The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Sheryl, Is this recipe on this page?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103&page=154

Just in case the link did not work

Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie
Narcoossee's, Grand Floridian

3 eggs lightly beaten
pinch of salt
1 cup light corn syrup
½ cup chocolate chips
1 Tbl butter melted
1 heaping cup pecan meats
½ cup sugar
1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 400º
In a mixing bowl combine ingredients in order given, mix well and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 5 minutes and then reduce heat to 300º and continue baking for 1 hour or until filling is thick. Cool on wire rack and serve at room temp.

Caili passed! :yay: Thanks again for sending her good luck. She skated very well. She was the first skater to test, which was good because she didn't have to stand around, but also bad because she kept looking at the judge like, "Is this right?" :confused3 She was really happy and relieved when she got her score sheet.

Bethany -- Congratulations on the parking spot and for what you did to earn it.

Aimee -- I can't believe your granddad is not getting better care managing his blood sugar. You need someone like Nancy to go talk to them.

Nancy -- I'm sorry Marisa is in pain. I hope they find something to get her relief soon.

Lauri -- I hope you feel better.

Lauren and Maria -- Have good trips this weekend!

I have some bay scallops and a piece of sole that I bought yesterday, so I am making something with that...maybe sole meuniere.

Aimee- so sorry to hear about your Granddaddy. I also cannot understand how they made that mistake!

Sheryl- I hope that today finds you feeling better. A fall is not what you needed right now

Lauren- safe travels!

Maria- 200 cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bethany- I think that a nomination from your peers is one of the most gratifying honors! Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauri- I hope that the sore scratchy throat does not develop into anything worse

Kat- how is Johnny feelign today? How are you holding up with the mancold??

Well, Marisa is on her way to the Dr. The poor thing is so sick :sad2:. She does not do well in the back seat so combine that with stop and go to her house and it was not good. Jeff just took my car but I think she is in for a long ride. I heard that there is a lot of traffic and it is a bit of a ride to begin with. Erica helped her to shower last night and wash he hair. She got so lightheaded but said it was worth it!

Buddy does not want her to go home today, he is worried that it will be too much but she misses her own home. She will need to come back on Sunday morning becasue Jeff needs to work at 4 that day and sleeps during the day but I will go and get her before then if she needs me to.

Welby and Brian had decided not to find out but did bring their sealed envelop home. She tried peeking through the light, holding it up to the sun, considered steaming it open :rotfl: kind of like Laura Petrie did years ago on the Dick Van **** show :rotfl:

She tormented Brian and he kept telling her it was up to her but she wanted him to cave. Turns out she is a novice at peeking through sealed envelopes because she tucked it into his lunch pail and within seconds they had their girl :lmao: She thought that he would be disappointed because he wanted a son but he has been texting her the sweetest things about their two baby girls :cloud9: I know that he would have loved a boy but honestly he is totally enchanted by his little girl and had said that she needed a sister so that they could tell each other secrets and be best friends. Welby is the one who is terrified that she is going to have two little girls with her personality! :rolleyes1

I think he is going to be outnumbered though in a good way. He sure does love his girls!

Just popping in a picture. I'll be back to catch up. Salmon with pomegranate glaze, edamame, and Armenian rice. It was delicious. The recipe is in this month's Food and Wine.

4119056150_95f59b596d.jpg

I'd love this recipe when you get a minute! Thanks.

Well, the painting is done, but the projects continue! Alan's sister is giving away a large screen tv, and Alan spoke up for it. So, he'll be picking that up today, which means we have to totally rearrange our seating area in the family room to accommodate the tv. I'm excited about it, though, as the old one was giving out. One less thing to buy this holiday season!

I'm off to bowling this morning. It's "Bowling for Turkeys" today. There's the chance to win one of 4 turkeys today. I don't think I will, but it would be fun! After that, Timothy, my SIL and I are heading to the opening of a Disney outlet store. I'm on their mailing list, so I got a special invite to go today, instead of the official opening tomorrow. I'm hoping to get some good deals on some Christmas gifts. They usually have good prices on jackets, shirts, stuffies, etc.

After that, it's back home to continue the projects. Not sure what we'll have for dinner. I'm trying to clean out all the stuff in the fridge, so we may have leftovers. If Alan gets tired of working, we may do a quick date night. Have to see! I'll post later.

Marisa is in my prayers this morning. I hope that all goes well with her.

Bethany - Hooray for peer recognition. That totally rocks!!!

Nancy - tell Welby congrats on the new girl. I think having a sister is the best thing in the world!

Laura - Congrats to Caili on her skating. I'm so impressed!

Everyone else, please have a great day, and I'll try to be back on later today.

I hope I don't miss anyone, please forgive me if I do.

Congrats to Welby & Brian!!!!!!!

Maria - Where do I begin? You truly have a heart of gold. The things you do for others amazes me at times. I am honored to call you a friend.:hug:

Bethany/Sheryl - The NY trip started when my co-worker and I talked about going since neither of us have been there. Now she's backing out so I need a travel companion. I'm just dying to do a long weekend!

Aimee - I feel so badly for Grandaddy, that's horrible!

Lauren - Have a safe trip and give all of your guys hugs from me!

WFD - We're going to check out this supposedly really good spot for boiled crabs and shrimp that is almost in my back yard yet I never knew it was there!

Hey,

As FBers will know I had a wee road accident this morning.

Sorry if I worried youse ,I guess my adrenaline was pumpimg because I dont remember posting about it.

I drove right into the back of someone.:confused3 I really dont know how but Im guessing my sleepless night may have some thing to do with it.

I am fine but the car took a bit of a dig.

Just a wee fright....

Well done to Caili.....:yay:

BBL...x

It's going to be really busy here for the next week. :upsidedow

Tonight I am going to JoAnn fabrics to scope out and decide what I want to get next Friday, I also have to get the backing fabric for my cousins quilt. Have to finish that between now and 1 tomorrow, his party is at 2.

I have to plan two more quilts I am making for Christmas before Friday so that I can get the fabric for them, which are the fabrics I am scoping out tonight.

I have curtains to put up in my room and the family room. I am making a "room" in the family room around the storage area by putting up a track system, like they use in hospitals, that I got from IKEA. It curently has fabric tacked to the ceiling. My plan is to eventually get everything in the storage area sorted, lots of it trashed or given away, and make it in to a arts, crafts and sewing "room".

I have to get the Christmas lights up on the house and in the yard.

Monday and Tuesday schools close early so I will be working in a program. I also have to judge a contest we are running.

Weds. I am off and have to finish the lights and get some baking and prep work done. Oh and hopefully doing Christmas cards. :thumbsup2

And most importantly I have to clean my desk off for the new computer. :woohoo:

Dinner tonight will be out somewhere, not sure yet, but I do have a Red Lobster gift card.

I left work at 8:30 yesterday morning (I know, why bother even going? :laughing:) because I had a migraine. It didn't ease up until around 2:30.

Are you feeling better today?

It's late, I can't sleep even though I've taken my meds. & I'm really really confused! I tripped earlier this evening & now my whole body hurts.

Oh no!! Are you sure you're okay?

Just stopping in to saythat Marisa has a 9:15 appointment at Uconn. I will bring her home and Jeff will take her. She had a rough night I guess. Buddy got me up at 4 when she had given up and tried to get up. I made her toast so that she could take a pin pill but I think it is official. Tht nerve thing has worn off. I will check back and catch up in a few hours.

I was afraid those meds would wear off with a vengence. Poor Marisa. :sick:

I have swimming later with T and then we are heading out to Pburgh. Sending love and hugs to all.

I hope y'all have a fabulous trip!! I bet you are all excited to be together!

Caili passed! :yay: Thanks again for sending her good luck. She skated very well. She was the first skater to test, which was good because she didn't have to stand around, but also bad because she kept looking at the judge like, "Is this right?" :confused3 She was really happy and relieved when she got her score sheet.

Well of course Miss Caili rocked it! :yay: I'm so glad she did well!

Hey,

As FBers will know I had a wee road accident this morning.

Sorry if I worried youse ,I guess my adrenaline was pumpimg because I dont remember posting about it.

I drove right into the back of someone.:confused3 I really dont know how but Im guessing my sleepless night may have some thing to do with it.

Just a wee fright....

Well done to Caili.....:yay:

BBL...x

I am so glad you are okay, but worried about your lack of sleep!

I'm worn out just reading your plans :rotfl: I hope you are able to accomplish it all.

Regarding Granddaddy. He's had diabetes for over 50 years and mainly stays between 200-300. The chart the hospital uses says that is too high and wants him close to 100. Anytime he gets close to 100 he drops and passes out. My uncle has told them that he just runs high and always has but they won't listen :confused3 They are trying to give him too much insulin to get him down and this is what happens. So at this point, they aren't keeping him for his heart but now for the bloodsugar. If they'd let him go home, he would maintain it just fine. And yes, we all know running that high could damage some of his organs but passing out everyday does worst damage and besides, he's 85! Maintaining his organs longterm is just not an issue right now. Keeping his quality of life up is.

I am going out with DH and his two "charges" for the afternoon so I'll figure out dinner later.

Congratulations to Caili! I'm glad she got to go first, it sounds scary but it's so much better to get it done with.

Aimee- I'm sorry your grandfather's having so much difficulty at the hospital. Sometimes people's "normal" just isn't everyone else's normal. I hope he can go home soon.

Vickie- Glad your okay. My husband fell asleep driving to work one day and hit a big rock, it was pretty scary but he's worn his seatbelt ever since that day.

Nancy- Hope Marisa is feeling better soon, how's Kady handling seeing her mom hurt?

Marilyn- I wish I had your talent, it sound's like you have a lot of fun projects planned.

Kathy- Have a fun time at dinner, I love discoveries like that. Hope it's as good as you've heard.

Glynis- Good luck Christmas shopping. The only thing on my daughter's list are three books. Santa could really use some more clues than that.

Bethany- Enjoy your parking spot, I'm sure you'll get another chance to park there! What a change from you school last year, I hope your really enjoying it.

The kiddo is off from school all next week and my husband has vacation time to use up so he'll be home all week too. I'm sure I'll be around here off and on, but just in case, hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

Tacos for dinner tonight.

Hey Y'all,

I'm doing okay today just aching a bit. I don't have time to feel bad too much to get done. It makes me mad that such a little thing makes me hurt. I didn't even actually fall down, just straining to keep from hitting the floor hurt, mad:. Thanks for the concern but y'all don't worry, I'll be fine by tomorrow I'm sure!

Vicki, I'm so glad you're okay! I'm sorry about your car & the troubles an accident causes. :hug:

Nancy, I feel so bad for Marisa! :hug: Surgery sucks! Prayers that she feels better soon.:flower3:

Lauren, That's the recipe! Thanks! :goodvibes I hope you have fun swimming with T & have a good trip to Pittsburgh! :hug:

Laura, Yay! for Caili!:cheer2::dance3: She must feel proud of herself! Good job for our Skating Princess!:goodvibes

Bethany, Yay & Good Job for you too!:thumbsup2

Kathy, You already have the trip booked & planned? When?

Becky, That looks wonderful!

Marilyn, Gosh that's a lot to get done, Good Luck getting it all done! :wizard: I'm excited to see your quilts soon.

Aimee, Prayers ongoing for your Granddad. :flower3:

I'm going to cook my pot-roast today. I have to cook two because I couldn't find a nice big one. Hopefully I'll have enough to have that for dinner.

Nan - I've been thinking of Marisa all day, hoping and praying she has gotten some relief.:hug:

Vicki - Thank God you're OK, sorry about the accident.:hug:

Aimee - "Maintaining his organs longterm is just not an issue right now. Keeping his quality of life up is." I can't tell you how long and hard I fought this fight for my Daddy, makes me so darn mad.:headache:

Sheryl - Are you sure you're OK? Please take it easy. Heck no, no plans, nothing booked yet, still all in my head.;)

Great job Caili!!!:goodvibes

Bethany, hope your feeling better today.

Sheryl, be careful please.

Vickie, so glad your not hurt.....When I go several nights without sleeping I really get nervous about driving....

Nan, looking for a Marisa update. I hope her pain reduced. I wish she stayed with you a few more days.:hug:

Marilyn, Holy Cow!!! You have so many projects this weekend.

Aimee, prayers for your Grand Daddy...:hug:

Marilyn -- Wow, you are going to be one busy woman. Good luck getting everything done. I would love to see your quilts when they are finished.

Robin -- Enjoy your time with your daughter and husband! If you don't get back here, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. If you figure out any good Santa ideas for your daughter, let me know. Caili just said she wants to be surprised. :confused3

Sheryl -- I'm sorry you are still sore. I know you have a lot to get done, but please don't overdo it!

Aimee -- I hope your granddad gets to go home soon. I'm sure he is more than ready to get out of the hospital.

Nancy -- I hope Marisa is doing okay now.

Vickie -- I'm so glad you weren't hurt! Take it easy, though, you might be a little sore later.

I have to go get the kids from the bus. Dinner for me is pan-seared scallops and sole with a beurre blanc sauce served over arugula. I have some cheese and other things left from the cheese plate I made last weekend, so I am going to let the kids have that. They love cheese plate suppers.

Thanks for all the congrats for Caili too! I am sure she is going to be in a good mood when she gets off the bus. She had to go to school in her skating outfit, so I am sure she got a lot of attention there.

Congrats to Caili!

Nancy - I hope Marisa starts feeling better soon. And I hope she got relief for her pain when she went to the Dr.

Sheryl - I hope you are okay after that fall. Try not to do too much over the next day or so and make anything worse.

Marilyn - you do have a busy week planned. We'll do christmas decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I may try to get the tree up since we are having dinner at my place for thankgiving. I'll leave that idea in my daughter's hands and it will get done. ;) She's the decorator in my house.

Aimee - that makes me just want to smack someone hard. I don't understand why doctors, etc. in these situations don't listen to family when it comes to a patient's health. :sad2: :mad:

I really don't like christmas shopping. I never can figure out what to get for anyone. If I don't get suggestions from people, I'm lost.

Dinner tonight will be chicken, potatoes and broccoli. Dessert is peanut butter cup cake or pie, don't remember that detail.

I need to focus myself to get the house cleaned up this weekend. I haven't dusted in forever and we need to rework some furniture. We are now up to about 16 people so we'll need to set up another table. I'm also starting to wonder if one turkey is enough, so my menu may be changing again.

I really don't like christmas shopping. I never can figure out what to get for anyone. If I don't get suggestions from people, I'm lost.

We are now up to about 16 people so we'll need to set up another table. I'm also starting to wonder if one turkey is enough, so my menu may be changing again.

I am not fond of shopping any more either. I have cut way back and may do so again this year. I tend to buy things during the year and don't wait for the Holidays so if I had my way I would only buy for the little ones. That I like :thumbsup2

We must be thinking alike. I think Marisa counted 18 last night so I think I may buy two turkeys. I used to have ham and turkey but now I only have the turkey.

Thanks for all the congrats for Caili too! I am sure she is going to be in a good mood when she gets off the bus. She had to go to school in her skating outfit, so I am sure she got a lot of attention there.

:cloud9: I would love to see pics!

Well, the painting is done, but the projects continue! Alan's sister is giving away a large screen tv, and Alan spoke up for it. So, he'll be picking that up today, which means we have to totally rearrange our seating area in the family room to accommodate the tv. I'm excited about it, though, as the old one was giving out. One less thing to buy this holiday season!

You are having some wicked good luck! Have a fun morning bowling and shopping!

Bethany/Sheryl - The NY trip started when my co-worker and I talked about going since neither of us have been there. Now she's backing out so I need a travel companion. I'm just dying to do a long weekend!

Well I hope that you decide to head our way. When were you looking at?

The car can be replaced, you cannot :hug: I do hope tha tyou can get some sleep my friend.

Holy Smokes Woman! Where do you get your energy? I am exhausted just reading what you are going to get done this weekend

Regarding Granddaddy. He's had diabetes for over 50 years and mainly stays between 200-300. The chart the hospital uses says that is too high and wants him close to 100. Anytime he gets close to 100 he drops and passes out. My uncle has told them that he just runs high and always has but they won't listen :confused3 They are trying to give him too much insulin to get him down and this is what happens. So at this point, they aren't keeping him for his heart but now for the bloodsugar. If they'd let him go home, he would maintain it just fine. And yes, we all know running that high could damage some of his organs but passing out everyday does worst damage and besides, he's 85! Maintaining his organs longterm is just not an issue right now. Keeping his quality of life up is.
Where to begin? My sister works in a hospital and after we had more than one "discussion" with staff regarding my Aunts medications she told me that she had newfound respect for family when they told her that they "knew" their loved one. Sometimes family does know best.

Aimee- if your uncle can be assertive then he needs to make this the hill that he dies on. Gail camped out in the ER with my Aunt and refused to leave until the nursing home that my Aunt was in agreed to change her medication. They did not want to give her Ativan, they liked some anti-psychotic drug that was making her crazy. I mean she was terrified of us, refused to eat adn would not take any medication because she was positive it was poison. Yup, this was better than Ativan :confused3

If you know that this is why your Grandaddy is so sick have your Uncle advocate for him. It is possible to make them listen, they just need to know that you all are serious. Prayers going your way.

The kiddo is off from school all next week and my husband has vacation time to use up so he'll be home all week too. I'm sure I'll be around here off and on, but just in case, hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

Tacos for dinner tonight.

I hope that you all have a great week!

Hey Y'all,

I'm doing okay today just aching a bit. I don't have time to feel bad too much to get done. It makes me mad that such a little thing makes me hurt. I didn't even actually fall down, just straining to keep from hitting the floor hurt, mad:. Thanks for the concern but y'all don't worry, I'll be fine by tomorrow I'm sure!

I hope that you feel better today. Please take it easy!

Marisa made it to the Dr this morning and said that everything looks good. SHe said that the poking and prodding really hurt a lot. When she called she was exhausted. I think that she will be fine at home today and tomorrow, Jeff is home and there is a bathroom downstairs. I do wish she was here, I am somewhat a control freak and feel like I have to take care of her but I know that is my thing. I cannot help it but they are used to me. Buddy is worse, he thinks if I don't something will go wrong.

Dinner is leftovers. I don;t feel like cooking.

Marilyn - you do have a busy week planned. We'll do christmas decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I may try to get the tree up since we are having dinner at my place for thankgiving. I'll leave that idea in my daughter's hands and it will get done. ;) She's the decorator in my house.

Usually I don't get them done this early, even though I say I want to. :sad2: But we are having TG at our house this year and I decided I wanted to get the yard done for it. We can't put the tree up yet, not enough room, but we should probably have it up next weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter