• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

Aimee- When does restaurant week end? What restaurant did you end up going to? Maybe I can drag my wife out of the house.

I think last night was the last of the extended ones. The actual 'week' was earlier in August but we didn't have time to go then. some of the restaurants do 2-3 weeks of it. We ate at Grace - it's downtown Fort Worth. Amazing! I've been for drinks a few times and they have a very nice bar/lounge area. KRLD hosts it every year so I look mid-July for the listing online.

Those potstickers look good! I love those... yum!

Boston does Restaurant Week. Some people love it for the deals, but a lot of people hate it for the crowds and the fact that many of the restaurants don't offer items off their usual menu during Restaurant Week. There is research involved to find out which places are a good choice. I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner!

Yeah, we go look at the Rest. Week menu's before settling. I mean, I don't want to go someplace fancy and eat a piece of chicken! I want to eat the good stuff! All the ones we've been to had a full menu available in addition to the R.W. menu option.

We had reservations but the restaurant filled pretty quick - lots of LSU fans in town for the big game.

The movie was sold out when we got there so I did some shopping with my mom this afternoon. Got home late so I just picked up tacos for us.

Hoping everyone in the NOLA area is safe and dry. I haven't heard any news at all....:guilty:

I did get a picture of the pickled mustard for y'all.

2011September04TomYumNoodles019.jpg

Last night's dinner; with that salted duck's egg on top of rice porridge.

2011September04TomYumNoodles028.jpg

Becky - Hope your salted eggs turn out fine.

It's Sunday night here and I really should be putting the boy to bed! Instead, I'm checking out my favourite threads on the Dis and working on what I had for dinner tonight...which will follow.

Tom Yum Noodles

My starting ingredients:

2011September04TomYumNoodles029.jpg

• Noodles, about 150 g
  • Tom Yum paste, about 2 heaped tablespoons mixed with a little water. (I’m going to use more next time I cook it as DS did not complain about the spice tonight.)
  • Onion, 1 sliced vertically
  • Ginger, 2 slices – julienned
  • Garlic, 1 clove – minced
  • Coriander, leaves and root (finely diced)
  • Bean Curd Puffs, 6 thinly sliced
  • Bean shoots
  • Shrimp – raw (about 300g) and cooked (about 200g)
  • Oil, 2 tablespoons

I’ve used (mung) bean thread vermicelli today. But you can use rice vermicelli or flat rice noodles like that used for Pad Thai.

2011September04TomYumNoodles042.jpg

Soak the noodles in hot water for at least 30 minutes to reconstitute. Drain well.

2011September04TomYumNoodles031.jpg

Mix the tom yum paste with the noodles. You don’t have to do this and can choose to add the paste to the ingredients as you’re cooking but I find that this way, I get a more even coating of the paste over the noodles and the other ingredients.

2011September04TomYumNoodles034.jpg

Heat the oil in a moderately hot wok and add the onions, coriander root, garlic and ginger. Toss quickly.

2011September04TomYumNoodles035.jpg

When fragrant, add the raw shrimp. Fry until the shrimp turn an even colour but do not overcook.

2011September04TomYumNoodles036.jpg

Add the cooked shrimp and bean curd puffs. Toss for a couple of minutes.
NOTE: You can choose to add a little water or stock at this stage.

2011September04TomYumNoodles037.jpg

Add the bean shoots and toss for another minute.

2011September04TomYumNoodles039.jpg

Add the noodles to the wok and mix thoroughly. Cook for another 3 – 4 minutes, making sure you turn the ingredients around so that it doesn’t stick to the wok and also to cook everything evenly.

2011September04TomYumNoodles040.jpg

Transfer to a serving bowl…

2011September04TomYumNoodles041.jpg

..and decorate with the coriander leaves.

2011September04TomYumNoodles043.jpg

My dinner!

2011September04TomYumNoodles044.jpg

princess::upsidedow

Good morning y'all!

We're still getting a lot of rain and it's not expected to let up until tomorrow evening. Other than that, we're good, thank God!:goodvibes

WFD - Seafood gumbo and potato salad.

Started to say "morning all" then i realized it isn't. Have just been relaxing and reading this morning.

Glad to hear that other than being a "tad" waterlogged our NOLA ladies are okay.

Had a yardsale yesterday at my aunts house that ended in a huge rumble of thunder and a sudden downpour! Thankfully I had just gotten two tv's we had loaded in my van before the rain started. We were scrambling to get things out of the rain. The strange thing is that where we were having the yardsale wasn't under any kind of warnings but at our house, which was, got nothing.

Also had a really scary thing happen. My aunts dog had taken off for the park across the street and my cousin had just gone over to bring her home when a hawk swooped down and tried to grab her. :scared1: Thankfully my cousin was right there and was able to snatch her up. They usually leave her out in the yard for long period, sometimes when they are gone, because she loves being outside.

Marilyn I am going guess your Aunt's dog is really small. Poor thing I am glad she is ok.

I joke with Minnie to be careful because of the coyotes by me. So far they have not been that hungry yet to tangle with the Minster.

WFD is pork tenderloin leftover mashed potatoes with broccoli. Dessert is a snickerdoodle cake.

If it turns out pretty I'll take a picture. Which means I need to clean of my dining room table:rolleyes1

I think last night was the last of the extended ones. The actual 'week' was earlier in August but we didn't have time to go then. some of the restaurants do 2-3 weeks of it. We ate at Grace - it's downtown Fort Worth. Amazing! I've been for drinks a few times and they have a very nice bar/lounge area. KRLD hosts it every year so I look mid-July for the listing online.

Those potstickers look good! I love those... yum!

We'll have to pay attention for next year's! I went and looked at the website with the restaurants! Wish I would have known about it earlier!

Also had a really scary thing happen. My aunts dog had taken off for the park across the street and my cousin had just gone over to bring her home when a hawk swooped down and tried to grab her. :scared1: Thankfully my cousin was right there and was able to snatch her up. They usually leave her out in the yard for long period, sometimes when they are gone, because she loves being outside.

:scared1:

I saw that on a movie once. I didn't realize it could happen in real life! Glad the pooch is okay!

Marilyn I am going guess your Aunt's dog is really small. Poor thing I am glad she is ok.

I joke with Minnie to be careful because of the coyotes by me. So far they have not been that hungry yet to tangle with the Minster.

WFD is pork tenderloin leftover mashed potatoes with broccoli. Dessert is a snickerdoodle cake.

If it turns out pretty I'll take a picture. Which means I need to clean of my dining room table:rolleyes1

I would like the snickerdoodle cake recipe please! :goodvibes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, Aimee. That's it. We have decided that next time we come up to your neck of the woods we're taking you out to dinner.

Today I have made the donut muffins and the cashew chicken. Our bellies are full and happy. UncleR says to tell you that she's invested in corn starch for all of those asian recipes you do. She's afraid we'll run out. :lmao:

Today has been a cooking day and a relaxing day. And I'm so glad I still have tomorrow off! We'll go out on our lunch date tomorrow.

Hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend! :hug:

Snickerdoodle cake

FOR THE CAKE:
1-½ cup All-purpose Flour
1-½ cup Cake Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Salt
1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
2 sticks Butter, Softened To Room Temperature
1-¾ cup Fine Granulated Sugar
4 whole Large Eggs, Room Temperature
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1-¼ cup Whole Milk, Warmed To Room Temperature
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
4-½ sticks Butter, Softened To Room Temperature
1 cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
8 cups To 9 Cups Confectioner's Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ cups Half-and-half

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Butter and flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in colour. Beat in the eggs one at a time, fully incorporating each egg and scraping down the bowl between each addition. Then add the vanilla. Next, add about 1/3 of the milk, beat to incorporate, then add 1/3 of the flour, again beating to incorporate. Repeat this process, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until all of the milk and flour are added and mixed in evenly.

Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake in the preheated oven, rotating midway through, for about 35 minutes or until the cake tests done.

Let the cakes cool in the pans on a rack for 5 minutes before turning them out onto the racks to finish cooling.

To make the buttercream:
Beat together the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until fluffy and pale in colour. Add 6 cups of the confectioner’s sugar and the vanilla extract and beat, starting on low and moving up to high, until it is fully incorporated. Scrape down the bowl and add the half and half. Beat to incorporate again. Add another 2 cups of the confectioner’s sugar and beat, starting on low and moving up to high, until fully incorporated.

Check the consistency of the buttercream. If it needs to be thicker, add the remaining confectioner’s sugar. If it is too thick, add more half and half a teaspoon at a time, beating after each addition, until it reaches the consistency you like.

To assemble and frost the cake:
Level out your cooled cakes (cut a sliver of the round top off so that the top is level) and then cut each cake, horizontally, into two even layers (so you’ll have 4 layers total).

Place one layer on a cake plate then add a layer of buttercream, spreading to the edges and evening out as you go. Repeat the process as you add the remaining layers.

Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining buttercream.

If desired, garnish the top of the cake with whole cinnamon sticks.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before slicing.

Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator.

She's a miniature dachsund-yorkie mix, about the size of a really big rabbit. Not sure if the bird would have gotten off the ground with her or not but it sure swooped in to try.

Dinner tonight was crab legs and baked potatoes.

Good morning y'all!

We're still getting a lot of rain and it's not expected to let up until tomorrow evening. Other than that, we're good, thank God!:goodvibes

WFD - Seafood gumbo and potato salad.

Glad y'all are still okay! wish we could get some of that rain. These wildfires are so awful right now.

:eek:

Today I have made the donut muffins and the cashew chicken. Our bellies are full and happy. UncleR says to tell you that she's invested in corn starch for all of those asian recipes you do. She's afraid we'll run out. :lmao:

:laughing: I'm glad they both turned out!

YUM! That looks delicious.

We were out late this afternoon so we picked up Schlotskys....

Checkin in on my NOLA friends. I hope the worst is behind you. Your rain is heading in our direction but I hope much less than what you all endured

Marilyn- poor poor lucky puppy!

Princess- I am always in awe of your food!

Janice- yummy cake! Thank you for the recipe!

Laura- I would not mind having your family feed me :goodvibes

Yesterday was busy! We attended a Christening and lunch after. It was a basic cook out pot luck meal and I loved every bite! From there we went to Nola's 3rd birthday party. Welby kept is simple so that the kids could have fun and they did! Pizza, cupcakes and snacks. i am embarrassed to admit that I ate cupcakes for dinner. I was starving by 9:30 PM so I had toast and peanut butter. Totally off my diet and I paid for it.....tummy aches all night along with a headache. So good though!!!!!!

I am not sure what is for dinner today. I have plenty to choose from, steak or chicken, hotdogs and burgers????? We'll see who is around and what they all want.

Donny and Anna are down to the wire here. Her parents are arriving Tuesday night and we are meeting for dinner on Friday. i was going to host them but when Donny suggested dinner out I jumped at that. I still fell a little guilty that I am not cooking but I understand that Lucy loves Italian and I am not that proficient in this cuisine.

Wednesday Anna and her Mom are joining us at the B&B where we are hosting the rehearsal dinner. The innkeeper said we may need to rethink our menu because I think we are at 38 to 40 people. How did that happen???????

I am also opening my home the Monday following the wedding if Ann's family is not sightseeing. I do not want Anna and Donny to worry about entertaining so I need to get my house up to speed. I am taking a page from Welby's book and just going with pizza. What do you ladies think? Tacky for this? I think I will be flat out finished by then and am afraid that if I start cooking I will make us nuts. Not to mention that my bill is skyrocketing and I don't want to push it too far.

We were out late this afternoon so we picked up Schlotskys....

We didn't have those where I'm from. I can eat those sandwiches every day. :lmao:

I am also opening my home the Monday following the wedding if Ann's family is not sightseeing. I do not want Anna and Donny to worry about entertaining so I need to get my house up to speed. I am taking a page from Welby's book and just going with pizza. What do you ladies think? Tacky for this? I think I will be flat out finished by then and am afraid that if I start cooking I will make us nuts. Not to mention that my bill is skyrocketing and I don't want to push it too far.

Not tacky at all. And in fact, very nice that you're opening your home to them. By then, everyone will probably be exhausted (including you) and think how nice it will be to just relax with some easy food!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is 68 degrees outside. Everyone dance with me! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

We had a cold front come through and it's only supposed to be in the 80's today. :lovestruc

What a perfect day for our lunch date today.

Tonight's dinner is the tilapia piccata/veracruz-style tilapia that I posted about a while back.

Hope everyone has a great Monday/Labor Day! :hug:

Nancy I think pizza is fine that or pre-made sandwiches from a local shop. Keep it simple.

I got up early and tackled the junk I have been storing in my closet. Do you save old purses? I did, why? I am in a purging mood, so I am rummaging through old junk and getting rid of it before the mood passes.:thumbsup2

Tonight is the pork tenderloin that I didn't get to cook last night. Time got away from me yesterday.:confused3

Marilyn – That must have been a very scary moment with the swooping hawk. Thank God your cousin was able to save the poor little thing.:eek:

Janice – I was looking forward to a pic of your cake!;)

Nan – I can’t believe Nola is three already! I agree with the others that by the time Monday rolls around everyone will be ready for a relaxing night of pizza!

Jen – I’m so glad y’all have some cooler weather, enjoy!

WFD - Grilled chicken, burgers and veggies with baked beans.

Hey y'all,

We've had a very quiet lazy weekend. Thank goodness! Lots of rain, but we are fine. There was some flooding, but mostly in the low fishing communities. The rain has finally stopped, it's dreary but cooling off.

We had Jude & parents ;) here yesterday. Jude slept over last night & he was great. I made chili & we had hotdogs today.

Nancy, What a busy weekend! Can't believe that baby is 3 already! It's just too fast. Good luck with getting everything right for the rehearsal dinner!

Aimee, I wish we could have sent some of that rain over there. :sad1:

Princess, You keep surprising me with your ingredients! Bean curd puffs? Looks delicious!

:grouphug:

I'm glad all of you NOLA ladies made it through the storm okay. I will be happy to get that rain up here if it cools us off! Today was so hot and humid, I thought I was going to faint after running a couple of errands. My AC in the car is not working.

Dinner was with my parents. We had Cornell chicken, grilled squash and eggplant, green beans and crispy rosemary potatoes.

The kiddos start school tomorrow. You know that means my days of relaxation are over! We have two days of ballet, three days of skating, three days of fall baseball, and Caili is looking to add a yoga class.

My aunts dog had taken off for the park across the street and my cousin had just gone over to bring her home when a hawk swooped down and tried to grab her.

Yikes! We unfortunately witnessed a hawk catch a rabbit in my parents' yard. The hawk ate it until it was light enough to carry. :eek: I'm glad your aunt's dog is okay!

I am taking a page from Welby's book and just going with pizza. What do you ladies think?

I think pizza is fine. You should do something easy because after the whole weekend, people won't want you to be doing a lot of work.

If you could send some of that weather this way I would appreciate it! This New England girl is not used to 90 degree, super-humid weather in September.

Jude slept over last night & he was great.

Yay! Is he doing better?

Hi All! I was so glad to hear my Texas friends are having a cold spell! Finally!

Sheryl- How is Jude feeling lately?

We joined our friends on their boat today and then went and closed the sheds, it got very breezy! Dinner was easy but nice. I continued to stay off my diet and so I grilled burgers and dogs. Cucumber and onion salad, sliced tomatoes and chopped sweet onions and carmelized onions and peppers, which I forgot to serve :headache: and our friend Jeannie made a crab and pasta salad. Yummy!

I made the mayonnaise chocolate cake and fresh whipped cream. I am going to make sure I have some of that because I am back to dieting tomorrow.

From there we went to Nola's 3rd birthday party.

3? Already?! big girl!

We had a cold front come through and it's only supposed to be in the 80's today.

This weather is AMAZING!! Sadly, the cold front caused the wildfires to get even worse. Y'all aren't near the central TX ones, are you? Almost 500 homes burned there so far :sad1:

Tonight I went looking for something on hand to make - we're going to have soft tacos and mexican rice.

If you could send some of that weather this way I would appreciate it! This New England girl is not used to 90 degree, super-humid weather in September.

After 2 1/2 months of over 100 degree temps, we're keeping it! :lmao:

This weather is AMAZING!! Sadly, the cold front caused the wildfires to get even worse. Y'all aren't near the central TX ones, are you? Almost 500 homes burned there so far :sad1:

Austin is about 2 1/2 hours south of here, so no. But, I've been watching the news. Just awful. :guilty:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The weather was absolutely gorgeous here today. We only got into the mid 80's.

UncleR and I went on our date. We went to lunch at a restaurant on the lake and ate yummy food. Then, we went shopping.

We changed up dinner tonight. We decided we wanted ribs and potato salad to join in with all of the people BBQing today. The potato salad was delicious! We used the rotisserie for the ribs, and they weren't as good as my usual ribs, but were still really good.

Back to work tomorrow! The 3-day weekend was wonderful though.

Hope everyone has a good week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter