The wedding that almost wasn't... a trip report 5/4/07

hulagirl87

DIS Veteran
Yea! I'm starting my own trip report!!! Yes, my title is a little weird... Our wedding day was supposed to be 4/30/07. As you can see, we got married on 5/4/07. All will be explained!

The cast:
me: Amy - Disney bride - :bride:
him: Drew - Disney groom - :sick: he starts with this one :sad2: ... then he'll get this one :groom: keep following along... you'll see

A little background... I am a Disney freak. I go once a year and love love love it. I actually worked for the Disney store for over 8 years so our house is pretty disney-fied. Drew has never been and he is very supportive of my habit. He was very on board for a Disney wedding bless his heart. :love:

We left on Sunday April 29th. I was concerned about the whole dress fitting in the overhead bin. My dress was very full on the bottom but my mom and I had actually taken white stretchy garbage bags, taped them together and then pulled them around the bottom of the dress to make the dress smaller. It worked! Here we are at the airport and then here is a pic of the dress and the tux that we had to carry on...

100_0386.jpg

100_0387.jpg

The flights were pretty non eventful. Everyone was helpful regarding the dress. I didn't realize how heavy it was until I was lugging it through the connecting airport! Lots of stares from people, but we made it. Got to Orlando and went to get in line for Magical Express. There were a ton of people there!!! The line moved quickly and we were on our way. We were staying at the GF so were the last stop on the bus that we were on. It wasn't that long of a ride and it was nice to see all the stops that we made.

When we got to GF there were a lot of people checking in. We waited about 15 minutes and then spoke with someone. At this point we are holding our dress and tux. The woman asks if there is anything special going on. We tell her we are getting married tomorrow. She gives us the first of many congratulations on our trip. And gives us our "just married" buttons! so cute! She assigns us to a room and off we go. We get to our room and walk in. I had asked for a king bed and when we get in, it was 2 double beds, also when we started to use things in the room there were some maintenance issues. I had made plans for Carolyn Allen's to come steam my gown at 3:00. At this point it is 2:00, I have called to let her know of our room number and she is on her way. I have also called the other vendors of our room number as well. I called the front desk about the maintenance issues and they were sending someone over. Conveniently :rolleyes: maintenance and Sue from Carolyn Allen's show up at the same time. Drew wasn't thrilled with our 2 double bed situation so he went to talk to the front desk. He came back and said that the had put us in the wrong room and we had to move. My dress was half steamed! Sue was very nice and moved everything over to the new room. I called everyone back and let them know of our room change. Our new room was spectacular. I loved it. Here is the view from our new room...
100_0401.jpg

Sue finished my dress while Drew waited on the balcony. She steamed his tux and then we let the dress dry in the bathroom. She was excellent and so nice. After she left we went to Gasparilla Grill and Games to get some food. We bought our refillable mugs that would come in so handy for the rest of the trip! We went back to the room and just hung out. Went to sleep early. Little did I know the drama that was about to occur.....

I want to make sure I'm around to hear the drama! :)

It looks like there's a happy ending, though, so I won't be too nervous!

Monday April 30th!!! Ok, wait, let me change that... Monday April 30th :eek: Drew woke up at 12:30am and was the sickest I have ever seen him. I won't go into much detail, but he was in the bathroom more than the bed :sick: I wasn't sure what to do and he couldn't stop throwing up. He wanted to know if there was a dr. in the hotel. I didn't know if there was, so I called the front desk. They said that there wasn't but they could connect me with the paramedics. I spoke with them and 10 minutes later they were at the door. At this point Drew was in bed, but not well. He said that he felt a little better after throwing up, but not great. They wanted to know if he wanted to go to the hospital. They said that it was very busy and that there would probably be a 4-5 hour wait. All I could think was that we were supposed to be getting married at noon!!! They recommended gatorade for replenishing fluids and pepto bismol for his stomach and that if we needed them to come back they would. So we tried to go to sleep. Drew tossed and turned, I think I fell asleep, I'm not sure.

Around 6:30 I woke up, Drew was in the bathroom on the floor. I went to the front desk to see if I could get some pepto bismol. The store wasn't open but they found the key and got it for me after they found out that it was our wedding day (of course upon checkout, this small bottle of pepto cost me $10 but let's not get into that now...) I got back to the room, gave Drew some pepto which he proceeded to throw up. I called our coordinator Juliana around 7:30 because I was pretty sure we weren't going to be getting married.... I had to leave a voice mail, but she called right back. She said not to worry and she would start to work on it. I called Anna for my hair and Randy Chapman. They were both very understanding and said to let them know when we were rescheduling for. I called Drew's doctor here at home and he said to get Drew to the hospital and get fluids in him. I called the paramedics back and they came with a stretcher and off we went in an ambulance to Celebration hospital(very nice hospital by the way). We got there around 9 and were there for about 3 hours. Drew got 2 bags of IV fluids and medicine for his nausea. We were told that it was viral gastronitis, or Noro virus. When people were finding out it was our wedding day, of course the joke was that he was doing everything he could to get out of it. Yeah, it really wasn't funny.... :rolleyes: Juliana called while we were in the hospital. I let her know that we were there and she said not to worry and that we were rescheduled for that Friday 5/4. She had contacted Reverend Miller for me and he was ok with that day as well. I called Anna back as well as Randy and they both said that they would be available that day - thank goodness!!!

Got Drew back to the hotel, where he just laid down and did nothing. It was a crazy day and he felt horrible, in all senses of the word. He thought that he had ruined my day. I told him not to worry about it and to just get better for friday!
Coming up next... solo at MGM

oh my gosh!!! I'm so glad people were so understanding and willing to work out a new schedule for you!! what a nightmare!!!

oh, and I've been to the celebration hospital before... my mom got pretty sick on a family trip to WDW once and we had to take her there ASAP... it's VERY nice!

can't wait to hear more!

Awww...the poor guy. I can only imagine the stress of the day, I'm glad it was nothing serious though. Thank goodness the magic of Disney prevailed. I can't wait to hear more...

you poor things! Your TR looks like it's gonna be one of the most 'different' I've read in a looong while! That asides, I'm glad you finally got to tie the knot and that hopefully you're both feeling well. Can't wait until the next instalment......

Wow! I must say that this is the most interesting Trip Report by far that I have ever read. I feel so bad for you guys! I hate that he was sick-- and know that he probobly felt 100% terrible about it. I hope things started to look up after your hospital visit. Im so glad that the vendors had that day open and were accomodating to your needs. Things happen for a reason-- and im sure that this will make a great story down the road! How did DFTW handle things other than changing the date? Did they seem pretty accomodating? I noticed you were getting married at that point days later-- had you planned on being in Disney that long? Congratulations since you were able to get married-- i cant wait for more! :hug:

Wow, I can't imagine how stressful that was on the both of you. I'm so glad it sounds like everything worked out :goodvibes I can't wait to read more :)

Wow that is a crazy story! I cant wait to hear the rest!!

Congrats on your marriage by the way :)

subscribing! I can't wait to hear more! It sounds like Disney was really accomodating, which is sooo good to hear! It seems (so far) that you had a decent experience with the change of date. I'm glad to hear that if anything ever happens Disney will be there for you helping you to re-arrange everything!!!

Congrats! Can't wait to hear more and see more pictures!!! :goodvibes

so glad that your vendors and DFTW were all able to reschedule, at least you got married in the end!!!

wow, I love your story. It really makes you remember why you get married afterall - to be there for each other through thick and thin. Wedding's can always be rescheduled....

...especially in DISNEY!!! Can't wait to hear more and see more pictures!!!popcorn::

Oh, I've heard awful things about the Noro virus! Glad your hubby turned out ok in the end. Did they ever figure out where he got the virus to begin with?

"in sickness and in health" - boy, truer words never written!! sorry to hear he was so ill, but it sounds like everyone came through in getting your husband feeling better!! thank goodness!! :love: prevails above all else..

can't wait to hear more!

Michelle :cloud9:

Wow, rough going! I'm glad to hear everyone was able to re-schedule, that must have been such a relief.

I don't envy your hubby. I caught that darn virus when I was working on a cruise ship, and it knocked me on my patootie for a couple of days. Ick!

OMG what a nightmare!! that you both had to go through all that! I hope he recovered quickly

Wow, what a wedding day! Well at least your DH is now healthy and things can always be rescheduled (that must have felt great that your vendors were available for the new date). Keep it coming, I can't wait to see how your ceremony went!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter