The vacation of a lifetime!

I hope planning going well! I made our dining reservations and BBB makeover reservations for our April trip. Have you decided to splurge on some character dining meals? If my DDs were older, I would love to try Blue Bayou. As it is, we're sticking to Minnie's Breakfast at the Plaza Inn and brunch at Goofy's the morning we leave.

Hope all is well.

Sorry it took so long to respond, been REALLY busy.

I hope this is the last time I have to plan our days for this trip. This is the 3rd time I've had to change them. At least now the entertainment schedule is up, we have our hotel booked, etc.

Ok, the final plan is leaving early on Thursday April 11 and getting to Anaheim in the afternoon on Friday April 12. We will be getting a hotel for the night on the way.
We're staying at the Embassy Suites in Anaheim. It was the only thing available at that time for 6 people. At least we don't have to worry about breakfast every morning as they serve a full hot breakfast.

We did decide on annual passes, so we won't be going into the parks on Saturdays. Our first full day in Anaheim we get to recuperate from the drive.

We decided to leave the morning of the 23rd. 8 full days in the park is still good. :goodvibes

I sure hope you do a trip report :) I stayed at the Embassy Suites in San Diego and just loved it! Great hotel chain..esp like the free drinks in the evening..

I bought our PhotoPass+ today along with our World of Color Picnics and made all reservations for food, BBB, and Fantasmic! Premium Viewing.
In all, had to make 15 reservations. We decided to do two character breakfasts, PCH Grill and Storytellers Cafe, and do them both on our Saturdays out of the park. That way we still get some magic on Saturdays and don't have to waste park time on a long meal. I can see us spending a good 2 hours at a character meal. The kids eat slow anyway and they'll be distracted too.
We will be doing one breakfast in the park. We're going to grab some food at Flo's and eat while we wait in line for RSR. That should help make that hour go smoother.
We're going to do Goofy's Kitchen for the birthday celebration dinner on Saturday night, same reason as above.
Have to do Ariel's Grotto after they have their BBB appointments, so made that reservation for the night we were going to leave early anyway.
I'll definitely do a trip report and include pics when I get home. :goodvibes

How exciting! I just caught up on this post yesterday & love all the fun stuff you're doing. Hope you have a blast & looking forward to plenty of pics :-)

I had fun planning everything down to the minute, but know things don't always work the way you expect. I'm going to get a little thrill out of comparing what I planned to what happens. :lmao:

My son and his wife didn't go on a honeymoon after they were married. Life and responsibilities got in the way. They decided to take this opportunity to take that honeymoon after a decade of marriage. :)
I know they're going to spend some time in the southwest US, but they are going to end that honeymoon at DLR.
We're meeting them for dinner at Rainforest Cafe (another reservation) our first Saturday there. Sunday morning we're meeting in front of the park to take pictures and go in together. Who would want to miss their child's reaction to that magical place? We're planning on taking the train around the park and then riding a few choice rides the DIL wants to ride with her children. Then we say goodbye around 11am and have our vacation. A nice little extra. :)
Good thing the grandchildren are 7 and 9 or I would be worried about tears. As it is, they can't see past their own excitement right now. ::yes::
We had to cancel the tour we were going to take because that interfered with the plan. Park opens at 8, tour at 10...doesn't work. I just went ahead and bought them all some Disney lanyards because they won't be getting them from the tour. They love them! :thumbsup2

Our second Saturday we will be getting away from the resort. Living in Iowa, all four children are dying to see the ocean. We'll spend the afternoon there and already got some buckets, shovels, etc. :beach:

Looks like you have quite the trip planned:) All our best and I hope your trip is better than ever imagined pixiedust: Hootey :cool1:

I received all the reservation responses this afternoon. We got most of our times or at least close and that's definitely happy-making. :)
We had a problem with BBB. We had to get appointments an hour later than my request, but that's no problem because that just means they'll get a few rides in before their appointment. :)

The character meals are a BLAST:dance3: BBB is great, the wife loves to eat there:lovestrucpopcorn:: Enjoy the meals, ride the rides, and enjoy being there! pixiedust: Take lots of pictures and use the photopass:) Remember to take the time to enjoy yourself!

Thank you! I'm actually starting to get excited for the first time. It finally seems real. :hyper:

I wanted to update those that were concerned with the boys and ride height requirements.
They had to go see the doctor Monday for their 5 year old shots and at the time they were weighed and measured. They are 46" tall and so only have to miss California Screamin' and they weren't looking forward to that one anyway. Something about being upside down bugs them. :confused3
Their dad will stay with them while I go on with the grandchildren. DH is not a rider and is doing this for us. He's happy he gets out of this one. :)
I wasn't going to try it either, but I hear it's a smooth ride and shouldn't bother my condition. :goodvibes

I was going to recommend the photo pass+ glad you got that. You will love it for all your character meals. I also bought lanyards. I bought the ones that had little coin purses attached and they could put their pressed pennies in there. It also had a clear part for the drivers license from autopia. You get is exiting down the ramp. It's a fun souvenir all your kids would like.
You can buy the mini m and m holders and put 2 qtr/penny stacked so they are all set for the penny presses ALL over. My kids loves those as well.
Wishing you a safe trip. Sounds amazing.

We did decide on annual passes, so we won't be going into the parks on Saturdays. Our first full day in Anaheim we get to recuperate from the drive.

We decided to leave the morning of the 23rd. 8 full days in the park is still good. :goodvibes

Did you already buy the APs? If you get 3 day park hoppers you could use early entry on Friday or Saturday, then upgrade on Saturday after early entry to start getting the discounts. You can use an AP on the day you purchase or upgrade, even if it's a blockout day. If you're staying at an official hotel, disregard the early entry suggestion. There is also passholder early entry right now, and Sunday the 14th at Disneyland is the last day, so you can still take advantage of that with APs.

profa-Thank you for the info about the Autopia drivers license. Didn't know about that. :)
SMD-Yes, we already bought so we could be getting our discounts as we're reserving things. Thanks for the tip though. :)

As much as I love DLR, I can't imagine spending 15 days there and 12 at the parks. Especially with 5 year olds who can't do all the rides. I'm just saying that is a lot of time and I suspect 6 days at the parks will be more than enough for your family - even on a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

So since you are posting here looking for input, and you have a lot of time to plan before April, consider branching out and doing other things.

Best of luck to you!

I agree with the statement above. We have twins that just turned 4. Little kids get so exhausted from being in the parks. Where are you staying? If you are staying onsite, there are things you can do, like Downtown Disney Day and pool day. Also, there is LegoLand nearby. I'm super jealous that you are able to go for so long, though!! You are LUCKY!! :cheer2:

I had fun planning everything down to the minute, but know things don't always work the way you expect. I'm going to get a little thrill out of comparing what I planned to what happens. :lmao:

My son and his wife didn't go on a honeymoon after they were married. Life and responsibilities got in the way. They decided to take this opportunity to take that honeymoon after a decade of marriage. :)
I know they're going to spend some time in the southwest US, but they are going to end that honeymoon at DLR.
We're meeting them for dinner at Rainforest Cafe (another reservation) our first Saturday there. Sunday morning we're meeting in front of the park to take pictures and go in together. Who would want to miss their child's reaction to that magical place? We're planning on taking the train around the park and then riding a few choice rides the DIL wants to ride with her children. Then we say goodbye around 11am and have our vacation. A nice little extra. :)
Good thing the grandchildren are 7 and 9 or I would be worried about tears. As it is, they can't see past their own excitement right now. ::yes::
We had to cancel the tour we were going to take because that interfered with the plan. Park opens at 8, tour at 10...doesn't work. I just went ahead and bought them all some Disney lanyards because they won't be getting them from the tour. They love them! :thumbsup2

Our second Saturday we will be getting away from the resort. Living in Iowa, all four children are dying to see the ocean. We'll spend the afternoon there and already got some buckets, shovels, etc. :beach:

Sorry it took so long to respond, been REALLY busy.

I hope this is the last time I have to plan our days for this trip. This is the 3rd time I've had to change them. At least now the entertainment schedule is up, we have our hotel booked, etc.

Ok, the final plan is leaving early on Thursday April 11 and getting to Anaheim in the afternoon on Friday April 12. We will be getting a hotel for the night on the way.
We're staying at the Embassy Suites in Anaheim. It was the only thing available at that time for 6 people. At least we don't have to worry about breakfast every morning as they serve a full hot breakfast.

So excited for you this trip is going ahead as planned have a great time :)

Riahsha said:
Thank you very much!
I look at my countdown and still can't believe it's so close. :)

Have a great time! We arrive on 4/13 and will be at the VGC until 4/19. Hoping we have good weather and most of the spring break crowd is gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter