The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Leche Flan - was for dessert a friend made it for us.
10 egg yolks
1 can condensed milk (14 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (10 oz)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater
Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly
Pour-in the evaporated milk and Vanilla. Mix well
Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire
Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. Note: Sometimes it is hard to find a Llanera (Traditional flan mold) depending on your location. I find it more convenient to use individual Round Pans in making leche flan.
Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold
Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold
Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil
Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate

Leche Flan - was for dessert a friend made it for us.
10 egg yolks
1 can condensed milk (14 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (10 oz)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater
Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly
Pour-in the evaporated milk and Vanilla. Mix well
Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire
Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. Note: Sometimes it is hard to find a Llanera (Traditional flan mold) depending on your location. I find it more convenient to use individual Round Pans in making leche flan.
Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold
Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold
Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil
Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes.
After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate

I am planning to try this over the weekend. I hope that nothing huge comes up to spoil my plans! LOL!

Dinner on Monday was popcorn at teh Lion King. Tuesday night was grilled chicken and pork cutlets, corn on the cob, mac salad, and sliced cucumbers and tomatoes. All native veggies! WE had leftovers last night with the best sweet corn I have ever had. We have a local farmer who has all non GMO produce, and while I cannot pretend to know the difference in everything we buy there, the corn does stand out.

WE have 'Ohana meals because our family is just so tangled! Included in our 'Ohana, which means any meal, holiday, special occasion, and always on Nana's souvenier and present list is Welty and the girls, her friend and her girls, and her DBIL and his daughter. This week Tommy and Lily showed up and Tom always stops at the farm for either locally made ice cream or pies (The pies are awful) and fresh produce. WElby had to buy a bigger dining set to fit everyone in her little kitchen, and is searching for another outdoor set for under the canopies in the back yard. Mine is big enough but I am usually cooking in the Fall and WInter months, but abdicate in Summer because I can burn a hot dog on that grill in 2 minutes flat.

It looks like we all are home this weekend so I imagine there will be a lot of food to be made for the crew. I plan to make the flan, buts does anyoen have any ideas for another summer dessert? We have been making fruit salads or just bowls of cut watermelon, and I have made cherry angel cake and brownies. I was thinking maybe that summer ice cream sandwich cake that Glynis used to make. Can I use fresh whipped cream instead of cool whip? The girls love whipped cream and would bathe in it given the chance.

Nancy, this all sounds wonderful!

As for the Flan it is wonderful and dense and sweet and everything...

As for summer dessert, I must say that David and I make waffles let them get cold, and put frozen fruit and whipped cream on it.

We are (rather last minute) planning a November trip to WDW. 2 adults, 3 teens, 1 tween. For the first time, we have park hopper tickets so going to different parks to eat is a new option that we have not had in the past. We will do one day in each park with a 5th day open to visit a park a second time. We have free dining and I am trying to make reservations. None of the table service restaurants at MK were good enough that we really want to return. I am wondering if leaving MK to go over to Epcot for a late lunch, then returning to MK would be worth the time?
Nancy, this all sounds wonderful!

As for the Flan it is wonderful and dense and sweet and everything...

As for summer dessert, I must say that David and I make waffles let them get cold, and put frozen fruit and whipped cream on it.
I did not get a picture of the flan but holy delicious!!!!! I followed the recipe exactly, popped it in a 7 inch fat daddy pan and steamed it in my instant pot for 25 minutes, and then quick release . It was so good. Denser than a conventional flan I think, but so good! I think I took the caramel a bit too far because there was a layer of hardened caramel on the bottom of the pan but good anyway!

You ladies are very ambitious! We have been cooking easy meals. Night before last I made my Balsamic Chicken which is just chicken thighs sprinkled with S&P, and garlic powder, and then drizzled with light olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar. Baked at 375 for about 45 mins to an hour. I served it with sauteed spinach and packaged chicken flavored noodles. I'm too lazy to make something healthy.

Tonight we went out with friends for mexican, tomorrow we go out with the same friends at an Oceanside eatery. Monday we will be at Disney and catch a quick meal at a bar eatery before we watch the MSEP. I'll be happy to make something back at home Tuesday night. We don't have band because we played our Summer concert last Wednesday at the Motion Picture and Television Retirement Home, so we get the next Tuesday off. I'm tired.

You ladies are very ambitious! We have been cooking easy meals. Night before last I made my Balsamic Chicken which is just chicken thighs sprinkled with S&P, and garlic powder, and then drizzled with light olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar. Baked at 375 for about 45 mins to an hour. I served it with sauteed spinach and packaged chicken flavored noodles. I'm too lazy to make something healthy.

Tonight we went out with friends for mexican, tomorrow we go out with the same friends at an Oceanside eatery. Monday we will be at Disney and catch a quick meal at a bar eatery before we watch the MSEP. I'll be happy to make something back at home Tuesday night. We don't have band because we played our Summer concert last Wednesday at the Motion Picture and Television Retirement Home, so we get the next Tuesday off. I'm tired.

Oh my gosh, not at all ambitious! The grill is my friend, and when I say it is my friend, what I mean is it is Welby or Rob's friend! I manage to burn anything on the grill so either Welby or Rob tosses food on the grill and they have that thing going at all hours. Buddy has been known to take a walk down at midnight knowing Rob has the fire going and will fire up the grill for a few burgers as a midnight snack.

Today was a girls day and all of the girls were at Welbys for a tie dye day. by the time they were done, and all the mess was cleaned up, snacks served and beverages poured, dinner was not even a thought until about 8 PM. We just marinated pork chops in a Hawaiian marinade, and had melon with them. Ice cream sandwich cake and flan for dessert. Eat peasy!

I did not get a picture of the flan but holy delicious!!!!! I followed the recipe exactly, popped it in a 7 inch fat daddy pan and steamed it in my instant pot for 25 minutes, and then quick release . It was so good. Denser than a conventional flan I think, but so good! I think I took the caramel a bit too far because there was a layer of hardened caramel on the bottom of the pan but good anyway!
Oh... so happy it worked for you. So.e I have had are made with whole eggs and they are lighter but not as creamy the yolks only makes it so smooth.

For someone that tired you are sure busy.... it was a year ago that we were in CA having dinner with you and Fran.

I love Summer food! We end up with a lot of impromptu meals when friends all gather, especially on weekends. My friend Welby's yard is the Summer spot and we have pooled our resources to make it a neighborhood haven. This SUnday we would up there but ended up ordering a pizza, so when one of my 'Ohana showed up with my favorite sweet corn and Prime burgers we put that on hold til Monday. I ended up ar Donny and Anna's after work to walk my precious new babies so DOnny could take a nap and Anna could get a few things done, so dinner was packed and waiting for me when I got home. There was summer squash and some kind of scalloped potato thing as well. YUM!

Tonight there is an I Love Lucy colorized movie at the theater so I might be able to drag Buddy to see it. Nola and Rylee have said they want to come too, so YAY! IF so, dinner will be in the run or whatever is in the fridge before we go.

I have got to figure out some make ahead food for Donny and Anna. Anna is wicked picky so that is pretty hard, but those two need some meals in the fridge fo a while. Little Noah is feeling better, but he stilll has rough nights, and when Reinie joins in.....I have suggested that thye join one of those prepackaged meal clubs and get one that is for 4 people. Donny likes to cook and is happy in the kitchen, so it may be the break he needs, and there will be leftovers for another meal. They both have said that these two babies are the best diet they have ever been on! LOL! No time for snacking when life is filled with babies, baby bottles, baby laundry, baby snuggling and baby juggling! LOL!

OK so now what?

You're gonna be a grandma?

Kind of. My DS and DDIL are in the foster to adopt program and about 3 or 4 hours after they were licensed they got a call to pick up a set of three day old twins at the hospital. Crazy ,right? They are exhausted! They were not prepared, and so they scrambled to get what they needed, and since they were really premature, my sister brought in her friend who is a NICU nurse to go over what hey had and be sure that the babies were cared for properly given their development. SO far my very brilliant son and DDIL have refused to let these children out of their sight for two minutes, that means they are taking turns watching them all night. UGH! No wonder they are so tired. Anyway, Mom is fighting the removal of the children and has requested a trial after having had 2 judges refuse to reverse DCF involvement. She has 6, and has custody of none. It is so sad really, and Donny and Anna have fallen in love with the children, as have we all. I have no idea how it will turn out for everyone, but I do know that their home is a good one for these two beautiful babies. Buddy is worried about our hearts, and I get that, but I had to tell him to guard his in any way he felt necessary, and I would take my chances with my own. Too late really, these two have it in their little hands.

My youngest DS [Dylan] is a CM at Disney Springs [he recently finished up his DCP at the BC/YC]. He and my DH planned an early birthday [it's really 9/9] surprise. Tomorrow night I'll be flying to meet my DS at Art of Animation (1 night only). Wednesday morning he made reservations for breakfast at Boma and we'll be checking into the GRAN DESTINO TOWERS....hoo boy, I am soooo excited! He also planned afternoon tea at GF, the 1st MNSSHP for 2019, and we are previewing Star Wars:Galaxy's Edge....seriously, do I have the BEST family or what??

Last edited:
Kind of. My DS and DDIL are in the foster to adopt program and about 3 or 4 hours after they were licensed they got a call to pick up a set of three day old twins at the hospital. Crazy ,right? They are exhausted! They were not prepared, and so they scrambled to get what they needed, and since they were really premature, my sister brought in her friend who is a NICU nurse to go over what hey had and be sure that the babies were cared for properly given their development. SO far my very brilliant son and DDIL have refused to let these children out of their sight for two minutes, that means they are taking turns watching them all night. UGH! No wonder they are so tired. Anyway, Mom is fighting the removal of the children and has requested a trial after having had 2 judges refuse to reverse DCF involvement. She has 6, and has custody of none. It is so sad really, and Donny and Anna have fallen in love with the children, as have we all. I have no idea how it will turn out for everyone, but I do know that their home is a good one for these two beautiful babies. Buddy is worried about our hearts, and I get that, but I had to tell him to guard his in any way he felt necessary, and I would take my chances with my own. Too late really, these two have it in their little hands.
...how amazingly AWESOME! CONGRATS!!!

My youngest DS [Dylan] is a CM at Disney Springs [he recently finished up his DCP at the BC/YC]. He and my DH planned an early birthday [it's really 9/9] surprise. Tomorrow night I'll be flying to meet my DS at Art of Animation (1 night only). Wednesday morning he made reservations for breakfast at Boma and we'll be checking into the GRAN DESTINO TOWERS....hoo boy, I am soooo excited! He also planned afternoon tea at GF, the 1st MNSSHP for 2019, and we are previewing Star Wars:Galaxy's Edge....seriously, do I have the BEST family or what??
Omg! OMG!

What an amazing surprise!!!!!

I’m jealous a little and wish you a great rime!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter