to experience while we were out that way: a true Dark Sky. As an east coast dweller, you’re well aware that we will never see the vast majority of the night time sky so long as we stay on this half of the continent. The prolific amount of light pollution east of the Mississippi prevents it. Things are different in parts of the west though and as it turns out, Olympic is high enough and remote enough to provide such an opportunity.

As luck would have it, there is also an Astronomy club that works with the park to offer sky viewings at no charge (including waiving the park entrance fee) during the summer time near the visitor’s center at the top of the ridge. They set up a couple of rather large armature telescopes (and sometimes more) during the ten-ish day periods starting before a new moon and up until about the first quarter moon depending on its orbit and times for setting and rising. Officially beginning at about 11pm (weather permitting) they offer viewings, lectures and field pretty much any question you care to ask. Now I figure that y’all have already done similar things while you were in Utah and Nevada, but it was quite the experience for us. I’d never in my entire life, actually seen the Milky Way with my own eyes, much less the myriad of stars that fill a truly dark evening sky. The other really cool thing was being able to watch satellite pass over head. We must have caught sight of near a dozen different dots moving quickly from one horizon to the next. No binoculars needed (but I’d recommend bring some just the same). Now that is something I simply cannot do where I live.
(too bad I don’t have any pictures of that)

The Park will include information on this in their semiannual newsletter, but you can also check the website maintained by the astronomer group:

http://www.olympictelescope.com/

Another easy stop in the park that we made on this last trip was at the Storm King Mtn. Ranger Station. This in right off of US-101 just west of Port Angeles where the road winds along the bank of Crescent Lake. It’s a good picnic spot and a great place to takin in views of the lake…

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

But it also offers a short and fairly easy hike through some old growth forest to Marymere Falls…

DSC_0097.JPG

Even we were able to pull this trek off with little trouble.
(Although the stair climb at the end of the trail was a bit more challenging to me and the missus)

There are a few other falls and hikes in that area along the Elwha River, but there was some road damage from flooding and there is also limited access to that valley while they are tearing down the old damns to restore the natural flow of the river into the straits. Check on the progress of that project as you get closer to travel time to see if any of that is possible or worth your while.

Don’t think this will fit your schedule, but something else that you could consider while y’all are in the Port Angeles area would be a day trip over to Victoria, BC. There is a Ferry that travels several times a day back and forth across the strait between the two cities. We’ve done this a few times including once on July 1st while they were celebrating Canada Day. Victoria is always picturesque, but there were having quite the party while we were there.

OK, I’ve probably wasted enough of your time so I’ll hush up for now.
Holler if there’s anything else I may be able to share our experience on and I’ll speak up if I re-remember something else that might be useful.

Attachments

• DSC_0252.JPG
    DSC_0252.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 3
Woot! Another world milestone!

I don't think the kids were celebrating.

My eyes are still glazed over.
You have to be really careful there... The dullness rubs off.

And now you have to ask me about the "Banjo Bowl".

That sounds...wonderful.

Ok, so what's the Banjo Bowl?

Good plan as that’s the bulk of the highlights

A few questions first…
About when do you think you’ll be out that way?

It's looking like next summer, say late July.

Which direction do you think you’ll be traveling; from the Sound over toward the coast, or the other way round heading from the ocean toward Seattle?

The current plan (subject to change, of course) would call for us to fly into Seattle and then immediately drive up to the Port Angeles area. Spend the night, then be ready to attack Olympic starting with Hurricane Ridge first thing in the morning. We'd be going counter-clockwise.

Are y’all planning to spend any time in Seattle itself?
I can offer a few observations about that.

Yes, definitely. At least one full day, maybe a day-and-a-half.

I figure that you’re also planning to hit Mt Rainier NP as well.
That one is our agenda the next time we go out, so I don’t have any advice from experience just yet.
I do, however, have a lot of research on that park if you’re interested.

Also on the agenda! So, yes--hit me with whatever you got.

Now, as for Olympic NP…

And I’ll make the rest of this post easy for your readers to ignore
(after all, they don’t come here to listen to me)

Thanks! I'll dig into this soon.

Bonus Chapter 1: Making a Clean Getaway

There comes a time in every parent’s life when he or she looks in the mirror and exclaims, “Holy crap. I’m exhausted.” That time is 9:37 p.m., daily.

Julie and I have been parents for over 16 years now, and so we know the value of getting a break. A long weekend together or even a night out—just a few hours with no responsibilities is a wonderful lifeline for our marriage. So we always look for excuses to have some time alone.

This summer, we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary, so naturally that was a wonderful excuse to do something by ourselves. Given our love of travel, it seemed natural to try and plan a spectacular 20th anniversary getaway. We dreamed big—at least until budgetary concerns got in the way.

We considered a Disney Cruise—they had just introduced new cruises out of New York to Bermuda. That sounded great! But the cost became a concern. We considered Costa Rica—and again, cost became a concern. We looked hard at a tropical getaway to the island of St. John. Hurricane Irma ended up removing that idea from the board.

We strongly considered a trip to Southern California. We’ve heard great things about San Diego but have never visited, so it would be new to us. And it was awfully tempting to catch up with Alison and Fran at Disneyland again (and, of course, finally ride the Indiana Jones ride). I’d spent a good amount of time researching that idea. But then another monkey wrench was thrown into the plans—we were also planning Drew’s first trip to Disney World for the summer. My parents and my brother and sister-in-law and their family were coming along as well, and the date we agreed upon was July 21. This was just a mere three weeks after the timeframe we were looking at for the anniversary getaway. Julie decided she didn’t want to do two Disney parks back-to-back, given how we typically exhaust ourselves on Disney property. She wanted some variety, and I don’t think she was wrong.

So, we needed something relatively affordable and not related to Disney. We finally hit upon the idea of seeing some sites we’d missed on our first trip out west.

We’d traveled to the American Southwest in summer of 2014. At the time, Drew was only 5 months old. We were still able to cover a good bit of ground, but we had to make some sacrifices so we didn’t spend too long in the car with a newborn. We couldn’t do as much hiking as we would have liked. And so, even though we’d seen some wonderful sites such as Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Grand Canyon National Parks, we still had some unfinished business in Utah and Arizona. I did some research, found some availability for lodging, got everything arranged under budget, and just like that, the 20th Anniversary Spectacular became the Unfinished Business Vacation.

My parents graciously agreed to take care of the kids for the week. Suckers!

I mean, uh, thanks Mom and Dad!

Julie and I flew out of Baltimore. Philadelphia airport is closer and an easier drive for us, but for some reason flights out of Baltimore are always cheaper. Also, the Philly airport is a dump, while BWI is much nicer. So it’s usually worth the extra 45 minutes on the road.

We flew non-stop to Las Vegas and had no issues with our travel. I’d used our Costco membership to rent a car, and once again, it saved us a lot of money. I made the reservation early on and then kept checking prices, and it seemed like every time I checked, the price had dropped. So I kept cancelling and re-booking again and again. Thank goodness they don’t charge for that. I’m guessing the rental companies had a lot of unreserved inventory.

As always, the goal when flying into Vegas was to get out of Vegas as quickly as possible. Now, I know some of you greatly enjoy Vegas and I’m not here to rain on your parade. Vegas just isn’t my thing. I’m not a drinker, I’m not a gambler, and I’m not a womanizer. I’m sure many of the shows and entertainment are excellent, but I feel like if I want to see world-class man-made entertainment, I can stick with Disney or Broadway and not have to put up with the less-savory aspects of Vegas.

We got in our rental, sped onto the freeway, and promptly got stuck in construction traffic. Stupid highway engineers.

We made exactly one stop in Las Vegas: we went to the drive-through at a McDonald’s, because a 5-hour flight is a long haul when you’re only given peanuts to snack on. Of course we regretted eating McDonald’s later, but as Jim Gaffigan says, those 7 minutes after getting a box of McDonald’s French fries straight out of the fryer are pretty heavenly.

Temperatures were in the 100’s so we were grateful that the air-conditioner in the car was working. Yes, it’s a “dry” heat. So is an oven.

Within a couple of hours, we’d crossed into Arizona and then Utah, headed northeast on I-15. Just north of the town of St. George, we spotted a wildfire burning on top of a mountain. We’d actually seen the smoke during our flight.

KPzeZ25Lmgwst60Qt33buZiWOy4E9mpDkVRIX7H--34TWoEAGb1SI-EgVXeOMmPYfHNlFvSXk3bXOxY4xaOp0dJNcu9DTrTkwzXcJdRrRoSlBncpSICAt5x03OjW1C15XJOq_PKEcKZ0jib4DTVw2phxkRpW5lM-_yn6THiNpn_JCheohYHOMwTVbat3VihAVflJ59Bi9nWMq_aK1wmaXhdUKvmO7-WK24xJLojraGI_OYxyv9xAVVmWYy2kUqwL-7FOHDUDzr5gKl1H4ntNbCUUxV92kvbuq7gQ2uejvmyFZ8kg8JSkft78PhqXb1l-bL91obQ-iettL4GkedKBujZ4Zcpfiv55ilg0tWJWxWkNiqwkVJ0UG452iXZsa4a0NuqhYufLMGe_2BPx2mT8z2vEQddqGl1Fa3EvJ3I08MGlSv4sZbVMg-JeVP7q_m2WD20lmckfu80xlMaiy1SYGrZtv52z1R_J4jWzEN6auF_t4gW9sxaIMT94DxctQdI1RCRt5i2SqHG8V6fq7WSGmVVaf4DnhPUJ7zWIyPEKporABa-H5-kzxlqD3GFMOa_1nNSYRSL9zqdotLNFy6iX827LjKcPtcGyRIcTLj3e=w1154-h769-no

That had us worried. Wildfires can create smoke clouds that extend for miles and miles. If the wind shifted, it would head right over our destinations, where it could obscure our views, darken the skies, and make for poor air quality. That leads to less-than-memorable vacation photos and memories.

OFDVonbJbigdtLhRCzdD7NL1AyaFZIlIbW2UzHE8KhMitlcygNtU7V1mA2w1jk8ZVaRLjQDeDENFOv8ARQnfXcJTy1MC2GZh4iqdExf-Sfq5c9RHjKiRW9gKBh-cBBK0ye2WwAYg1lVPOQqgXzdE0M722uHmrmpNdXfTgZjKCQcHe5nBDS5I9cHVG1WFI9PGB_91E1BB-8cCdhf_4SPJi0R285WoqJr44kJhcexYVhoJMZAHTfG5IHiZZRz2wXuAt--93BpWNllCrPbNCutW5N1AJ6rTOjVQUFFdTvL3Rvt_zG9WNdv5A3Ul2Xyv9ZHoVixkvte1EW1BQOfUIL7s6qz-cqw66o8Sf7N9uO58nOGJiKe1FFA7aDWoAGznAkCZbBkz9BPvCJdylgZhDL-M1tBqQ9vlEr1DRq99P_DVDTh-Zyd2yihZ01vP4oKok62M1v-2HqVc1Y4ayhCBAI7S9iiUPRA-_s3fsY37gqaL9es71FXXy8dWUJxpwO1Mj4JrzR7h0dvaQn4Z4IJzyaZlkWDyNk3b4IuPSZcm5NdJyL5gM17DJvXaAGga_0KqTV9wAz5G6Ph_kISpHPUE037XGAWW1T8y10O1A5wzApWk=w1154-h769-no

Fires can also kill people and wildlife and destroy homes, so I’m sure we were worried about that, too. Anyway, it was something to keep an eye on.

We’d planned for our first stop to be at the Kolob Canyons section of Zion National Park. This was not new—we’d stopped here in 2014 on our way to Cedar City. But we knew it was a beautiful view and it was a nice spot to break up the drive, so why not? We’ll just take the exit and look for the entrance sign. Ah, there it is.

VGSZZZxJA7LiZYs2LEVYPYkv-LOVwj_iWmXZS2vO7Csa9-HnNkKM_SfsQveV32s88rC4R0KbmO1g8KImNlNMtIPOZKsYdFTVdi3nKwhTZLLxCqVwqpel-qhJg2cBX99eKmT7wibi8M80s_5juq92afKpF6ceJ7yFwXu3utwL4xERMSFde-E_cj2nD9AUWTS8faEmP51UnodVD9GqAwAuxSdMXkx_mfF9mnQ7-P9QNc2JwwZtnZoWJhPzAY1EiR7NT_esQ2kEPUHYaTEVSVZpK__W9hh8bMgF6e18bAPPPeSUCq_0qUM4wE_9-baO6Cvmy1s0OJ0-L5vPmbGl02TKG1lOqBhQPxBTsjHnymIN-rzgk7DbJHd43hWKIu4JfyBhxedrNbGJIvmjBDBpH4-y99_FOw4BxB30ze7J3D7kPFW046otms-PKFYeAH3o-ruXje1my2FAloPfRqyupI2ykQHW3OR26mmZM2GzdWP12r5vKl2KAPOTOxHzhWudKLVXqwmTGNS12OOLD-L4yRPY_yGXePk7Vi3qQ40o3JhFVbcXbyQVfjhc9YXIJ5QTHUj8uxVgxfA2xcHUe7VDTh42sxmmjgpIYCSLFNakhL4u=w513-h769-no

And now we’ll just turn onto the access road, and…

2IVK4rG4oSZ2fXl6R4KyjzPo8EEljI9mfnxLdc3Yc27ej696Zb8qAc1tzOv0KCJaYUgo-Hp0Mf_L-2W0rWr3gMbDGCpz87uSn7kellv_rpYbinkdU0SuW4gN4c7zoIyP8zAs37qIVXIM4dWeDmFr_7yF6xXTyilAV6_BHOCyjGSfEr5-eWtIz7Fnw-1wap2jOieuo5tEA1UUaWsk6DWseaFSEq2HLzhu_blhq-hYiQJDQOqjNX20Aju7qJaEnUsT8Rab_-Fje1IP2ZHbw2gXBXnLXqVC24kJ8KLhmvqNMZvz4fQ2GEG1HI8ER_K2zU78-mZUnMT1KeWrpuLGDVg5YtsoZ2YMQ3tg8zcxlJlnb-00wyuc5v6ulGtD3ha7PFbE3Qbta4lNNwg_qMMMnGyimIwWPH6yFsBdz60fUA3coApGkU2JwhzKjZv8pKfLBqpNVZt_3ysPknH3S8EQspXc2eLkazjvDEx9AVoemM-p3KH5qBTTzb2yIBLSKwPLe-xVzkpwqI09avxBPky0rxWcmiEbLjFl2_5xwaLWGSdWIpUGW1FRcrPRQDus99cxB0roUHTyK4se8mlPcYiE-Ck8P3zH23ppqridbYYdTOE8=w1154-h769-no

Welp. So much for that idea. Moving on.

We stopped in Cedar City to get some bottled water and snacks (note: NO peanut butter or jelly!) at a Walmart. It’s always reassuring to know that no matter where you are in the country, no one at a Walmart is willing to walk 20 extra feet to a cart return bay when they can just leave the shopping cart occupying the parking space you’d like to turn into.

We also stopped for dinner at a place called The Pizza Cart. At one time, this business was just what its name implies: it was a food cart, stationed in a hardware store parking lot. They had an actual honest-to-goodness wood-fired oven on the cart and would serve fresh pizzas to patrons looking for a quick meal in the parking lot. Evidently their business did so well, they were able to open their own brick-and-mortar location in a shopping center in southern Cedar City. It was a neat little place, and it’s hard to beat a wood-fired oven for quality pizza.

JPLsP3thvUbw5bDdlBftxPY9IiQ-JBhqWJCY1Lp2FBMrwrujoYKmOk040ZI5-dDq7zPbnmclzBJmLN8VQ-W8bRylySH7U6WPWvsw3S2dO1Q7E-098_d0QIgDyqjWt8mD5df3AmKraWrPDULwjy38GHuAMnTOC6Q7y8DRo4tQwCJ4SwpIxzpHIrAo7eGYlmqq9cNLYao7zs7sLBOhCJlekpaynohWSF1epuO90ix7R7DPfUheRJHguiZ3yOlN9TYMO2drKjvjlUMZH252aH9j1PvDEA8_kYuIjim_nZq6YcAO6aRJs3O1wa0pl341VGZZgHCBz5Q_eek9aHborlGYiWr4JyRbt3K-Ew_bFSi8tbLLvcti-0isCHAZxxlL82z1fDkW_oTyPLUSw4Vc9pNEeOVZOEnHXrkElHiLzdwklViy3jPsQfD93TELeA4IALLcm4z704P3nKId4yqExVl0v-8yK4zvmoDBOzdbZwL5Q92eDo9mZ9P8u6U52VK-9zw_2jqBFLwztUz0ieYMfxwytwtsJyPs_tzmXNTHlr4u0FAGtM6lCzk2Mq8BAN1yIi9S3BkStQKFzOAOVwpD1naJEYGssorQvY5dFB3NP5tZ=w1026-h769-no

-J-1K3r4fPs89SbgKtb-4ISqwE8SDVZMtSlyr1J-9l1M0EvlGB6Q0vc5tqrhtRNWzA4_QEtFSuLuXkGPEzX4SCtgkIxcx1llEQMQsNZyAvBKYeNDn77bn7vKYhT0EqY63tSUfpBexWLAwfYrGMqOgQSwofFH8GZOgpRt2URITliixcfXvTYheR8YdTXoD6cREJEMl4jXjD3eYzhDSc6P2H9PpuwDPid3SGzBs6AkxYrVC-rWScLaKewB3dIMllJO5ebu0YlWYIb-_VSIDFAqfZZoyaw0Akc2_BBK4oqYUdRLH6j18gb4BCdC0UjsngVdVrdeRTPBvSNJw4-tLdc7wtvVxvrcbH8eG4YHKKcixE3mgIPiwegNJUcCxUhqkHlpS74demNau3bBH0w3cAHxRoA7ocuVKnq_KqtwygZfCIcF7hAhnx5mpvFPhqCUdJz401Bb9FJeoVtUu1PVPmCClUnRQ-fIniwdyndF2VdqUVw2lboXmovnGyyvRFvXpOquiQEaCQ7h1CqXq4zI78qq8tOYknYSMNko5Lu-cdbJicpVWnjJGGom5MYNED5bEch6rvCnuL4_oAL_0mnvPhkbJncSQnguUzozEkBCgWmx=w1026-h769-no

It’s also a lot cheaper when you only have to feed two people instead of six. And the pizza was very good!

3e3kO4gRWrwKfTjZwiwD018FU7cdWApP9F3BT3TZS2dg4GGwywPmAW3cbm1ofkKeZqjTmfZZFvm-7I9Q_5_K0VXF8owF1pO1k8YOD3Y0d1uZlFqQM-Gk6PN7aFOjFg5nBHgYtQn0IEJqXBy2q07mAVLh52tIA1T2IAKbMH_jiLOoymhs-4EXfUkOnOBoZ74ya9BffjNXjBEXN0EEmvQS4e-TUAo_egT1L7rWLKkjANBBP9CmA4yM0bSwEijfkspb7hFjHSBqOH4HTA7IjbeN2-Iag-Q77zkx9HqCVdSGm4mislh06j35Jx_a4_YT_X96-lALCWUPJqHEdib22HkoT1tqMVt_vwYmf01UVKWdRGzjq5SqPZoahF2KwEK_SuTzsGFsAwIYcfOAfkncl0JAAoGHC5snwN_u1JK0zBkOLZzOaY9d52jufrRzmnESR4xh6MyAgq0CvYOqGUSIrBbZ2rpedgDfM75IdcGOZxtTBZiHkDlpRES5VGJC1aPhfxI3ALtXwYR6Szx9XFFRP8LmW5PLZ-_hQahavUTJMalRCAU__FPRRK2HPEDxK9j2_EGCN6XCpJ6ImH7IN-Lza2hQAwW8zXv--P3iNM6SUOoG=w1154-h769-no

The wildfire smoke had extended to the north all the way up past Cedar City. At some points, it obscured the sun and made it feel like twilight, which was an eerie feeling. It made for an interesting sky:

JxH8KPLycEKmZwKTLBTJytBnPReMRIi0iwAjvDK3F8VOBdO5wA-muhSGoqy-Y0ciaUux_3yJjLlMj7b7nfs5IDiE0fUKJE4qwZ7q5TY8ZqW7uS19VvuOFy_HZgbTBzyMqcUZ1zeVjXtsTPjrhvON68a1FXOkKe5Mnoonx3BzLVwdlBTIcQMyxFBQi8lbcOZ965j-VA0TzfkKzdCp5WhpHw5xtCIX6bPmuDiaE0in7bpXswKMaXngAMMz88N-LaDaqSELWslMaEjhnboYgDC7Iqbi77Wf4lwZ8yGZ8L7PcHTCwsI1uJPc7NqFJC2mKXvp6RTsnQ3C3SvIDzmk7R7HKZqRstRuZNKYRJCqpiv-K0ATy6Z3u0uv9wb_uDx4KSmvXBTTeJcBNyNjwx40Lmbi2szSl_QGli_qrqWxTjv-TScsscu0sopjsmwWKFZBD4TpOvK9jgzHL65fGPaz5nrrFc8dLpLUJk3v-WhLZ2p8N6jPgXY4qTRkdD9USBjvpLYJ9P6ZXwd34NnSMo9V1b9FOyNIo7gozR5Kv29AD302HIQEWnLT39VHCBLUXhqQNMyglW-UyyNVhPSX4xFO2hils8pnVo3hpimjdHbbTnH7=w1154-h769-no

Thankfully, the winds kept it blowing to the north, so when we turned east, we had clear skies. We just hoped that would continue the rest of the week.

We drove another three hours to the small town of Torrey, Utah. As you might expect, there aren’t many hotel chains to choose from in Torrey, Utah. We ended up staying in a little mom-and-pop motel called the Broken Spur Inn. There were two options for rooms here: you could stay in a regular hotel room, which was the cheapest option and therefore the one I chose, or you could stay in one of these babies:

3xab85CNn1nlcvfezFLsBDmbaikH4ezKVrYvIj8LNV7OqJ7hEIGLkFR4JjSnOgrFXl5qbPsqeQ03OP-VJcSLvVzD5R8cu3ioSXaFl1KEsh5XumwvA_5k4B9KXW8ylsiuSf3UMKwbgNFy1yVtkUTpsyMct4h-Y4kRBAuHUmEdEpRADkKOgI8f5SIDY5B8NAdi4H6VPaiyb-FaqqY9i3jRjBxUixbfImU8vXiUki1TLrYBciZtIbWLDs-BtGiMmQj56uyAHXB7D3FLDUEl-RbsyRIoI7f2IwLdIgzWvoAmJP9NXRnIeylUxo4HQFSOAaUIf5UAi_yAj2CGRJ2GdtQQMmo0UKRhvA5rsIJ9qfAMsUL-M1euneddzNtLg4YZ6evJKQVQfCc5XofUkMiF1fzgCEK6wU1JVwogHsV2yaOsKRsbGxwn28gLLaEJAbgAEjcv_-J3eItJrxiIV5W8cEh0xnnA-OnkGD7c_vTKX37N4JGcC-x143fvzlhroh8cYThxFDnR3GYW8TR8q72b5i7GWYXz2Ra8cA0XJm2Bzb_x7dmYDevXuHvXgy-CjpWD3SURZC9IHZMBPWMglmU_fP7cPXoSX_Ogsk-cXUP_UfXl=w1026-h769-no

I have to admit, Julie and I were both tempted. It was referred to on the website as “glamping”. Look closely and you can see that the wagons were even air-conditioned. But we didn’t really need that—temps dropped into the 50’s in the evenings. And the wagons were arranged in a tight circle without much space in between. With only canvas walls, I’d be a little concerned about privacy. In any case, we took the cheaper, more boring option and stayed in a regular room. Sorry to disappoint, but hey, that’s what I do.

With that, we were all set up to take care of our first piece of unfinished business in the morning.

Coming Up Next: The only major National Park in Utah we hadn’t visited. Yet.

I don't think the kids were celebrating.

Awe and wonder are wasted on today's youth.

That sounds...wonderful.

yeah. absolutely. sure.

Ok, so what's the Banjo Bowl?

Up here, the CFL (Canadian Football League) schedule has scheduled my team against Saskatchewan on the Sunday before Labour Day since 1949 (they missed a few years here and there, but you get the drift). Perhaps not as long, there's a rematch (in Winnipeg) the following week.
So you can see there's a bit of a rivalry.

In 2003, our place kicker made the following comment: [The people of Saskatchewan were] "a bunch of banjo-pickin' inbreds."
This did not sit well and caused an uproar with our Provincial neighbors.

So he apologized.
By saying: "the vast majority of the people in Saskatchewan have no idea how to play the banjo."

Since he was from Saskatchewan, it was then recognized for a bit of friendly one-up-manship… the next year the Banjo Bowl was born.

“Holy crap. I’m exhausted.” That time is 9:37 p.m., daily.

Rookies.

Julie and I have been parents for over 16 years now, and so we know the value of getting a break.

::yes::

That's called "anytime and everytime you get a chance".

And those chances are few and far between.

This summer, we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary

Pretty sure I've said it already, but Congratulations!

We dreamed big—at least until budgetary concerns got in the way.

Stupid money.

Julie decided she didn’t want to do two Disney parks back-to-back, given how we typically exhaust ourselves on Disney property. She wanted some variety, and I don’t think she was wrong.

I get that.

we had to make some sacrifices so we didn’t spend too long in the car with a newborn.

Yeah, can see how that would put a bit of a crimp in the plans.

Ha! Run! Runnnn!!!!!!

Philadelphia airport is closer and an easier drive for us, but for some reason flights out of Baltimore are always cheaper.

Really. Huh. I wonder why?

I made the reservation early on and then kept checking prices, and it seemed like every time I checked, the price had dropped. So I kept cancelling and re-booking again and again.

Score!

As always, the goal when flying into Vegas was to get out of Vegas as quickly as possible.

Hmmm... interesting tactic.

Vegas just isn’t my thing. I’m not a drinker, I’m not a gambler, and I’m not a womanizer. I’m sure many of the shows and entertainment are excellent, but I feel like if I want to see world-class man-made entertainment, I can stick with Disney or Broadway and not have to put up with the less-savory aspects of Vegas.

Ah! There's more, though. I like the architecture. I like the restaurants. I like exploring the sights and sounds.
I too am not a drinker. I seldom gamble (I think our last trip there I gambled for a total of less than an hour) and I'm not there to pick up women either. But Ka and O (both Cirque du Soleil shows) put any show Disney has to offer to shame.

Having said that...

Ruby and I have discussed flying again to Vegas... but only as a jumping off point to see the Grand Canyon.

We got in our rental, sped onto the freeway, and promptly got stuck in construction traffic. Stupid highway engineers.

:laughing:

Of course we regretted eating McDonald’s later, but as Jim Gaffigan says, those 7 minutes after getting a box of McDonald’s French fries straight out of the fryer are pretty heavenly.

::yes:: To both statements.

Yes, it’s a “dry” heat. So is an oven.

Hot is hot.

Nice shot, though.

2IVK4rG4oSZ2fXl6R4KyjzPo8EEljI9mfnxLdc3Yc27ej696Zb8qAc1tzOv0KCJaYUgo-Hp0Mf_L-2W0rWr3gMbDGCpz87uSn7kellv_rpYbinkdU0SuW4gN4c7zoIyP8zAs37qIVXIM4dWeDmFr_7yF6xXTyilAV6_BHOCyjGSfEr5-eWtIz7Fnw-1wap2jOieuo5tEA1UUaWsk6DWseaFSEq2HLzhu_blhq-hYiQJDQOqjNX20Aju7qJaEnUsT8Rab_-Fje1IP2ZHbw2gXBXnLXqVC24kJ8KLhmvqNMZvz4fQ2GEG1HI8ER_K2zU78-mZUnMT1KeWrpuLGDVg5YtsoZ2YMQ3tg8zcxlJlnb-00wyuc5v6ulGtD3ha7PFbE3Qbta4lNNwg_qMMMnGyimIwWPH6yFsBdz60fUA3coApGkU2JwhzKjZv8pKfLBqpNVZt_3ysPknH3S8EQspXc2eLkazjvDEx9AVoemM-p3KH5qBTTzb2yIBLSKwPLe-xVzkpwqI09avxBPky0rxWcmiEbLjFl2_5xwaLWGSdWIpUGW1FRcrPRQDus99cxB0roUHTyK4se8mlPcYiE-Ck8P3zH23ppqridbYYdTOE8=w1154-h769-no

You did get the rental with 4 wheel drive, right?
Did you find out why it was closed? Fire?

(note: NO peanut butter or jelly!)

What?!?!!??! :eek:

It’s always reassuring to know that no matter where you are in the country, no one at a Walmart is willing to walk 20 extra feet to a cart return bay when they can just leave the shopping cart occupying the parking space you’d like to turn into.

I obviously don't live in your country. Stray carts are fairly rare in the parking lot.

It was a neat little place, and it’s hard to beat a wood-fired oven for quality pizza.

Sounds good!

Did you happen to ask about the significance of the bike?

It’s also a lot cheaper when you only have to feed two people instead of six.

Huh. Who'd a thunk it?

And the pizza was very good!

Looks good, too.

There were two options for rooms here: you could stay in a regular hotel room, which was the cheapest option and therefore the one I chose, or you could stay in one of these babies:

3xab85CNn1nlcvfezFLsBDmbaikH4ezKVrYvIj8LNV7OqJ7hEIGLkFR4JjSnOgrFXl5qbPsqeQ03OP-VJcSLvVzD5R8cu3ioSXaFl1KEsh5XumwvA_5k4B9KXW8ylsiuSf3UMKwbgNFy1yVtkUTpsyMct4h-Y4kRBAuHUmEdEpRADkKOgI8f5SIDY5B8NAdi4H6VPaiyb-FaqqY9i3jRjBxUixbfImU8vXiUki1TLrYBciZtIbWLDs-BtGiMmQj56uyAHXB7D3FLDUEl-RbsyRIoI7f2IwLdIgzWvoAmJP9NXRnIeylUxo4HQFSOAaUIf5UAi_yAj2CGRJ2GdtQQMmo0UKRhvA5rsIJ9qfAMsUL-M1euneddzNtLg4YZ6evJKQVQfCc5XofUkMiF1fzgCEK6wU1JVwogHsV2yaOsKRsbGxwn28gLLaEJAbgAEjcv_-J3eItJrxiIV5W8cEh0xnnA-OnkGD7c_vTKX37N4JGcC-x143fvzlhroh8cYThxFDnR3GYW8TR8q72b5i7GWYXz2Ra8cA0XJm2Bzb_x7dmYDevXuHvXgy-CjpWD3SURZC9IHZMBPWMglmU_fP7cPXoSX_Ogsk-cXUP_UfXl=w1026-h769-no

With only canvas walls, I’d be a little concerned about privacy.

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for adding the bonus chapters. I've had three co-workers that have recently been to Zion and Bryce Canyon and have now convinced me that I need to go! We have a 7th and 10th grader so we've got to get those trips under our belt before they are out of the house :-)

Up here, the CFL (Canadian Football League) schedule has scheduled my team against Saskatchewan on the Sunday before Labour Day since 1949 (they missed a few years here and there, but you get the drift). Perhaps not as long, there's a rematch (in Winnipeg) the following week.
So you can see there's a bit of a rivalry.

In 2003, our place kicker made the following comment: [The people of Saskatchewan were] "a bunch of banjo-pickin' inbreds."
This did not sit well and caused an uproar with our Provincial neighbors.

So he apologized.
By saying: "the vast majority of the people in Saskatchewan have no idea how to play the banjo."

Since he was from Saskatchewan, it was then recognized for a bit of friendly one-up-manship… the next year the Banjo Bowl was born.

Wow, talk about gasoline on the fire! :rotfl2: Pretty funny quotes, though. I imagine the crowd gets lively for that game every year.

At last check...yep, still exhausted.

That's called "anytime and everytime you get a chance".

And those chances are few and far between.

Amen. I wish we could do it more often, but we take whatever we can get.

Pretty sure I've said it already, but Congratulations!

Thank you, sir!

Stupid money.

Yeah, can see how that would put a bit of a crimp in the plans.

These kids have been cramping our style for years now.

Ha! Run! Runnnn!!!!!!

And we're not coming back!

For 5 days.

Really. Huh. I wonder why?

I think BWI is a regional hub for Southwest. There always seem to be more flights available there.

Hmmm... interesting tactic.

As explained...I just don't see much appeal.

Ah! There's more, though. I like the architecture. I like the restaurants. I like exploring the sights and sounds.
I too am not a drinker. I seldom gamble (I think our last trip there I gambled for a total of less than an hour) and I'm not there to pick up women either. But Ka and O (both Cirque du Soleil shows) put any show Disney has to offer to shame.

And that's cool. I have not seen the shows and have no doubt that they're spectacular. I think when it comes down to it, the "party" atmosphere is very much in the foreground. And that's what turns me off. I think that's a big part of why I wasn't more into New Orleans as well.

Having said that...

Ruby and I have discussed flying again to Vegas... but only as a jumping off point to see the Grand Canyon.

It is a wonderful jumping off point! And flights there seem to be cheaper than other southwest cities.

::yes:: To both statements.

:thumbsup2

Hot is hot.

Yep. I do think humidity makes a bit of difference, but only a bit. 90 degrees with no humidity feels bearable to me. 90 degrees with 80% humidity is brutal. 100 degrees is hot no matter what.

Nice shot, though.

Thanks!

What?!?!!??! :eek:

When the kids are away, the parents will not eat the same garbage.

I obviously don't live in your country. Stray carts are fairly rare in the parking lot.

One of my pet peeves. I guess I'll have to move to Canada.

Did you happen to ask about the significance of the bike?

I did not. Probably should have.

Huh. Who'd a thunk it?

It's insights like these that keep you coming back!

Story of my life.

party:

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for adding the bonus chapters. I've had three co-workers that have recently been to Zion and Bryce Canyon and have now convinced me that I need to go! We have a 7th and 10th grader so we've got to get those trips under our belt before they are out of the house :-)

All of Utah's parks are spectacular! If you have the means, then definitely make it happen.:thumbsup2

Wow, talk about gasoline on the fire! :rotfl2: Pretty funny quotes, though. I imagine the crowd gets lively for that game every year.

Pretty much the game of the season.

At last check...yep, still exhausted.

Don't worry, you'll rest when Drew is moved out of the house.

These kids have been cramping our style for years now.

See previous comment.

And we're not coming back!

For 5 days.

Tack a zero on the end of that and you'll have a fighting chance.

I think BWI is a regional hub for Southwest. There always seem to be more flights available there.

Ah! Okay, that makes sense.

And that's cool. I have not seen the shows and have no doubt that they're spectacular. I think when it comes down to it, the "party" atmosphere is very much in the foreground. And that's what turns me off. I think that's a big part of why I wasn't more into New Orleans as well.

We are hoping to go to NO next year. We will not go anywhere near it during Mardi Gras. No thanks!

Yep. I do think humidity makes a bit of difference, but only a bit. 90 degrees with no humidity feels bearable to me. 90 degrees with 80% humidity is brutal. 100 degrees is hot no matter what.

Good point.

When the kids are away, the parents will not eat the same garbage.

:laughing: So that's how that saying goes.

One of my pet peeves. I guess I'll have to move to Canada.

We don't let in just anybody, you know.

All of Utah's parks are spectacular! If you have the means, then definitely make it happen.:thumbsup2

Okay! :)

As always, the goal when flying into Vegas was to get out of Vegas as quickly as possible. Now, I know some of you greatly enjoy Vegas and I’m not here to rain on your parade. Vegas just isn’t my thing. I’m not a drinker, I’m not a gambler, and I’m not a womanizer. I’m sure many of the shows and entertainment are excellent, but I feel like if I want to see world-class man-made entertainment, I can stick with Disney or Broadway and not have to put up with the less-savory aspects of Vegas.
That pretty much sums up my feeling on Vegas too. I've always been curious about the attraction to Las Vegas, but I don't know that I will ever go there. If I did, I expect I would get out of dodge for at least part of the trip and see the natural sights. I would love to see the Grand Canyon, for one.

There were two options for rooms here: you could stay in a regular hotel room, which was the cheapest option and therefore the one I chose, or you could stay in one of these babies:

For some reason, this has the essence of a National Lampoon's Vacation written all over it...
I probably would have made the same choice as you, but sure tempting to choose the wagon, just to say you did it.

There comes a time in every parent’s life when he or she looks in the mirror and exclaims, “Holy crap. I’m exhausted.” That time is 9:37 p.m., daily.
Actually…
that began about mid-May of 95 and has yet to be ameliorated.

so we know the value of getting a break.
Good for y’all.
We never had the resources for that luxury.
It was many long years before I could date my wife again.

We dreamed big—at least until budgetary concerns got in the way.
Funding deficits have been the demise of many a dream…

We considered a Disney Cruise—they had just introduced new cruises out of New York to Bermuda. That sounded great! But the cost became a concern.
DCL be pricey…
Have done a few, but mostly with incentives to make it more manageable.
Unfortunately they’re popular enough now that incentives are scarce, so I don’t know that we’ll be doing another anytime in the near.

We looked hard at a tropical getaway to the island of St. John. Hurricane Irma ended up removing that idea from the board.
Sad…
That was far and away, my favorite stopover from our cruising time.
(would have been part of my last TR, but that’s history as well)

We’ve heard great things about San Diego
That’s on the radar too
(but all destinations requiring air fare are problematic)

My parents graciously agreed to take care of the kids for the week.
If only…
Well, it doesn’t matter anymore, but back then… If only…

Which our folks weren’t…
Thus the problem.

for some reason flights out of Baltimore are always cheaper.
That caught my interest, so I researched BWI compared to CLT just for giggles.
Every destination (I mean every single one) is 150 to 200 less (and often better) per person.
Apparently I live in the wrong place.

Also, the Philly airport is a dump
So…
I need to drive to Philly then.

I’d used our Costco membership to rent a car, and once again, it saved us a lot of money.
Will have to seriously research this fact.

So I kept cancelling and re-booking again and again. Thank goodness they don’t charge for that.
Also good to know

As always, the goal when flying into Vegas was to get out of Vegas as quickly as possible.
What arrives in Vegas, leaves Vegas…
Rapidly…

Not sure their Chamber of Commerce would like your update of their tourism pitch.

We got in our rental, sped onto the freeway, and promptly got stuck in construction traffic.
Stupid highway engineers.
An indiscriminant mob, aren’t they?

because a 5-hour flight is a long haul when you’re only given peanuts to snack on.
Combined with the horrifically bad seats, and it kind’a raises the cred of a Greyhound.
(save for that whole time-of-transit issue, that is)

Of course we regretted eating McDonald’s later
Well, it does have a couple’a things going for it…
It’s consistent and…
It ain’t Taco Bell or Hardees

as Jim Gaffigan says, those 7 minutes after getting a box of McDonald’s French fries straight out of the fryer are pretty heavenly.
Mmmmmmm…
Beef tallow

Temperatures were in the 100’s so we were grateful that the air-conditioner in the car was working.
I say that pretty much daily.

A/C has done as much to change our nation as any of the gold rushes.

Yes, it’s a “dry” heat. So is an oven.
Oven…
Sauna…

We all make’s our choices.

Fires can also kill people and wildlife and destroy homes, so I’m sure we were worried about that, too. Anyway, it was something to keep an eye on.
They have been changing many a travel (and living) plan more often as of late…

Don’t you love it when a plan doesn’t come together…

Yeah, me neither.
This mucks me up nearly every time I toss in something extra as a possible side venture, but have only slightly researched said option.

We stopped in Cedar City to get some bottled water and snacks
Define “snacks”
(Curious to see how it varies from – say – Barry’s definition… or mine)

(note: NO peanut butter or jelly!)
Kind’a figured that…
thus the previous question.

We eat entirely differently when our young’en isn’t with us.
(and he’s already done growed!)

at a Walmart.
Only if there really isn’t a viable option.
(I work for one of their vendors… we have a few grudges to carry)

It’s always reassuring to know that no matter where you are in the country, no one at a Walmart is willing to walk 20 extra feet to a cart return bay when they can just leave the shopping cart occupying the parking space you’d like to turn into.
Pretty certain that this phenomenon isn’t restricted to Wally-World…

At one time, this business was just what its name implies: it was a food cart, stationed in a hardware store parking lot.
Like the back story…
Hardware stores are not generally known as dining destinations.

They had an actual honest-to-goodness wood-fired oven on the cart
Inventive…

It’s also a lot cheaper when you only have to feed two people instead of six.
As illustrated by the dearth of PB&J

As you might expect, there aren’t many hotel chains to choose from in Torrey, Utah
And including theSuper-8 wouldn’t have increased that count none.

I’m also partial to ignoring Motel-6.
Must be some kind of code of sorrow and suffering related to adding a number into a hotel’s name.

We ended up staying in a little mom-and-pop motel called the Broken Spur Inn.
Conjures up a very definite image …

or you could stay in one of these babies:

Points for clever…
Would make a rather poor honeymoon suite, but certainly clever.

With only canvas walls, I’d be a little concerned about privacy.
And having “your own private outhouse” doesn’t negate that it’s still an outhouse.

Pretty much the game of the season.

That's like when the Philadelphia Eagles play the Dallas Cowboys here. Man, we hate those guys!

Don't worry, you'll rest when Drew is moved out of the house.

So...only 14 years! Woot!

Tack a zero on the end of that and you'll have a fighting chance.

That's where the budget constraints come into play.

We are hoping to go to NO next year. We will not go anywhere near it during Mardi Gras. No thanks!

I can't imagine what it's like during Mardi Gras. You couldn't pay me enough!

Well, you probably could. But that doesn't mean I'd enjoy it.

:laughing: So that's how that saying goes.

My version.

We don't let in just anybody, you know.

Crud. Maybe Greenland will be a little more lax.

That pretty much sums up my feeling on Vegas too. I've always been curious about the attraction to Las Vegas, but I don't know that I will ever go there. If I did, I expect I would get out of dodge for at least part of the trip and see the natural sights. I would love to see the Grand Canyon, for one.

There's certainly plenty of entertainment. But beyond some of the shows, not much of it really appeals to me. I could probably spend time checking out the various hotels and the architecture involved. But so much is based on partying and gambling and that just doesn't interest me at all. It's been a good spot for getting cheap flights and then jumping off to see the sights in the southwest, though.

For some reason, this has the essence of a National Lampoon's Vacation written all over it...
I probably would have made the same choice as you, but sure tempting to choose the wagon, just to say you did it.

That was basically the appeal of it. It was tempting just to say, "Hey, we spent the night in a conestoga wagon!" The lack of indoor plumbing was a consideration, too.

It seems I just returned to the Disboards after quite a long hiatus to read about your visit to my most favourite National Park in Utah!

Welcome back, Katharina! I hope I will do it justice.

That's like when the Philadelphia Eagles play the Dallas Cowboys here. Man, we hate those guys!

Well... we don't hate them. We're Canadian, you know. But we do have fun... unless we lose.

So...only 14 years! Woot!

Dream on. Kids are staying home into their 30s now.

I can't imagine what it's like during Mardi Gras. You couldn't pay me enough!

Well, you probably could. But that doesn't mean I'd enjoy it.

Agreed.
I just went with DW down to Minneapolis for a couple days. The original plan was to do Deadwood and Devils Tower and Mt. Rushmore... etc.
Guess what else was going on in the area that same weekend? Sturgis.
If you haven't heard of it, it's a small town near that area. Bikers gather there. You'd think I'd be all over that, right?
Yeah... we're talking 500,000 bikers. (No. Not a typo. Five hundred thousand)

Nope!

Crud. Maybe Greenland will be a little more lax.

They'll let anybody in.

This summer, we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary, so naturally that was a wonderful excuse to do something by ourselves. Given our love of travel, it seemed natural to try and plan a spectacular 20th anniversary getaway. We dreamed big—at least until budgetary concerns got in the way.

Yeah, for a while we didn't think we needed to worry about those dang budgetary concerns, but with the million dollar kittens and a few other things, they are now real in our household as well. :headache:

We strongly considered a trip to Southern California. We’ve heard great things about San Diego but have never visited, so it would be new to us. And it was awfully tempting to catch up with Alison and Fran at Disneyland again (and, of course, finally ride the Indiana Jones ride).

Well the invite is still there, and I think actually you need to invite the whole (Oblivious) family, not extended, as it will be epic!

I mean, uh, thanks Mom and Dad!

:rotfl2:

See that's not the case for us....

Now, I know some of you greatly enjoy Vegas and I’m not here to rain on your parade. Vegas just isn’t my thing.

And we have agreed to disagree on many things, but we're still friends.

I’m not a drinker,

Yes I am.

I’m not a gambler,

Yes I am, but not to a fault. I set aside what we're OK with losing and that is our gambling budget.

and I’m not a womanizer.

OK, you got me there, I'm not a womanizer either. Been with the same woman over 20 years now. Don't need another!

We’d planned for our first stop to be at the Kolob Canyons section of Zion National Park.

We really enjoyed this stop!

Welp. So much for that idea. Moving on.

:sad2:

We also stopped for dinner at a place called The Pizza Cart.

Actually sounds pretty good, and the pizza looked very tasty!

It’s also a lot cheaper when you only have to feed two people instead of six. And the pizza was very good!

Yeah, I can see this....

The wildfire smoke had extended to the north all the way up past Cedar City. At some points, it obscured the sun and made it feel like twilight, which was an eerie feeling. It made for an interesting sky:

I remember when the fires in Anaheim were blowing smoke in our direction, it was eerie and gross. One of the reasons I'm happy to live in the metropolis as opposed to the country.

Look closely and you can see that the wagons were even air-conditioned.

Yeah i see the air conditioning but where is the indoor plumbing? :confused3 Major consideration when booking a room!

Actually…
that began about mid-May of 95 and has yet to be ameliorated.

So...tired...

Good for y’all.
We never had the resources for that luxury.
It was many long years before I could date my wife again.

Most years we can only do an occasional dinner/movie night or maybe a long weekend down at the beach. But for 20 years, we felt like we needed something better.

Funding deficits have been the demise of many a dream…

DCL be pricey…
Have done a few, but mostly with incentives to make it more manageable.
Unfortunately they’re popular enough now that incentives are scarce, so I don’t know that we’ll be doing another anytime in the near.

Probably won't be happening for us, either. But it is fun to dream. I would like to see Bermuda someday.

Sad…
That was far and away, my favorite stopover from our cruising time.
(would have been part of my last TR, but that’s history as well)

I have had friends rave to me about how much they loved St. John. It's always been high on the list of places to visit. Seeing photos of the hurricane damage was incredibly sad.

That’s on the radar too
(but all destinations requiring air fare are problematic)

Someday...

If only…
Well, it doesn’t matter anymore, but back then… If only…

Which our folks weren’t…
Thus the problem.

Well, that just sucks. It's been a lifeline for us.

That caught my interest, so I researched BWI compared to CLT just for giggles.
Every destination (I mean every single one) is 150 to 200 less (and often better) per person.
Apparently I live in the wrong place.

Holy cow. How does that even happen? It's not like BWI is a huge destination.

Will have to seriously research this fact.

I've had a lot of luck with it.

What arrives in Vegas, leaves Vegas…
Rapidly…

Not sure their Chamber of Commerce would like your update of their tourism pitch.

Not a fan of truth in advertising, then.

An indiscriminant mob, aren’t they?

Here's a full and complete list of convenient times to do road construction projects:

Combined with the horrifically bad seats, and it kind’a raises the cred of a Greyhound.
(save for that whole time-of-transit issue, that is)

The price is right, though.

Well, it does have a couple’a things going for it…
It’s consistent and…
It ain’t Taco Bell or Hardees

See? Things are never so bad that they couldn't get worse.

Mmmmmmm…
Beef tallow

Whatever works!

I say that pretty much daily.

A/C has done as much to change our nation as any of the gold rushes.

A/C is a wonderful, wonderful invention.

Oven…
Sauna…

We all make’s our choices.

Not many places you can go to truly avoid heat in the summer.

Don’t you love it when a plan doesn’t come together…

Yeah, me neither.
This mucks me up nearly every time I toss in something extra as a possible side venture, but have only slightly researched said option.

My fault for not looking it up. I had assumed I'd already visited and knew everything I needed to know. And you know what happens when you assume.

Define “snacks”
(Curious to see how it varies from – say – Barry’s definition… or mine)

You know, I don't even remember. I think we mostly got water and Gatorade and then some donuts and stuff to scarf down for breakfast.

Kind’a figured that…
thus the previous question.

We eat entirely differently when our young’en isn’t with us.
(and he’s already done growed!)

We've reached that point in life where the kids eat more than we do at every meal. It's scary.

Only if there really isn’t a viable option.
(I work for one of their vendors… we have a few grudges to carry)

We go because a) we know there will probably be a Walmart, and b) we can get supplies cheaply.

Pretty certain that this phenomenon isn’t restricted to Wally-World…

It seems to happen very frequently there.

Like the back story…
Hardware stores are not generally known as dining destinations.

Wherever you can find a hungry person, I guess.

And including theSuper-8 wouldn’t have increased that count none.

I’m also partial to ignoring Motel-6.
Must be some kind of code of sorrow and suffering related to adding a number into a hotel’s name.

I haven't stayed at a Motel 6 since I was a kid. Haven't really tried, either. I wonder if the light is still on.

Points for clever…
Would make a rather poor honeymoon suite, but certainly clever.

If anything, it would just be for the fun of saying you did it.

And having “your own private outhouse” doesn’t negate that it’s still an outhouse.

Indoor plumbing ranks up there with A/C on inventions.

Well... we don't hate them. We're Canadian, you know. But we do have fun... unless we lose.

Right. Then you hate them. Ok, strongly disapprove of them.

Dream on. Kids are staying home into their 30s now.

Not in my house!

(Please, Lord, not in my house)

Agreed.
I just went with DW down to Minneapolis for a couple days. The original plan was to do Deadwood and Devils Tower and Mt. Rushmore... etc.
Guess what else was going on in the area that same weekend? Sturgis.
If you haven't heard of it, it's a small town near that area. Bikers gather there. You'd think I'd be all over that, right?
Yeah... we're talking 500,000 bikers. (No. Not a typo. Five hundred thousand)

Nope!

Yeah, I've read/seen stories about the Sturgis rally before. Made sure it was nowhere near the dates for our midwest trip a couple years ago. I wouldn't want any part of that, either!

They'll let anybody in.

Woohoo! Finally, a place with qualifications I can meet!

1. Do you have a pulse?

Ok, great, you're in!

Yeah, for a while we didn't think we needed to worry about those dang budgetary concerns, but with the million dollar kittens and a few other things, they are now real in our household as well. :headache:

Real-world budgetary concerns suck. Stupid fiscal responsibility.

Well the invite is still there, and I think actually you need to invite the whole (Oblivious) family, not extended, as it will be epic!

:eek: Epic, huh? That last day we spent there was pretty epic. Ready to both open and close the park again?? :rotfl:

But seriously, thank you for being so open and generous to us.

See that's not the case for us....

:rolleyes1

And we have agreed to disagree on many things, but we're still friends.

Yeah, this is totally not how online disagreements are supposed to go. Start calling me childish names or something.

Yes I am.

Really? Huh. :rotfl2:

Yes I am, but not to a fault. I set aside what we're OK with losing and that is our gambling budget.

Stupid fiscal responsibility.

But seriously, that's the only way to sanely do it. The house always wins!

OK, you got me there, I'm not a womanizer either. Been with the same woman over 20 years now. Don't need another!

:rotfl2::rotfl: I honestly don't know how anyone handles more than one!

We really enjoyed this stop!

Us too! I was bummed when we found it closed. It's a beautiful place.

Actually sounds pretty good, and the pizza looked very tasty!

Pretty darn good!

I remember when the fires in Anaheim were blowing smoke in our direction, it was eerie and gross. One of the reasons I'm happy to live in the metropolis as opposed to the country.

A friend of mine just had to cancel plans to see Yosemite this summer after having made reservations and held them for a year in advance. Seem like half of California is on fire right now. It's sad!

Yeah i see the air conditioning but where is the indoor plumbing? :confused3 Major consideration when booking a room!

Absolutely! That also factored into the ultimate decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter