The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Straight from the horse's mouth...here is Terri's response to my inquiry on DVC discount on the Magic Key program:

"Hope this finds you and your family doing well. We are excited to see this new program roll out as well.

The pass program at Disneyland is different than Walt Disney World, so the offer for DVC Members is different, but there is one. DVC Members receive a $20 discount on the Enchant, Believe and Dream Key. The purchase must be made on site at the Box Office and you need to show your DVC Member “blue card” to receive.

Hope that insight helps.

Terri"

Hopefully they’ll disperse this info to CMs before Key sales start or post it on the DVC site so we can show the CMs if they try to argue it. I’d definitely save that email in case you’re planning to utilize the “discount.” So aggravating that we have to do everything at the ticket windows. I wish we could at least purchase the voucher and then finalize by showing our blue card when we have our first visit as we do at WDW.

Our family will need to strategize a bit with the new reservation system in place if we want to take advantage of the $60-80 savings…🤔

Scored a last minute VGC ressie on expiring points and I'm so overwhelmed. It's been literally 6 years since we've stayed. A few questions for the experts

(1) World of Color is not playing right now right? I checked the Disney website it says no performances--- so there's no fireworks show visible from VGC?

(2) are there any 2 bdrm villas that overlook DTD that I can request?

(3) Earlier commenters said in July that the slide is closed (sad). Is this still true?

(4) If I want to rent a Cabana, is it worth it at this point? Recent prices?

(5) anyone know if Napa Rose has a bar or something if we just want to drink wine at night as a night cap?

Thanks so much in advance! I'm so overwhelmed and don't even know where to start anymore. Rusty at this!

Scored a last minute VGC ressie on expiring points and I'm so overwhelmed. It's been literally 6 years since we've stayed. A few questions for the experts

(2) are there any 2 bdrm villas that overlook DTD that I can request?

The VGC units are South of the main GCH (hotel) building. None of the VGC rooms overlook DTD. They have a view of the Mariposa pool or DCA.

Question for anyone who has visited lately. How busy has it been at the pool? Are you able to spend any time there or is capacity limited?

(3) Earlier commenters said in July that the slide is closed (sad). Is this still true?

Based on everything I have seen recently, including media events within the last couple of weeks, the slide is open. It seems the official policy is that it "may" be closed.

Straight from the horse's mouth...here is Terri's response to my inquiry on DVC discount on the Magic Key program:

"Hope this finds you and your family doing well. We are excited to see this new program roll out as well.

The pass program at Disneyland is different than Walt Disney World, so the offer for DVC Members is different, but there is one. DVC Members receive a $20 discount on the Enchant, Believe and Dream Key. The purchase must be made on site at the Box Office and you need to show your DVC Member “blue card” to receive.

Hope that insight helps.

Terri"

Say I want to take advantage of this, I'm a little confused on how I would do it with reservations in place currently. Would I pay to park to get to the box office? While that can get reimbursed with Dream key, say there's no more same day reservations for the parks, so I'm SOL? And your Key would still start that day since you used that perk. Or pay $25 for parking to save $20 on the Magic key. 🤪 Or I guess I can pay $10 to park at Simba and save a whopping $10 for the key then. Does anyone else have any other ideas that I'm not seeing? At least with WDW we have the opportunity to wait on hold for 4-6hrs to purchase our DVC APs.

Say I want to take advantage of this, I'm a little confused on how I would do it with reservations in place currently. Would I pay to park to get to the box office? While that can get reimbursed with Dream key, say there's no more same day reservations for the parks, so I'm SOL? And your Key would still start that day since you used that perk. Or pay $25 for parking to save $20 on the Magic key. 🤪 Or I guess I can pay $10 to park at Simba and save a whopping $10 for the key then. Does anyone else have any other ideas that I'm not seeing? At least with WDW we have the opportunity to wait on hold for 4-6hrs to purchase our DVC APs.
I’m not clear from your post if your reservations in place are park reservations or VGC reservations. Throwing out some possibilities that may help if you have VGC reservations -
Unless things have changed, since opening there have been two park reservation buckets, one for Disney hotel guests and the regular one for non-hotel guests. On some dates when the regular buckets had no availability for park reservations, the DLR hotel bucket still had availability. The DLR hotel reservation bucket is open/visible for DVC VGC reservations after you link your DVC reservation on the DLR website.

Unknown here is if Disneyland will have three reservation buckets starting August 25, adding a bucket for Magic Key (MK) holders, similar to what WDW had for AP’s at their reopening.
  • Also unknown is if a Magic Key pass can book from the hotel reservation bucket with a confirmed Disney hotel or DVC VGC reservation…we may not know that until folks get MKs and try to book from the hotel reservation bucket.
  • So, if you want to chance it, buy your MKs & then look for same day park availability in the hotel park reservation bucket should the MK bucket be fully booked.
  • Maybe wait a few days after August 25, so folks can post back on what they are seeing re reservation buckets and ability to use the hotel bucket with MK, to see if any of these are viable options.

Another option might be to purchase a regular multi-day ticket to book park reservations in advance of your visit, then convert the ticket to a MK pass while the ticket is still valid. This would ensure you had park reservations for the desired dates of your stay. From the DLR MK terms & conditions page, under Upgrades -

UPGRADES: A Guest wishing to upgrade to a Pass from another form of eligible Disneyland® Resort theme park admission media must upgrade on the same day in which the original form of theme park admission media is valid, and must choose a Pass of equal or greater value than the retail price of the original theme park admission media when it was purchased. The difference in prices must be paid in full at the time of the upgrade. If an upgrade to a Pass is made from a multi-day ticket, the Pass will be backdated to begin on the first day that such ticket was used; if an upgrade to a Pass is made from a lower level Pass, the new Pass will have the same expiration date as the original Pass. Each guest wishing to upgrade their theme park admission media to a Pass must be present at the time of the upgrade transaction. Fully used, or partially used and expired, theme park admission media, complimentary ticket media, special event ticket media and ticket media stating its ineligibility for an upgrade may not be upgraded to a Pass. Upgrades are subject to Pass availability. Downgrades are not allowed.

You mention possibly paying $10 for parking in Simba to get your MK pass prior to your visit. Not knowing how many ticket booths will be open for upgrades or how long that process might take, it might end up being more than $10 to park in Simba - from DLR website on DTD parking -

The first hour of parking costs $10. Validations apply after the first hour of paid parking.

Enjoy an additional 3 hours of same-day parking with a $20-minimum purchase and validation from any Downtown Disney location—or up to 5 additional hours of same-day parking with validation from any Downtown Disney table-service restaurant.

Beyond these validations, each additional hour costs $14, charged in 30-minute increments, with a minimum $7. The maximum daily parking and lost ticket fee is $66. Parking is subject to capacity.

Another unknown is if an existing future park reservation associated with a ticket will be transferred to the MK pass after an upgrade, or if the ticket reservation will be canceled when the ticket is invalidated with the upgrade & new park reservations are needed using the MK from a MK reservation bucket. You may need to contact Disney for help with this question, or else maybe the CMs in the ticket booths would be able to help. This is a big unknown until folks try this after getting MK upgrades with future park reservations in place.

No-cost parking options just to buy the MK pass would require finding someplace within walking distance where you could park for a bit. I’m sorry, I don’t know Anaheim well enough to be able to suggest a place for you.

Re your question on whether your MK would start if you used the parking perk with the Dream key but could not get a park reservation after purchase - it appears so after reviewing the MK terms & conditions (bold added by me) -

UNACTIVATED PASS EXPIRATION: A Pass is valid for applicable privileges for one (1) year from the date of use of the Pass for first entry into a Disneyland® Resort theme park or use of the parking benefit on the pass for a fully-paid first entry into a pay-on-entry lot at the Disneyland® Resort. Use of a Pass for a discount on parking will not activate the Pass. Pass privileges will not be available until such Pass is activated via park entry or applicable entry into a pay-on-entry lot; provided however, that park reservations, as applicable and subject to associated restrictions, may be made in anticipation of activation of a Pass so long as such Pass has not expired.

Good luck with working it out!

I’m not clear from your post if your reservations in place are park reservations or VGC reservations. Throwing out some possibilities that may help if you have VGC reservations -
Unless things have changed, since opening there have been two park reservation buckets, one for Disney hotel guests and the regular one for non-hotel guests. On some dates when the regular buckets had no availability for park reservations, the DLR hotel bucket still had availability. The DLR hotel reservation bucket is open/visible for DVC VGC reservations after you link your DVC reservation on the DLR website.

Unknown here is if Disneyland will have three reservation buckets starting August 25, adding a bucket for Magic Key (MK) holders, similar to what WDW had for AP’s at their reopening.
  • Also unknown is if a Magic Key pass can book from the hotel reservation bucket with a confirmed Disney hotel or DVC VGC reservation…we may not know that until folks get MKs and try to book from the hotel reservation bucket.
  • So, if you want to chance it, buy your MKs & then look for same day park availability in the hotel park reservation bucket should the MK bucket be fully booked.
  • Maybe wait a few days after August 25, so folks can post back on what they are seeing re reservation buckets and ability to use the hotel bucket with MK, to see if any of these are viable options.

Another option might be to purchase a regular multi-day ticket to book park reservations in advance of your visit, then convert the ticket to a MK pass while the ticket is still valid. This would ensure you had park reservations for the desired dates of your stay. From the DLR MK terms & conditions page, under Upgrades -

UPGRADES: A Guest wishing to upgrade to a Pass from another form of eligible Disneyland® Resort theme park admission media must upgrade on the same day in which the original form of theme park admission media is valid, and must choose a Pass of equal or greater value than the retail price of the original theme park admission media when it was purchased. The difference in prices must be paid in full at the time of the upgrade. If an upgrade to a Pass is made from a multi-day ticket, the Pass will be backdated to begin on the first day that such ticket was used; if an upgrade to a Pass is made from a lower level Pass, the new Pass will have the same expiration date as the original Pass. Each guest wishing to upgrade their theme park admission media to a Pass must be present at the time of the upgrade transaction. Fully used, or partially used and expired, theme park admission media, complimentary ticket media, special event ticket media and ticket media stating its ineligibility for an upgrade may not be upgraded to a Pass. Upgrades are subject to Pass availability. Downgrades are not allowed.

You mention possibly paying $10 for parking in Simba to get your MK pass prior to your visit. Not knowing how many ticket booths will be open for upgrades or how long that process might take, it might end up being more than $10 to park in Simba - from DLR website on DTD parking -

The first hour of parking costs $10. Validations apply after the first hour of paid parking.

Enjoy an additional 3 hours of same-day parking with a $20-minimum purchase and validation from any Downtown Disney location—or up to 5 additional hours of same-day parking with validation from any Downtown Disney table-service restaurant.

Beyond these validations, each additional hour costs $14, charged in 30-minute increments, with a minimum $7. The maximum daily parking and lost ticket fee is $66. Parking is subject to capacity.

Another unknown is if an existing future park reservation associated with a ticket will be transferred to the MK pass after an upgrade, or if the ticket reservation will be canceled when the ticket is invalidated with the upgrade & new park reservations are needed using the MK from a MK reservation bucket. You may need to contact Disney for help with this question, or else maybe the CMs in the ticket booths would be able to help. This is a big unknown until folks try this after getting MK upgrades with future park reservations in place.

No-cost parking options just to buy the MK pass would require finding someplace within walking distance where you could park for a bit. I’m sorry, I don’t know Anaheim well enough to be able to suggest a place for you.

Re your question on whether your MK would start if you used the parking perk with the Dream key but could not get a park reservation after purchase - it appears so after reviewing the MK terms & conditions (bold added by me) -

UNACTIVATED PASS EXPIRATION: A Pass is valid for applicable privileges for one (1) year from the date of use of the Pass for first entry into a Disneyland® Resort theme park or use of the parking benefit on the pass for a fully-paid first entry into a pay-on-entry lot at the Disneyland® Resort. Use of a Pass for a discount on parking will not activate the Pass. Pass privileges will not be available until such Pass is activated via park entry or applicable entry into a pay-on-entry lot; provided however, that park reservations, as applicable and subject to associated restrictions, may be made in anticipation of activation of a Pass so long as such Pass has not expired.

Good luck with working it out!
Thanks for being so thorough. I think I decided to just wait it out and see if someone posts they got their DVC discount at the box office or not. I do have my last of my 3 day cali tickets to use and reserved it for my first day during my VGC stay in September. Best case scenario is I go to box office that day and they let me buy my key and make reservation for the next day. I’m hoping the hotel bucket would mean I have a good chance of getting a park reservation using my Key for the second day but I know there’s no guarantees. I also did go ahead and book a Napa Rose ressie for next week and maybe I can use that opportunity of complimentary parking to buy my Key at the box office. That way I can make my park reservations a bit earlier. I guess we’ll find out in a few days how fast park reservations are full for Keyholders!

We haven't been to the VGC since October 2019 and have a trip coming up this week. Pre-Covid we used to have groceries delivered from Vons. Has anyone had groceries delivered lately? Are they still accepted at bell services?

We haven't been to the VGC since October 2019 and have a trip coming up this week. Pre-Covid we used to have groceries delivered from Vons. Has anyone had groceries delivered lately? Are they still accepted at bell services?
No changes to grocery delivery on our recent trip. Bell services will accept as long as there is no alcohol in the order. :thumbsup2

Thanks for being so thorough. I think I decided to just wait it out and see if someone posts they got their DVC discount at the box office or not. I do have my last of my 3 day cali tickets to use and reserved it for my first day during my VGC stay in September. Best case scenario is I go to box office that day and they let me buy my key and make reservation for the next day. I’m hoping the hotel bucket would mean I have a good chance of getting a park reservation using my Key for the second day but I know there’s no guarantees. I also did go ahead and book a Napa Rose ressie for next week and maybe I can use that opportunity of complimentary parking to buy my Key at the box office. That way I can make my park reservations a bit earlier. I guess we’ll find out in a few days how fast park reservations are full for Keyholders!

Not sure if you’ve seen today’s Disney Blog post - it says ticket booths will not be open at this time.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...y-pass-your-top-magic-key-questions-answered/

Oof, this Magic Key sale is going to be a mess. I haven’t had a chance to follow up, but on a chat with a DLR CM, I was told “IF” they still give the DVC discount, we’d have to do it in person at the booth…Apparently at the booth that won’t be open…🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ And the CM had heard nothing about the DVC $20 discount being applicable for the keys. 🧐

Not sure if you’ve seen today’s Disney Blog post - it says ticket booths will not be open at this time.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...y-pass-your-top-magic-key-questions-answered/

I did and so I chatted with a CM and she said she doesn’t know where I can get my DVC discount yet but will hopefully have more info on Wednesday. I’m pretty sure it has to be in person though to verify my DVC card but I’m in no hurry so guess wait and see. I want my $20 discount 🤣

Oof, this Magic Key sale is going to be a mess. I haven’t had a chance to follow up, but on a chat with a DLR CM, I was told “IF” they still give the DVC discount, we’d have to do it in person at the booth…Apparently at the booth that won’t be open…🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ And the CM had heard nothing about the DVC $20 discount being applicable for the keys. 🧐

My person confirmed the discount but said not sure where.

Attachments

• 80F3587A-D26F-428D-85C1-9F2629DE77C2.jpeg
    80F3587A-D26F-428D-85C1-9F2629DE77C2.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 7
Booked at our 11 month window and are all ready for July 2022 !! Staying a week at VGC with at least 3 days in DL . We are renting a car to drive the 1 and 1/2 hours to San Diego and one day at Magic Mountain. Super excited to be going back to DL since we couldn't go because of covid in 2020. Just had to share with others that will get my excitement

Sharing - just got my Magic Key passes and tried to book park reservations from the hotel bucket using the hotel reservation link on my DVC reservation in the website and it will not allow me to do so. I had to book the park reservations from the Magic Key reservation bucket. It did work with a DVC reservation and regular tickets earlier this summer.

Not too happy about this…hopefully it will be changed at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter