The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

:wave:

Saturday night and all's well.

Today, I spent time in the kitchen. I kinda remember that room. ;)

I made a batch of bolognaise sauce and froze it up. That takes care of 2 night's dinner for the next fortnight.
Also made a batch of curry puffs. I'm having it for lunch tomorrow.
Then dinner tonight was/is that chicken, chinese sausage, mushroom and sweet potato rice dish that I cook in the rice cooker. DS and I love it; plus we have leftover for DS' lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow? I'm heading to a raptor bird photography event. I would say I'm heading to a bird shoot but that could be interpreted in a different way. :rotfl:
It'll take me 2 hours to get there (and 2 hours to come home). Hopefully, I'll end up with semi-decent shots. We'll see.

Have a great day all.

PIO have a great time and enjoy!

Dinner last night was pizza
and tonight is a sweet potato and chick pea burger!

Have a great day everyone.

....good morning ladies....:wave:

[....pssst, check out my post count...]

...and THANKS, Alison, for the heads-up on that soup! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Hello folks!

Last night I tried a new recipe. A while back Fran bought me a bunch of sausages and while I love my Moroccan Cous Cous recipe, it is labor intensive and takes at least and hour of cooking and that doesn't count prep time. So I've been looking for other ways to use the Merguez sausage.

This particular recipe came from Blue Apron. I've never used this service as far as ordering food, but I was astonished at how simplistic the directions on the website were. When I get new recipes, I copy and paste the text into MS Word and then format it in a standard that I use for all my recipes to make it fit on one page (if possible). I couldn't believe how many inane instructions that I deleted. Things like "after you sauté the Aromatics, remove them to a bowl." OK that was fine, but why do they need to say, "Wipe pan out, and then cook the sausages using the same pan."????? Don't you want to retain the flavor of those vegetables when you cook the sausages?

There were other things that were also silly to me, like did you really need to tell someone that? I suppose that it would be good to get everything in a box, but I had most everything (the staples) and just needed to buy the fresh stuff.

It was lentils (boiled until cooked and then drained), sautéed diced cartots, red onions and garlic, and cook the sausages. Then combine the lentils and veggies in the pan. The recipe called for two tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar and salt and pepper to taste, but I took it a little further and added some ground cumin and diced tomatoes. Once it was on the plate you sprinkled it with chopped mint and crumbled Feta. Then put the sausages (sliced at an angle) on top. It was pretty good and Fran said we could have it again, but we agreed that we need three total sausages because two wasn't enough.

When I posted the other day that we were having Tuna Melts, it turned out I was too full for the sandwiches so we just had the Caprese Salad. So tonight I'm planning for the Tuna Melts. I may just get a bag of chips at the store or even better, potato salad! Maybe a cucumber salad, and I can add some of the leftover Feta to the salad!

Alison and Fran, that looks very yummy. I have not looked at blue apron for recipes. but I love my lentils.

Alison and Fran, that looks very yummy. I have not looked at blue apron for recipes. but I love my lentils.

Yeah, I realized that they are very good for the blood sugar and I'm googling recipes for them now, like Chicken and Lentils, etc...I didn't specifically look for Blue Apron, but you can understand that Merguez is a really specific ingredient and I was clicking on anything that sounded half decent.

Well we did not have dinner last night, we were too full from lunch so tonight will be chickpea curry.

I'm a I glad that this lifestyle works for you and David. There's just so many ingredients in there that I don't like that I would not enjoy it, but that's awesome it works for you two! :thumbsup2
That is the hardest part, finding something that works for both of us. He is still a meat eater and I do occasionally, but I don't really crave it, but every once in awhile I have to have a burger with cheese on it.

I used a green zucchini instead of summer squash (yellow) just for some color change.
....I picked 2 zucchinis from our garden and grilled them, along with boneless chicken breasts and skirt steak. [I also picked cukes, to put into the summer salad]....dinner was dee-LISH!

Last edited:
Sounds good.

I did not eat dinner last night, I was just too full from Lunch, David had a brisket sandwich

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter