The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this arguing and getting worked up over hypotheticals. Why not just wait and see what DCL decides to do.
Not worked up, but it is exciting to see movement. I am just trying to read what is going on to reconcile the CDC guidance, cruise line plans, and the Florida laws. (Oh, and I did go look at celebrity cruises, even though I have only cruised on Disney so far.)

We are still waiting for Disney to say something, even about their plans in Seattle for Alaska. I have been waiting since my cruise last Sept was cancelled, and so looking forward to getting on a boat again, and would much rather discuss DCL announcements, but we are where we are.

Last edited:

Not worked up, but it is exciting to see movement. I am just trying to read what is going on to reconcile the CDC guidance, cruise line plans, and the Florida laws. (Oh, and I did go look at celebrity cruises, even though I have only cruised on Disney so far.)

We are still waiting for Disney to say something, even about their plans in Seattle for Alaska. I have been waiting since my cruise last Sept was cancelled, and so looking forward to getting on a boat again, and would much rather discuss DCL announcements, but we are where we are.
I'm glad we started trying other cruise lines. It's very liberating not to be tied to DCL anymore. It's also a lot easier on the bank account.

Vaccine News from Quebec (Canada): the AZ shots that remain will be used for 2nd shots only, which will be given to anyone who had received their 1st AZ shot 8 weeks ago. Reducing the delay between the two shots for those who received AZ will definitely boost our "fully vaccinated" numbers and bring us closer to normal life.

Rumor has it that the government will announce (next week) that we'll be allowed to book our second shots earlier...

Quebec is starting to slowly remove restrictions starting today. No more curfew, outdoor dining is now permitted and backyard BBQ for a maximum of 8 people are now permitted. In some regions, restaurants can reopen at lower capacity but some regions like Montreal (us) will have to wait until June 7.

Lots of chatter about reopening Canada/USA borders on June 22, 2021 and remove mandatory quarantine and covid testing for fully vaccinated travelers this summer. My personal prediction is that they will announce both at the same time.

Most cruise ships are registered in the Bahamas, and thus are subject to Bahamian Laws (not US; it’s how they get around labor laws, environmental laws, and taxes, among other things) once they reach international waters. I imagine that complicates this whole process, too, even if maritime law allows for some leeway in international waters. Right now the Bahamas requires proof of vaccination or a negative test for entry. If cruises go to the Bahamas, I presume anyone wanting to disembark who doesn’t provide proof of vaccination will need to take a test.

(Personally, I’m in the camp of vaccines should be required for cruising. Cruise lines cannot afford an outbreak, and cruising is far more risky than just about any other travel activity given the close quarters and indoor dining areas. It’s not worth risking people’s health, especially as even mild cases have a risk of long term health impacts. My husband, oldest son, and I are now fully vaccinated, and my youngest gets his second shot a week from Saturday. We are tentatively booked on the 3-day Dream cruise Thanksgiving weekend with my SIL and family and anxiously waiting like so many to see what DCL’s plans may be.)

Vaccine News from Quebec (Canada): the AZ shots that remain will be used for 2nd shots only, which will be given to anyone who had received their 1st AZ shot 8 weeks ago. Reducing the delay between the two shots for those who received AZ will definitely boost our "fully vaccinated" numbers and bring us closer to normal life.

Rumor has it that the government will announce (next week) that we'll be allowed to book our second shots earlier...

Quebec is starting to slowly remove restrictions starting today. No more curfew, outdoor dining is now permitted and backyard BBQ for a maximum of 8 people are now permitted. In some regions, restaurants can reopen at lower capacity but some regions like Montreal (us) will have to wait until June 7.

Lots of chatter about reopening Canada/USA borders on June 22, 2021 and remove mandatory quarantine and covid testing for fully vaccinated travelers this summer. My personal prediction is that they will announce both at the same time.

That would be awesome if they reopened the border. My mom and brother are coming to visit at the end of June for the first time since we've lived in upstate NY and Mom was talking about visiting Niagara Falls for a day or 2. The NY side is pretty ugh, so unless they opened up the border, I was considering skipping altogether. I don't know if any quarantine requirements would come into play for a border crossing even we're vaccinated, but I'll still take it as good news!

That would be awesome if they reopened the border. My mom and brother are coming to visit at the end of June for the first time since we've lived in upstate NY and Mom was talking about visiting Niagara Falls for a day or 2. The NY side is pretty ugh, so unless they opened up the border, I was considering skipping altogether. I don't know if any quarantine requirements would come into play for a border crossing even we're vaccinated, but I'll still take it as good news!

Niagara Falls is amazing. Clifton Hills feels very Disney-esque and they even have Rainforest Café! :)

Here in BC they announced yesterday they are moving up second doses from 16 weeks to 8 weeks, unless, of course you got AZ 😒 Gen Xers step up to the plate, then we get left behind 🙄 Apparently a separate announcement is coming the end of next week for AZ. As for the border reopening, I'm still sticking with my Sept prediction. While BC, AB and Quebec have very aggressive reopening plans, Atlantic Canada and Ontario do not. You can't even get a haircut in Ontario until mid July which is mind boggling to me as our salons reopened May 2020 and never closed again. And our schools have been open fully since Sept 2020 while they are back to virtual in ON. I know the border is federal but reopening to travelers when you can't even get a haircut seems bizarre to me 😳😂

Here in BC they announced yesterday they are moving up second doses from 16 weeks to 8 weeks, unless, of course you got AZ 😒 Gen Xers step up to the plate, then we get left behind 🙄 Apparently a separate announcement is coming the end of next week for AZ. As for the border reopening, I'm still sticking with my Sept prediction. While BC, AB and Quebec have very aggressive reopening plans, Atlantic Canada and Ontario do not. You can't even get a haircut in Ontario until mid July which is mind boggling to me as our salons reopened May 2020 and never closed again. And our schools have been open fully since Sept 2020 while they are back to virtual in ON. I know the border is federal but reopening to travelers when you can't even get a haircut seems bizarre to me 😳😂

Research says that 12 weeks between AZ doses gives the best protection, so I'm ok with waiting for it. I think it will depend on supplies though.

As an Ontarian who has been cutting her own hair since March 2020 (actually May last year), I would like to get a proper haircut lol... my son is ok with the clippers but I'm thinking I would like a better look :D I guess I have some time to figure out what I want to do since it'll be mid-July.

Ontario had it rough in the last weeks... I'm not that surprised.

Well you know, Alberta has an aggressive opening plan so it can be open in time for the Stampede 🙄. I hope it doesn’t com back to bite us in the butt…I predict fully open by June 25ish.
We are opening up second vaccinations next week to those 65+ (70+ has been available for a while already). Sounds like lots of interest in double vaccination rates across the country. I’ve been hearing the 85% range 😊

Forbes is reporting that the DeSantis administration is considering designating that ships on the water are not in Florida, and thus not subject to Florida's ban on vaccine requirements.

Apparently, the revised messaging would assert that the cruise terminal will be in Florida, while “as soon as you pass through and step on the ship, you’re no longer considered to be local. You’re now in international waters,” said Ritzenthaler, who noted that DeSantis will still be able to say “that people in Florida will not have to show vaccination proof to go to bars and restaurants and Walmart and Target, but how cruising is a little bit different.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzann...s-cruise-line-exemption-vaccine-passport-ban/

Forbes is reporting that the DeSantis administration is considering designating that ships on the water are not in Florida, and thus not subject to Florida's ban on vaccine requirements.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzann...s-cruise-line-exemption-vaccine-passport-ban/
Interesting article. Thanks for posting the link. I found this quote particularly interesting:
And it’s hard to imagine that cruise lines are hearing much complaining about vaccine mandates from customers. In a February survey of nearly 3,000 Cruise Critic readers, more than eight in 10 (81%) respondents said they would cruise if a vaccine were mandated prior to setting sail, and only 5% said that a vaccine requirement would deter them from cruising.

“If the cruise lines, as private businesses, want to require a vaccine verification, I think that is something they should be allowed to do,” said Castrucci. “There is no inalienable constitutional right to cruise, so it should be within the cruise lines’ purview to make this decision.”

Tradeoff between antibodies and T-cell memory! Maybe 8 weeks is the charm?

Now, it's a bit of a catch-22 for that older age group. One dose isn't enough for full protection - so, how do you keep them safe between the two more widely separated doses? If you can control the transmission and exposure, this is an excellent find and should be researched better for the boosters. For higher-risk settings, the delayed dose may be the rescue arriving too late.

Tradeoff between antibodies and T-cell memory! Maybe 8 weeks is the charm?

Now, it's a bit of a catch-22 for that older age group. One dose isn't enough for full protection - so, how do you keep them safe between the two more widely separated doses? If you can control the transmission and exposure, this is an excellent find and should be researched better for the boosters. For higher-risk settings, the delayed dose may be the rescue arriving too late.

Right now, masks are mandatory in every public spaces. So is social distancing. We are only allowed to meet with a certain number of people outside —backyards, outdoor dining-- (but some regions where they have less than 10 cases per 100 000* can actually eat inside restaurants!). Theaters have very low max capacity. Working from home is mandatory (when possible)... That’s how we protect people in between doses.

Here in Quebec, they will announce later today that we can now avoid the 16 weeks delay between doses. My personal prediction is that they will tell us that we are eligible for the 2nd dose after 8 weeks and will go through the same staggered pattern 70-65-60, etc. Can’t wait to see what their plan is. :)

EDIT: *For those who are curious, this is how they determine which level we are: out of precaution, they tend to keep us in the previous category. According to this scale (Harvard), most of Quebec should be « Yellow ». They are keeping us « Orange ». In Montreal, our numbers are « Orange » going « Yellow » but they are keeping us « Red » until June 7.

DF9BC21A-FEB6-4ED6-8BA6-1D41139C5E4C.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter