• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - March '11 (recipe index in OP)

Not read back, missed to much to catch up.

The Boy has started proper hard core trainin and it is takin up lots of our time.

I have heard about the crazy fires and truth told I canny get ma heid around them.
The area there have eatin up would probably take out all of ma wee country !!

I hope everyone stays safe...

Glad everyone in NOLA is safe!

Marilyn - Hope you and the doggie are okay!! That would be one heck of a scary experience.

Janice - I'm trying to lose weight. I'm sure I gained 5 lbs just LOOKING at the snickerdoodle cake!!

Aimee - Hope that the fires aren't anywhere near you.

Nancy - I hope you have wonderful weather in the lead-up to the wedding. Pizza sounds great to me. I would think that the family would appreciate keeping it simple as well?

Jen - It got to the low 60's in Melbourne at the weekend. Perfect spring day. We're back to barely 50 today! :sad2:

Sheryl - Bean curd puffs seem really like a common item to me. :laughing: But then...I was born in Asia.

Laura - sorry about the AC in your car. Will you be able to fix it?

Vickie - Welcome back!

Stay safe everyone.

princess::upsidedow

We never made it out of the 60's yesterday. In the late afternoon I gave up and closed the windows. I think my body still is thinking it is hot outside.

Laura I hope you car just needs to be recharged. You spend to much time running the kids here and there to be without AC

I woke up with a stuffy nose and a sore throat. I am praying it is just allergies. A was complaining about it this weekend. Yes I think the school year has begun.:rolleyes1

Laura - Your schedule with the kiddos is a daunting one, good luck girlfriend!

I can finally say our weather here is awesome too, it's in the 60's right now!:banana:

WFD - Roast beef po-boys & sweet potato fries.

Vickie - Good luck to the boy with his training.

Janice - My allergies have been acting up lately. Hopefully you're not getting sick.

Well my baby went to school today as a middle schooler! She's pretty excited so I hope she has a great day, can't imagine why she wouldn't.

Kathy- Glad your having good weather. It's in the 60's here too, but it's raining. We really needed the water though.

Janice- Hoping it's just allergies, feel better.

Princess- Your noodle dish looked awsome, I've seen Tom yum on the thai menu, but had no idea what it was. I'm going look for the paste, definatly looks like something I could handle making.

Laura- My kiddo wants to do a yoga class also, there seems to be every kind of yoga but for kids. Hope the kids have a great first day.

Off to the grocery store alone, one of my favorite things to do on the first day of school! Not sure on dinner, probably chicken. Have a great day all!

HI everyone - I'm back and rarring to go. It was so nice to get away for a few days. You don't realize how much you need a break until you do it.

Ok first things first -

"IT'S A BOY"​
Jay, Elizabeth and Ethan (they surprised him and took him out of school, so he could also go) found out on Wednesday. Everything looks great and right on track. Last preg. Elizabeth developed dangerous Pre Eclampsia (SP) so they are monitoring her very closely this time and so far all is great. We ordered the crib yesterday. Things are getting fun now.

Stephanie and Marty go in this Thursday for their actual first OB visit. I guess last time it was just a check up on her. They are so excited. The heart beat is strong and fast. I can't wait for them to have their first ultrasound. She is feeling great with no problems so for that we are all thrilled.

We had a great weekend with Matthew and of course the Huskers won their first game in the BIG 10. So all in all a wonderful time. Quiet day yesterday -we never left the house. And back to work today.

WFDT ~ grilled pork chops, green and yellow squash, sweet potatoes and fresh strawberries with cream.

Ok all I really do need to get to work now. I will be back later and catch up with each of you. But I couldn't wait any longer to get in here and tell you my news.

Make it a great day my friends.

Hi everyone! Sorry I went MIA last weekend, but I got hit with a really bad sore throat, and I just stayed in bed most of the time. I slept, and slept! Bless Alan's heart, he took the kids off to do fun things so I could have a quiet house! I love that guy!!!

Ellen - Congrats on the boy!!! What fun!! Hope it continues to be an uneventful pregnancy!

Kat, Sheryl and the other NOLA gals - Glad that you didn't get hit as hard as it was thought! You have been in my prayers!

Nancy - I think pizza will be just fine! No one is going to be in the mood for a fancy meal, anyway!

Dinner tonight will be a chicken enchilada pasta. Sounded good to me, and no one else had any input other than cereal! So, I'm going with what I want!

Morning Y'all,

I agree with Kathy, the weather is awesome! I was bummed that Angelina forgot the stroller at home. I was so ready to take Jude out for a stroll! Although it will go away quickly & probably not return until November.

I'm sorry, I thought I had mentioned that Jude has been doing great! It was apparently stomach pain from constipation. The dr increased the laxative med he's on & has been much better since. Although he did learn how to really use his lungs & voice from that experience! :laughing:

Ellen, Yay!! :yay: Congratulations! Very happy for all of you. :banana:

Laura, I hope the humidity improves! It feels so good to have low humidity!

Robin, Hugs for you!:hug: I hope she has a fantastic day!:goodvibes

Janice, I hope you feel better!:wizard:

Jen, Our weather is going to just creep into the low 80's today!

I need to go figure out WFD before Jude wake's up from his nap.

We never made it out of the 60's yesterday. In the late afternoon I gave up and closed the windows. I think my body still is thinking it is hot outside.

It seems to have gone from Summer to late Fall in just a few short days. Chilly, nasty, rainy here today and lots of leaves on the ground already. :sad2:

Have not a clue for dinner tonight. Would really like a stew of some sort and a nice bread but too icky out to get something on the way home from work.

"IT'S A BOY"​

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Jen, Our weather is going to just creep into the low 80's today!

Isn't it wonderful???? :cloud9:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to work for me today. I need to win the lottery. :lmao:

Tonight's dinner was veracruz-style tilapia. It was yummy. :teeth:

Other than that, life is just truckin' along. :hug: for everyone. Tomorrow's already Wednesday! I love short work weeks!

"IT'S A BOY"​
Jay, Elizabeth and Ethan (they surprised him and took him out of school, so he could also go) found out on Wednesday.

Yay for sweet boys!! I'm so excited about your growing family :goodvibes

Crazy busy day - didn't even sit down at my desk until 430 this afternoon!

We had a Groupon for a local restaurant that was expiring this weekend so we went there tonight. Food was okay, atmosphere was great, service was slooooooooooooow.

Anyone know how to make bread and butter pickles? Instead of fried dill pickles, they lightly fried very thinly sliced bread and butter pickles and they were SO GOOD. I want to make them at home but the bread and butter at the store are all thick slices :confused3

Made these this weekend - finally! I've wanted to try them forever and finally bought popsicle molds. They are yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumy.

DSCN4947.JPG

Creamy Pistachio Pops
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
4 Earl Grey tea bags
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
Handful finely chopped pistachios, plus extra for garnish (obviously I didn't chop my garnished ones...)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring evaporated milk to a simmer until small bubbles form around the circumference of the pot. Meanwhile, snip the tops of the tea bags and add to the milk. Whisk in cardamom. Once the milk is simmering, turn the heat off, cover and let sit and steep for 30 minutes.

Strain the evaporated milk into a large bowl. Whisk in the condensed milk, heavy cream and pistachios. Either pour the mixture into ice pop molds, small bowls or a large bowl. Cover the bowls with a piece of plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn and the formation of a "skin". Pop them into the freezer and freeze overnight.

When you're ready to serve, run the ice pop mold under hot water to loosen it. Garnish with more nuts if you like and serve.

Aimee - those pops look good!!!

Sounds like everyone is busy! I'm trying to get my act together and make sure I post every day! When I don't, I feel all lost inside. I have figured out that I need the WFD thread and it's friendship to feel "normal" in my life. Sound too sappy??? Oh well, that's the way it is!

Today is walk to school Wednesday. However, I'm not sure we'll walk. Timothy got sick all over my bed last night, and I'm not sure he'll feel up to such a long walk. Got to run check on him. Hopefully, he's doing better.

Katie and I are having dinner at a "young woman and her mom" dinner at our church. Jacob will babysit the twins and Timothy tonight with a pizza. I'm spending the day making dessert type things to take tonight. I'll be making cake batter rice krispie treats (so yummy), peanut butter bars, and s'mores cookies. Should be nice and fattening!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Hello everyone! John and I spent Labor Day weekend on Cape Cod. it was very pretty but man is that water cold! I could not get in above my ankles. Plus we found a seal on the beach that had half of its head chomped off by a shark! :scared1: We had fun though and I made some yummy food that I will show in a bit.

Glynis, I hope Timonthy is feeling better today!

Ellen, congratulations on the baby news! How exciting!

Janice, my allergies have been bad lately too. I think my hayfever is starting up.

Nancy, I think pizza is fine for your open house. You could add a salad if you wanted to, but that's really not even necessary. Everyone likes pizza.

Princess, my camera is a Canon also. I alternate between manual and auto. I am still learning. I am curious why you use both cooked and raw shrimp in your tom yum? Is it a textural thing?

Aimee, I am sorry to hear about your account being hacked into. I had that happen to me about 4 years ago. I went to check on my account balance because we were leaving for vacation the next morning and had something like a -$3,000 balance! I FREAKED out!! And because it was my debit Visa card that was compromised, I had to cut up my existing card and get a replacement. Which of course meant that I had no access to my checking account for the entire vacation!! Luckily John and I keep seperate checking accounts. I did get all of the money credited back to me, but what a horrible feeling that was. I hope your situation is straightened out by now.

I hope all of the NOLA ladies made out OK with Lee!

Pictures in next post, this is getting long.

Anyone know how to make bread and butter pickles? Instead of fried dill pickles, they lightly fried very thinly sliced bread and butter pickles and they were SO GOOD. I want to make them at home but the bread and butter at the store are all thick slices :confused3

Aimee this is the one I use. I LOVE Bread & Butter pickles - my favorite!

Ellen's Bread & Butter Pickles

1 gallon cucumbers, sliced very thin
10 medium or 20 small onions sliced very thin
2 green peppers, sliced very thin - I sometimes leave these out
1/2 cup salt
6 cups of ice
5 cups vinegar
5 cups sugar
1/2 t tumeric
1/2 t ground cloves
2 T mustard seed
1 t celery seed

Place the thinly sliced cucumbers, onions and peppers (if used) in a large container (I use my food canner); sprinkle with salt; add ice and cover. Let stand 3 hours. Drain well. Add remaining ingredients. Place over low heat; deep turning pickles over until mixture reaches the scalding point. DO NOT BOIL. Bottle while hot in hot jars. Seal. Let stand 48 hours befor eating.
Yields 8 pints

Morning everyone.

Thanks for all of the baby wishes. We are getting excited!!

Nan ~ I am so sorry to hear about Otto. But he had so much love in his life. He was a lucky dog.
I think Pizza is PERFECT!! By that time everyone will be so ready for a comfort meal. Maybe a big loaded green salad and call it good.

Aimee ~ Jay and Ethan went Dove hunting this last weekend also. They bagged 9. This was Ethan's first outting and he said he had fun. :confused3
I am so sorry to hear about your account. That is so scary and so not right. But to that end I say - Every Dog has his day - they will not go unpunished.
I hope you like the Bread and Butter Pickles - they are my favorite.

Laura ~ Get your running shoes on Lady. I've been there done that but also I do know how you enjoy it. You just amaze me!!!

Becky ~ Your weekend on the Cape sounds as close to perfect as you can get. Good for you!!

Kat & Sheryl ~ I was so worried about you both and everyone down there. My prayers were with you. So glad everything wasn't so bad. PTL!!!

Janice ~ Hope you start feeling better. Elizabeth and Ethan's allergies are just horrible. Will be this way till the first freeze. Bless your heart.

Robin ~ :hug: She will be fine Momma and so will you. Enjoy these years because the go so fast. My hugs and good thoughts are with you.

Glynis ~ Sure hope Timothy feels better today. Have fun tonight - that sounds like so much fun.

Jen ~ Hope your week is going okay. Give your body some time to recoup. Take it easy lady.

Princess ~ I am loving your pictures. I have no idea what half of it is..... but I love it. ;)

:hug: to all I have missed.

We are in a cool snap at the moment. Fall really is in the air. Our highs this week are only in the mid 70's. It has felt nice since we have been so hot all summer.

All of our Church activities start up tonight. I will be glad to see all the kids and have the church a buzzing again.

WFDT ~ Date night starts back up tonight before choir. YEA!!!!

Make it a great day my friends.

GAH I had a huge post with lots of photos and the site timed out on me. I HATE that!! So, here is just one, with the recipe. I typed it all in Word this time so I would not lose it:

Mixed Berries Gratin (adapted from Ina Garten)

Four servings

2 pints mixed berries of your choice, rinsed and dried (I used Maine blueberries and local raspberries)
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
½ cup sweet marsala wine
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
Extra sugar for sprinkling the tops

Equipment needed:
4 individual gratin dishes
Medium pot
Heatproof bowl that can rest on the rim of the pot
Instant-read thermometer
Baking sheet

Place an oven rack on the highest level and pre-heat your broiler.

Distribute the berries evenly into the gratin dishes and place the dishes on a baking sheet.

Fill the pot about halfway with water and bring to a simmer. Test the level of the water by putting the heatproof bowl into the pot. You want the bowl to rest over the water. Do not allow the water to touch the bowl.

When the water is simmering, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in the heatproof bowl and place over the water. Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth, about 5 minutes.

While still whisking, add the marsala wine in a thin stream. Continue to whisk until the mixture is thickened and reads about 150 on an instant-read thermometer. This should take about 5 more minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Pour the cream over the berries in an even layer, and lightly sprinkle the tops of the gratins with sugar. Slide the gratins on their baking sheet under the broiler and cook until the sugar is bubbly and the edges of the gratins are browned. This will happen quickly, so keep a close eye on the gratins as they broil to prevent burning.

Serve immediately.

6123066215_fce512172a.jpg

Lordy are we getting it now. :scared1:It is just pouring rain out there and then we have occasional lightening and thunder. When we get that it is right here, loud and bright. At one point there were several of us out of our offices standing in the hallway.

I keep looking at the radar and it is moving in a straight line north right over us.

Sounds like everyone is busy! I'm trying to get my act together and make sure I post every day! When I don't, I feel all lost inside. I have figured out that I need the WFD thread and it's friendship to feel "normal" in my life. Sound too sappy??? Oh well, that's the way it is!

:hug: Not too sappy! Hope y'all enjoy your dinner date tonight, and that Timothy isn't sick!

Hello everyone! John and I spent Labor Day weekend on Cape Cod. it was very pretty but man is that water cold! I could not get in above my ankles. Plus we found a seal on the beach that had half of its head chomped off by a shark! :scared1: We had fun though and I made some yummy food that I will show in a bit.

:eek: I'm glad y'all had a great weekend! I've always wanted to go there. Sorry you had the debit card nightmare, too. They keep telling us we can use his card to access our checking account but we're so negative, I don't want to make it even worse!

Aimee this is the one I use. I LOVE Bread & Butter pickles - my favorite!

AWESOME! Thanks! I may make them this weekend!

Lordy are we getting it now. :scared1:It is just pouring rain out there and then we have occasional lightening and thunder. When we get that it is right here, loud and bright. At one point there were several of us out of our offices standing in the hallway.

I keep looking at the radar and it is moving in a straight line north right over us.

Stay safe! I hate those crazy storms.

Well, last night was rough - I ran a really high fever all night :confused3 I was so cold that my teeth were chattering, which woke DH up so he found me socks and more clothes to put on. I didn't sleep much. It broke sometime early this morning so I'm at home, resting, and I plan to go into work late this afternoon. I really want to be there tonight for a few things. We'll see!

We'll probably have leftover tacos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter